The Packers - Committed to their own

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers knew Rodgers was going to stay healthy and play well thru his contract, then no they wouldn't have drafted Love. If they knew Love would just ride the pine for 4 years and return just a comp pick maybe one day? No he's not chosen. But then football has lots of unknowns from week to week and year to year. They saw a QB they thought was going to be really good. They took him. I don't think it gets more more complicated than that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned repeatedly I would prefer the Packers to push as much money into the first season Rodgers won't be around anymore as I don't expect the team to be a contender that year anyway.

It would allow them to improve the team's chances to win another Super Bowl while he's around though.

It's true the Packers have several options to create enough cap space to sign their draft class as well as account for #52 and #53 and the practice squad.

I just wanted to point out that they need to make a move to get it done.

I'm well aware that it's solely my opinion and not more valid than any other one. That's true for your take on the situation as well though.

The Packers restructuring Rodgers' contract to sign a free agent wouldn't gave made a significant difference regarding their cap situation down the road but signing a veteran with the cap space saved might have improved their chances of winning a Super Bowl in 2021.

You don't hear any talk about other players because none of them is as important to the Packers' success as Rodgers (you even mentioned that in your previous post wondering what happens in case of an injury to him).

Once again, I don't care about words. This offseason, the Packers haven't acted as if they're committed to Rodgers long-term.

There are different opinions on the topic out there as well:

https://eu.packersnews.com/story/sp...gers-could-force-his-way-out-town/4837930001/

The combination of the Packers selecting Love in the first round last year and the unwillingness to restructure Rodgers' contract or guarantee any money left on his current deal strongly indicates the Packers plan on moving on from him before Love's rookie deal is up.

As a side note, do you honestly believe Gutekunst selected Love because he thought he was to good to pass up to have him sit on the bench for four years before he leaves town for a compensatory pick???

I believe that maybe Gute chose Love because Rodgers had shown signs that he might be mortal and would not be around for anther four years for reasons other than the FO simply wanting to move on. As Poker said events of 2020 may have changed that. I believe that had Rodgers won the MVP in 2019 Gute would not have selected Love.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I never thought of it that way. I always thought it was the media’s job to report the facts. The way you stated it sounds like tabloid and paparazzi garbage to me.

It used to be that way. However, with the advent of the internet, cable TV, Fan Forums, etc. there are millions of "reporters". Many of them busy speculating and trying to break shocking news. Everything you can read online or see on TV is now somewhere in between fact and total fiction and we are all a part of it. Would we be here and participating if all this site did was report hard cold facts? I remember back in the 80's and 90's where you would hear "It is hard for celebrities to live in big cities, because there is so much media coverage and exposure, they can't hide". Well, now you can live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and if you fart while taking the dog for a walk, good chance that if you are famous, it will be known by 10 million people in a matter of hours.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I never thought of it that way. I always thought it was the media’s job to report the facts. The way you stated it sounds like tabloid and paparazzi garbage to me.
Well most news organizations are structured around reporting (just the facts ma'am) and then editorial. That's faded over the last 10 years and the line has blurred. Now a newspaper or channel is labeled as either left or right most of the time. In sports reporting, you have reporters who have good relationships with some players, bad with others, and arguably that's reflected in their reporting. So you have to take a close look at the motivations, including profit, of the news organization as well as the individual reporters.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It used to be that way. However, with the advent of the internet, cable TV, Fan Forums, etc. there are millions of "reporters". Many of them busy speculating and trying to break shocking news. Everything you can read online or see on TV is now somewhere in between fact and total fiction and we are all a part of it. Would we be here and participating if all this site did was report hard cold facts? I remember back in the 80's and 90's where you would hear "It is hard for celebrities to live in big cities, because there is so much media coverage and exposure, they can't hide". Well, now you can live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and if you fart while taking the dog for a walk, good chance that if you are famous, it will be known by 10 million people in a matter of hours.
It used to be much easier to differentiate objective news from opinion. As you point out, that's not the case anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It used to be much easier to differentiate objective news from opinion. As you point out, that's not the case anymore.

Yup and that happens with just about everything in life. Tune in one channel and they are soft peddling something as "good", tune into another and that same "something" is going to be the end of this world. Most media should drop the moniker of "News" and just follow their call letters/Business name with "opinions". I remember as a kid, watching the weather was kind of a joke. Sure they knew exactly what just happened, but as far as predicting what will happen, it seemed like a crap shoot. Obviously, technology has changed weather predictions quite a bit. Now when I tune in, I can almost set my watch to their predictions. Do I want human decisions to become that predictable? Not at all.

I think its fun to see how Packer fans predict things, fun to debate and go back and forth and then see what happens. When the fun stops is when people don't recognize that opinions aren't facts and they only want to treat theirs as such.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and that happens with just about everything in life. Tune in one channel and they are soft peddling something as "good", tune into another and that same "something" is going to be the end of this world. Most media should drop the moniker of "News" and just follow their call letters/Business name with "opinions". I remember as a kid, watching the weather was kind of a joke. Sure they knew exactly what just happened, but as far as predicting what will happen, it seemed like a crap shoot. Obviously, technology has changed weather predictions quite a bit. Now when I tune in, I can almost set my watch to their predictions. Do I want human decisions to become that predictable? Not at all.

I think its fun to see how Packer fans predict things, fun to debate and go back and forth and then see what happens. When the fun stops is when people don't recognize that opinions aren't facts and they only want to treat theirs as such.
Yeah to your last point, and this is just an opinion, it gets too testy at times on here. Some people (very few) seem to post only to discredit others. Well, you can't discredit an opinion. It's just an opinion, not a fact. All in all it's still fun, as it should be. And over time, I've learned who to ignore. But I agree, everyone has a slightly different take on the same situation. That makes it interesting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah to your last point, and this is just an opinion, it gets too testy at times on here. Some people (very few) seem to post only to discredit others. Well, you can't discredit an opinion. It's just an opinion, not a fact. All in all it's still fun, as it should be. And over time, I've learned who to ignore. But I agree, everyone has a slightly different take on the same situation. That makes it interesting.

Yup. Sure beats waiting for the morning paper to see if there is an article about the Packers. During the offseason, not much was reported, so it was a huge bonus to be able to read about Don Majkowski's vacation. Even during the season, there would be a full report on the game, some injury news and then maybe an opinion by that one author. A few days before a game, maybe an advanced scouting report of the upcoming opponent. Otherwise, it was chat with friends at school and wait for the next article or game to get your next Packer fix. Today, you could OD on Packer information in a short morning, by just Googling "Packer News".

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some very good points about the media. It is worse these days. And that's a drag. There should be more integrity, especially in news. Hopefully, like here, more people will start to understand they have to look for the facts. Can't just accept things anymore.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Forums such as this one: no one here is a reporter now that LTF lost his inside contact from the Thompson days. It’s ALL opinion, conjecture, discussion and speculation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Forums such as this one: no one here is a reporter now that LTF lost his inside contact from the Thompson days. It’s ALL opinion, conjecture, discussion and speculation.

Correct and the same could be said about a lot of the people on TV and the internet that some will refer to as their "Source". Sure some of the beat reporters hear the news directly from the original source, before we do. However, NFL management and coaches haven't changed much through the years, they are only going to say so much publicly, the rest is left to speculation and trying to read between the lines. I think this falls under wanting to try and maintain a competitive advantage. The players on the other hand, through social media and the power of their agents, seem to be much more vocal about various things than they were 20 years ago.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

A poster named "FrozenTakes" seemed to have some inside sources, especially on prospects (free agents/draft picks) visiting Green Bay. Not sure what happened to him though. I remember someone kind of question him as to sources and he seemed miffed and may have left? :(

Maybe he will be back in time for the Draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
flat out creating a controversy based on nothing but speculation and then the speculators further speculate on the speculation and away they go.
It's worse than that since their comrades in arms "competitors" use these speculations as a reliable source.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A poster named "FrozenTakes" seemed to have some inside sources, especially on prospects (free agents/draft picks) visiting Green Bay. Not sure what happened to him though. I remember someone kind of question him as to sources and he seemed miffed and may have left? :(

Maybe he will be back in time for the Draft.
I believe both He and the person questioning him have since left the forum.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe both He and the person questioning him have since left the forum.
Did he? I suppose this is the time of year he's around too, filling in on visits and such. I appreciated his info, even if it was stuff we'd find out a few days later usually.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, to part 1 of your 3 part question.

Parts 2 and 3 were and still are independent from part 1, as well as contingent on future events that happen after the draft decision was made.

If Love ends up sitting on the bench for four years and ends up signing with another team in free agency after that it was a foolishly wasted pick though.

If the Packers knew Rodgers was going to stay healthy and play well thru his contract, then no they wouldn't have drafted Love. If they knew Love would just ride the pine for 4 years and return just a comp pick maybe one day? No he's not chosen. But then football has lots of unknowns from week to week and year to year. They saw a QB they thought was going to be really good. They took him. I don't think it gets more more complicated than that.

It seems Gutekunst made a mistake evaluating Rodgers after the 2019 season, possibly resulting in wasting the team's first rounder last year.

I believe that maybe Gute chose Love because Rodgers had shown signs that he might be mortal and would not be around for anther four years for reasons other than the FO simply wanting to move on. As Poker said events of 2020 may have changed that. I believe that had Rodgers won the MVP in 2019 Gute would not have selected Love.

As mentioned above, if that's true Gutekunst made a colossal mistake evaluating the team's franchise quarterback.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Love ends up sitting on the bench for four years and ends up signing with another team in free agency after that it was a foolishly wasted pick though.

I think it goes without saying, that if Love never takes a snap as a Packer, he ends up being a bad pick and a bust. However, to attach "foolish and wasted" isn't really fair IMO. First, 3 years is a long time for things to change. Second, he was obviously viewed by the Packers as the heir apparent to Rodgers. Third, if he ends up being a decent QB, if nothing else he could be viewed as valuable insurance.

In all the years of following the Packers, I have declared certain draft picks busts. However, I normally don't say that until the players career in Green Bay is over or at least close to being over and that is far from the case for Love.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At least a building in Green Bay seems committed to Rodgers. ;)

For those living in Green Bay.... local artist Beau Thomas painted it on the back of a building in the alley of the 300 block of South Broadway.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe he did. Maybe he didn't

It seems Gutekunst made a mistake evaluating Rodgers after the 2019 season, possibly resulting in wasting the team's first rounder last year.

As mentioned above, if that's true Gutekunst made a colossal mistake evaluating the team's franchise quarterback.
Maybe, maybe not. This mistake to me will be if Love is no good. If he is, he'll be valuable to the Packers at some point and at the most important position on the field. It can't be considered a "colossal" mistake if that's the case.

Rodgers finished a season on a bum leg, Then missed the next with a cracked clavicle, then ran around on a bum knee and it affected his throws and accuracy, then played a fairly healthy season. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility that GB would need a QB at some point and they had a chance at who they thought was going to be really good.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's been covered, but since I went to the trouble of quoting it, I figured I'd follow through with "where have you been for the last few decades?"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe he did. Maybe he didn't

Maybe, maybe not. This mistake to me will be if Love is no good. If he is, he'll be valuable to the Packers at some point and at the most important position on the field. It can't be considered a "colossal" mistake if that's the case.

Rodgers finished a season on a bum leg, Then missed the next with a cracked clavicle, then ran around on a bum knee and it affected his throws and accuracy, then played a fairly healthy season. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility that GB would need a QB at some point and they had a chance at who they thought was going to be really good.

How many of those calling the Love pick a waste would be *****ing if Rodgers had played like crap last year and we had no one to fall back on. You just know some would be saying Gute had 3 years of a declining Rodgers so why didn't he have a plan in place. Some might even have said we could have drafted Love.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fire Gute. First he dropped the ball in evaluating that Fulgham guy and now Aaron Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How many of those calling the Love pick a waste would be *****ing if Rodgers had played like crap last year and we had no one to fall back on. You just know some would be saying Gute had 3 years of a declining Rodgers so why didn't he have a plan in place. Some might even have said we could have drafted Love.

Bingo!

While its too soon to declare any 2020 pick a "bust", those who already want to declare Love as such, are not recognizing the fact that any player the Packers picked instead of Love might have been a bust. There are no sure things in the draft.

Imagine the screaming had Gute traded way up to #21 to grab Jalen Reagor. I mean, the screaming after Reagor's not that successful rookie season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm posting this from my phone and I don't know how to post a link but according to an article by Nick Shook on NFL.com any restructure of Rodgers contract would require cooperation from Rodgers. I can only take this to mean the Packers can not simply shift money without Rodgers' approval as some here as said. I'm
not saying anything one way or the other but If that is the case then maybe its not all on the Packers.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still convinced that Love was in part selected so high because the 2020 season itself was a complete unknown. At the time, seemed like there was a very real possibility that there might be no football in 2020. In turn, Rodgers would have had several seasons of sliding play coming back after potentially 2 years off, 2 years of no college football making the 2021 draft even more of a crapshoot, unknown financial ramifications impacting the cap and the Packers financials in 2021 and beyond which might have made moving on from Rodgers this year a probability. Probably why Dillon was such a high pick also because probably 0 percent chance they resign Jones in that type of scenario.

I'd like to know how much the unknown factored into GMs plans at the draft that year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts