What do we need going forward?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked at some of Dawson's clips. Perhaps I caught him on a bad day, but I don't think so. When playing downhill in run defense from the ILB position, I saw him being handled, even by TEs. Put less technically, he tends to get bounced back out of the trash.

I don't see him as either an ILB (except as a cover guy on passing downs) or an edge rusher. More like a 4-3 OLB or a utility guy.

What clip was it? He has no real highlight clips on youtube. Just a bunch of single game clips...

He had 24 tackles in a single game against Baylor this past season...and that is HARD to do against Baylor since they pass so much....

Know what makes him more impressive? He was a Wide Receiver in High School. The dude will be the fastest LB in the draft. He single handily disrupted Ole Miss in that Bowl game this year.

Hes gonna put up impressive numbers at the combine and be perhaps one of the fastest LB's ever. I think hes going to continue to gain momentum as we go forward and possibly become a 1st round prospect before its all said and done.

As the NFL becomes more about pass pass pass and spread you out, you need those linebackers like him who can cover. Dawson has always been one of those chase you down type of LBs and he can cover extremely well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

What clip was it? He has no real highlight clips on youtube. Just a bunch of single game clips...

He had 24 tackles in a single game against Baylor this past season...and that is HARD to do against Baylor since they pass so much....

Know what makes him more impressive? He was a Wide Receiver in High School. The dude will be the fastest LB in the draft. He single handily disrupted Ole Miss in that Bowl game this year.

Hes gonna put up impressive numbers at the combine and be perhaps one of the fastest LB's ever. I think hes going to continue to gain momentum as we go forward and possibly become a 1st round prospect before its all said and done.

As the NFL becomes more about pass pass pass and spread you out, you need those linebackers like him who can cover. Dawson has always been one of those chase you down type of LBs and he can cover extremely well.

Dawson projects as a 4-3 OLB in the NFL. With the Packers playing a 3-4 defense he's not a great fit for our defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm liking Shilique Calhoun. Although he works as OLB in a 3-4. He's got impressive results as a run stopper. Solid tackling skills. he has the size to convert inside and has a good sniffer.

Calhoun decided to return to Michigan State for the 2015 season.

H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I had looked at the clips from the 2014 West Virginia game linked above. Look at the run plays at 0:35, 1:19, 2:27 and 3:14. I stopped there; there could be more examples. When he meets blocks head up he gets thrown back. If you look at the plays he does make, he's chipped or unblocked. He's most impressive in space and when running laterally. He's a guy who can anticipate and angle to avoid blocks, but not a guy who can shed them. You also have to apply some imagination. If this is how he handles college blocks from guys who may never see the NFL, then how will he handle NFL linemen?

He's not suited to ILB. And I doubt he'd be a good edge rusher as a 3-4 OLB; he'd be on the small side in that role and he just doesn't project for hand-to-hand combat.

These are reasons he's projected for 4-3 OLB, though he could be a box safety/linebacker hybrid type that is gaining popularity in the NFL.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not wowed when I watched the clips of Dawson. I don't know what game I watched but my jaw was not dropping like it was seeing Perryman just dismantle fools while being extremely quick. I think Perryman is a homerun 1st round pick who should be able to start next to Barrington immediately.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don´t see it. With his coverage needing a lot of work he wouldn´t be a great fit with Barrington on the field.

Hes great in coverage and in space. That is his strength. He had 4 INT's this past season. Took one to the house.

Not to mention, he had 127 tackles on the year and 6 sacks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hes great in coverage and in space. That is his strength. He had 4 INT's this past season. Took one to the house.

Not to mention, he had 127 tackles on the year and 6 sacks.

Let´s take a look at what the author of the article you mentioned above had to say about Dawson´s coverage ability:

Dawson has some skills that enable him to be effective in coverage but this is not really a strong suit. The best situation for Dawson is when he can play facing the line of scrimmage and react quickly. When he can play downhill, facing the quarterback, he can do a nice job in man coverage. Dawson gets his hands on the opponent quickly and redirects with the speed to close.

