2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it is the trap chute, but Pennel's in beast mode thus far. Granted the Pats didn't have their full starting line playing, but he was a man among boys throwing guys aside and blowing up plays.

So far it seems like the assistant o-line coach from SF is a keeper. Lang and Sitton were reported to be excited to be learning new things from him - even after all these years in the league. Short yardage is obviously a work in progress but I think there's reason to think their drive blocking in those situations will improve.

The one fourth down that got blown up was all on Quarless who let the end drive right across his face and make the play. C'mon man.

H

HardRightEdge

OL and DBs aren't the only ones who could use the "Trap Chute". One of the biggest criticisms I've read about Mike Pennel is too often he stands up and loses leverage.
He looked to be improved in that regard in this last game.

H

HardRightEdge

Packers introduce "Trap Chute" apparatus to help offensive linemen to maintain low pad level as well as defensive backs to improve tackling.

New offensive line assistant coach Mike Solari brought the idea with him from the 49ers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...ow-helps-packers-players-get-out-of-the-chute
"Trap" and "Solari" brings another thought to mind, though evidently not in the same sense of "trap".

When talking about those good 49er lines, since partially dismantled, two things were always brought up:

(1) It included 3 first round picks and (2) they were physical.

What isn't noted very often is that SF group was a very good pull/trap group, mixing it up with straight-on zone blocking. Other than Sitton in the last couple of years, I have not seen the Packer line being all that good in the trap/pull game other than some nifty traps last preseason which did not seem to translate to the regular season.

Given Lacy's read/react/cut-back ability, getting some effective pull/trap into the repertoire would be a plus and Solari looks like the guy to do it. He's got some good material to work with.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The best article I’ve read on Pennel so far is the press gazette’s “Pennel, Gaston making move on defensive line”. It talks about how important it is for DL to get a quick arm extension against the OL because it gives him a better line of sight.
So when a defensive lineman can extend his arms, he can see if it’s a run or pass, and react to the ball quicker. Also, if he’s locked tight against a blocker, he tends to lift his head to see, which raises his center of gravity. That means less body control and less ability to get off blocks and make plays. With some defensive linemen, it can take until their third or fourth step to extend their arms fully, if they ever do. With Pennel, it’s almost instantaneous.
They go on to detail a couple of plays by Pennel. That’s really good news if he can keep this up against first string talent. Regarding Gaston:
Not saying that Gaston is as good as Johnny Jolly, but he looks like he has that kind of athleticism.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...l-gaston-making-move-defensive-line/31770125/

The authors, Dougherty and Eric Baranczyk, say Pennel and Gaston are ahead of Thornton and Boyd so far and IMO that’s great news. I don't care if talent comes from the draft, UDFA (Pennel) or from another team's PS (Gaston). Yes it's early, but the early reviews for both players are positive and the Packers need depth on the DL.

H

HardRightEdge

The best article I’ve read on Pennel so far is the press gazette’s “Pennel, Gaston making move on defensive line”. It talks about how important it is for DL to get a quick arm extension against the OL because it gives him a better line of sight. They go on to detail a couple of plays by Pennel. That’s really good news if he can keep this up against first string talent. Regarding Gaston: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...l-gaston-making-move-defensive-line/31770125/

The authors, Dougherty and Eric Baranczyk, say Pennel and Gaston are ahead of Thornton and Boyd so far and IMO that’s great news. I don't care if talent comes from the draft, UDFA (Pennel) or from another team's PS (Gaston). Yes it's early, but the early reviews for both players are positive and the Packers need depth on the DL.
Or you could have read much the same the thing in my post game notes that preceded that piece. ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released WR Adrian Coxson, who wasn't able to return after suffering a concussion during the third practice of camp.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers may have found a gem at inside linebacker:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was Clay Matthews until he showed up at around the 1 minute mark

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Clay Matthews will miss today's practice with an elbow injury. Bakhtiari most likely won't play on Sunday vs. the Steelers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Nick Perry, Casey Hayward, Letroy Guion and Bruce Gaston have returned to practice today.

Morgan Burnett isn't participating today.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

While McCarthy said Matthews will miss practice with an elbow injury he is participating after all.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

T.J. Lang and Scott Tolzien both suffered a concussion vs. the Steelers and are going through the protocol.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy indicates Brett Hundley and Matt Blanchard could get playing time vs. Eagles #1 defense on Saturday.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Abby stood around watching practice today. Typically represents he is near the end of the concussion protocol.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers made five cuts today. The team released ILBs Tavarus Dantzler and Josh Francis, OL Fabbians Ebbele and Vince Kowalski and DL Lavon Hooks

H

HardRightEdge

The seeming lack of interest in these pages in Bulaga's status is both surprising and disappointing. His name has been mentioned in a grand total of 2 posts since the Philly game.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The seeming lack of interest in these pages in Bulaga's status in both surprising and disappointing. His name has been mentioned in a grand total of 2 posts since the Philly game.

Heh, maybe because people figure it's a given that he'll miss 2-16 games, so why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts