Amish Mock Draft 2024 #2

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers will be very active traders during this draft. We have the draft capital to do a lot of things.

Packers trade up from 1.25 and 3.91 for 1.19

1.19 Cooper DeJean S/CB The impact of DeJean could be huge. I recall someone saying the real special thing about Charles Woodson, is that you were always in base and a sub package. Woodson was able to play very effectively at deep safety, CB, and up in the box. He would adjust what he was playing based on what he was seeing. DeJean is no Woodson – mostly regarding Woodsons smarts and instincts. But Cooper is very multifunctional and athletic as well.

1.25 Traded for 1.19

2.41 Traded (Arizona 2.56 and 3.89)

2.56 Dominick Puni OG
– Not sure if he can be a OT in the NFL. He doesn’t have the arm length and his footwork needs work. He will be an absolute beast in the run game. His shuttle and 3 cone are outstanding – leading me to think he can be a very impactful player. Think he will start as a rookie at RG.

2.58 (with 4.127) Trade LAC 3.69 and 4.105

3.69 (From 2.41) Cedric Gray LB
– Gone are Wilson, Colson and Cooper. Gray is a great athlete who, I have this gut feeling, will be a better pro under Hafley than he was a college player. Gray seemed to not trust himself at times when he could have made some big plays. But what you can’t teach is the physical skills and the dynamic energy he plays with every play to the whistle. A lot to work with here and I think it will really take him a year before he is effective.

3.88 Jaylen Wright – We saw what Aaron Jones effectively running did to this offense. I don’t think Josh Jacobs dingleheimer Schmidt is going to be here 4 years. I think he could be gone after a year. He is young, but he has a lot of hard miles on him. I am sure Gute recognizes all these things and will want a young stud developing behind Jacobs and giving him a rest every few series.

3.91 Traded for 1.19

3.89 (From 2.41) Roger Rosengarten OT
– completely happy with Tom and Walker at OT. Rosengarten is an excellent athlete with a 9.61 RAS. He needs to get stronger, add weight, and be more consistent. He lasts this long in the draft for 2 reasons – there are a lot of OTs in this draft who are really good and because he is not ready to start and will take at least a year maybe 2 - but we don’t need him to. He could be an outstanding player when he is ready. He had impressive movement skills, balance, and is very tenacious.

4.105 Jarrian Jones CB – lots of tier 3 CBs that fit the Packer Profile athletically and have lots of upside. Most incredible thing about Jones? QB rating when targeted is 31.2. It think he will play as a rookie – maybe later in the season.

4.127 Traded

5.168 Hunter Nourzad OC
– the other holdover from first mock. Ascending player, high RAS, noted as being very coachable and dedicated. He is 23, so that is on the upper end of the spectrum.

6.204 Khristian Boyd - Developmental IDL guy. Has extremely impressive initial burst. Don’t want to cut anyone on our DL, so not sure how we carry him.

6.216 Dominique Hampton S – Very athletic guy who has a way to go with technique. Great Special Teamer in the mean time.

7.243 Trevin Wallace LB Tested very well and is aggressive. Needs to add some strength. Good special teamer.

7.251 Rasheen Ali RB – Speed guy who may develop into something if he works on his receiving.

We have 3 of my favorite players: Wright, Puni, and DeJean.

We have

QB Love, Clifford
RB Jacobs, Wright, Dillon
WR Watson, Wicks, Reed, Doubs, Melton, Heath, Dubois
TE Musgrave, Kraft, Simms
OT Tom, Walker, Rosengarten, Jones, Tanuta
OG Jenkins, Puni, Rhyan
OC Myers, Nourzad

DT Clark/Slayton/Wyatt/Wooden/ Boyd/ Brooks
DE Gary, LVN, PSmith, Enegbarre, Cox, Brooks
LB Walker, McDuffie, Gray, Wilson
CB Alexander, Valentine, Stokes, Ballentine, Jones
S McKinnley, DeJean, Johnson, Nixon

Expect Dubois or Heath to be cut and another LB to be added.

I believe I have added 3 starters (Puni, DeJean, and Gray). 2 role players (Wright and Jones), and 2 good developmental OL (Rosengarten, Nourzad) and a couple of practice squad players or Special Teamers.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think this scenario would be a good outcome while also being realistic.

I like Puni a lot. I wish he wasn’t so old. He’s already turned 24.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this scenario would be a good outcome while also being realistic.

I like Puni a lot. I wish he wasn’t so old. He’s already turned 24.
Thanks.

Didn't know Puni was that old, that is a negative for sure. Of all positions it's OL that is least an issue. Good OL are more likely to be effective into their early 30s. No stats to back that up, just seems like it. Getting a 2nd contract at a high level of play, which I think he can be a top RG, is justification for me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thanks.

Didn't know Puni was that old, that is a negative for sure. Of all positions it's OL that is least an issue. Good OL are more likely to be effective into their early 30s. No stats to back that up, just seems like it. Getting a 2nd contract at a high level of play, which I think he can be a top RG, is justification for me.

Yeah I don't worry so much about them not having enough good years left. There's no reason that a 24 year old couldn't have ~8 strong seasons in him or more, and that's plenty to justify a high pick. My bigger concern is that good tape of guys who are much older than competition can be deceiving and cause a guy to be overrated. Generally speaking, guys who are good when they're younger hit in the league at a higher rate than guys who break out when they're older.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Taking this for what it's worth, as picks buck consensus all the time, here are the players you picked and where they land on the current consensus board.

-Cooper DeJean: 22
-Dominick Puni: 86
-Cedric Gray: 93
-Jaylen Wright: 77
-Roger Rosengarten: 133
-Jarrian Jones: 96
-Hunter Nourzad: 174
-Khristian Boyd: 149
-Dominique Hampton: 193
-Trevin Wallace: 155
-Rasheen Ali: 184

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm, could switch Wright and Gray around as well as Jones and Rosengarten and i would be good through 5 rounds. Looks like I am over optimistic in the 6th and 7th round. But there were 2 dozen names I could have put in there, at least a few of them should be there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the speed of which Emanuel Wilson played at last year, full offseason of growth....signing of Dillon....I'm not as locked hard into us picking a running back before Day 3 late as I once was. Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE adding Wright - LOVE

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking this for what it's worth, as picks buck consensus all the time, here are the players you picked and where they land on the current consensus board.

-Cooper DeJean: 22
-Dominick Puni: 86
-Cedric Gray: 93
-Jaylen Wright: 77
-Roger Rosengarten: 133
-Jarrian Jones: 96
-Hunter Nourzad: 174
-Khristian Boyd: 149
-Dominique Hampton: 193
-Trevin Wallace: 155
-Rasheen Ali: 184

Trevin is one of the most mixed off ball types it seems across pundits. However I too believe you gotta use a 5th on him or more or miss him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trevin is one of the most mixed off ball types it seems across pundits. However I too believe you gotta use a 5th on him or more or miss him.

I would say predicting where guys will get drafted is probably the thing that I'm worst at in this whole draft world.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I don't worry so much about them not having enough good years left. There's no reason that a 24 year old couldn't have ~8 strong seasons in him or more, and that's plenty to justify a high pick. My bigger concern is that good tape of guys who are much older than competition can be deceiving and cause a guy to be overrated. Generally speaking, guys who are good when they're younger hit in the league at a higher rate than guys who break out when they're older.
Exactly the way I look at that, too.

When you see a 24-year old player, you're generally looking at a guy who's a lot closer to topping out his potential than a 22-year old. An NFL training camp and a season of NFL-level coaching is probably going to squeeze a bit more out of him (especially in his technique), but in terms of pure athletic ability, what you see is probably pretty close to what you're going to get.

So if you look at that player and determine that he would benefit from some coaching but does have the basic ability to play effectively at this level, you have a pretty good idea of what you can expect from him. If you like what you see, you take the guy and turn him over to the trainers and the position coaches to polish him up.

But to me, that's pretty much the only reason age matters. A drafted NFL player starts his career with a 4-year contract, so at age 24, his first contract takes him up to age 28. If he plays well enough, he then negotiates a second contract, at age 28. Still right smack in the middle of his prime.

So OK - sign him to a second contract. The second contract would take him into his early 30s, which is about what you hope for anyway with an offensive lineman. By the end of his second contract, chances are you're just about done with him anyway, but if he turns into a really good player, you can do a team friendly deal that gets another year or two out of him.

However, the odds are stacked against him still playing into his early 30s to begin with, no matter how old he is when you draft him. Playing NFL football for several years ages a body faster than just getting a few years older. Only 3 out of 5 players do well enough to sign a second contract at age 26-28, and of those, only about half of them (15%) resign with their original team.

6 out of 7 times, a player who is drafted at age 24 is out of the league at age 28 anyway. 5 years after a draft, an average of no more than 4 or 5 players on any given team's roster are still playing for the team that drafted them (although I think that ratio is higher for the Packers; just didn't break it down).

By the time they get to their early 30s, less than 8% of the starters are over age 30 - and most of the non-quarterbacks/kickers who remain will be way past their prime and leaving as free agents anyway because their original team has planned for their replacement and won't want to pay the price for another 2 years. So they move on to someone who's paying bigger bucks, and we get a comp pick the next year.

I don't care about 24 years old compared to 22-23 years old for most positions. And the differential between 24 and 22-23 is not necessarily so clear-cut anyway - Puni just turned 24 a month ago. So on draft day, he'll be 24, but someone born just 7 weeks later is still only 23. Is that really something consequential?

If the dude adds up as a prospective bona fide NFL starter at age 24, grab him and ride him for 6 or 7 years. The cold, hard reality is that by the time he's too old to play, he'll almost certainly be someone else's problem anyway - unless he's a star, in which case who cares? We hit the jackpot anyway, so we're way ahead of the game.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall like this draft. I'm a fan of Gray, Puni, Jones and Rosengarten. Hard to argue if we step away with those. My only complaint would be trading up in the 1st using a 3rd. There's so much good talent in 2-3 and then it tends to taper pretty quickly that I'd much prefer to trade back, with a sacrifice of DeJean and grab an additional person or two between 2-4.
Other than that minor disagreement really like where your head is at.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers will be very active traders during this draft. We have the draft capital to do a lot of things.

1.19 Cooper DeJean S/CB The impact of DeJean could be huge. I recall someone saying the real special thing about Charles Woodson, is that you were always in base and a sub package. Woodson was able to play very effectively at deep safety, CB, and up in the box. He would adjust what he was playing based on what he was seeing. DeJean is no Woodson – mostly regarding Woodsons smarts and instincts. But Cooper is very multifunctional and athletic as well.

1.25 Traded for 1.19

2.41 Traded (Arizona 2.56 and 3.89)

2.56 Dominick Puni OG
– Not sure if he can be a OT in the NFL. He doesn’t have the arm length and his footwork needs work. He will be an absolute beast in the run game. His shuttle and 3 cone are outstanding – leading me to think he can be a very impactful player. Think he will start as a rookie at RG.

2.58 (with 4.127) Trade LAC 3.69 and 4.105

3.69 (From 2.41) Cedric Gray LB
– Gone are Wilson, Colson and Cooper. Gray is a great athlete who, I have this gut feeling, will be a better pro under Hafley than he was a college player. Gray seemed to not trust himself at times when he could have made some big plays. But what you can’t teach is the physical skills and the dynamic energy he plays with every play to the whistle. A lot to work with here and I think it will really take him a year before he is effective.

3.88 Jaylen Wright – We saw what Aaron Jones effectively running did to this offense. I don’t think Josh Jacobs dingleheimer Schmidt is going to be here 4 years. I think he could be gone after a year. He is young, but he has a lot of hard miles on him. I am sure Gute recognizes all these things and will want a young stud developing behind Jacobs and giving him a rest every few series.

3.91 Traded for 1.19

3.89 (From 2.41) Roger Rosengarten OT
– completely happy with Tom and Walker at OT. Rosengarten is an excellent athlete with a 9.61 RAS. He needs to get stronger, add weight, and be more consistent. He lasts this long in the draft for 2 reasons – there are a lot of OTs in this draft who are really good and because he is not ready to start and will take at least a year maybe 2 - but we don’t need him to. He could be an outstanding player when he is ready. He had impressive movement skills, balance, and is very tenacious.

4.105 Jarrian Jones CB – lots of tier 3 CBs that fit the Packer Profile athletically and have lots of upside. Most incredible thing about Jones? QB rating when targeted is 31.2. It think he will play as a rookie – maybe later in the season.

4.127 Traded

5.168 Hunter Nourzad OC
– the other holdover from first mock. Ascending player, high RAS, noted as being very coachable and dedicated. He is 23, so that is on the upper end of the spectrum.

6.204 Khristian Boyd - Developmental IDL guy. Has extremely impressive initial burst. Don’t want to cut anyone on our DL, so not sure how we carry him.

6.216 Dominique Hampton S – Very athletic guy who has a way to go with technique. Great Special Teamer in the mean time.

7.243 Trevin Wallace LB Tested very well and is aggressive. Needs to add some strength. Good special teamer.

7.251 Rasheen Ali RB – Speed guy who may develop into something if he works on his receiving.

We have 3 of my favorite players: Wright, Puni, and DeJean.

We have

QB Love, Clifford
RB Jacobs, Wright, Dillon
WR Watson, Wicks, Reed, Doubs, Melton, Heath, Dubois
TE Musgrave, Kraft, Simms
OT Tom, Walker, Rosengarten, Jones, Tanuta
OG Jenkins, Puni, Rhyan
OC Myers, Nourzad

DT Clark/Slayton/Wyatt/Wooden/ Boyd/ Brooks
DE Gary, LVN, PSmith, Enegbarre, Cox, Brooks
LB Walker, McDuffie, Gray, Wilson
CB Alexander, Valentine, Stokes, Ballentine, Jones
S McKinnley, DeJean, Johnson, Nixon

Expect Dubois or Heath to be cut and another LB to be added.

I believe I have added 3 starters (Puni, DeJean, and Gray). 2 role players (Wright and Jones), and 2 good developmental OL (Rosengarten, Nourzad) and a couple of practice squad players or Special Teamers.
Getting Rosengarten and Nourzad along with Puni would be hella good. They are all moving up in the rankings as time goes on. Adding DeJean and Gray would not displease me at all either.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall like this draft. I'm a fan of Gray, Puni, Jones and Rosengarten. Hard to argue if we step away with those. My only complaint would be trading up in the 1st using a 3rd. There's so much good talent in 2-3 and then it tends to taper pretty quickly that I'd much prefer to trade back, with a sacrifice of DeJean and grab an additional person or two between 2-4.
Other than that minor disagreement really like where your head is at.
Yeah, I get it. I just think DeJean is so position flexible, that he will be difficult to offensive game plan around. His versatility along side the smarts and reliability of McKinny, will make both players that much more effective.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason I like DeJean is IMO GB needs 3 DBs out of this draft, FA or trade. If they take DeJean they can get a CB and a Safety later. If they take one of the corners they probably need to add 2 safetys. DeJean gives Gute more flexibility. IMO.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
One week out from the beginning of the draft contest. Get your picks in if you want a full year of bragging rights!

Reaction score
Given the speed of which Emanuel Wilson played at last year, full offseason of growth....signing of Dillon....I'm not as locked hard into us picking a running back before Day 3 late as I once was. Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE adding Wright - LOVE
I know. I think what makes us qualify for a Top 10 college RB is the fact that we often succumb to injury in that room. Last year it was Jones and Wilson. I’d love to have our version of a healthy James Starks coming in January. I think Tracy Jr is that guy.. he might not be our RB1 but I think he can be a darn good RB2. Like Wright he’s a dual threat. Actually triple? because If I recall he fielded an All Big Ten return status also. He’s just an all-around savvy athlete and while his college production is limited.. what he has is a very nice portfolio. Imo had Tracy logged more Snaps at RB he’d be flirting in that top 100 area in this draft.

Last edited: