Pickett Signed

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
>> Link to Story <<

Packers win recruiting battle for DT Pickett
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

In perhaps the most competitive negotiation Wednesday, the Green Bay Packers beat out the Bills and the Rams for Rams defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

Terms of the agreement weren't available. Pickett was visiting the Bills but had stayed in touch with the Rams, hoping to get an offer that would bring him back. The Packers talked Pickett into his first visit over the weekend and there was some thought he might not have totally liked his visit.

Those thoughts were proved wrong when the Packers stepped up and gave him a deal. Pickett will replace Grady Jackson as the run-stopping defensive tackle in the team's 4-3 scheme.

Pickett's signing along with the addition of safety Marquand Manuel and re-signings of halfback Ahman Green and defensive end Aaron Kampman are being used as recruiting tools to help prevent Brett Favre from retiring.

Favre is watching the Packers' free-agent acquisitions to see what kind of team they will have. If he likes what he sees, he is expected to postpone thoughts of retiring for another year.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
tromadz said:
BAM!

KGB,Cullen Jenkins,Pickett,Kampman

I LOVE that line

I would prefer this line:

M.Williams / C.Jenkins / R.Pickett / A.Kampman

:D

Oh, so would I, but everything im reading is telling me Mario wont be available probably now...

so the KGB\Cully\Ryan\Kamp line is more likely, and solid! I LOVE IT@!

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this signing since I believe Grady has been solid, but age and weight are catching up to him, considering when the Packers signed him right before the Philly game it seemed he lived in the backfield, pressuring Donovan...now I seemed to be shocked if he gets any passrush at all....not saying Pickett is a passrushing DT, inwhich he is not, but I'd rather have a player not known for being overweight, and healthy free to be the run stopper in this defense....he can play alot more snaps....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice signing. Run stuffer with some explosiveness into the backfield....and young/healthy...something that Grady is not.

* TT...open up the * wallet and get some decent players!!

ooooops

* Edit - Ryan

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive been suggesting patience, and its STARTING to pay off.

Oh yes...starting...

this is only the begining!

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember from last year the Packers were worried about the interior of the Ram's line, but Najeh cut back and attached the edges (U71) against their defense....because their ends were not able to hold up against the run and their lb play was terrible....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey, deus.....there are 11 guys on defense, and the Rams have historically not paid much attention to that side of the ball....which is why they sucked as a unit. All the guy did last season was lead THE LEAGUE in DT tackles. Yeah, bad sign!

Are you telling me that there is never talent on a bad unit?

Uummmm Walter Payton, John Anderson, Barry Sanders, Deuce McCallister, Anquan Bolden, and about 100 other players come to mind.

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeusNova said:
If Ryan Pickett was good, why was the Rams defense so bad?

Bad signing.

this is the stupidest thing i have heard the rams defense was so bad because the had no linebackers, cornerbacks or safteys!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very good signing as some scouts have predicted Pickett to be a probowl level player. Better than Grady or Sam Adams.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=408005

So far we have a good start at continuing to improve the defense. Now it's time to work on the offense. Green was a start, but we need to solidify the OL in order to be competitive. If TT wants to keep Favre from retiring and give MM the tools for a playoff run, then he must sign at least 1 solid FA OG.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh finally.. Great signing. Now things are starting to come together. Pickett and Barry done in one day. Good Day today.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our D line on run downs should be Kampmann/Corey Williams/Pickett/Montgomery. On obvious passing downs Kampmann (spelled by Poppinga)/Cullin Jenkins/Collin Cole/KGB. Peterson and Donnell play sparingly.

The key to d line play is rotation, not necessarily a great starting 4. I think we are in good shape without Mario. I would still take him if available, but I don't think he will be. Hawk, Huff, and Vernon Davis should now be our targets.

I am very please with this signing for different reasons, but the main reason is that we do not have to pay fat, lazy Gravy big bucks. Has he every reported to camp in shape?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually see something like this

Kampman/Pickett/Cole/KGB

I think that would be the starters. Though the DT opening next to Pickett will be the hot topic in Camp this year unless we sign somebody else.

For LB's I'm guessing it'll look

Hawk/Barnett/Popinga

Hopefully we could get someone like Ben Taylor in to replace Popinga. I see us drafting AJ Hawk if Mario Williams is off the board. LB is a need and Hawk is a Big 10. Might as well keep him in Big 10 country.... Seriously though he is the 2nd best Defensive player in the Draft in my opinion.

Secondary is to be determind yet

Harris/Collins/Manuel/????

I don't see Carroll starting next year. Maybe Mike Hawkins can become the player I think he can.

Just speculation though.

Reaction score
I think the LB Manning might be a dark horse in the LB race. Not to mention Kurt Campbell, who got injured last season. We have some prospects, they just have to come out and claim the position.

I think Poppinga would be better off the bench for the first few games because he needs to get back into game shape. It is one thing to stay in shape, but it is another thing to play the game. He just needs to get his legs under him before we send him to start, IMO.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I actually see something like this

Kampman/Pickett/Cole/KGB

I think that would be the starters. Though the DT opening next to Pickett will be the hot topic in Camp this year unless we sign somebody else.

For LB's I'm guessing it'll look

Hawk/Barnett/Popinga

Hopefully we could get someone like Ben Taylor in to replace Popinga. I see us drafting AJ Hawk if Mario Williams is off the board. LB is a need and Hawk is a Big 10. Might as well keep him in Big 10 country.... Seriously though he is the 2nd best Defensive player in the Draft in my opinion.

Secondary is to be determind yet

Harris/Collins/Manuel/????

I don't see Carroll starting next year. Maybe Mike Hawkins can become the player I think he can.

Just speculation though.

Ya know Porky88,
That's not a bad line-up. We have a little depth with this line-up too.

I like the signing.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that this lineup is solid, granted I would like a little more pass rush out of it, but I really think Montgomery could be a steal at DE from the last draft, I see him with the desire of AK, with alot more ability, now if he can get alot more tecnique he could be a big contributor this year

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great signing and hesa ONLY 25 compared to grady how great is this. ok well heres a lineup of defesnse

d line- KGB,COLE,PICKETT,KAMPMANN

line backers- NICK BARNETt, AJ HAWk, BEN TAYLOR

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Great signing and hesa ONLY 25 compared to grady how great is this. ok well heres a lineup of defesnse

d line- KGB,COLE,PICKETT,KAMPMANN

line backers- NICK BARNETt, AJ HAWk, BEN TAYLOR

Do my eyes deceive me? Did you actually use a period(.) in your post? Folks, gopackgo4 has discovered punctuation! :joy: :wink:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These big run-stuffing DT's are always hard to find--especially the ones who are able to stay healthy. So this looks like a very good signing to me. Just a couple days ago I saw a mock draft (Don Banks of SI) that had the Pack taking that DT from Oregon, Ngata or whatever. I guess that's not going to happen now. And that's okay with me. I'd rather have a player in that spot who has proven himself in the NFL.