2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

Be willing to put a little money on there being no surprises with the rest of this cycle's cuts. :)
Any surprises will be minor.

Maybe we should pick a dark horse cut?

Perry won't be cut, but I would hardly be shocked if he was. That's about as close as I can get.

If anybody is surprised that somebody like a Ringo or Backman is cut, their surprise threshold is awfully low.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The seeming lack of interest in these pages in Bulaga's status in both surprising and disappointing. His name has been mentioned in a grand total of 2 posts since the Philly game.
I think it's because he "just" has a sprained ankle and we saw him on the sidelines with a bag of ice on it. If it were more serious he would have been in the locker room with a bag of really cold ice on it. Seriously, I think it's likely he'll miss Thursday's game and start the opener.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's because he "just" has a sprained ankle and we saw him on the sidelines with a bag of ice on it. If it were more serious he would have been in the locker room with a bag of really cold ice on it. Seriously, I think it's likely he'll miss Thursday's game and start the opener.

This. As soon as they mentioned it was more of an ankle "bruise" I never had any reason to be too concerned. No reason to think Bulaga and Hyde won't be available for the opener. There's no reason for either to play this week, or any starter on this team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perry won't be cut, but I would hardly be shocked if he was. That's about as close as I can get.

If anybody is surprised that somebody like a Ringo or Backman is cut, their surprise threshold is awfully low.

These are minimal threshold surprises, but of the pre-season bubble guys, I think R. Neal, Ripkowski, Janis, Elliot, and Gunter are pretty safe. I would be surprised if any of them got cut.

I'm not thrilled about carrying 2 FB's, but I think they will. Both contribute in very different roles at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

Just like Cobb...just a shoulder sprain. No problem. And Hyde's neck spasm? That's can't be serious either.

OTs live and die on footwork and and if you've ever had one of those big old knots the size of golf ball right below the ankle bone you'd know that can be a several week affair. Anyhow, Bulaga strikes me as the kind of guy who take the shots, strap it on and get out there early.

We await the team's report.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If there's a dark horse cut, it might be along the OL. Maybe Tretter? Barclay? Has anyone else peaked high enough to cut one of those?

And yeah, honestly, I don't see any "shock" cuts either. Our 53 will be easy to pick in our sleep...even though Jordy being done for the year, someone semi-not expected will make our roster now.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are minimal threshold surprises, but of the pre-season bubble guys, I think R. Neal, Ripkowski, Janis, Elliot, and Gunter are pretty safe. I would be surprised if any of them got cut.

I'm not thrilled about carrying 2 FB's, but I think they will. Both contribute in very different roles at this point.

I agree. Especially with Gunter. We aren't going to go through another Rolle situation. I think TT learned his lesson there. Gunter is a keeper.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If there's a dark horse cut, it might be along the OL. Maybe Tretter? Barclay? Has anyone else peaked high enough to cut one of those?

And yeah, honestly, I don't see any "shock" cuts either. Our 53 will be easy to pick in our sleep...even though Jordy being done for the year, someone semi-not expected will make our roster now.

Aside of Josh Walker none of the offensive linemen who weren't on the Packers roster last season impressed during preseason. It's possible Walker will make the team over Taylor, Tretter should be safe as the only backup capable of playing center.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really expecting any darkhorse "cuts". We have a fairly decent roster, but there is room for the guys that have jumped out in training camp and preseason and not a lot of other guys that have really done much of anything to standout at all. At least not to me. and there seem to be a few positions they could go light at and just pull someone in later if the need should arise as the season progresses. There's always players going to IR and other things that happen that create natural roster space during a season and the quality at some of these positions is pretty weak. It's not as if players of their caliber are hard to find.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers will have to make eight roster moves today, I will update this post as soon as news become available.

The first move by the team was to release OLB Adrian Hubbard.

H

HardRightEdge

Those are interesting possibilites, not likely at all, but hardly a total shock if it happened.

The Packers are not like some other teams that might generate some surprises because they pressed against the cap. If we regard cap management as at minimum a 2 year proposition, and with cap carryover now in place, teams that are cap strapped will look to replace a vet with a young guy who offers a better cost-for-performance proposition even if he's not likely to be quite the same player in the coming year.

The Packers are not in that situation...yet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Jared Abbrederis has returned to practice today.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Bakhtiari, Sitton and Harris back at practice as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like Cobb...just a shoulder sprain. No problem. And Hyde's neck spasm? That's can't be serious either.

OTs live and die on footwork and and if you've ever had one of those big old knots the size of golf ball right below the ankle bone you'd know that can be a several week affair. Anyhow, Bulaga strikes me as the kind of guy who take the shots, strap it on and get out there early.

We await the team's report.
He has already strapped it up. He practiced today. What a stud.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hubbard isn't a surprise cut at this point, but IMO was a disappointment. I remember when he was signed as an UDFA last year when some had him going in rounds 3-4. So much potential in a big body from a good college program. Maybe he will end up on the PS again or just maybe the Packers never see that potential happening. Last comment I read from a pre-draft scout on him "Has upside if the light bulb comes on". Must not even be flickering.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hubbard isn't a surprise cut at this point, but IMO was a disappointment. I remember when he was signed as an UDFA last year when some had him going in rounds 3-4. So much potential in a big body from a good college program. Maybe he will end up on the PS again or just maybe the Packers never see that potential happening.

I highly doubt the Packers will bring him back to the practice squad as he was one of the first players cut this year.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The report I heard on the radio last week made him sound like a horrible teammate and player. I was shocked.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released QB Matt Blanchard.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released WR James Butler, WR Javess Blue, WR Jimmie Hunt, DB Kyle Sebetic and TE Harold Spears. In addition the team put Jordy Nelson on injured reserve.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

The Packers have released WR James Butler, WR Javess Blue, WR Jimmie Hunt, DB Kyle Sebetic and TE Harold Spears. In addition the team put Jordy Nelson on injured reserve.

check, check, check, check......seems to be going as predicted. The toughest two will be the players that make the final 53 while Jones and Guion sit out their suspensions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any predictions on a surprise cut? There always seems to be one or two.

H

HardRightEdge

No surprise. Maybe PS, but I kinda doubt it. Either way, I hope his time in Green Bay gets him a decent recommendation. Given the choice between throwing this guy on the field in an emergency vs. some of the dismal 3rd. stringers I've seen (yeah, I'm talking about you Lindley, just to name one recent example), I'd just as soon roll the dice with this guy after the perfunctory system acclimation.

Maybe the early release will work in his favor in getting another job.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Sure. Other than Sebatic here and there, I can't recall any of these guys being on the preseason field, though I'm sure they got a few snaps at some point to little affect. These are the kind of guys trying to make a case for the practice squad coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts