1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

2011 NFL Draft: Round 3, Pick 32, Overall 96 - Alex Green, RB, Hawaii

Discussion in '2011 Draft Archive' started by Wood Chipper, Apr 29, 2011.

1. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Doubt it. Aaron never would have played with him at Butte. His brother however...

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    I was actually referring to Mike Maylock..I respect his opinions 100%...

3. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    im agreeing with packisback that kiper is an idiot. i have no opinion on maylock.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    I think we might need an age requirement to register for the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
  6. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    A nice fit, I like this pick more and more now, 8.2 avg yards per carry??? are you kidding me?

7. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Fellas- With all due love and respect for all of you, will you please shut the f**k up and move it elsewhere? No one here gives a crap about any of the points you think you're trying to make. We'd like to discuss our draft picks in peace without having the mods argue and bicker and whine and point fingers and blow raspberries and fart in each others general directions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

8. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
    LOL it was moved....

9. PackisBack

PackisBack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    I still think it's a really deceiving stat line. Watch a couple of his best runs, he has holes that people like you and me could run through, and then gets chased down from behind and arm tackled by DBs.

Also remember that a lot of college backs get a higher average than the average in the pros. CJ Spiller averaged 7.27 in his last year at Clemson and did nothing in the pros this past season.

10. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    I don't care what you say about the division he was in, his opponents, his holes etc.... this guy makes people MISS!

I think he could be the 3rd down back we've longed for

11. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I find it incredible that people are complaining about a guy they never saw play a full game.

12. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Of course they are. It's the same old story, year after year. Fans always want the sexy, big name pick and Ted does what he does best- Proves them wrong.

Frankly, I find it incredible people still aren't willing to give Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and their staff the benefit of the doubt at this point. We won the friggin Super Bowl and are set up for long term success doing things their way, yet fans still seem to want to bitch and whine about the way they do business.

13. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    WOW been watching some videos and reading some articles on this guy. He is an absolute monster, Big Physical runner with great speed and just enough wiggle/juke to last a long time in the nfl. I could see him being a huge contributor, really liking this guy a lot.

14. Big E

Big E Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    On ESPN3.com, they have replays of some of the games from the season. They have the replay of the Hawaii game vs. New Mexico State. I figure that I can kill two birds with one stone and see both Alex Green and Davon House in action. So I just checked the box score for this game, Alex Green had 327 rushing yards and 3 TDs and Davon House had a pick six. After my finals are done, I'm definitely watching this game!

15. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Alex Green has major potential. Worried about his fumbling. My guess is he'll replace Brandon Jackson as the 3rd down back. Huge upgrade!!!

16. Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead Brittany Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +181
  17. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I dunno, I'm still waiting to see if I can get my mind around this pick. I'm really hoping you all can rag on me for doubting this pick next year. I WANT to be wrong. I just can't see how we needed it. I really think he's another Starks and we had one of those. I guess you can never have too many good football players though.
    If the injury bug hits at RB I'll be happy he's on the roster, things looked REAL dim during the middle of last season.

18. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Don't get me wrong, I'm also questioning this pick. I never saw it coming, and I wouldn't have done it.

There's a difference between questioning a pick and labelling it as a bad move, when you have never seen the guy actually play.

19. BadgerDiscer

BadgerDiscer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just not sure a guy with Green's size can ever really be a third down back. He sounds like he could be an impressive addition to the Pack, but all the clips show him running through holes big enough for a dump truck to go through. Here's hoping he has every success in Green Bay. Ted Thompson said he was another good character pick, but that is all I heard on that score.

20. NFLroughdraft

NFLroughdraft Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Green was a solid choice, but I would have loved to have seen what Taiwan Jones could have done in this offense.

21. MelrosE

MelrosE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree, although I wouldn't have minded Jacquizz Rodgers either. I think Taiwan and Jrodgers would've given us that other element/3rd down back. But who knows, I like this Alex Green kid, we'll just have to wait and see how he turns out, he's got all the tools to be great.

22. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    He'll be good... until he tears his ACL his rookie year....

23. Sirscorps

Sirscorps Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I wish that GB would've drafted Taiwan Jones, who Oakland ended up taking. You look @ Green's highlights & he rarely gets touched until he's @ least 5-10 yds. down the field. He's not going to see holes half that big in the nfl. I thought he was ok in the exhibition season & did an excellent job on the screen pass that he took for a TD.

24. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Popped right up after the hits... until his knee popped first... He seems to have much to offer so lets hope it doesn't affect his play too much. FTR I hated this pick.

25. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Comparable to Steven Jackson or Chris Johnson. While he looks the part more of a Steven Jackson, I feel like he runs more like C.J. Like the -1, 2, 3, 2, 36 statlines. But this kid can catch passes out of the backfield. He's got size. Burst. Surprised me with his cuts especially against the Colts on his 41 yd. scamper. Good pass-blocker coming out of Hawaii. Understands the Packers offense well.

Packers still haven't left him much duties on pass blocking. Which was one of his supposed strengths coming out of Hawaii. This worries me. He also hasn't shown great field vision as I've seen him pile into numerous piles of lineman in front of him after recieving the handoff. Admittedly, this could partly attributed to the O-line. Defenders still catch up to him on breakaway runs we witnessed also against the Colts. So he doesn't have breakaway speed. Like to see more strength out of this big of a guy when he's hitting defenders. NOT a goal line back.

Overall, he's a certain type of running back. He's not for everyone. We're all used to the Ray Rice's and MJD's. This is not Alex. That being said, this guys still got a lot of upside. I can see him starting for us in the next 2 years. If he can keep cutting as good as he did last week, I can see him following in the other notable Packers running back named Green's, footsteps.