Dawson has far more trouble when he has to flip his hips and stay with receivers down the field. He can be stiff but he is simply uncomfortable a lot of the time and gets beaten as a result. The effort is there but the results are mediocre. He still gets his hands on and redirects but then can get lost in coverage.

Dawson is able to help in zone coverage and does a nice job of tackling the pass. He is at his best in really short zone where he can read the quarterback’s eyes and try to jump up and knock the pass down, but the further he gets out, the less effective he becomes. With more experience and work, he should be able to get better and more instinctive in this part of the game.

In pass coverage, Dawson is a work in progress. He has a lot of traits that suggest he can be effective and just needs to continue improving. Nevertheless, he will make the occasional great play that can change a game. The more experience and time he has to improve, the more often these plays can happen. As a rookie, he may not be ready to step in and be trusted in obvious passing situations but he has the tools to get there.

If the Packers plan on starting Barrington at one ILB spot they shouldn´t be looking for a guy who´s a work in progress in pass coverage opposite Barrington. The team should draft a prospect capable of being the lone linebacker in the dime package, after reading the scouting report on Dawson he won´t be capable of being that guy.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let´s take a look at what the author of the article you mentioned above had to say about Dawson´s coverage ability:

If the Packers plan on starting Barrington at one ILB spot they shouldn´t be looking for a guy who´s a work in progress in pass coverage opposite Barrington. The team should draft a prospect capable of being the lone linebacker in the dime package, after reading the scouting report on Dawson he won´t be capable of being that guy.

I'd be curious as to what they say about Perryman's coverage skills.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That scouting report had him as a Day 3 prospect??? What the hell is peter king smoking there? Everyone else has him as a top 40 pick.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dream scenario would be Malcolm Brown, DT from Texas in the first and Perryman in the second. Brown has been very productive at Texas, though not a pass rushing machine he would seem to be an outstanding 3-4 NT and he's been very durable. Perryman would be a great upgrade at ILB and the two of them would probably do a great job of shoring up the inside of the Packers' defense.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, I watched Dawson play every game of his career. Hes great in coverage. TCU doesn't get enough publicity for people to really know their roster or players very well. TCU is a tiny Christian College in Fort Worth Texas.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dream scenario would be Malcolm Brown, DT from Texas in the first and Perryman in the second. Brown has been very productive at Texas, though not a pass rushing machine he would seem to be an outstanding 3-4 NT and he's been very durable. Perryman would be a great upgrade at ILB and the two of them would probably do a great job of shoring up the inside of the Packers' defense.

As of now most mock drafts have Brown off the board at #30. He'd be a great pick. However I doubt that Perryman is around at #62. He might be depending on how much he impresses at the Combine. So far most rate ILBS in this order: McKinney-Kendricks-Perryman-Dawson- and then it gets muddy. Some put Ramik Wilson next, others Stephone Anthony, or a bevy of other ILBs...Jake Ryan, etc. etc.. Dawson is moving up the charts and if he does then I think Perryman could be there when the Packers pick in the 2nd.

THere's such a disparity in the evaluation by different draft sites it's almost impossible to go by them. Some have Kendricks a late 1st round talent. Others have him barely a top 100 prospect.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of now most mock drafts have Brown off the board at #30. He'd be a great pick. However I doubt that Perryman is around at #62. He might be depending on how much he impresses at the Combine. So far most rate ILBS in this order: McKinney-Kendricks-Perryman-Dawson- and then it gets muddy. Some put Ramik Wilson next, others Stephone Anthony, or a bevy of other ILBs...Jake Ryan, etc. etc.. Dawson is moving up the charts and if he does then I think Perryman could be there when the Packers pick in the 2nd.

THere's such a disparity in the evaluation by different draft sites it's almost impossible to go by them. Some have Kendricks a late 1st round talent. Others have him barely a top 100 prospect.

We have to keep in mind also that there are just not enough ILBs to go around this year. Kinda sucks. Think there's going to be a good bit of reaching going on and some guys that should go late 2nd to early 3rd will be going late 1st to early 2nd. We're a team that generally doesn't reach on any player, so it will be interesting to see where these guys end up on the GB big board.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to keep in mind also that there are just not enough ILBs to go around this year. Kinda sucks. Think there's going to be a good bit of reaching going on and some guys that should go late 2nd to early 3rd will be going late 1st to early 2nd. We're a team that generally doesn't reach on any player, so it will be interesting to see where these guys end up on the GB big board.

There's a dearth of 1st rounders, but there's actually quite a few promising 2nd-3rd rounders who could turn out to be solid ILBs.

McKinney is the top rated ILB on most of the reliable lists I've seen, and if he's there at #30 the Packers have to take him.

After that there's quite a few interesting prospects:

Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman
Paul Dawson
Stephone Anthony
Ramik Wilson

Perryman didn't have a great Senior Bowl but he seems a good fit for the Packers. I'm also liking Stephone Anthony more and more. If he's there in the 3rd round I hope the Packers scoop him up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a dearth of 1st rounders, but there's actually quite a few promising 2nd-3rd rounders who could turn out to be solid ILBs.

McKinney is the top rated ILB on most of the reliable lists I've seen, and if he's there at #30 the Packers have to take him.

Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman
Paul Dawson
Stephone Anthony
Ramik Wilson

Perryman didn't have a great Senior Bowl but he seems a good fit for the Packers. I'm also liking Stephone Anthony more and more. If he's there in the 3rd round I hope the Packers scoop him up.

I would actually prefer the Packers take a top-rated NT like Brown, Davis or Goldman if one of them is available, even if McKinney is available. A really good NT can make mediocre ILBs look terrific and the Packers haven't really ever had a really good NT since Capers has been here.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman
Paul Dawson
Stephone Anthony
Ramik Wilson

Well, I know scouting reports and prospect rankings are fallible, but if you look at CBS sports or DraftTek or WalterFootball or anything, McKinney is the only ILB considered to be worth a 1st round selection, and only a late 1st at that. We'll see how things shake out post-combine, but at present, none of these guys are thought to be that sure-fire 1st round ILB talent. Ted's not a guy to reach on players either, but a lot of other teams are. So with a seeming lack of impact players at the position, the few "maybes" out there are going to get snatched up quick.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would actually prefer the Packers take a top-rated NT like Brown, Davis or Goldman if one of them is available, even if McKinney is available. A really good NT can make mediocre ILBs look terrific and the Packers haven't really ever had a really good NT since Capers has been here.

There are some red flags being raised about Carl Davis' attitude. Brown or Goldman would be great first-round picks if they are there. But if McKinney is there? That's a tough choice.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought HaHa would be around at pick 21 last year given mock drafts I had seen so
Anything is possible. I'm also hoping we can land Malcolm Brown or Goldman in Rd 1
Then trade up in Rd 2 for Perryman/Kendricks.

Maxx Williams is also an intriguing prospect.

D

Deleted member 6794

While it would be nice to upgrade the NT and TE position the Packers focus has to be at ILB. I would be fine with bringing Guion and/or Raji back and I'm optimistic that Richard Rodgers develops into a reliable pass catcher the Packers totally lack talent at middle linebacker.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman
Paul Dawson
Stephone Anthony
Ramik Wilson

Im a HUGE Paul Dawson fan. I'd be happy as hell if we draft him.

I'd be happy with him or Perryman.

And honestly, this maybe the draft we don't go BPA in round 1 and draft whatever best ILB is left with our first rounder. I wont be mad at Thompson for doing that.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it would be nice to upgrade the NT and TE position the Packers focus has to be at ILB. I would be fine with bringing Guion and/or Raji back and I'm optimistic that Richard Rodgers develops into a reliable pass catcher the Packers totally lack talent at middle linebacker.

I agree 100%. ILB is our absolute worst position right now.

I wont be mad at Thompson if he doesn't go BPA in round 1 and instead, drafts whatever best ILB is left (whether its McKinney, Perryman, or whoever)

We are damn near in dire need of a stud ILB.

Even if we address ILB in FA, I STILL want to see us come out of this draft with an ILB in the early rounds.

We are a good ILB away from having a really good defense folks.

Members online

Latest posts