2010 Draft - Round 3, Pick 7, Overall Pick 71: Morgan Burnett

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Morgan Burnett for their third pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Morgan Burnett (SS)
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 209 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 3/4 in.
Hand Size: 9 in.
College: Georgia Tech
Conference: ACC

Pick Analysis:
The Packers nab a ball hawk in Morgan Burnett. As an instinctive defender with outstanding range, Burnett has the ability to get over the top on deep throws. With Atari Bigby underperforming at safety, Burnett could be a surprising rookie starter in Week 1.

Overview:
Burnett has been extremely productive for the Yellow Jackets over the past two seasons. He is very active in both run support as well as defending the pass but also misses too many opportunities due to lack of effort, angles and proper tackling techniques. Burnett has good size and athleticism for the safety position which makes him effective in combination man and zone coverage’s. He is an instinctive player but takes too many chances which make him vulnerable to big plays at times. Burnett can bend to shed and ward off blockers but again is inconsistent in this area. His ball skills are good and show the ability to make plays in traffic. Burnett is a solid safety prospect that has some inconsistencies in his play that may concern some clubs in this year’s draft.

Strengths:
Burnett is a prospect with a really nice combination of size, strength and athleticism. Was a very productive player in the secondary for Georgia Tech. Does not have any durability questions. He plays with good intelligence. Exhibits the instincts to come up quickly against the run and jump routes in coverage. Has very good ball skills and is comfortable playing in deep coverage.

Weaknesses:
Burnett is plagued by inconsistencies with a few areas of his game. Needs to play with the same high level of aggressiveness more often. Takes inconsistent angles, can over-run plays and is susceptible to double-moves and giving up big plays in coverage. Is also inconsistent run support.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Traded Up...

So TT traded up to take Morgan Burnett. The guy shows flashes of insane skills and ability, but takes plays off at times. He is one of the top rated safeties however. I am not sure how to feel about this one. If he comes ready to play he could be damn good.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted traded up, must mean they had him really high. Its a need position, and I think there was some drop off in talent after him.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another pick im not too happpy about.. he is just a safety that we do not need..we are set at free safety what we needed was a SS.. again TT ****s up but at least he kinda got a position of need.. not nearly as bad as our second rounder..

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy can do both. He is a hard hitter and good on the blitz. I like the idea of having a SS who has good ball skills. It is an asset to a 3-4 defense that relies on flexibility and players that can fly around and have multiple responsibilities.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm happy again. Filled a need (from what I heard on the radio while I was gone, dude's a decent hitter who doesn't miss a lot of tackles, leading me to believe he can play Strong).

Today doesn't completely suck anymore!

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is some good tape of him on YouTube. Most of the sports sites and analysts say his ability and ceiling are as high as Berry/Thomas, but he is just less polished. I'm ok with that. I'm sure Woodson can school him up and get him tuned to play.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick. The knock on taking plays off in college does not scare me. I don't think that players like Woodson, Barnett, Harris, etc. will let him routinely 'take plays off'. The kid can ball, and that's what I like.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy was a steal!!! And yes he can play both SS and FS. He's even had reps at LB/Nickel CB so that helps too. I thought this was a great pick. I think that the Packers are pretty much done. The next few picks should mostly be luxury picks that we could use sparingly. WAY TO GO TT!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another pick im not too happpy about.. he is just a safety that we do not need..we are set at free safety what we needed was a SS.. again TT ****s up but at least he kinda got a position of need.. not nearly as bad as our second rounder..
He's a SS... Played SS his whole college...

And moreso, Capers exchanges safeties... We only had Collins and Bigby. Bigby is injury prone.

Do we really want to see Derrick Martin and Jarrett Bush out there? Didn't think so.

To me he was a 2nd rounder... The guy had a blazing 4.4 40 (fastest amongst SS), a freakish 11' broad jump, and had 14 picks in college... That's astonishing....

I wouldn't rule out him beating Bigby and being our starting SS...

GREAT pick IMHO.

But it would be better him at our 2nd, Neal at our 3rd, and if we kept our 4th... But then again, who would've guessed we'd get Bulaga without moving up?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a SS... Played SS his whole college...

And moreso, Capers exchanges safeties... We only had Collins and Bigby. Bigby is injury prone.

Do we really want to see Derrick Martin and Jarrett Bush out there? Didn't think so.

To me he was a 2nd rounder... The guy had a blazing 4.4 40 (fastest amongst SS), a freakish 11' broad jump, and had 14 picks in college... That's astonishing....

I wouldn't rule out him beating Bigby and being our starting SS...

GREAT pick IMHO.

But it would be better him at our 2nd, Neal at our 3rd, and if we kept our 4th... But then again, who would've guessed we'd get Bulaga without moving up?

Agreed, I think TT got suckered into taking Neal early b/c Baltimore's biggest nead at that point was a DE. I guess he got scared that they were gonna take Neal so he had to pull the trigger. Either way I don't think there would've been anyone good that we could've taken with that 4th pick. This draft is going smoothly. Not spectacular and jaw-dropping but enough to help us reach the promised land.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once you see how he fits into GB's Defensive schemes I think that everyone will love this pick. I know that T, DE, & SS aren't **** picks which is why a lot of people don't know how to feel about most of the picks. However , I ask you would you feel better about quantity or quality and I really think that GB got quality. They hit all need positions! If they can some how swing a trade and pickup an OLB like Ricky Sapp then I would be estatic! Go Pack - If they can't score then we'll always be in the game.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The line on the Morgan Burnett bandwagon starts behind me. :lol:

Hell yeah! Sad to say I've never heard of this guy before...Had to work during the Orange Bowl..Highlight reels of him look outstanding... Taylor M...who?! lol

Now... Holiday

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its a great pick. Ball skills and a heavy hitter. SWEET!

4 picks left, OLB and CB are the only 2 needs we have left.

favrebacker4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea Morgan was a great pick and I also wish we could have turned these two picks around and kept our 4th. I was hoping for Akwasi in the fourth

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loving the SS pick since Mays was gone (but now after his whole calling Pete Carroll thing out it kinda puts things into perspective), now noone has touched on this yet but it looks like he sports the dreads, which bodes well for him fitting into our DB lineup. NICE PICK, cant wait to see him at SS in the near future! OH and hes from College Park, GA haha helll yeahh collepark baby!

Reaction score
I like this pick. I didn't like our second round pick but I think this one was a great pick. Now we need to get a CB maybe Walter McFadden. Also snatch up Holiday or Gilyard.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^ Yea we did, and I think it was a good choice to jump up and grab Burnett. Notice chicago took major wright about 4 picks after us, so TT knew that this kid was going to be gone before he got to us in our original 3rd round pick. Sophmore year he was tied for number 1 in the nation with 7 INTs, and finished his 3 year career with 14 total picks, I like this guy already! Looks like I might need a new sig and avatar by the start of the season :D
http://packers.com/multimedia/videos/2010_non_game/video_20100423__a8809d633ecb__5e92b8b3b1b1/

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Auburn sources are telling me that McFadden is being targeted by Chicago... in the 6th round

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Auburn sources are telling me that McFadden is being targeted by Chicago... in the 6th round

Like I said, it would be wise for TT to trade down from pick 5 and accumulate another 5th or 6th and we can definitely take him there with one of those picks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts