The New DLine

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
This Dline is something to be excited about. Mo Wilkerson, Mikey D and Kenny Clark are absolute beasts. I love this dline and think it will easily be the best 3-4 dline in the league.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be one of the better lines if we stay healthy, and we have some decent depth there too. Def excited. But the rest of our D is collectively kind of trash.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Dline is something to be excited about. Mo Wilkerson, Mikey D and Kenny Clark are absolute beasts. I love this dline and think it will easily be the best 3-4 dline in the league.

Reasons for Optimism

• Pettine will bring schematic changes and a new energy
  • Clark still growing and learning. Should get better this season.
  • Daniels may be reinvigorated with defnsive help
  • Mo Wilkerson is on a 1 year deal and looking to make 1 last big FA contract.
  • Having another defensive line stud will take protection attention and free up others
  • Adams and Lawry should both be better - providing better depth
Pessimism
  • Daniels has been regressing and may continue
  • Mo Wilkinson has not played well the last 2 years
  • Clark is being over played, may have an impact

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No doubt this could be one of the better D-lines that we have seen in awhile and that should help the guys working behind them, but there is still a long way to go before I'm even close to being comfortable with the rest of the defense.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reasons for Optimism

Pettine will bring schematic changes and a new energy
Clark still growing and learning. Should get better this season.
Daniels may be reinvigorated with defnsive help
Mo Wilkerson is on a 1 year deal and looking to make 1 last big FA contract.
Having another defensive line stud will take protection attention and free up others
Adams and Lawry should both be better - providing better depth

Pessimism
Daniels has been regressing and may continue
Mo Wilkinson has not played well the last 2 years
Clark is being over played, may have an impact

I question your pessimism.
Daniels hasn't had anyone of note to take pressure of him since B.J. Raji walked away.
Mo Wilkinson is as strong personality and unfortunately lacks motivation when he feels slighted (my impression). A lot of people operate this way and professionals (no matter the $$$) operate the same. He's wanted in Green Bay. He'll produce.
Give Clark time, he's young, he's developing, and needs to play

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be one of the better lines if we stay healthy, and we have some decent depth there too. Def excited. But the rest of our D is collectively kind of trash.

Another person's trash might another's treasure. TT didn't think highly of Heyward and Hyde, and how did that work out for the Chargers and Bills, respectively. A new scheme and new additions could work wonders for the incumbent defensive players.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reasons for Optimism

• Having another defensive line stud will take protection attention and free up others
Pessimism

There's also Montravius Adams for depth. That should help with playing Clark less and giving Daniels some support.

On the unrelated negative side. . .

The Vikings added Sheldon Richardson to an already stacked defense. That is scary.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's also Montravius Adams for depth. That should help with playing Clark less and giving Daniels some support.

On the unrelated negative side. . .

The Vikings added Sheldon Richardson to an already stacked defense. That is scary.
I didn' forget Adams. He's there. I actually think he will develop into a very good player for us and may overtake Lawry this year. I should have included dial. He is a good player and provides great depth. Won't make big plays, but won' give them up, either.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both CM3 and Perry could be the biggest beneficiaries of the stacked d line. Too often they flush the qb and he just steps up and completes a big pass. If the pocket collapses, the edge rush will get to the qb more often. If I were CM3, I would be tickled at the addition of Mo Wilkerson.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t trust Cm3 or Nick Perry to stay healthy. Yes the D line can be dominant, but what about the rest of the defense? It’s almost guaranteed that at some point Perry will be injured and miss time...just like it’s almost guaranteed that Matthews will be slowed by some groin or hamstring issue by the midway point. I won’t even get started on the secondary. I don’t trust one guy back there to be able to make an impact week in week out..not even HCD as he’s probably the most overrated player back there. I’m hoping Kevin King is over this shoulder issue because I think he could be our Xavier Rhodes. Outside of him no one else deserves to start that we have at CB on the roster...I’m hoping they draft one of these talented corners in the first which I think they will.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t trust Cm3 or Nick Perry to stay healthy. Yes the D line can be dominant, but what about the rest of the defense? It’s almost guaranteed that at some point Perry will be injured and miss time...just like it’s almost guaranteed that Matthews will be slowed by some groin or hamstring issue by the midway point. I won’t even get started on the secondary. I don’t trust one guy back there to be able to make an impact week in week out..not even HCD as he’s probably the most overrated player back there. I’m hoping Kevin King is over this shoulder issue because I think he could be our Xavier Rhodes. Outside of him no one else deserves to start that we have at CB on the roster...I’m hoping they draft one of these talented corners in the first which I think they will.
It comes back to the question, is it talent or coaching that holds the defense back
I think there is more evidenced aimed at coaching. I expect a better performance this year from our returning defensive players.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It comes back to the question, is it talent or coaching that holds the defense back
I think there is more evidenced aimed at coaching. I expect a better performance this year from our returning defensive players.

That’s kinda tricky because Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, And Sam Shields were all pretty good here in Green Bay under the same scheme. Capers scheme got predictable and stale but I’m still gonna Lean in favor of lack of talent. Letting guys run by you, Not being able to tackle or get your head around to find the football isn’t a scheme issue.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s kinda tricky because Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, And Sam Shields were all pretty good here in Green Bay under the same scheme. Capers scheme got predictable and stale but I’m still gonna Lean in favor of lack of talent. Letting guys run by you, Not being able to tackle or get your head around to find the football isn’t a scheme issue.

Veteran players galore...and Capers defenses always initially do well, and then struggle.

For sure lack of talent is a reason, but Hayward went from being an average to slightly above average CB here to an All-Pro in San Diego. That's coaching.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. But what I saw far more of is coverage errors and poor communication. That's coaching. And as JJ pointed out, how do you explain capers doing well early and then fading out. Can't be gettiing stale and predictable because he would leave one place after stinkking and immediately do very well with a new team. Same predictable scheme. And our average players become stars in other teams. And the continued DB pattern of players looking good early and then stinking in subsequent seasons.

I have spent foolish hours contemplating this and I don't know. My best guess is that he doesn't develop defensive talent. I think he teaches the basics to the first year players and the next year the vets get advanced training and the basics arent covered as deeply and the rookies never mature in the scheme.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Reasons for Optimism

Pessimism

Daniels has been regressing? I don’t think so at all. Why do you?

For what it’s worth, Clark only played 65% of the defensive snaps in 2017.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels has been regressing? I don’t think so at all. Why do you?

For what it’s worth, Clark only played 65% of the defensive snaps in 2017.
I dont think he is as consistent as he once was. I thought there were some games last season where we really needed some help on the DL and he was quiet all day.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the rest of our D is collectively kind of trash.

It's part of the big picture. Like Blake Martinez game showed an huge improvement once Kenny Clark was back. If we had strong front 3, it has a big cascading effect on rest of the line. I still have a bit of (1 seasons worth of) faith in Clay and would prefer him in the outside with Perry on other side. Martinez has had a wonderful season too. If only we could nab a top CB, it'd elevate the rest of the D considerably.

I think Burnett will leave (overpriced) and we may need a backup there too.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn' forget Adams. He's there. I actually think he will develop into a very good player for us and may overtake Lawry this year. I should have included dial. He is a good player and provides great depth. Won't make big plays, but won' give them up, either.
53 man roster.... Clark ,Daniels, Wilkerson, Adams, Lowry, and Dial. I'm wondering how many interior lineman will be on the roster...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
53 man roster.... Clark ,Daniels, Wilkerson, Adams, Lowry, and Dial. I'm wondering how many interior lineman will be on the roster...

Dial is a free agent, doubt he is back. But hopefully, Mo Adams will be healthy and contributing.