Why over-react?

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going on with you guys? Calling TT dumb, this pick sucks that pick sucks blah blah blah. Until YOU sit down and interview, grade and watch the player, how can you judge? You can read all you want... you can never get the full picture until the player has had a CHANCE to perform. I think its BS that some people here are coming down on TT and this draft. Maybe I am to assume that members here know everything about players available and the BPA at the time of our pick? Everyone needs to relax and let these rookies get the camp and perform... this is also why we have preseason. :nono:

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going on with you guys? Calling TT dumb, this pick sucks that pick sucks blah blah blah. Until YOU sit down and interview, grade and watch the player, how can you judge? You can read all you want... you can never get the full picture until the player has had a CHANCE to perform. I think its BS that some people here are coming down on TT and this draft. Maybe I am to assume that members here know everything about players available and the BPA at the time of our pick? Everyone needs to relax and let these rookies get the camp and perform... this is also why we have preseason. :nono:
dude i get it.. maybe im overreacting.. i hope they turn out to be fantastic players and get inducted into the hall of fame.. but who the **** is going to play CB if harris looks to old on the field or just cant cut it... then what if woodson goes down with a similiar injury due to age.. these picks can turn out great but it doesnt fix our secondary problems.. think about it

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@A12ROD903-

Well said. Truth is we won't know for 2 or 3 seasons how good of a draft this is. It could be a phenomenal draft or a total bomb. We just won't know.

@Spanish Rose- There you go panicking again. We have 6 CB's on our roster. It was freakish that half (Harris, Blackmon and Lee) of them were injured for a good part of last season. That said, they are coming back this season. We have plenty of depth at the position, which is probably why Thompson didn't feel like drafting a guy.

BTW, the RB we took in the 6th started his college career as a corner back. Just figured I'd let ya know.

Oh, and the season hasn't started yet. Still lots of time to sign unrestricted talent to the roster.

How about we let the games start before freaking out a bit, hrmm?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand either position.

Yeah, this gloom and doom, TT is dumb, this pick sucks, we're doomed thing is overreaction. Let's wait until this guys at least take the field before we judge. The actual time to judge a draft is 3 years, but we can see if the guy has some potential when he takes the field.

HOWEVER, I find it absurd to hear that "I'm not in the NFL, so I can't say". Cmon, I'd say 60% of the picks made in the draft end up being plain stupid.

Just because I'm not a GM or a scout doesn't mean I'm not entittled to my opinion, and can't say I thought a pick was bad. GMs reach for guys a lot of times...

Of course, they have the better info, that's why I wait till the player actually plays on the field, for us. But considering need and talent, I though some picks we made were bad ones.

It's more than a legit concern that we didn't take any OLB and CBs, and took a TE... With Havner and Finley on the team, plus all WRs we have...

IF by some reason we continue to cover like **** against elite QBs, no doubt this decision will have influenced it...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE was more a good bye to Donald Lee and a "You idiot" to Spencer Havner. Lee's drops have been costly and too numerous to justify the contract, and who knows what's gonna happen with Havner with the DUI arrest.

We signed two OLB's as undrafted free agents: Frank Zombo from Central Michigan and Tim Knicky from Stephen F. Austin.

Keep up with the UFA's here: Packers Blog - JSOnline. Just hit refresh every once in a while.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
2006 Draft

People throwing fits over Gregg Jennings..Said they should have done what ever possible to trade up to get Chad Jackson...Heard it for weeks and months...

I started to think maybe Ted really has no clue...

Tell me, where is Chad Jackson now??

Not to say Ted doesnt screw up, because he does..but that told me the majority of people that whine and complain and ***** about how Ted didnt get a certain player, I just think of where is Chad Jackson now

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOWEVER, I find it absurd to hear that "I'm not in the NFL, so I can't say". Cmon, I'd say 60% of the picks made in the draft end up being plain stupid.

Just because I'm not a GM or a scout doesn't mean I'm not entittled to my opinion, and can't say I thought a pick was bad. GMs reach for guys a lot of times...

This is correct. Im not saying that people are not entitled to their opinion or have to be GM's or associated with the NFL to have opinions about the draft. And this thread wasn't necessarily meant for you RS, but there are a few board members that seem like they are ready to write the entire 2010 season off because they dont agree with TT's picks.

As far as 60% of draft picks being duds, Id say this is correct. But is the pick bad or does the player just fizzle out because they cannot play on the NFL level? Or maybe the player became strictly special teams and we will never hear his name again.

And the truth is is that if you go back to any threads about priority positions, I stated CB numerous times... that wasnt the case in the draft. BUT, I am not going to write these rookies and the season and TT off. There is so much info and work that we dont see as fans. Also these rookies work very hard to get to where they are.

Plus, people are reacting this way before the Packers even selected undrafted FA's....

Does this make sense?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add to what A12ROD903, my comments on a previous thread weren't aimed at you specifically. Of course we're all entitled to our opinion, it's our right as fans. No, my comments were aimed at the idiots who will bash and over react to every single pick Ted Thompson makes simply because it was Ted Thompson who made it. Sure, some picks have me scratching my head (Not sure why we needed a Tight End, but ok), but to label the team and season a complete failure because we don't understand why a particular pick is made and the spot it's made in is a bit much to me.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know what lets just let the players get on the field and play some before we go all nuts , you never know how its gonna work out. we gotta give people a chance

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Iteresting stat from JSOline.com

"Let me just say one thing to you - Green Bay drafts extremely well," Brandt said. "In the past three drafts, Green Bay is the only team that has every one of their draft choices still in the National Football League. Zero (out). One team has seven out.

"Ted Thompson catches a lot of flak. But as I said he has had 28 picks, seven starters, that 25% above the average. And zero that are out of the league."

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2006 Draft

People throwing fits over Gregg Jennings..Said they should have done what ever possible to trade up to get Chad Jackson...Heard it for weeks and months...

I started to think maybe Ted really has no clue...

Tell me, where is Chad Jackson now??

Not to say Ted doesnt screw up, because he does..but that told me the majority of people that whine and complain and ***** about how Ted didnt get a certain player, I just think of where is Chad Jackson now
where is chad jackson now?:fan_1:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff here that I missed earlier.
I just want this here on record for years to come.... we can look back at Scouts Inc's grades/ratings for all the 1st round picks.

Just for the record, I would have taken Jerry Hughes but would have tried to trade down with Dallas or Baltimore, both who wanted Dez Bryant. Now Hughes is being forced to play 4-3 DE so we'll never know how he'd have done as an OLB opposite Matthews.

Player Pos. Team Grade
1 Sam Bradford QB Rams 97
2 Ndamukong Suh DT Lions 97
3 Gerald McCoy DT Buccaneers 98
4 Trent Williams OT Redskins 95
5 Eric Berry S Chiefs 97
6 Russell Okung OT Seahawks 96
7 Joe Haden DB Browns 93
8 Rolando McClain ILB Raiders 94
9 C.J. Spiller RB Bills 95
10 Tyson Alualu DT Jaguars 89
11 Anthony Davis OT 49ers 93
12 Ryan Mathews RB Chargers 91
13 Brandon Graham OLB Eagles 94
14 Earl Thomas S Seahawks 95
15 Jason Pierre-Paul DE Giants 94
16 Derrick Morgan DE Titans 95
17 Mike Iupati OG 49ers 93
18 Maurkice Pouncey C Steelers 93
19 Sean Weatherspoon OLB Falcons 89
20 Kareem Jackson DB Texans 93
21 Jermaine Gresham TE Bengals 92
22 Demaryius Thomas WR Broncos 92
23 Bryan Bulaga OT Packers 92
24 Dez Bryant WR Cowboys 94
25 Tim Tebow QB Broncos 78
26 Dan Williams DT Cardinals 93
27 Devin McCourty DB Patriots 90
28 Jared Odrick DT Dolphins 91
29 Kyle Wilson DB Jets 92
30 Jahvid Best RB Lions 88
31 Jerry Hughes OLB Colts 93
32 Patrick Robinson DB Saints 85

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@A12ROD903-

Well said. Truth is we won't know for 2 or 3 seasons how good of a draft this is. It could be a phenomenal draft or a total bomb. We just won't know.

@Spanish Rose- There you go panicking again. We have 6 CB's on our roster. It was freakish that half (Harris, Blackmon and Lee) of them were injured for a good part of last season. That said, they are coming back this season. We have plenty of depth at the position, which is probably why Thompson didn't feel like drafting a guy.

BTW, the RB we took in the 6th started his college career as a corner back. Just figured I'd let ya know.

Oh, and the season hasn't started yet. Still lots of time to sign unrestricted talent to the roster.

How about we let the games start before freaking out a bit, hrmm?

Lee has been hurt since we picked him, Harris and Blackmon both had very serious injuries and more than likely (just trying to be as real as possible) won't be the same as they were prior to their injury. Blackmon is younger and maybe has a better chance, but I feel Harris will never be the same.. Jarrett Bush also doesnt add any depth and shouldnt be on the roster. Sheilds was a good pickup, but will need a ton of work to learn to play corner in the NFL if he ever does. He only played CB for one season in college and we drafted him for special teams

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee has been hurt since we picked him, Harris and Blackmon both had very serious injuries and more than likely (just trying to be as real as possible) won't be the same as they were prior to their injury. Blackmon is younger and maybe has a better chance, but I feel Harris will never be the same.. Jarrett Bush also doesnt add any depth and shouldnt be on the roster. Sheilds was a good pickup, but will need a ton of work to learn to play corner in the NFL if he ever does. He only played CB for one season in college and we drafted him for special teams
That's exactly right Mack.
It's not just about "numbers".
It's about competence, quality. And it's about durability/availability.

Harris was getting old obviously before the terrible injury. It wasn't just a simple ACL tear, which is bad enough.

I agree that it would appear that overrating the current crop of CB's is going to hurt us as their overrating the OTs last year to start the season did. I'm shocked we didn't draft a single CB in a pretty deep draft class. But I will hope that TT is right and I am wrong on this one, but quite honestly, he's never drafted us a CB who has turned into anything. Seriously.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a HUGE Huges bandwagoner, but a potentially franchise LT falling to us was just too good to pass up.

I'll be eyeing Brown and Huges from this draft. I thought both were solid prospects...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how people try to say that we should've traded down with the Cowboys or Ravens andd still pick up Bulaga somehow. Well here is my question, how would you have been so sure that Bulaga would still have been available? Yes they traded up for Dez Bryant but LT was the Cowboys' biggest neef and they for sure could've taken Bulaga and the Ravens wanted to get rid of Gaither so they would've been in the hunt for a tackle as well.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how people try to say that we should've traded down with the Cowboys or Ravens andd still pick up Bulaga somehow. Well here is my question, how would you have been so sure that Bulaga would still have been available? Yes they traded up for Dez Bryant but LT was the Cowboys' biggest neef and they for sure could've taken Bulaga and the Ravens wanted to get rid of Gaither so they would've been in the hunt for a tackle as well.

Ravens want to get rid of Gaither because they have Michael Oher and don't want to pay 2 starting caliber left tackles the kind of money left tackles make in the NFL. But yes I agree that the Cowboys would have taken him to fill a very needed spot on their line.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ravens want to get rid of Gaither because they have Michael Oher and don't want to pay 2 starting caliber left tackles the kind of money left tackles make in the NFL. But yes I agree that the Cowboys would have taken him to fill a very needed spot on their line.

My point exactly. How much would Bulaga make as compared to the type of contract that Gaither is demanding?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problems with Ted's drafts...are Ted. Justin Harrell, Colledge, Brohm, Raji so far...etc. I almost had a heart-attack celebrating when he drafted Bulaga this year. So based on those pics and the other things he's done as GM involving personnel moves *Wahle, Rivera etc* any reaction to what he does I don't consider an over-reaction. Sorry if anyone disagrees.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest NyPacker. We should've drafted Oher last year, if we had we wouldn't have almost set a record for QB sacks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest NyPacker. We should've drafted Oher last year, if we had we wouldn't have almost set a record for QB sacks.

While were at it we should have drafted Randy Moss, Barry Sanders, and every other Pro Bowl player we missed on.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We could've done the same thing by just keeping Jamon Meredith on the roster or letting TJ Lang take over RT duties from the beginning. Oher wasn't exactly "perfect" last year either. He struggled in his first few games but managed to become a solid player towards the end.

While were at it we should have drafted Randy Moss, Barry Sanders, and every other Pro Bowl player we missed on.

I agree, you won't really know how well a player will get until they get a chance in the NFL. Those players all had equal chances of being busts but there was really know way of truly knowing.

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problems with Ted's drafts...are Ted. Justin Harrell, Colledge, Brohm, Raji so far...etc. I almost had a heart-attack celebrating when he drafted Bulaga this year. So based on those pics and the other things he's done as GM involving personnel moves *Wahle, Rivera etc* any reaction to what he does I don't consider an over-reaction. Sorry if anyone disagrees.

Raji was a bust?

So Ted drafts poorly because there were some busts? So the 31 other NFL teams drafts have produced starters and impact players and not one of those teams drafted a bust? Give me a break... I dont understand how you can post such a ignorant post man....

see my sig!

Latest posts