1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

1989 Packers schedule

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Crazy Packers Fan, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +117
    I apologize for talking about old stuff with the Packers, I just have such a great interest in football history. Anyway, I noticed the 1989 Packers schedule - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/1989-gb - includes two games between the Packers and Cowboys. Does anyone know why the Packers played the Cowboys twice in 1989? They weren't in the same division, so I can't understand why they played them twice. Anyone have an idea why this happened?

2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I recall it just being a quirk in the scheduling. Back then there wasn't a formula to follow as there is now.

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,625
    It was actually part of the NFL’s scheduling formula back then. With a 28-team league, two divisions in each conference had five teams, and one division in each had four. If a team finished in fifth place, it played the other fifth-place team in its own conference twice and the two fifth-place teams in the other conference once each.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +117
    Thanks thanks thanks! I should have known this. I actually remember reading this in the past, but it totally slipped my mind.

On a side note, I have a 2000 NFL Record & Fact Book where the book explains the scheduling procedures for the then-31-team NFL. Boy those are convoluted!

5. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    Name that qb...The Majik Man and Randy Wrong! Blair Keil anyone?