Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has PFC chimed in on this or is he still celebrating that its not McDaniels.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted a defensive guru type of coach. Anyway, I hope LaFleur gets us to the next SB.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A QB Coach as a HC and a great QB make a lot of sense. The communication between the two is enormous - just look at Frank ***** and Andrew Luck who mesh on another level because they are both QBs. Do you think that GB will do something like Indy in getting OL men who will keep Aaron upright? Finally spending some early round picks on OL talent? Watch and wait my friends the Offense may be very fun to watch.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The introductory paragraph of LaFleur's wikipedia article currently says "Sources in NFL inner circles call him the second coming of Belichick or “Lambardi reincarnated”.

I'll take that as a good sign.

EDIT

Updated article says "He will be called upon to ensure the best QB of all time finishes with one ring."

Attachments

• 7D6E9214-02EF-4806-A899-B4682C2603EF.png
    7D6E9214-02EF-4806-A899-B4682C2603EF.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 102

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LaFleur's pedigree is about as good as it gets.

He cut his teeth in the NFL under Gary Kubiak.

He was a QB Coach for Jay Gruden.

He was a QB Coach for Kyle Shanahan.

He was an OC for Sean McVay.

The question is how well he runs an offense on his own, given how things went in Tennessee this year. That's not an easy question to answer from afar, as he had some really important personnel problems. Obviously the FO thinks the issues were more attributable to the players. I'm going to assume they're right! Optimism all the way.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The introductory paragraph of LaFleur's wikipedia article currently says "Sources in NFL inner circles call him the second coming of Belichick or “Lambardi reincarnated”.

I'll take that as a good sign.

EDIT

Updated article says "He will be called upon to ensure the best QB of all time finishes with one ring."

That article has been edited a ton in the past 2 hours - a bunch of jokers probably.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TN fan here. He's a great hire. Very smart and relatable. The stats last year are a representation of a completely battered and barren receiving crop and a QB who couldn't grip a ball. He'll be an immediate upgrade. I'm not fond of keeping Pettine or anyone else around. This guy is sharp and will find coaches who can get the job done instead of giving us hope that they might be good one day.
Yeah I like Pettine but the coordinators need to be selected by the HC. Maybe LaFleur is ok with Pettine, but that needs to be his call, not Murphy or Gluten.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Keep telling ourself that buddy Haha. I hope this team does well next year because right now it’s lokking like they made a mistake. I’ll reserve judgement for now.

Look, you may or may not know people who may or may not have insider information, but you crowed pretty loud about knowing exactly what would happen and none of it has so maybe just sit a few rounds out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Look, you may or may not know people who may or may not have insider information, but you crowed pretty loud about knowing exactly what would happen and none of it has so maybe just sit a few rounds.
Didn’t know whether to give a funny or a winner, but there ya go. :tup:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so I’m hearing from my bro who’s close friends with Ben McDaniels Josh’s younger brother that Josh was the first choice NOT Lafleur!! The only reason they chose Laflaeur
Is because Josh wanted HIS OWN coaching staff including DC!! I told you guys the only way Josh wouldn’t get the job is if the Packers didn’t let him chose who he wanted to retain which is exactly what happened! Smh I hate Murphy even more now, Gute really is just a puppet on a string! I’m pissed! I hope they got this right, but it’s BS not to let the incoming HC chose he wants!! Everyone including the HC will be Murphy’s puppet! That’s why he kept McCarthy and TT so long! I hope this Lafleur Guy isn’t some tool and this works out.
The HC should have no limitations on who he hires. I like Pettine but would feel better of LaFleur likes Pettine. If not, he gets to pick his own guys.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably old news but you can search 'Tennessee Titans full game 2018' on youtube and watch a few games to judge yourself.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well - I admit I do not know much about La Fleur. But if Zook and Philbin are allowed to stay the egg is rotten and Murphy is calling the shots. Pettine is very questionable to keep as well. I didnt see any difference in the D than Capers. I expect Zook, Philbin, and Whitt to get the heave ho or La Fleur doesnt see the forest for the trees. Pettine had limited time but I saw no and I mean no consistency out of the defensive unit. The minute the team got up the D fell apart. No pass rush and seldom obvious blitzes should have been called. I'm more than willing to give La Fleur ample opportunity to turn this team in the right direction but not chucking the bad eggs shows an ineptitude. Just sayin.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well - I admit I do not know much about La Fleur. But if Zook and Philbin are allowed to stay the egg is rotten and Murphy is calling the shots. Pettine is very questionable to keep as well. I didnt see any difference in the D than Capers. I expect Zook, Philbin, and Whitt to get the heave ho or La Fleur doesnt see the forest for the trees. Pettine had limited time but I saw no and I mean no consistency out of the defensive unit. The minute the team got up the D fell apart. No pass rush and seldom obvious blitzes should have been called. I'm more than willing to give La Fleur ample opportunity to turn this team in the right direction but not chucking the bad eggs shows an ineptitude. Just sayin.
Anyone suggesting that this defense was just as bad as what Capers trotted out the last two years is simply choosing to see what they want to see. I’ve been a huge critic of the Packers defense for years. They are the main reason why the Packers have failed to win another super bowl, but they gave us ample opportunity to win a lot of games this year and the offense failed to deliver the way we’ve seen them deliver in the past.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My masseuse has a client who takes his dog to a canine manicurist who shares a building with my cousins attorney, Giorgio Frediccine. Frediccine once represented a man who went to high school with LaFleur.

Anyways, she said that LaFleur was the top choice all along that McDaniels was only brought to be laughed at for being a *********.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, you may or may not know people who may or may not have insider information, but you crowed pretty loud about knowing exactly what would happen and none of it has so maybe just sit a few rounds out.
What a strange day when I defend Rodell. He stated his family is friends with McDaniels family. I dont think the way things panned out proves anything. Had he claimed he knew Gute and McD was the pick, you'd be right to ridicule him. He only knew one side and what he said could have all been true, and probably is.

• McDaniels really wanted the job
  • McDaniels (according to McDaniels) felt he was the leading candidate for the job
  • McD wanted his own DC (no way of knowing this)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My masseuse has a client who takes his dog to a canine manicurist who shares a building with my cousins attorney, Giorgio Frediccine. Frediccine once represented a man who went to high school with LaFleur.

Anyways, she said that LaFleur was the top choice all along that McDaniels was only brought to be laughed at for being a *********.
Rodell gets his pee pee wacked.;):p

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What a strange day when I defend Rodell. He stated his family is friends with McDaniels family. I dont think the way things panned out proves anything. Had he claimed he knew Gute and McD was the pick, you'd be right to ridicule him. He only knew one side and what he said could have all been true, and probably is.

• McDaniels really wanted the job
  • McDaniels (according to McDaniels) felt he was the leading candidate for the job
  • McD wanted his own DC (no way of knowing this)

The extent of my knowledge about Rodell330 is that he's a person with an account on packerforum.com. I'm not saying he's a liar and I'm not saying he's connected.

But I'll be damned if I'm not going to have some fun with this.

coachal89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only offensive coach to keep is Campen and clean out the rest of them.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I’m a grown man, and real man stand by what they sayright or wrong. I could care less if I get ridiculed. I know what I know and I know what I was told. Don’t forget that I said why I thought McDaniels wouldn’t get the job of they chose another HC....the way things are looking now I was exactly correct. Not only does it look like hey will retain Pettine? But it looks like they want to keep Philbin as well! You guys can harp on me all you want but this smells like Murphy has his hands all over who Lafleurs staff will be...just like I said he’d tried to do! Lafleur is another MM 2.0 who will be a yes man, try to get Rodgers back to 2011-12 Rodgers and basically be the scapegoat of this all blows up! I hope nothing but success for the guy...but please remember this post!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think when Packers hired Mike Holmgren he probably wasnt a Splash hire nor was Mike McCarthy.
I disagree that Holmgren wasn't a splash hire. He came from one of the most successful football programs of all time, and had coached Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Ok so I’m hearing from my bro who’s close friends with Ben McDaniels Josh’s younger brother that Josh was the first choice NOT Lafleur!! The only reason they chose Laflaeur Is because Josh wanted HIS OWN coaching staff including DC!!
That may well have been part of it. The other thing is all those rumors that McDaniels #1 choice was coaching the Browns. If I'm hiring a HC for the Packers, I'm expecting to hire someone who really wants the job.

Not sure what to think about LeFleur. He might well be successful, but it doesn't seem like a slam dunk. The Titans didn't exactly tear it up this year. We'll have to wait and see. I'm probably most impressed with his work with Matt Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.