Week 2: Aaron's march through Atlanta

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a WIDE margin between the abilities of Pankey and Bahk. I for one have acknowledged this point several times, the Packers are not going to be able to go out and find someone at the same level as Bahk to back him up. You keep bringing that up as a catch all of "you posters are crazy if you think we can have 4 Pro Bowl Tackles. When has someone suggested that? Looking for quality backups makes you assume that? I for one have never suggested that. So if your "expectation management" skills tell you that "well......that's it...we just may have to move forward with an UDFA we cut from the team 2 weeks ago, because nothing better is out there, then you might want to enroll in that class you speak about. ;) If AR and Hundley go down, you think the Packers should just hand the keys to the cadillac over to Callahan?

I already know what your next point will be......you will ask me "who do they sign?". First, I would leave that up to professional scouts and the Packer staff that make those decisions. Second, if you think there is nobody better than Pankey out there, nobody I suggest will change your mind. If I thought the Packers were even looking, it would be a worthwhile discussion, but again, it appears that TT thinks the answers lie within his own roster of inexperienced development guys like Pankey. Just like the CB position last year, it also appears TT will be moving forward with that strategy.
I believe there are a lot of players probably better than Pankey right now. Now, you tell me how to get them. There is a way to build a team, unless you believe you can have starters or quality vets across the board. you seem to think GB has roster and cap exemptions to sign these people. Spriggs looked every bit as good as Murphy this preseason but people were too busy listening to gannon and all the chatter to watch. He got beat badly on a couple plays and played solidly for many more.

oh, i don't even care anymore. We're 1 and 0 and already all people want to do is ***** about Ted. ***** about Ted when he drafts an olineman for a back up, ***** about Ted because he didn't bring in more. People have to be ****ing high to actually believe in their hearts that at the #5 tackle spot, which is Pankey is, teams have solid vets signed to their team. I told myself i'm done with such ridiculous arguments, but sometimes i just don't take my own good advice. Or do you really believe that guys like Matt Kalil would have been good signings to be a back up? too young, how about an old guy. or maybe give 11 million a year to a 35 year old tackle to play back up? Or toss 3 million at a guy we're all familiar with Breno Giacomini? I saw him for a number of years and topped out, he's no better than the unproven backups we have now. These are about the levels of service you're going to get to choose from. Pick one.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe there are a lot of players probably better than Pankey right now. Now, you tell me how to get them. There is a way to build a team, unless you believe you can have starters or quality vets across the board. you seem to think GB has roster and cap exemptions to sign these people. Spriggs looked every bit as good as Murphy this preseason but people were too busy listening to gannon and all the chatter to watch. He got beat badly on a couple plays and played solidly for many more.

oh, i don't even care anymore. We're 1 and 0 and already all people want to do is ***** about Ted. ***** about Ted when he drafts an olineman for a back up, ***** about Ted because he didn't bring in more. People have to be ******* high to actually believe in their hearts that at the #5 tackle spot, which is Pankey is, teams have solid vets signed to their team. I told myself i'm done with such ridiculous arguments, but sometimes i just don't take my own good advice. Or do you really believe that guys like Matt Kalil would have been good signings to be a back up? too young, how about an old guy. or maybe give 11 million a year to a 35 year old tackle to play back up? Or toss 3 million at a guy we're all familiar with Breno Giacomini? I saw him for a number of years and topped out, he's no better than the unproven backups we have now. These are about the levels of service you're going to get to choose from. Pick one.
If Spriggs was on the Seahawks, he would be starting. And this is the team many posters here are arguing we should be emulating.

The process is, not to get the best players as your backups, but players who have the greater potential and just need to develop. Why get a guy who is topped out at a 5.5 grade to sit on the bench, when you can have a rookie who is currently a 5.1 but has the athleticism/skills to become a 6.5 in a few years. But he will only get there if he is on your roster practicing each week with the team. Sometimes you can find very talented backups who are ready to play, but that is rare. Usually tradeoffs must be made with talent potential and readiness to play.

Spriggs has the measureables to be an excellent OT. Is he there yet? Hell no. He gets beat pretty bad on occasion, but I also saw him stone Von Miller. That is not an easy task, Miller was double and sometimes triple teamed in the first week.

Problem is, he got beat bad a few times and it gets way overblown by posters. As if he got beat every play, which he did not - and I actually saw some pretty decent, athletic moves during the preseason. Will he develop into a good OT? I don't know. But that is why these guys on the bench developing, to see what they can become. Maybe he will be the next Lang, Wahle, Tretter, . . . Guys who were marginal their first few years but developed into strong contributors.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Spriggs was on the Seahawks, he would be starting. And this is the team many posters here are arguing we should be emulating.

Maybe their defense....hell no about emulating their offense!

The process is, not to get the best players as your backups, but players who have the greater potential and just need to develop. Why get a guy who is topped out at a 5.5 grade to sit on the bench, when you can have a rookie who is currently a 5.1 but has the athleticism/skills to become a 6.5 in a few years. But he will only get there if he is on your roster practicing each week with the team. Sometimes you can find very talented backups who are ready to play, but that is rare. Usually tradeoffs must be made with talent potential and readiness to play.

Yes.....and I understand, this is the driving principle of TT's D & D model. The one pitfall with it, which we saw happen last year at both CB and RB, what happens when injuries kick in and you are down to players who aren't ready? The Packers would be a team that would fully benefit from a 15-20 man PS. But with only the ability to have 10 on the PS, they seem to try and stash the other 2-5 on the roster each year. Which works, if they don't see much playing time other than Special Teams or they are your inactive each week.

The frustrating aspect for me right now is ok, they rolled the dice, they started the season with a solid group of 5 starters on the OL, but I am pretty sure they knew beyond that they were pretty thin with inexperience "development guys" . Which is great....if nobody gets injured. So now, injuries are rearing their ugly head and just like the CB position last year, TT seems to be sitting pat and thinking his developmental guys can pull through. This is the moment you say "oh hell, maybe we need to find an experienced JAG or two until the storm passes".

I guess we will see how this plays out and I hope it works out for the best. But if AR goes down, due to guys being lost out there, that is the season. As crappy as the CB's played last year under this same philosophy of "next team member up", it only cost us TD's and AR was able to make up for it most of the time.

Last edited:

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
League politics: the Packers cant possibly beat the Falcons with the debut of their new stadium. Do you suppose the Packers got letter from the league not to beat the Falcons? Why don't they just forfeit already! Injury, injury, injury.
McCarthy is a weak, cowardly, sellout. Two months from now, we will hear, " wish we had Home field throughout playoffs! "
If the Packers play sloppy, uninspired football and lose to the Falcons. I will never buy NFL merchandise that's provides money for the team's salaries! Never go to a game and retire as a fan. They have had ALL off-season to prepare, 2 games into the season same crap

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They have had ALL off-season to prepare, 2 games into the season same crap

Haven't the Falcons had that same amount of time? Plus, you don't prepare for just ONE game....unless it's the Super Bowl. Does this game mean more to fans and maybe players? Sure.....but in the end, it is just one win or one loss. Nothing to jump off a cliff over......IMO.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
League politics: the Packers cant possibly beat the Falcons with the debut of their new stadium. Do you suppose the Packers got letter from the league not to beat the Falcons? Why don't they just forfeit already! Injury, injury, injury.
McCarthy is a weak, cowardly, sellout. Two months from now, we will hear, " wish we had Home field throughout playoffs! "
If the Packers play sloppy, uninspired football and lose to the Falcons. I will never buy NFL merchandise that's provides money for the team's salaries! Never go to a game and retire as a fan. They have had ALL off-season to prepare, 2 games into the season same crap
Wow, 1 win in the 1 game we have played this season, and against one of our biggest rivals. I have some Reynolds Wrap for sale if anyone needs it. :speechless:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reynolds Wrap? I hear the local 5 & dime has a sale on Pamprin right now. He may want to stock up for the long season.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the humiliation the Falcons suffered in the Super Bowl is still playing some head games with them for at least the first several games this season? If a big rock falls into a pond the ripples last a while and their loss was a big rock. What do you think?

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't the Falcons had that same amount of time? Plus, you don't prepare for just ONE game....unless it's the Super Bowl. Does this game mean more to fans and maybe players? Sure.....but in the end, it is just one win or one loss. Nothing to jump off a cliff over......IMO.
How about if the Packers lose, the coaching staff and trainers do laps, lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe there are a lot of players probably better than Pankey right now. Now, you tell me how to get them.

That's pretty easy, sign one of them to a contract.

Spriggs looked every bit as good as Murphy this preseason but people were too busy listening to gannon and all the chatter to watch. He got beat badly on a couple plays and played solidly for many more.

Problem is, he got beat bad a few times and it gets way overblown by posters. As if he got beat every play, which he did not - and I actually saw some pretty decent, athletic moves during the preseason. Will he develop into a good OT? I don't know. But that is why these guys on the bench developing, to see what they can become. Maybe he will be the next Lang, Wahle, Tretter, . . . Guys who were marginal their first few years but developed into strong contributors.

