The Packers - Committed to their own

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If this is the last dance, then they better crush this draft.

Yes and have last years draft class stay healthy, improve and contribute. Actually, a big season for Gutes first and second draft classes as well. His first one (2018) may only have Alexander, MVS and Scott surviving past their rookie contracts.

Teddy's players are slowly dwindling:
  • Rodgers
  • Crosby
  • Bahk
  • Adams
  • Lowry
  • Clark
  • A. Jones
  • King

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article might explain the rationale to those wondering why Rodgers Roster bonus wasn't pushed out into the future.

"The top eight players under contract for next season have a combined 2022 salary-cap charge of $161.14 million.........The Packers already have $204.192 million in committed cap space for 2022, and that's without All-Pros Davante Adams and Jaire Alexander."

The Packers' last dance? Their 2022 salary-cap situation says it's possible - Green Bay Packers Blog- ESPN
Thanks very much. That does explain why they'd be reluctant to push another nickel into the future.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and have last years draft class stay healthy, improve and contribute. Actually, a big season for Gutes first and second draft classes as well. His first one (2018) may only have Alexander, MVS and Scott surviving past their rookie contracts.

Teddy's players are slowly dwindling:
  • Rodgers
  • Crosby
  • Bahk
  • Adams
  • Lowry
  • Clark
  • A. Jones
  • King
I'm looking for big contributions from Dillon, Josh D, and Runyan, at a minimum. I'm also looking for a draft that gives GB at least one, and ideally two starters. Russ Ball did a nice job working with very little this off season. That said, the Packers haven't been able to add any big name FA talent. So yeah, the guys drafted last year need to step up. Well, the whole team needs to step up. They were so close last year. I hope this isn't the last dance with Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

This could very well be true, but I would also like to think it is Ball and Gute saying "ok, the future with Rodgers isn't exactly engraved in stone just yet, we already pushed a lot of money out into the future this offseason, do we have any moves pending that we need his cap space for right now?" If they answered that last part with a "no" or a simple "not right now, but we have other ways to get the cap space, including his annual salary, if the need arises", they probably just pulled the trigger on paying the bonus, which was due on March 19.

As mentioned previously, if the Packers wouldn't have needed the cap space creating by restructuring Rodgers' contract they could have rolled over the cap space saved into the 2022 season. Therefore there would have been no harm in doing it.

Or they could be holding the restructure back as an "if all else fails" move while they attempt to extend several players. They could be waiting to see what they get in the draft so they can see who to release afterwards for cap relief. Can't start the season at 100% cap spent in case of injuries. Need a bit of room to wiggle then.

According to the NFLPA the Packers currently have close to $3.5 million in cap space after signing King, Lewis and Lancaster. They will need to create some cap space to even sign their rookie class, players #52 and #53 and establish the practice squad.

This article might explain the rationale to those wondering why Rodgers Roster bonus wasn't pushed out into the future.

"The top eight players under contract for next season have a combined 2022 salary-cap charge of $161.14 million.........The Packers already have $204.192 million in committed cap space for 2022, and that's without All-Pros Davante Adams and Jaire Alexander."

The Packers' last dance? Their 2022 salary-cap situation says it's possible - Green Bay Packers Blog- ESPN

If this year truly is the Packers last dance with Rodgers as their starting quarterback they should have pushed as much money as possible into future seasons to improve the team's chances of winning the Super Bowl in 2021.

They resigned Redmond. This is getting ridiculous now

The Packers most likely signed Redmond to a deal at or close to the minimum with no guaranteed money to give him the chance to compete for a roster spot. There's no reason to get worked up about the signing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that the Packers will clear up several million dollars very soon by announcing an extension of Davante Adams making him the highest paid WR in the league. He is scheduled to make a base salary of slightly over 12 million in 2021. By extending him for 4 more years they can save 8+ million this year by converting 10 or 11 million of that salary to a signing bonus. This makes far more sense to me than rushing to push Rodgers' money out just to say you have cap space since that can be done pretty much any time they want to anyway.

Like I said before, counting on a cap explosion in 2023 to fix all your problems might not be the best way to go, especially if we have to get through 2022 before that happens. Who will we have to cut in 2022 just to get under the cap and what what will all this pushing money out do to our cap space in 2023. Even if the cap does explode having the option to use the extra money to sign some players rather than just bring you close to even might make sense.

The bottom line is the Packers still have options besides pushing Rodgers money out and they still have that option as well. My guess is that had Gute identified a FA that he wanted at a price he thought was in line he would have made the move to restructure Rodgers. With one restructure and one extension they can create around 17 million dollars. More that enough to sign the draft class, bottom 3 players and PS plus have some extra to fill in some holes. They may not be filled with the high priced high risk players some of you would have preferred but our team that was 1 game, a game in which they were competitive, away from the SB is still largely intact.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Redmond signing is like said above insurance in case they miss in the draft. It is looking more and more like a Best Player Available draft to me as they continue to sign their own guys. Who is next Ervin or Greene?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They just want insurance for the early rounder they are going to take in the draft, but Redmond was dreadful in the nfccg.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Redmond signing is like said above insurance in case they miss in the draft. It is looking more and more like a Best Player Available draft to me as they continue to sign their own guys. Who is next Ervin or Greene?
I like both of them. I think you should to use Greene sparingly because of his size but he is a + when he is in there imho.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that the Packers will clear up several million dollars very soon by announcing an extension of Davante Adams making him the highest paid WR in the league. He is scheduled to make a base salary of slightly over 12 million in 2021. By extending him for 4 more years they can save 8+ million this year by converting 10 or 11 million of that salary to a signing bonus. This makes far more sense to me than rushing to push Rodgers' money out just to say you have cap space since that can be done pretty much any time they want to anyway.

Like I said before, counting on a cap explosion in 2023 to fix all your problems might not be the best way to go, especially if we have to get through 2022 before that happens. Who will we have to cut in 2022 just to get under the cap and what what will all this pushing money out do to our cap space in 2023. Even if the cap does explode having the option to use the extra money to sign some players rather than just bring you close to even might make sense.

The bottom line is the Packers still have options besides pushing Rodgers money out and they still have that option as well. My guess is that had Gute identified a FA that he wanted at a price he thought was in line he would have made the move to restructure Rodgers. With one restructure and one extension they can create around 17 million dollars. More that enough to sign the draft class, bottom 3 players and PS plus have some extra to fill in some holes. They may not be filled with the high priced high risk players some of you would have preferred but our team that was 1 game, a game in which they were competitive, away from the SB is still largely intact.
Nice analysis, and it explains a lot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As mentioned previously, if the Packers wouldn't have needed the cap space creating by restructuring Rodgers' contract they could have rolled over the cap space saved into the 2022 season. Therefore there would have been no harm in doing it.

I get that, but that is not what we see every season, pushing a bunch of contracts into the future, just to have this huge cap margin for the current year, so not sure why they would start doing it now.

There are many other ways that they can make cap space, focusing only on this $4.5 M they didn't push out by paying Rodgers his bonus, not only seems like a dead subject, it seems like something many are trying to use haphazardly to try and answer the bigger unknown. That being the $100 Billion Dollar burning question of "How long will Rodgers be a Packer?"

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But why create it in the first place if they don't need it or plan to use it? Just so they can roll it over? Especially when the opportunity is still there to create most of it by converting his salary at pretty much any time if they decide they do want it or plan to use it. Remember there is still the option of creating cap space by extending Adams which I think is more likely and more prudent at this time.

Besides you are advocating they create it and use it so there will be none left to roll over.

On top of that moving money affects not only the 2022 cap but the 2023 cap as well while a rollover only helps in 2022. I know you expect a huge cap increase in 2023 and you may be right but like I have said several times I am not sure its a wise move to count on it solving all the problems.

According to the NFLPA the Packers currently have close to $3.5 million in cap space after signing King, Lewis and Lancaster. They will need to create some cap space to even sign their rookie class, players #52 and #53 and establish the practice squad.

As you have said yourself they won't need all that much to sign the draft class because those 10 players will replace 10 already under contract. I think you mentioned somewhere in the 2-3 million range but I may be wrong on that and I can't find the post. They have plenty of opportunity to create more than enough space to do what they need to do to sign their rookie class, #52 and 53 and the PS

If this year truly is the Packers last dance with Rodgers as their starting quarterback they should have pushed as much money as possible into future seasons to improve the team's chances of winning the Super Bowl in 2021.

That certainly is your opinion and you have stated it repeatedly through this entire off season. However, it is only one opinion and as valid as it is it is certainly no more valid than the opinion that maybe its not such a good idea to push every penny possible into the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That certainly is your opinion and you have stated it repeatedly through this entire off season. However, it is only one opinion and as valid as it is it is certainly no more valid than the opinion that maybe its not such a good idea to push every penny possible into the future.

Agree. While I really would like to see and I think we will see, the Packers do a few more things to improve the team, they pretty much have the core group of players back that one might argue were one play away from the Super Bowl.

Also, I am not a big fan of "shoving all in" just to try and win 1 Super Bowl. Especially with a team that basically is as good as their QB. A Rodgers injury and goodbye SB, an injury filled season like the 49'ers had, etc. Then what do you have? An over mortgaged team with an old QB and a sign in the trophy case saying "we shoved all in for 2021, but failed, hello 80's Packers". Give me a well balanced, thought out, long term strategy for fielding winning teams, that every year have a legit chance to win a SB. Which I think is what the Packers have been doing for many years now.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is the apparent disinterest by the FO in keeping Rodgers around past 2021. He played one of the best seasons of his life last year, earned a third MVP, and barring injury, looks like he can outperform all but one or two other QBs in the league. Why wouldn't you at least verbally commit to such a guy? Murphy hasn't helped with his comments. And on his last TV show of the season, MLF looked downright panicked at the prospect of Rodgers not coming back.

I just don't get it. Yeah Rodgers has assumed some of the prima donna attitude of Favre, but c'mon, he's nowhere near the headache Favre became (and Favre went on to play two very good seasons with the Vikings).

So I'm confused. Maybe these guys aren't talking directly and rather doing it through the media, a bad idea. But damn I hope Rodgers retires as a Packer with two or three more very good years. The best case is for him to pull a John Elway. Win the SB and call it a day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I don't understand is the apparent disinterest by the FO in keeping Rodgers around past 2021. He played one of the best seasons of his life last year, earned a third MVP, and barring injury, looks like he can outperform all but one or two other QBs in the league. Why wouldn't you at least verbally commit to such a guy? Murphy hasn't helped with his comments. And on his last TV show of the season, MLF looked downright panicked at the prospect of Rodgers not coming back.

I just don't get it. Yeah Rodgers has assumed some of the prima donna attitude of Favre, but c'mon, he's nowhere near the headache Favre became (and Favre went on to play two very good seasons with the Vikings).

So I'm confused. Maybe these guys aren't talking directly and rather doing it through the media, a bad idea. But damn I hope Rodgers retires as a Packer with two or three more very good years. The best case is for him to pull a John Elway. Win the SB and call it a day.

So I have to ask, what other Packer players have you heard this expected "Commitment talk" about? What are you expecting to hear? Both MLF and Gute seemed on board with the commitment to Rodgers in early Feb. of this year, so why are people reading into Murphy just wanting to be silent on it, as a sign that Rodgers is done in GB after this season?

Are you worried the Packers are moving on from MLF or Gute, because there hasn't been any commitment talk regarding them? Rodgers is under contract for 3 more years, Packers hold most of the cards.

Packers ‘Absolutely’ Committed to Aaron Rodgers Beyond 2021 - Sports Illustrated Green Bay Packers News, Analysis and More

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I have to ask, what other Packer players have you heard this expected "Commitment talk" about? What are you expecting to hear? Both MLF and Gute seemed on board with the commitment to Rodgers in early Feb. of this year, so why are people reading into Murphy just wanting to be silent on it, as a sign that Rodgers is done in GB after this season?

Are you worried the Packers are moving on from MLF or Gute, because there hasn't been any commitment talk regarding them? Rodgers is under contract for 3 more years, Packers hold most of the cards.

Packers ‘Absolutely’ Committed to Aaron Rodgers Beyond 2021 - Sports Illustrated Green Bay Packers News, Analysis and More
Yeah I mean I hope this is all about nothing. And anything Murphy says in the moment doesn't have to line up exactly with any fan's expectation. From MLF's intro presser, where Murphy did almost all the talking, it's clear his ego takes over now and then.

That said, it's not really fair to compare Rodgers to MLF or Gluten or any other player, he IS the face of the franchise right now and along with Adams, GB's most valuable players in the quest for another SB. And I agree with you that the Packers hold most of the cards here - he is under contract for three years - but something tells me that if he really wanted out of GB, he could force GB's hand.

But he hasn't, and he hasn't made any specific references to it (unlike Watson and Wilson). In the end, it all comes down to production. If Rodgers keeps producing anywhere close to what he did last year, or for most of his career, he'll stay in GB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I hope this is all about nothing. And anything Murphy says in the moment doesn't have to line up exactly with any fan's expectation. From MLF's intro presser, where Murphy did almost all the talking, it's clear his ego takes over now and then.

That said, it's not really fair to compare Rodgers to MLF or Gluten or any other player, he IS the face of the franchise right now and along with Adams, GB's most valuable players in the quest for another SB. And I agree with you that the Packers hold most of the cards here - he is under contract for three years - but something tells me that if he really wanted out of GB, he could force GB's hand.

But he hasn't, and he hasn't made any specific references to it (unlike Watson and Wilson). In the end, it all comes down to production. If Rodgers keeps producing anywhere close to what he did last year, or for most of his career, he'll stay in GB.

I get Packer fans wondering about Rodgers future, hell we all wondered if they were going to resign Jones and most thought "no". I put more of the blame for these hand wringing discussions about Rodgers on the media. They seem to be the ones who love to throw gas on the fire, fan the flames and see if they can get a big fire roaring. I just listened to Greg Jennings go off on the Packers over the way they have treated Rodgers. Contradicting himself by first saying "MLF and Gute came out right after the season and sung Rodgers praises, saying they have no intention of parting ways." Then Greg tries to start the Media fire by saying "but since then, they haven't said anything, this is a FHOF QB and they aren't committing to him?". JFC Greg, do they need to have a weekly "we are just fine with #12 Press Conference"?

I don't know what will happen with Rodgers, but I think a few of us are getting tired of all the speculation that has been made around all the "they said/didn't say, they did/didn't do" things, most of which actually have very little to do with Rodgers directly and more about people just wanting to speculate.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get Packer fans wondering about Rodgers future, hell we all wondered if they were going to resign Jones and most thought "no". I put more of the blame for these hand wringing discussions about Rodgers on the media. They seem to be the ones who love to throw gas on the fire, fan the flames and see if they can get a big fire roaring. I just listened to Greg Jennings go off on the Packers over the way they have treated Rodgers. Contradicting himself by first saying "MLF and Gute came out right after the season and sung Rodgers praises, saying they have no intention of parting ways." Then Greg tries to start the Media fire by saying "but since then, they haven't said anything, this is a FHOF QB and they aren't committing to him?". JFC Greg, do they need to have a weekly "we are just fine with #12 Press Conference"?

I don't know what will happen with Rodgers, but I think a few of us are getting tired of all the speculation that has been made around all the "they said/didn't say, they did/didn't do" things, most of which actually have very little to do with Rodgers directly and more about people just wanting to speculate.
That's the media's job, right? Speculate on a topic or two and then keep that fire alive so people will keep tuning in and speculating even more. Vicious cycle. The fact is that in sports, winning is everything and players who contribute stick around and are rewarded. As (hopefully) a last few comments on Rodgers, if he continues to perform well and takes them far into January/February, he'll be around next year. If age catches up and he starts to fade, he won't be around. I don't see signs of that, but Drew Brees is a cautionary tale about a guy who played one year too long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's the media's job, right? Speculate on a topic or two and then keep that fire alive so people will keep tuning in and speculating even more. Vicious cycle. The fact is that in sports, winning is everything and players who contribute stick around and are rewarded. As (hopefully) a last few comments on Rodgers, if he continues to perform well and takes them far into January/February, he'll be around next year. If age catches up and he starts to fade, he won't be around. I don't see signs of that, but Drew Brees is a cautionary tale about a guy who played one year too long.

Pretty much, its all about clicks and ratings. Prior to the internet and 500 TV Channels, very little of this crap happened. There weren't 5 million talking heads all trying to out do the other with a scoop, a prediction or a breaking story. Make a bold prediction? If you are right "I told you so". If you are wrong, who cares. No social media or fan boards either to further fuel talk. I'm not complaining, I like having all this "information" available, but sometimes you just have to filter out a lot of the noise.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have to ask what do you see as the apparent disinterest because I just don't see it. Do you think that just because they have not come out and said they absolutely plan on keeping him around past 2021 that that means they don't plan on keeping him around. Would it make you feel any better if they would come out and say AR is going to be our starter for years to come because how many times have we heard stuff like that only for it to be shot down. For that matter I don't read every Packer article but I don't recall reading anything about them saying they plan on keeping Adams around after 2021. I can't believe the apparent disinterest by the FO in keeping Adams around after 2021.

I have seen nothing by the FO that indicates they plan on keeping Rodgers around and I have seen nothing by the FO that indicates they don't plan on keeping him around. Some will point to the Love pick as proof that they plan on moving on but I can see just as much evidence that it was not much more than an insurance pick on a guy that was too good to pass up.

I realize that to truly understand some things you have to learn to read between the lines but I think what so many people are doing is not reading between the lines but writing the lines themselves because there are no lines to read between.

As of now the possibilities are 1) the Packers move on from AR after 2021. 2) they move on from him after 2022. 3) they move on from him after 2023. 4) they extend him further and move on from him some time after 2024. Right now I don't see any evidence of any of these being the route they have decided on because I don't know that they have decided on what route they are going to take.

D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned repeatedly I would prefer the Packers to push as much money into the first season Rodgers won't be around anymore as I don't expect the team to be a contender that year anyway.

It would allow them to improve the team's chances to win another Super Bowl while he's around though.

As you have said yourself they won't need all that much to sign the draft class because those 10 players will replace 10 already under contract. I think you mentioned somewhere in the 2-3 million range but I may be wrong on that and I can't find the post. They have plenty of opportunity to create more than enough space to do what they need to do to sign their rookie class, #52 and 53 and the PS

It's true the Packers have several options to create enough cap space to sign their draft class as well as account for #52 and #53 and the practice squad.

I just wanted to point out that they need to make a move to get it done.

I'm well aware that it's solely my opinion and not more valid than any other one. That's true for your take on the situation as well though.

Also, I am not a big fan of "shoving all in" just to try and win 1 Super Bowl. Especially with a team that basically is as good as their QB. A Rodgers injury and goodbye SB, an injury filled season like the 49'ers had, etc. Then what do you have? An over mortgaged team with an old QB and a sign in the trophy case saying "we shoved all in for 2021, but failed, hello 80's Packers". Give me a well balanced, thought out, long term strategy for fielding winning teams, that every year have a legit chance to win a SB. Which I think is what the Packers have been doing for many years now.

The Packers restructuring Rodgers' contract to sign a free agent wouldn't gave made a significant difference regarding their cap situation down the road but signing a veteran with the cap space saved might have improved their chances of winning a Super Bowl in 2021.

So I have to ask, what other Packer players have you heard this expected "Commitment talk" about?

You don't hear any talk about other players because none of them is as important to the Packers' success as Rodgers (you even mentioned that in your previous post wondering what happens in case of an injury to him).

What are you expecting to hear? Both MLF and Gute seemed on board with the commitment to Rodgers in early Feb. of this year, so why are people reading into Murphy just wanting to be silent on it, as a sign that Rodgers is done in GB after this season?

Once again, I don't care about words. This offseason, the Packers haven't acted as if they're committed to Rodgers long-term.

There are different opinions on the topic out there as well:

https://eu.packersnews.com/story/sp...gers-could-force-his-way-out-town/4837930001/

I have seen nothing by the FO that indicates they plan on keeping Rodgers around and I have seen nothing by the FO that indicates they don't plan on keeping him around. Some will point to the Love pick as proof that they plan on moving on but I can see just as much evidence that it was not much more than an insurance pick on a guy that was too good to pass up.

The combination of the Packers selecting Love in the first round last year and the unwillingness to restructure Rodgers' contract or guarantee any money left on his current deal strongly indicates the Packers plan on moving on from him before Love's rookie deal is up.

As a side note, do you honestly believe Gutekunst selected Love because he thought he was to good to pass up to have him sit on the bench for four years before he leaves town for a compensatory pick???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Thats just more company speak and they are lying according to some

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I never thought of it that way. I always thought it was the media’s job to report the facts. The way you stated it sounds like tabloid and paparazzi garbage to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As a side note, do you honestly believe Gutekunst selected Love because he thought he was to good to pass up to have him sit on the bench for four years before he leaves town for a compensatory pick???

Yes, to part 1 of your 3 part question.

Parts 2 and 3 were and still are independent from part 1, as well as contingent on future events that happen after the draft decision was made.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media has always had some flare for the dramatics. it keeps people interested. But the past 10-15 years has seemed to really swing so far that way I don't know why people even pay attention. it's gone from "if it bleeds, it leads" to just flat out creating a controversy based on nothing but speculation and then the speculators further speculate on the speculation and away they go.

Members online

Latest posts