Week 2 Studs and Duds vs Jets

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:
The entire team the 1st quarter. Nothing went right.
Questionable 1st half playcalling.

Studs:
NELSON....NELSON....NELSON....
Adams. I thought the rookie may have moved into the #3 receiver spot.
Rodgers late 2nd quarter and 2nd half. No interceptions despite us throwing it all over the field.
Mason Crosby
And last but not least, whoever called timeout on the Jets sideline.

Honorable mention:
I'm hesitant, but the 2nd half defense. Held them to 3 points. Let's hope this momentum carries on into Detroit.
Mike Daniels and Tramon Williams. Daniels (I believe it was Daniels, correct me if I'm wrong) causing a bad pass and Tramon with the INT which did not let the Jets get a FG or possibly putting the game out of reach with a TD after an onside kick and resulted in us getting a TD before the half. And Tramon later had a great pass breakup.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Sherrod showed some nice improvement as the game wore on. He started off a little shaky but played well in the second half.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs,Jordy of course was a stud,but as mentioned earlier I think Adams played well and I think he could be a major contributor later in the year. Peppers had a nice pass deflection on the RB late in the game downfield inside the 15 which I think was huge.,and of course Crosby for that 55 yard FG.Duds,those 5-6 yard cushions we give their receivers over the middle every play and then they outrun our ILB's for YAC and the lack of coverage out in the flat. Teams always seem to expose us there at will.

H

HardRightEdge

Among the less obvious performances, I thought Neal had a nice game. I still think he's about a 1/2 step slow for an edge rusher in his downsized form, but he got in a couple of hits on Smith and was a contributor to some decent 4 and 5 man pass rushes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Sherrod showed some nice improvement as the game wore on. He started off a little shaky but played well in the second half.

No one could block Coples yesterday, Bakh got burned by him as well. I think Sherrod was pressing to start the game and then settled down once they started rolling help to him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

LeTroy Guion
Mike Daniels
Tramontana
Clay Matthews
Morgan Burnett-had a couple big plays and was good in coverage
Jordy Nelson all game long.
Mason Crosby

Duds:
Sam Shields-sick of watching him get burned while peeking and then on Decker's TD he was looking for the pick instead of focusing on closing on his man, he could have gotten to his man in time.
Aaron Rodgers' situational offense- sorry but his handling of the Offense once we got up by 7 was pretty poor. We were starting to run over them and their defense looked deflated then Aaron takes two completely unnecessary sacks backs up the O and gives them great field position.
Ha Ha's deep coverage, that 4th and 4 heave was ridiculous and worthy of Dr. Jennings. He needs to improve here.
Mike Neal's ability to seal the seal- they got 3 points after Mike Neal whiffed a sack on 3rd down, kind of been a theme with him.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Duds....

Datone Jones....Nick Perry.....1st round no shows.
Team for 1.5 qtrs in the 1st half
1st drive of the 4th qtr.............. when AR had all day to throw the ball twice and took 2 big sacks...really!
Challange on Dekkers catch........booth staff had 5 mins to look at it and still got it wrong.
MM for not giving Starks a shot when clearly Lacy was not getting it done.

Studs...

Nelson....could easily catch 100 passes this year
Burnett....quitely had a pretty good game
Adams.....had a good game and IMO moved a head of Boykin
2nd half D......controled the line a scrimmage for the most part and made the tackles downfield
Cobb.....in the red zone
AR running for a couple 1st downs to extend drives. Hes still missing the magic for big plays when out of the pocket, but they'll come in time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Duds,those 5-6 yard cushions we give their receivers over the middle every play and then they outrun our ILB's for YAC and the lack of coverage out in the flat. Teams always seem to expose us there at will.

I´m getting tired of quarterbacks exploting the middle of the Packers defense as well. Last season QBs had a 113.9 passer rating throwing over the middle compared to 73.2 throwing to the left and 93.1 to the right.

Reaction score
I´m getting tired of quarterbacks exploting the middle of the Packers defense as well. Last season QBs had a 113.9 passer rating throwing over the middle compared to 73.2 throwing to the left and 93.1 to the right.
That's what happens when our Pass Rush fails to reach the QB... Capers has no choice but to rush 5 or 6 guys which will lead to some easy completions in the middle of the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's what happens when our Pass Rush fails to reach the QB... Capers has no choice but to rush 5 or 6 guys which will lead to some easy completions in the middle of the field.

Actually Capers blitzed on 35.1% of Smith's dropbacks yesterday and held him to a 48.2 passer rating on those plays. Wilson did a way better job of dealing with the Packers blitz (37.5% of his dropbacks).

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good:
Nelson of course, but 100% MIKE DANIELS. He played great against the run and pass. CM3 is always hustling but doesn't seem to be around the QB as much as he used to be. Peppers and Neal are around much more, and if Neal ever learned how to finish he'd get 10+ sacks a year.

