2010 Draft - Round 5, Pick 23, Overall Pick 154: Andrew Quarless

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Andrew Quarless for their forth pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Andrew Quarless (TE)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 254 lbs.
Arm Length: 34 in.
Hand Size: 10 1/4 in.
College: Penn State
Conference: Big 10

Pick Analysis:
The Packers add Andrew Quarless to their deep tight end corps. The Penn State product has intriguing skills, and could blossom into a solid player in Green Bay's system. If he can manage his off-field issues, he may turn out to be a good value pick for the Packers at this point.

Overview:
After three years of inconsistency and off-the-field issues, Quarless finished off his senior year with 41 receptions and an excellent Bowl game against LSU where he caught a team-high eight passes. Quarless had two issues with underage drinking, one in 2008 where he was charged for DUI and one in 2007. He is a good sized TE with athleticism and body control going for him but needs to learn to take care of business in the offseason if he wants to impress coaches at the next level. He does not block as strong as someone his size should and is not very aggressive when blocking in line.

Strengths:
Quarless has ideal size and bulk. Very athletic for his size with fluid hips and a second gear to stretch the field. Natural pass-catcher who can contort his body to make catches away from his chest and in traffic.

Weaknesses:
Has concerns about work ethic and attention to detail. Struggles to diagnose coverage and shed with his hands. Despite size lacks good strength and slips off a lot of blocks. Takes too many plays off. Does not have the moves needed to be elusive in the open field.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big ten tight end...iffy at best. I'd like to see what he does in pre-season before I judge this one. He could be a good backup if Finley goes down.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I feel like this might be the death of Donald Lee. If this guy performs halfway decent in camp/preseason, that is.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big ten tight end...iffy at best. I'd like to see what he does in pre-season before I judge this one. He could be a good backup if Finley goes down.

I feel like this might be the death of Donald Lee. If this guy performs halfway decent in camp/preseason, that is.
Both of this...

Still, I hate this pick. Hate it till proven otherwise. He's not gonna cover or rush the passer for us, and there's only one ball to be thrown, and we've got already 5 talented guys to receive.

If it was Hernandez, I wouldn't have minded. But I can't even remember this kid playing at PSU...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there was a run on for TE as we saw so TT probably figured this kid was not going to be available after a couple of picks? I didn't think we should've been picking a TE anyway.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there was a run on for TE as we saw so TT probably figured this kid was not going to be available after a couple of picks? I didn't think we should've been picking a TE anyway.
zoltan mesko wasnt going to be around in the 6th so we shoulda drafted him in the second to make sure we got him

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind it. You gotta have 2 TE's and Finley can't do it all. Whenever Lee gets a chance to make a big play, he drops the ball. I think this was a good move in the overall scheme of things, I just wish we could have gotten a CB or OLB

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
This is our only pick, other than maybe that RB starks, that I don't like very much. This was a reach, we dont have a glaring NEED at TE like other positions. HE doesnt have great production, not a great motor, since he would be the 2nd TE he would be mainly a blocking TE and he doesnt BLOCK.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is our only pick, other than maybe that RB starks, that I don't like very much. This was a reach, we dont have a glaring NEED at TE like other positions. HE doesnt have great production, not a great motor, since he would be the 2nd TE he would be mainly a blocking TE and he doesnt BLOCK.
Agreed. TE is honestly probably the least of the needs we should be worried about, with Finley, Lee and Havner who I think will pan out to be much better than Lee and this Quarless kid.
Waste of a pick, imo.

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree its a reach but..... before we burn tt house down look at his stuff he runs a 4.58 40 time thats stupid fast for a te. ya i know some people will say 40 time doesnt matter but i wanna see him and finley in a two te set we would have the two most athletic te in league on the field at the same time.

THIS ALSO TELLS ME THE PACKERS WANT FINLEY TO BE OUT WIDE ALOT MORE LOOOK OUT CB'S

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
yeah, i just feel like there was a lot of TE's in this draft, and there were still some DB's left in that 5th round that might have covered more of a need in my opinion. No doubt about quarless' athletic ability, but all I am hearing is that he doesnt work ******* or off the field.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless is a Finley clone. Well he has the potential to be anyways. I think he can get over the problems he had at PSU. After Paterno gave him another chance, Quarless stopped all the ******** and got his act together. He had a really good senior season. Quarless is first round talent and fell because of his off the field issues. I think it's a great choice to take a chance on him, especially when he looks like he's gotten his life back on track. Like people have said beforehand, Finley and Quarless on the field together is gonna be one hell of a duo.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree because the more weapons you have the more problems you create for the defense. This guy is player and in a 2 TE set he'll be excellent. Much better then either Hafner or Lee. Anyway, many of our picks weren't the **** kinds that makes you say wow but just give them a chance,

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like i said above i think we drafted him to be more of a true te, because i think finley will be out wide alot even more then the year before. lets face it nobody can cover finley....... bring it revis

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like i said above i think we drafted him to be more of a true te, because i think finley will be out wide alot even more then the year before. lets face it nobody can cover finley....... bring it revis
There's only one person that can cover Finley...

Lucky for us, he wears the #21 in Green and Gold...

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here is a good video on quarless.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqhQW82fszw]YouTube - WHVL Blue White Tailgate 2009 report: Andrew Quarless[/ame]

callmejr69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im an LSU fan and I saw what this guy could do in the Capital One Bowl. Really not a bad pick up. Real athletic kid but struggles with consistency on and off the field. Maybe the Pack can get the most out of him. I think he can complement Finley real nicely.

Members online

Latest posts