2011 NFL Draft: Round 1, Pick 32, Overall 32 - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Stealing this from RS's post below:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HG8AW-S198"]YouTube - Derek Sherrod Highlights[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCKA2Y__v6c"]YouTube - Football Player Interviews with Derek Sherrod[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmI6EvsnWU"]YouTube - Mississippi State Offense vs. Kentucky 2010 Every Snap[/ame]

Strengths:
• Ideal height and good bulk with large hands
• Quick and agile with above average athleticism
• Light on feet. Able to slide and mirror laterally
• Good footwork, balance and body control
• Technically sound and uses his hands well
• Understands positioning and angles
• Great pass blocker and can protect the edge
• Does a solid job in the run game as a drive blocker
• Effective in space and can get to the second level
• Smart with excellent instincts and awareness
• Mature, hard working and a leader
• Is tough and has proven to be durable
• Tons of experience versus top competition

Weaknesses:
• Just average strength and overall power
• Doesn't have real long arms but adequate
• Will get tall and lose leverage at times
• Not overly stout at the point of attack
• Has some trouble anchoring and sustaining
• Isn't a dominant road grading run blocker
• Not overly aggressive and may lack a killer instinct

Notes:
Was a three-year starter at left tackle for the Bulldogs and served as a team captain --- Brother, Dezmond, also played at Mississippi State as a tight end (2003-2007), spent some time with the Pittsburgh Steelers and is currently with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL --- Also had scholarship offers from schools like Florida, Miami (FL), Notre Dame and Michigan --- Saw extensive action in a backup capacity as a true freshman in '07 --- Missed one game with a foot infection in '08 --- Was named 1st Team All-SEC in 2010 --- Also excelled in the classroom, graduating *** Laude with a degree in business and receiving the NFF Scholar-Athlete Award --- The type who does everything well but nothing great --- Possesses both the physical tools and intangibles that you look for in a left tackle prospect --- Not particularly flashy but very consistent and arguably the best all - around blocker in this class.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Derek-Sherrod.php

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/draft/players/1273478

Analysis
Pass blocking: Good initial quickness. Eases out of his stance and has the lateral agility and balance to mirror the defender. Good hand strength and has long arms that he uses to latch onto and control his opponent. Generally plays with good knee-bend and leverage, but can lose his anchor when he tires. Can become fundamentally lazy and lean into the defender; gets knocked off-balance and gives up the inside lane. Should improve in this area with greater focus on his technique, but has an upside-down triangle build due to broad shoulders and relatively narrow hips, making him top-heavy and susceptible to being overpowered. Among his better attributes is his recognition. Recognizes the blitz coming and gets a good initial pop on his primary target (defensive end) before passing him off to the guard and working his way outside to catch the rushing linebacker or stunting defensive tackle.

Run blocking: Comes off the ball too high and lacks the pad level and power to consistently knock defenders off the line. Good quickness and hand strength to turn and seal off defenders from the play. Good recognition to release from double-team and get out to the second level. Scouts would like to see him finish blocks with more authority before releasing.
Pulling/trapping: Good initial quickness to release to the second level, but has only average agility to re-direct in the open field. Locates his target, but has to do a better job of anticipating where the defender is going. Isn't fluid enough to change direction and hit the moving target. Too often extends his arms, "catching" the linebacker, which could result in penalty flags when playing against NFL-caliber athletes. Good trap blocker due to his initial quickness, big frame and recognition.

Initial Quickness: Good, though not elite, initial quickness off the snap. Has the agility and long arms to handle most right defensive ends (and thus remain at left tackle), but due to the fact that he is a bit top-heavy and lacks elite balance, is susceptible to quick jab-steps outside and spin or counter moves back to the inside. Is quick enough in the running game to turn and seal off the defender, creating a wall from which the running back can bounce off from.

Downfield: Gives good effort to block downfield. Above-average straight-line speed, though his average balance keeps him from being as effective at the second level as his speed and size would indicate. Gets in the way of defenders and has the wingspan to alter their path, but struggles re-directing his charge.

Intangibles: Was one of 16 players to win the storied National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame (NFF) Award, which includes a post-graduate $18,000 scholarship. Earned his degree in business with a 3.54 GPA. Is the third Bulldog to win the award and the first since 1989. Team leader voted a captain in 2010. A four-year member of the M-Club, MSU's student-athlete community service organization, he has spent considerable time with the youth of Mississippi. He has served breakfast at Sudduth Elementary School, participated in Sudduth's Kids Fair and read to local students to promote literacy. He has also organized a Thanksgiving food drive.

--Rob Rang

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I opened it now so people know we have a thread made..

So if you make a thread on the Packers 1st round pick/trade and it gets merged to here...Deal with it

:Heristical:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Name: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Derek Sherrod[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]
College: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Mississippi State[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Number: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]79[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Height:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 6-5[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Weight:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 321[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Position: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]OT[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pos2:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] OG[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Class/Draft Year:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Sr/2011[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 Time:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5.18[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 Low:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5.12[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 High:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5.32[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Projected Round: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1-2[/SIZE][/FONT] Stock:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]High:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Late 1[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Low:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Rated number [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5[/SIZE][/FONT] out of 87 OT's[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]25[/SIZE][/FONT] / 2088 TOTAL[/SIZE][/FONT]

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derek Sherrod

there's our pick, what do you guys think? looks like a good pick to help shore up the OL between him and Bulaga for years to come

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HG8AW-S198]YouTube - Derek Sherrod Highlights[/ame]

"Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 9-1-10: #5 OT, #25/750 Overall, 2
2010: An All-SEC selection in 2009 and 2010, Sherrod helped pave the way for the Bulldogs to lead the SEC and finish ninth nationally in rushing with 227.6 yards per game. This season, Sherrod has helped Mississippi State bulldoze its way to 219.3 rushing yards per game, which ranks 15th nationally. He has helped the top 25 Bulldogs achieve their most wins since 2007. The team captain has started 34 games and appeared in 46 contests for his career...2009: Selected All-Southeastern Conference Second Team by the SEC Coaches...Helped pave the way for the Mississippi State running attack that finished the regular season ranked ninth nationally with a 227.58 yard-per-game average. The Bulldog offensive line allowed just 20 sacks on the season, down from 36 the year prior. Sherrod lead the team in blocking grades nine times, and posted a remarkable 97 percent grade in State's season-ending win over its in-state rival...2008: Played in 11 games, starting 10 times at left tackle . . . Did not play in the season opener at Louisiana Tech due to injury, and did not start Week 2 . . .2007: Played in all but two games (11 of 13) during regular season in his freshman season at Mississippi State . . . Failed to see game action only in the season opener against LSU and in Week 5 at South Carolina."

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
with detroits beefed up d-line we needed some o-line so in that regard i'm happy. My heart wanted bowers, but my brain says that getting the best available isnt always the best choice.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HG8AW-S198]YouTube - Derek Sherrod Highlights[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCKA2Y__v6c]YouTube - Football Player Interviews with Derek Sherrod[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmI6EvsnWU]YouTube - Mississippi State Offense vs. Kentucky 2010 Every Snap[/ame]
Draft Preview: Derek Sherrod

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well Bowers would have fit in the Packers' 3-4 defense. I still wanted Brooks Reed but Sherrod will help keep Rodgers healthy so I can't complain too much.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we got a good value OT for the second year running. I guess we can't complain with that. It's good to see we're taking measures in keeping our MVP safe for the future.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great pick. I was thinking Houston, but Sherrod is a fine project who should fit in nicely on the Packers OL.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really happy with it. I think the o-line is an area of concern, it can certainly use some reinforcements and I think Sherrod is up to the task. So, welcome to The Pack, Sherrod!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a great pick.

I really don't get the Bowers love. The guy is a 4-3 DE only, and his knee is basically done.

But staying on topic, Sherrod reminds me of Clifton. Clifton had better feet, but Sherrod is bigger and more athletic. He needs to spend some time in the weight room to add strenght, but with Clifton still there, this pick solidifies Rodgers' bookends for the next 15 years.

If we had one really though position, was this. I think our OL is gonna be a real strenght in one year, with all the young kids (Bulaga, Sherrod, Sitton, Lang) improved.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is reasonably well rated amongst most analysts. One thing I personally like about him is that he was a team captain and leader, something that I covert in all sports I follow are great leaders. I believe our D was excellent when Hawk took over the play calling at the line, and this kid has the smarts to fall into line.
Can Bulaga become a great blindside tackle? well I hope so, and if he does this could be a very smart move by TT

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is reasonably well rated amongst most analysts. One thing I personally like about him is that he was a team captain and leader, something that I covert in all sports I follow are great leaders. I believe our D was excellent when Hawk took over the play calling at the line, and this kid has the smarts to fall into line.
Can Bulaga become a great blindside tackle? well I hope so, and if he does this could be a very smart move by TT
I think with Sherrod you keep Bulaga at RT.

Doesn't matter anyway, the way we spread the field all the time, the RT has to pass block as well as the LT.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm indifferent. It's boring. It's a boring pick.

And I realize that has nothing to do with anything and that boring picks are often the best picks, but I'm having a tough time getting fired up about this one.

I trust Ted, he clearly knows how to build this team, so if he thinks this was the guy this must be the guy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bowers doesn't fit in our D-scheme.
I like the Pick, but now I gotta change the nickname of our OL from The White Wall to...... ?

Some speculate that Bulaga will kick to LG now, and Sherrod play RT, with Clifton still at LT. Then when Clifton is done, Bulaga moves to Tackle.

Either way, I like investing in the OL to protect the franchize Arod.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm indifferent. It's boring. It's a boring pick.

And I realize that has nothing to do with anything and that boring picks are often the best picks, but I'm having a tough time getting fired up about this one.

I trust Ted, he clearly knows how to build this team, so if he thinks this was the guy this must be the guy.

you mean you wont be watching highlight tapes all night?!?!

Members online

Latest posts