Unfortunately there's absolutely no room for an offensive lineman to get beat badly on a couple of plays and there's absolutely no way the Packers can currently trust Spriggs to protect Rodgers by any means. I'm fine with the Packers developing him and Murphy on the bench but the team might be in trouble by having to play them for an extended period of time this season because the roster lacks veteran backups on the roster.

oh, i don't even care anymore. We're 1 and 0 and already all people want to do is ***** about Ted. ***** about Ted when he drafts an olineman for a back up, ***** about Ted because he didn't bring in more. People have to be ******* high to actually believe in their hearts that at the #5 tackle spot, which is Pankey is, teams have solid vets signed to their team. I told myself i'm done with such ridiculous arguments, but sometimes i just don't take my own good advice. Or do you really believe that guys like Matt Kalil would have been good signings to be a back up? too young, how about an old guy. or maybe give 11 million a year to a 35 year old tackle to play back up? Or toss 3 million at a guy we're all familiar with Breno Giacomini? I saw him for a number of years and topped out, he's no better than the unproven backups we have now. These are about the levels of service you're going to get to choose from. Pick one.

Once again, there's no way to have a reasonable discussion with you once someone dares to criticize Thompson. As you've mentioned above there are a lot of better and more experienced players than Pankey out there currently available in free agency and the Packers could definitely sign one of them to a decent deal. I would absolutely feel more comfortable heading into tonight's game with a veteran backing up Bakhtiari than an undrafted rookie free agent who to my knowledge hasn't even lined up at left tackle at any point during the offseason.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang, just realized this was a late game and I recently moved to an Eastern Standard time area :( Packers have quite a few late games this year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's absolutely no room for an offensive lineman to get beat badly on a couple of plays and there's absolutely no way the Packers can currently trust Spriggs to protect Rodgers by any means. I'm fine with the Packers developing him and Murphy on the bench but the team might be in trouble by having to play them for an extended period of time this season because the roster lacks veteran backups on the roster.

Once again, there's no way to have a reasonable discussion with you once someone dares to criticize Thompson. . . .
Fortunately TT doesn't myopicly look at one season. His decisions are also based on several seasons ahead. If not, the Packers wouldn't have been as highly competitive for as long as they were.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fortunately TT doesn't myopicly look at one season. His decisions are also based on several seasons ahead. If not, the Packers wouldn't have been as highly competitive for as long as they were.

It's BS that Thompson signing a veteran tackle to a reasonable contract to back up Bakhtiari and/or Bulaga for at least part of the 2017 season would doom the future of the franchise by any means.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dang, just realized this was a late game and I recently moved to an Eastern Standard time area :( Packers have quite a few late games this year.

Well, think about living in Europe where those games start at 2:30 AM. :(

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's BS that Thompson signing a veteran tackle to a reasonable contract to back up Bakhtiari and/or Bulaga for at least part of the 2017 season would doom the future of the franchise by any means.
I didn't say doom the franchise. I said highly competitive.

It's BS that a team can remain highly competitive with inferior players.

I think what you dont get is the difference between good and great players is not much. We have had this conversation before regarding the draft where you support taking players who are inferior at positions of need. I'm telling you, your method of team building would result in a 8-8 perpetual team at best.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you eat a very late midnight snack with beer or a very early breakfast with lots of strong coffee?
I had a 5lb bag of fresh roasted beans broken down into smaller containers. Well this morning I realized that they were all gone and the 3 bags of ground stuff from the store were all bags of decaf my wife bought. talk about a kick in the balls

Sky King

Reaction score
I had a 5lb bag of fresh roasted beans broken down into smaller containers. Well this morning I realized that they were all gone and the 3 bags of ground stuff from the store were all bags of decaf my wife bought. talk about a kick in the balls
He seems to be more pragmatic than that to me. I'm thinking corn flakes with beer instead of milk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say doom the franchise. I said highly competitive.

The Packers signing a veteran backup tackle to a reasonable deal wouldn't prevent them from staying highly competitive for years to come either.

It's BS that a team can remain highly competitive with inferior players.

True, yet for some reason you want the Packers to rely on players that might develop into solid contributors at some point instead of adressing an obvious need with a veteran currently performing at a higher level.

I think what you dont get is the difference between good and great players is not much. We have had this conversation before regarding the draft where you support taking players who are inferior at positions of need. I'm telling you, your method of team building would result in a 8-8 perpetual team at best.

That doesn't bear any relevance to the topic we're currently discussing.

Do you eat a very late midnight snack with beer or a very early breakfast with lots of strong coffee?

I definitely prefer having a beer over coffee. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts