2010 Draft - Round 3, Pick 7, Overall Pick 71: Morgan Burnett

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy can do both. He is a hard hitter and good on the blitz. I like the idea of having a SS who has good ball skills. It is an asset to a 3-4 defense that relies on flexibility and players that can fly around and have multiple responsibilities.
sooo hes bob sanders?.. he played how many games last year..sorry im just not a fan of safetys that weigh under 200 pounds

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy was a steal!!! And yes he can play both SS and FS. He's even had reps at LB/Nickel CB so that helps too. I thought this was a great pick. I think that the Packers are pretty much done. The next few picks should mostly be luxury picks that we could use sparingly. WAY TO GO TT!!
so no longer do we need an inside linebacker, outside linebacker, or a corner back.. wow morgan better be one good safety

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so no longer do we need an inside linebacker, outside linebacker, or a corner back.. wow morgan better be one good safety

Let me rephrase that, we don't really need someone to come in and start away. You're perfectly right in that we need another OLB and CB but I see some really good ones still available. No loss if there's still value left on the board.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I think TT paniced when Mays was taken, and he probably felt that this was the last S on the board that had starter written on him. I like his ball-hawk skills he should fit right in with collins and woodson. As long as he puts on a little wait, and is willing to support the run, he could play next to collins for the next 7-8 years.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick. The knock on taking plays off in college does not scare me. I don't think that players like Woodson, Barnett, Harris, etc. will let him routinely 'take plays off'. The kid can ball, and that's what I like.
Well said. I don't think he's 'taking plays off'. There is a think called cariovascular conditioning, which he may have lacked, but at the professional level and with guys like you said (Woodson, Harris) he won't have the time to rest.
In my eyes he's going to be a star.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sooo hes bob sanders?.. he played how many games last year..sorry im just not a fan of safetys that weigh under 200 pounds
He's 210...

Don't overreact, man... The guy had 14 ints in 3 years at college... That's just ridiculous...

He's not a GREAT run supporter. He tackles well, but takes some bad angles at the LOS.

But he's a playmaker, ballhawking S...

Lots of scouts rated him as the 4th best S, behind Berry, Thomas and Nate Allen (yes, ahead of Mays).

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's 210...

Don't overreact, man... The guy had 14 ints in 3 years at college... That's just ridiculous...

He's not a GREAT run supporter. He tackles well, but takes some bad angles at the LOS.

But he's a playmaker, ballhawking S...

Lots of scouts rated him as the 4th best S, behind Berry, Thomas and Nate Allen (yes, ahead of Mays).
oh wow i saw a sight that had him listed as 5"9 189.. big difference now lol

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is there any pick you like? Sorry it just seems you tend to rip TT for every pick he has made in the past two years.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where Spanish Rose is coming from ivo... that was a tough draft to watch for someone who wanted to see a corner or outside linebacker. Ted did what he always does... goes for the hidden gems. The only "****" pick he had was Bulaga and he fell in his lap. His picks are generally safe... that said...

I really don't feel like we address the most glaring weaknesses. I loved the offensive line picks, but on the defensive side of the ball... I don't know that we got that much better for 2010. My major goal for the draft was to bring in someone to compete for the Nickel packages...and to learn from Woodson and Harris. I like the Burnett pick alright, but I really wanted to see us go get a corner.

So I see why Spanish Rose gets so mad.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where Spanish Rose is coming from ivo... that was a tough draft to watch for someone who wanted to see a corner or outside linebacker. Ted did what he always does... goes for the hidden gems. The only "****" pick he had was Bulaga and he fell in his lap. His picks are generally safe... that said...

I really don't feel like we address the most glaring weaknesses. I loved the offensive line picks, but on the defensive side of the ball... I don't know that we got that much better for 2010. My major goal for the draft was to bring in someone to compete for the Nickel packages...and to learn from Woodson and Harris. I like the Burnett pick alright, but I really wanted to see us go get a corner.

So I see why Spanish Rose gets so mad.

I meant him ripping Raji, Finley, CM3, Burnett, and pretty much every other pick in the past couple years besides Buluga. I just wish he wouldnt jump on the board dropping F bombs like a 15 year old kid.

If you look at Teds number of draft picks that are still on the team you see he is one of the best at what he does. Its one thing to say, huh I wonder why we took a (insert random position), its another to jump on here and scream the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!

I made the mistake myself of letting my emotions get the best of me when the whole favre thing was going down, but looking back Ted clearly knew what he was doing, and I dont think I will ever prejudge him to that degree again.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yesss thats much better.. now i feel much better about this pick.. makes perfect sense now

I meant him ripping Raji, Finley, CM3, Burnett, and pretty much every other pick in the past couple years besides Buluga. I just wish he wouldnt jump on the board dropping F bombs like a 15 year old kid.

If you look at Teds number of draft picks that are still on the team you see he is one of the best at what he does. Its one thing to say, huh I wonder why we took a (insert random position), its another to jump on here and scream the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!

I made the mistake myself of letting my emotions get the best of me when the whole favre thing was going down, but looking back Ted clearly knew what he was doing, and I dont think I will ever prejudge him to that degree again.
show me where i thought raji was a bad pick.. i didnt know if i wanted him before the pick but once it was made i liked it.. i wasnt even on this forum when finley was drafted.. burnett read above.. matthews is the only one and i completely admit im wrong and i now love him..chico im just voicing my opinion like everyone else can.. because i do it differently dont judge me

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I know everyone wanted a CB, I did too, but TT must have some faith in Brandon Underwood, or Pat Lee, cause none of these other guys really show any long term promise to be a #1 or #2 CB. Williams is a fine #3 CB but he is too unreliable to put out there every defensive snap of the game. Either that or He is going to draft a CB #1 or #2 next year which is fine, as long as Harris is back for 1 more year we should be ok. However the case can be made that SS is a way bigger need than a CB project. Bigby was great for that one season, but I havent seen him lay anyone out for 2 years, or catch up to anyone from behind, ever.... Look how harris and woodson helped Nick Collins, A lot of people didnt like the nick collins pick. I like burnett more than eric berry or earl thomas for a SS.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far and say Burnett over Thomas or Berry but I see where you're coming from in that I also believe Burnett had as much upside. I think Burnett may have been the best pick considering where we took him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yesss thats much better.. now i feel much better about this pick.. makes perfect sense now

show me where i thought raji was a bad pick.. i didnt know if i wanted him before the pick but once it was made i liked it.. i wasnt even on this forum when finley was drafted.. burnett read above.. matthews is the only one and i completely admit im wrong and i now love him..chico im just voicing my opinion like everyone else can.. because i do it differently dont judge me

your right you do do it differently. You throw out profanity and crazy talk before thinking, please just calm down first before typing something. Just checking to see what the size of the player or what position he plays would do alot of good.

as requested you bashing raji

what are you guy's thoughts... i kinda wanted him and imediately thought of justin harrell... looks like we wasted another first rounder

as requested, you bashing Finley.

yes i understand it was his rookie season but it was the last game of the season and he had two passes thrown to him that game and dropped both of them... i could have made those catches rookie season or not.. if your in the nfl theres no excuse for droppin those easy passes even if your a rookie.. hes been playing football since he was a child probly so just because hes in the nfl he forgot how to catch a football... im not saying hes a bad te i just dont know how everyone here thinks hes going to be a great te.. where are you basing your judgement on because it cant be based on that game

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett should be a good pickup and hopefully he has the ability to play in both safety spots. I feel this one is a steal and he could've went higher so lets see how he pans out.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone notice what number Mr. Burnett will be sporting? #42 baby... another #42 in the making?

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone wanted a CB, I did too, but TT must have some faith in Brandon Underwood, or Pat Lee, cause none of these other guys really show any long term promise to be a #1 or #2 CB. Williams is a fine #3 CB but he is too unreliable to put out there every defensive snap of the game. Either that or He is going to draft a CB #1 or #2 next year which is fine, as long as Harris is back for 1 more year we should be ok.

I have a feeling TT will draft a CB in the 1st round next year. Actually, depending on how Brad Jones does this season, I can see us going CB and outside linebacker in the first two rounds. I guess it would depend on who was available as far as which one would go 1st. Of course we are so far out from that right now....its all just speculation.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling TT will draft a CB in the 1st round next year. Actually, depending on how Brad Jones does this season, I can see us going CB and outside linebacker in the first two rounds. I guess it would depend on who was available as far as which one would go 1st. Of course we are so far out from that right now....its all just speculation.

Next year's draft is loaded with 1st round caliber CBs: Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Ras-I-Dowling. My favorite would be Dowling considering he does EVERYTHING (Tackle the RB for a loss, get into the backfield n pressure the QB, INTs, etc. etc.)

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year's draft is loaded with 1st round caliber CBs: Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Ras-I-Dowling. My favorite would be Dowling considering he does EVERYTHING (Tackle the RB for a loss, get into the backfield n pressure the QB, INTs, etc. etc.)

My hope is Amukamara. But whomever it is...he must be there through 31 other picks :happy0005:

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the sound of that Lancer!

There is still a lot of time left for FA stuff and teams cutting players and other teams picking them up. I do think that CB will be definitley addressed then or in next years draft however.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers are deep, but there are also a number of places they could go with their first pick next year. TT has pretty much neglected the offensive skill positions the past two years and I would not be surprised to see him pick a RB or WR next year. You build a great team by picking for value - grabbing the best available player each time you pick. RB, WR, CB, OLB would all be good choices.

I think the CB and OLB starters are fine, but there is a depth problem at each position, I believe. They will definitely want to upgrade the backups, but I would not reach just to pick an OLB or a CB. Harris is probably done or has only one year left; Poppinga needs to be upgraded now, but they can probably live with him another, if needed.

Members online

Latest posts