2011 NFL Draft: Round 1, Pick 32, Overall 32 - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we got a steal, then.

I'm gradually warming to this. I'm coming around on it. And if we address OLB early tomorrow then I'll be totally happy with this pick.

A couple more pages of comments in the thread and we could have you loving our new Mr Sherrod, Jess!

I have had all evening at work to think about this pick, and I have come to the conclusion that I am happy about it. Leadership, ability, work ethic, I think he will fit in our locker room just fine.
Don't think for a second TT was thinking twice about taking him, he was merely waiting to see if any crazy trades came his way, they didn't so he picked.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that Sherrod projects better on the left than Bulaga. Sherrod is more athletic and can mirror defenders better than Bulaga. One of if not the best pass blocker in this draft. His weakness is his run blocking. He comes out with too high of a pad level in run blocking and he's not overly strong like many of the best run blockers in the game.

I think this was mentioned but he hasn't given up a sack since his sophomore year and was on the All-SEC team for the last 2 years. Pretty impressive. IF he pans out, Rodgers is set at tackles for the remainder of his career. And with Sitton, our OL isn't too bad which reminds me...

Anyone want to commend on how TT systematically fixed a problem. 51 sacks two years ago. He didn't panic or freak out or sign a bunch of free agents. He trusted his system and one year from now we may have a top 10 o line in football. That would be 3 years for our biggest weakness to become one of our biggest strengths. Impressive.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that Sherrod projects better on the left than Bulaga. Sherrod is more athletic and can mirror defenders better than Bulaga. One of if not the best pass blocker in this draft. His weakness is his run blocking. He comes out with too high of a pad level in run blocking and he's not overly strong like many of the best run blockers in the game.

I think this was mentioned but he hasn't given up a sack since his sophomore year and was on the All-SEC team for the last 2 years. Pretty impressive. IF he pans out, Rodgers is set at tackles for the remainder of his career. And with Sitton, our OL isn't too bad which reminds me...

Anyone want to commend on how TT systematically fixed a problem. 51 sacks two years ago. He didn't panic or freak out or sign a bunch of free agents. He trusted his system and one year from now we may have a top 10 o line in football. That would be 3 years for our biggest weakness to become one of our biggest strengths. Impressive.

"In his last three seasons, Mississippi State scored 62 times on the ground with Sherrod recording 44 of those touchdown-resulting blocks."

I'd say that's a good stat for someone who isn't a good run blocker!

Most places I've read have him down as being a good run blocker.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walterfootball.com scouting report:

Strengths:
Coveted height and size
Able to play left tackle
Skilled pass blocker
Protects edge rushers well
Can mirror defenders in space
Gets to second level and blocks downfield
Intelligent and very high character
Tons of experience against top competition

Weaknesses:
Must get stronger and add bulk
Tends to lunge
Balance issues
Run blocking needs work
Mild demeanor; has to finish blocks
Look up almost any scouting reports on him and the general consistent is he's mediocre or less at run blocking and a very skilled and athletic pass blocker. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bad mouth the guy or anything. I really do love the pick. I'm excited we finally took a really athletic tackle who can potentially hold off speed rushers well. He's also a high character, hard working type so that, too, gets me excited.

Also, I feel in general it is easier for strong pass blockers to become better run blockers than it is for strong run blockers to become better pass blockers. Pass blockers are generally more athletic while run blockers are bigger and stronger. Pass blockers can bulk up in the weight room while run blockers can't simply add athleticism.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walterfootball.com scouting report:

Strengths:
Coveted height and size
Able to play left tackle
Skilled pass blocker
Protects edge rushers well
Can mirror defenders in space
Gets to second level and blocks downfield
Intelligent and very high character
Tons of experience against top competition

Weaknesses:
Must get stronger and add bulk
Tends to lunge
Balance issues
Run blocking needs work
Mild demeanor; has to finish blocks
Look up almost any scouting reports on him and the general consistent is he's mediocre or less at run blocking and a very skilled and athletic pass blocker. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bad mouth the guy or anything. I really do love the pick. I'm excited we finally took a really athletic tackle who can potentially hold off speed rushers well. He's also a high character, hard working type so that, too, gets me excited.

Also, I feel in general it is easier for strong pass blockers to become better run blockers than it is for strong run blockers to become better pass blockers. Pass blockers are generally more athletic while run blockers are bigger and stronger. Pass blockers can bulk up in the weight room while run blockers can't simply add athleticism.
Funnily enough, when listening to the D list today, they had a short segment with opinions on Sherrod, and every opinion was that he was a great run blocker (Mississipi State was a primarily rushing team, and they rushed for a lot of yards last year) who needed to improve in his pass blocking.

I'm hearing very different opinions on this kid. From the little I've seen in the highlights, he's very nimble-feeted, kinda like Clifton, he mirrors very well in the passing game, and he's very good at pulling/trapping and at the second level in the running game, but he sometimes plays too high in the running game in the first level.

For what we do, the ZBS, he's very good at both run and pass blocking, because he's very good at the second level. What he struggles is with power blocking, which we don't ask much out of our OLs anyway.

I fully expect him to struggle early on, but, much as with Bulaga, settle down after 5 or so games, and develop into a pro bowler.

BTW, speaking of the D-List, they had an interesting question.
Favre (8 ), Clifton (2) and Tauscher (0) combined for 10 pro bowls in their career.
Do you think that Rodgers (1) Bulaga (0) and Sherrod (0) will have more?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a great description of Sherrod. I agree 100%.
Draft Prospect #5 - Acme Packing Company

Continuing my series on the Packers most likely picks w/ the 32nd overall selection in the NFL draft... This player enters the NFL draft after a highly productive 4 yr career in the very competitive SEC. He is a player who fits a team and scheme need and is generally considered among the top 20-35 prospects.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Derek Sherrod is a 6'5" 320 lb OT from Miss. St... Sherrod has many of the traits NFL teams look for in a protoypical LT. He has 3 yrs starting experience in the ultra-competitive SEC,and what I consider to be near perfect height, wt and length for a LT! He has a couple of blemishes on his profile that can be easy to overlook when considered against the potential of gaining a decade long starter at the all-important LT position. The blemishes though come with a buyer beware label, due to them being among the likely culprits of a potential bust. Sherrod is a high-cut OT. By this I mean he has his best measurements somewhat upside down. He has broad shoulders and somewhat narrow hips for an NFL OL, which can cause problems in both pass protection and run blocking. His other issue is that he seems at times to lack a killer instinct and can be percieved as timid or lacking aggressiveness. These traits tho, may simply be a bye-product of his build.
In run blocking, Sherrod is mostly viewed as a shield blocker. He gets in front of a defender and shields him when blocking instead of driving his opponent backwards. He simply is not the effective drive blocker that most teams prefer at OT. Due to his upside down build, Sherrod lacks the "Junk in the Trunk" to power defenders backwards. His percieved lack of aggressiveness, might simply be that he lacks the Bubble (wide hips and glute development) needed to dominate in run blocking. Sherrod however isn't totally lacking in ability while run blocking. He has the excellent feet and athleticism, which allow him to block in space and be quite effective in combination blocking. He uses his quickness and agility to get to the 2nd level and carry out his blocks downfield. These are actually good traits for teams that use the zone blocking scheme and rely on athletic lineman who can block downfield.

Read the rest in the link. I completely agree with him. IMHO, he was the second best OT prospect for us, after Tyron Smith.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I really do worry about in pass blocking are his balance issues due to his upside down build. But I mean he didn't allow a sack in 2years so maybe I'm just overstating this.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Talking strictly as a fan here, imagine the Detroit front line smashing through and clobbering the franchise. I dont' know how anybody can say this isn't a good pick. The only thing I worry about is not being able to keep our QB off the ground if Cliffy goes down. Everything else can be managed. I'd have been disappointed if Sherrod wasn't available and they drafted Carpenter, but thanks to the Seahags for helping us.
I would not be even slightly surprised to see us move up in this round to get some more of that talent that's waiting. PLEASE don't draft a running back, it's so far down on the list.
I think we're gonna sit and wait to see who falls though..

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a great pick.

I really don't get the Bowers love. The guy is a 4-3 DE only, and his knee is basically done.

But staying on topic, Sherrod reminds me of Clifton. Clifton had better feet, but Sherrod is bigger and more athletic. He needs to spend some time in the weight room to add strenght, but with Clifton still there, this pick solidifies Rodgers' bookends for the next 15 years.

If we had one really though position, was this. I think our OL is gonna be a real strenght in one year, with all the young kids (Bulaga, Sherrod, Sitton, Lang) improved.

I totally agree with you on this being a good pick and on Bowers. I am really wanting us to get a smart and real strong OG. I have never really been much of a D. Colledge fan.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC8ShOt-Mbc]YouTube - Green Bay Packers Draft OT Derek Sherrod #32 Overall in 2011 NFL Draft[/ame]

BadgerDiscer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am most impressed with the fact that the majority of his weaknesses can be rectified by work in the weight room and coaching on technique. My understanding is he is a good character player - meaning he likely to be coachable and hard-working, as well as being unlikely to run into off-field problems.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was on his way to becoming good, until Marshall Newhouse let Tamba Hali around him for the 20th time in the game and then let Hali slam into the planted Sherrod, breaking his leg in 2 places.
It's hard to come back the same from something like that.

I hate knee/leg injuries! Dammit.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This was a solid pick, not the flashy one I wanted, but a good pick nonetheless. "Durable" until the guy behind him positionally in the roster sends a monster DE turned LB crashing straight into his leg to grab the starting spot (I know that's not what happened, but seriously, FRUIT BASKET FLOWERS CARD KIT N KABOODLE. You hear me Newhouse?) As a tackle he showed a lot of potential and I hope he can athletically continue to do so. Otherwise he'll bench at guard (hopefully with the saboteur). Pray to whatever Gods you believe in (If you're going to use Rodgers Matthews or TT just send a letter) Best of luck in recovery Sherrod, get well and get back out there

Members online

Latest posts