Bad:
Rodgers was inaccurate all day and was bailed out time and again by Nelson making stretching catches. Also, he's held the ball too long his whole career, and some of the hate that Sherrod is getting could go to him. That one in the 4th quarter though is literally the worst sack I've ever seen taken in any game ever. He has to smarten up. Has to.

Also, does it seem like Lacy isn't hitting holes the way he needs to? He just looked slow out there yesterday. He seems like a guy that's a monster if he can get to the second level and take on backers and safeties, but he can't make dlinemen miss and goes nowhere. Starks may have been a better choice yesterday.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good:
Nelson of course, but 100% MIKE DANIELS. He played great against the run and pass. CM3 is always hustling but doesn't seem to be around the QB as much as he used to be. Peppers and Neal are around much more, and if Neal ever learned how to finish he'd get 10+ sacks a year.

Bad:
Rodgers was inaccurate all day and was bailed out time and again by Nelson making stretching catches. Also, he's held the ball too long his whole career, and some of the hate that Sherrod is getting could go to him. That one in the 4th quarter though is literally the worst sack I've ever seen taken in any game ever. He has to smarten up. Has to.

Also, does it seem like Lacy isn't hitting holes the way he needs to? He just looked slow out there yesterday. He seems like a guy that's a monster if he can get to the second level and take on backers and safeties, but he can't make dlinemen miss and goes nowhere. Starks may have been a better choice yesterday.

I think the problem with Lacy has been the offensive line not opening up a lot of holes for him. He was only able to get 19 rushing yards before contact on 13 carries.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds....

Datone Jones....Nick Perry.....1st round no shows.
Team for 1.5 qtrs in the 1st half
1st drive of the 4th qtr.............. when AR had all day to throw the ball twice and took 2 big sacks...really!
Challange on Dekkers catch........booth staff had 5 mins to look at it and still got it wrong.
MM for not giving Starks a shot when clearly Lacy was not getting it done.

Studs...

Nelson....could easily catch 100 passes this year
Burnett....quitely had a pretty good game
Adams.....had a good game and IMO moved a head of Boykin
2nd half D......controled the line a scrimmage for the most part and made the tackles downfield
Cobb.....in the red zone
AR running for a couple 1st downs to extend drives. Hes still missing the magic for big plays when out of the pocket, but they'll come in time.

I have to disagree with your assessment on Datone. His main job is to hold the point of attack and not get pushed back. I think the did that well yesterday. I can't say I put a lot of effort into analyzing guys during the game though so I could be wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have to disagree with your assessment on Datone. His main job is to hold the point of attack and not get pushed back. I think the did that well yesterday. I can't say I put a lot of effort into analyzing guys during the game though so I could be wrong.

Datone was only in for eight runs plays and didn't do anything special.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't remember Datone Jones getting pushed around yesterday and I do remember him being around the ball. People are a bit spoiled by seeing what J.J. Watt and to a much lesser degree Daniels does. 3-4 DEs are supposed to help the linebackers make tackles against the run as their first job and rush the passer second, which I think he did a decent job of.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hawk was a dud again. We are so used to seeing him getting rolled backward on his tackles that it seems normal. ILBs are supposed to hit the RBs and push them back. But, not Hawk. He's good for another 3-4 yards gain AFTER he makes contact.

Why doesn't Hawk ever get injured? It's because he stuffs pillows up his backsides. Always lands softly!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't remember Datone Jones getting pushed around yesterday and I do remember him being around the ball. People are a bit spoiled by seeing what J.J. Watt and to a much lesser degree Daniels does. 3-4 DEs are supposed to help the linebackers make tackles against the run as their first job and rush the passer second, which I think he did a decent job of.

Good post. Watt is special, especially for his position. Daniels seems to be developing good pass rush skills for the position also.

D

Deleted member 6794

A 3-4 DE doesn't have to do anything special to do a good job.

That is true when playing the run. I wouldn´t mind seeing more of a pass rush out of him when the defense moves to the nickel and dime packages and being able to constantly apply pressure with four guys would be so important.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Am I the only one getting tired of seeing our star QB holding onto the ball too long (again !), and shooting players that look when they miss a catch ?? Jordy Nelson made him look better than he was the other night.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one getting tired of seeing our star QB holding onto the ball too long (again !), and shooting players that look when they miss a catch ?? Jordy Nelson made him look better than he was the other night.
Yeah, he holds the ball too long sometimes. But his scrambles are the best running game we have, not to mention he is the best passer on the run in the NFL. So I'll take the occasional sack in return for the great plays he makes. You're right about him being off his usual pinpoint accuracy though.

Reaction score
Yes, He had a few of those. He balanced that deficiency out by running confidently for the first time in almost a year. I also saw him throw a few away to avoid sacks. In context, his team was losing 21-3 and he was trying to make up lost ground, before the game got away from him. He gets a pass (no punt intended) for doing exactly that. Like the saying goes "the end justifies the means"

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Maybe I`m expecting too much ? I felt Nelson diving almost backwards on a few occasions saved his reputation in my eyes the other night. Its that disgusted look that really ruffles my feathers :cautious:

Members online