Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy will be another tool mark
My words! I pray we start off saddles blazing! Because if we don’t this guy might not last the entire year and things will get ugly! You can tell in his interviews and how he was with the Titans he’s basically the same personality as Gute. I’m not excited about this at all

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling if this forum was around in the early 90s people would poo poo The Mike Holmgren hire too.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don’t even know if that’s the case. For all we know Rodell can be wrong on this just like he was about mcdaniels being the hire. It’s all hearsay as far as I’m concerned. And pettine did a good job all things considered. Wish Whitt and Zook will be let go soon though. Don’t make prejudgment about LaFleur without seeing the man work

I know I was wrong about McDaniels not getting the job that’s obvious now. But I was NEVER wrong about anything else I said about that situation. Including why they wouldn’t hire him!!

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine was ever going anywhere no matter who got the job! You can take that *** you want, buddy.
I can't imagine any good head coach agreeing to that, especially when Pettine did squat with the defense. Pettine has done nothing do deserve being retained.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like dude said if zook ain’t fired immediately then he is a idiot

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the feeling if this forum was around in the early 90s people would poo poo The Mike Holmgren hire too.
Holmgren got to bring in his own staff, and SF at the time had a dynamite offense, not 25th like the Titans.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Holmgren got to bring in his own staff, and SF at the time had a dynamite offense, not 25th like the Titans.

Mike McCarthy ran the 30th ranked offense in San Francisco before he came here.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine any good head coach agreeing to that, especially when Pettine did squat with the defense. Pettine has done nothing do deserve being retained.

And when you hear he was retained then what are you going to say? All that’s goong to do is confirm what I’m saying even more. Josh Did NOT want to retain Pettine. This new guy probably will!

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy ran the 30th ranked offense in San Francisco before he came here.
I never liked MM, inspite of the SB win. The Packers were a wagon in 2010.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we atleast give this guy time before we bag him? He has not even had an official press conference yet. We dont know if he can or cannot bring in his own guys other than Defense. In the interviews supposedly he wanted Pettine has DC.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when you hear he was retained then what are you going to say? All that’s goong to do is confirm what I’m saying even more. Josh Did NOT want to retain Pettine. This new guy probably will!
I'm gonna say, we better see some improvement, then.

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels wasn't even the #2 option for the Packers lol

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I never liked MM, inspite of the SB win. The Packers were a wagon in 2010.

MM almost made couple of Super Bowls.

Almost went to one with Farve but Favre did Farve things, Had a choke in Seattle and Defense shat the bed other times. He was a good coach but his message went stale.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
LaFleur is obviously destined for success cause he worked as a quarterbacks and wide receivers coach where I went to college.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels wasn't even the #2 option for the Packers lol

Keep telling ourself that buddy Haha. I hope this team does well next year because right now it’s lokking like they made a mistake. I’ll reserve judgement for now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say it was a 50/50 proposition heading into it that Pettine was going to be retained or replaced. Actually I felt that it was probably going to weigh into the coaching hire pretty heavily as to what their thoughts were and someone who wanted to hire a new DC would probably have to blow them away more than anyone else. I doubt LaFleur got the job because he agreed to keep Pettine and others wouldn't. I'm going to guess there was a lot more behind the hire and that was just a part of it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so I’m hearing from my bro who’s close friends with Ben McDaniels Josh’s younger brother that Josh was the first choice NOT Lafleur!! The only reason they chose Laflaeur
Is because Josh wanted HIS OWN coaching staff including DC!! I told you guys the only way Josh wouldn’t get the job is if the Packers didn’t let him chose who he wanted to retain which is exactly what happened! Smh I hate Murphy even more now, Gute really is just a puppet on a string! I’m pissed! I hope they got this right, but it’s BS not to let the incoming HC chose he wants!! Everyone including the HC will be Murphy’s puppet! That’s why he kept McCarthy and TT so long! I hope this Lafleur Guy isn’t some tool and this works out.

Damn you better believe Elliot Wolf is thanking his lucky stars he got passed over for GM.

Mark Murphy wanted a guy who would keep the remaining coaching staff intact - you can count on Zook, Whitt, and Lovat to still be here next season!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn you better believe Elliot Wolf is thanking his lucky stars he got passed over for GM.

Mark Murphy wanted a guy who would keep the remaining coaching staff intact - you can count on Zook, Whitt, and Lovat to still be here next season!
that's a stretch. and it's not uncommon for an incoming coach to a recently successful team, with parts of the success still under contract, to keep them on. I can't believe people think it odd he may be keeping Pettine on as DC.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the packers only had 1 year renewable contracts for the staff. Are any of them actually still under contract?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as far as I know, none were expired, and none were terminated other than McCarthy. They're all still under contract and it's smart to do so because some of those guys are worth keeping around. If you let them go, the best parts just get snatched up by someone else and they might be guys the new HC wants to keep. But i'm sure whatever parts he doesn't want, he will replace.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread makes my head hurt. I get wanting someone other than LaFleur but why on earth would keeping Pettine be a bad idea? The guy did a really solid job with what he had. LaFleur had very little talent at Tennessee so I am not too worked about his numbers there. He is well respected around the league. He was on my short list

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now watch the Browns hire McDaniels and win the Super Bowl next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts