1989 Packers schedule

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I apologize for talking about old stuff with the Packers, I just have such a great interest in football history. Anyway, I noticed the 1989 Packers schedule - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/1989-gb - includes two games between the Packers and Cowboys. Does anyone know why the Packers played the Cowboys twice in 1989? They weren't in the same division, so I can't understand why they played them twice. Anyone have an idea why this happened?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall it just being a quirk in the scheduling. Back then there wasn't a formula to follow as there is now.

D

Deleted member 6794

I apologize for talking about old stuff with the Packers, I just have such a great interest in football history. Anyway, I noticed the 1989 Packers schedule - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/1989-gb - includes two games between the Packers and Cowboys. Does anyone know why the Packers played the Cowboys twice in 1989? They weren't in the same division, so I can't understand why they played them twice. Anyone have an idea why this happened?

It was actually part of the NFL’s scheduling formula back then. With a 28-team league, two divisions in each conference had five teams, and one division in each had four. If a team finished in fifth place, it played the other fifth-place team in its own conference twice and the two fifth-place teams in the other conference once each.

OP
OP
Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was actually part of the NFL’s scheduling formula back then. With a 28-team league, two divisions in each conference had five teams, and one division in each had four. If a team finished in fifth place, it played the other fifth-place team in its own conference twice and the two fifth-place teams in the other conference once each.
Thanks thanks thanks! I should have known this. I actually remember reading this in the past, but it totally slipped my mind.

On a side note, I have a 2000 NFL Record & Fact Book where the book explains the scheduling procedures for the then-31-team NFL. Boy those are convoluted!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts