Packers acquire LB BJ Goodson

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport the Packers have acquired Goodson. He has appeared in 37 games with the Giants sonce being drafted in the fourth round in 2016, starting 20 of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just saw this hit the wire. Sounds like the Giants were waiving him and the Packers stepped in and made a trade for him. Anyone hear what they gave up?

Don't know much about him, but getting someone at ILB is better than nobody.

Now, who will the Packers cut to make room for him? Maybe someone goes on IR or waived and bumps someone off the PS?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw this hit the wire. Sounds like the Giants were waiving him and the Packers stepped in and made a trade for him. Anyone hear what they gave up?

Now, who will the Packers cut to make room for him? Maybe someone goes on IR or waived and bumps someone off the PS?
i'm betting the 7th they picked up the other day. good question on who goes.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one can accuse Gutekunst of sitting on his hands. I really like this move.

Perhaps you can fill us all in then? I'm not familiar with him. Who did we waive by the way for this acquistion?

All I got is 4th Rounder (109th Overall) out of Clemson. 37 games played of which 20 he started. Only half a sack in 3 seasons....

I saw a Giants fan on Twitter say he might be better in our scheme. But seeing as the Giants DC runs a blitzing 3-4 variant I'm not entirely sure.

Goodson is also characterized as a run stopping ILB, so I'm not sure what he brings to the team that we already don't have other than experience over Summers and to a lesser extent Burks.

Madden Ratings(for good measure):

OVR - 69
AWR - 68
SPD - 83
ACC - 88
AGI - 81
STR - 81
CTH - 59
JMP - 83
TAK - 84
POW - 83
BSH - 73
FMV - 49
PMV - 59
MCV - 45
ZCV - 56
PRS - 49
PRC - 69
PUR - 80

I hope it's Redmond.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know nothing of him. All I read was he slid down the depth chart this summer and they said the Giants are thin at ILB and let him go anyway. But that's one reporters opinion and I can't argue for or against it because I have no idea about him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Goodson is also characterized as a run stopping ILB, so I'm not sure what he brings to the team that we already don't have other than experience over Summers and to a lesser extent Burks.

I would say its the 13 NFL starts that he has under his belt that makes him push for a starting job until Burks returns and earns it back.

Some posters here have almost convinced me that Gute isn't looking for a Will LB or there just aren't great options out there? I think there is some truth to both and Raven Greene will be playing underneath a lot on passing downs.

All that said, I at least like this signing to strengthen the overall position, its still the weakest link on the Defense IMO, but this helps slightly.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BJ Goodson looks like a VERY nice add. 6-1 242 in draft profile from 2018:

Overview
Like many players on major college football powers, Goodson rose up the ranks during his career, waiting for others to graduate or move on to the NFL before being able to show off his full skill set. He was no slouch coming from the same high school as former Clemson and NFL standout linebacker Levon Kirkland, though Goodson's game is not similar to that of his boyhood hero. After two years as a reserve (11 tackles in 2012-2013), Goodson became a co-starter at linebacker as a redshirt sophomore, making 34 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and three recovered fumbles. He took the reins of the defense in his senior season, leading the Tigers with 108 tackles, 14 of which resulted in losses including 5.5 sacks. Goodson displayed an excellent all-around game, intercepting two passes, breaking up three others, and forcing a fumble during the year to garner third-team All-ACC honors from league coaches (second-team from league media).

Strengths
Team captain and leader on that side of the ball. Surprising production as a one-year starter. Stocky with a muscular build to withstand the rigors inside. Brings a thumper's mentality to the field. Uses potent punch-and-shed technique full of leverage and power to attack second level blockers. Took it to Notre Dame’s Nick Martin. Willing to sacrifice body to disrupt blocking and play flow. Plays with base and balance and able to slide under blocks to work into tackles. Has play strength to challenge turn-out blocks and leverage his gap. Rarely cheated as a tackler.

Weaknesses
Hip stiffness leads to athletic limitations in space. Lumbering pursuit speed to the perimeter. Allows running backs a fair shot at turning the corner when he's chasing. Little margin for error with angles to the ball. Still learning patience in his flow to prevent cutback lanes. Labored backpedal in space. Grabby in coverage and could be in trouble when matched up in space. Play-action can cause him to lose his bearings.

Draft Projection
Rounds 3 or 4

NFL Comparison
Max Bullough

Bottom Line
Physical, two-day linebacker with the desire to scrape downhill and strike what he sees. Goodson's lack of pursuit speed and overall athleticism could be troubling to teams, but his toughness and consistency of effort will appeal to teams who value force in the middle. Goodson could figure on the third day of the draft as a backup with eventual starter potential.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/b.j.-goodson?id=2555522

Looks like a big hitter, dynamic player who probably was on their radar in 2018 draft. Like this draft profile a lot! Cool.

Not super fast 4.69, but, maybe another like Josh Jackson, Darrius Shepherd, Geronimo Allison etc who play faster than their 40 times. Still developing. Wish him the best with the Packers.

As a Senior at Clemson:
108 tackles 14 TFL 5.5 sacks 3 PD 2 INT 1 FF 2FR

I dig that stat line. INT/PD/FF/FR all hustle plays I like to look for. Denotes a good football player.

Would Redmond be first out?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
BJ Goodson looks like a VERY nice add. 6-1 242 in draft profile from 2018:

Overview
Like many players on major college football powers, Goodson rose up the ranks during his career, waiting for others to graduate or move on to the NFL before being able to show off his full skill set. He was no slouch coming from the same high school as former Clemson and NFL standout linebacker Levon Kirkland, though Goodson's game is not similar to that of his boyhood hero. After two years as a reserve (11 tackles in 2012-2013), Goodson became a co-starter at linebacker as a redshirt sophomore, making 34 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and three recovered fumbles. He took the reins of the defense in his senior season, leading the Tigers with 108 tackles, 14 of which resulted in losses including 5.5 sacks. Goodson displayed an excellent all-around game, intercepting two passes, breaking up three others, and forcing a fumble during the year to garner third-team All-ACC honors from league coaches (second-team from league media).

Strengths
Team captain and leader on that side of the ball. Surprising production as a one-year starter. Stocky with a muscular build to withstand the rigors inside. Brings a thumper's mentality to the field. Uses potent punch-and-shed technique full of leverage and power to attack second level blockers. Took it to Notre Dame’s Nick Martin. Willing to sacrifice body to disrupt blocking and play flow. Plays with base and balance and able to slide under blocks to work into tackles. Has play strength to challenge turn-out blocks and leverage his gap. Rarely cheated as a tackler.

Weaknesses
Hip stiffness leads to athletic limitations in space. Lumbering pursuit speed to the perimeter. Allows running backs a fair shot at turning the corner when he's chasing. Little margin for error with angles to the ball. Still learning patience in his flow to prevent cutback lanes. Labored backpedal in space. Grabby in coverage and could be in trouble when matched up in space. Play-action can cause him to lose his bearings.

Draft Projection
Rounds 3 or 4

NFL Comparison
Max Bullough

Bottom Line
Physical, two-day linebacker with the desire to scrape downhill and strike what he sees. Goodson's lack of pursuit speed and overall athleticism could be troubling to teams, but his toughness and consistency of effort will appeal to teams who value force in the middle. Goodson could figure on the third day of the draft as a backup with eventual starter potential.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/b.j.-goodson?id=2555522

Looks like a big hitter, dynamic player who probably was on their radar in 2018 draft. Like this draft profile a lot! Cool.

Not super fast 4.69, but, maybe another like Josh Jackson, Darrius Shepherd, Geronimo Allison etc who play faster than their 40 times. Still developing. Wish him the best with the Packers.

As a Senior at Clemson:
108 tackles 14 TFL 5.5 sacks 3 PD 2 INT 1 FF 2FR

I dig that stat line. INT/PD/FF/FR all hustle plays I like to look for. Denotes a good football player.

Would Redmond be first out?

All well and good, but I tend to "toss out" college scouting reports on a guy that has been in the league for 3 years. I think you misread the date of the "profile", should have been 2016? It now is a matter of "what has he done since arriving in the NFL in 2016?"

He hasn't done a ton, but he also was playing on the Giants. Overall, considering nobody behind Martinez has done anything, I like the deal.

Just saw this:

"It’s unclear what the Packers traded for Goodson. The Giants had planned to release him, but a source said multiple teams were vying to sign him on the open market. If not for the trade, Gutekunst would have risked losing Goodson to another team."

If that is true, I doubt we got off as cheap as a 7th rounder.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just a guess, but if I were James Crawford, I'd be nervous.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Could be, but that would leave GB with only three safeties. I suppose Tramon could be put back there in a pinch.

I think Crawford is a good guess, although his work on Special Teams might save him. Chandon Sullivan would be my other guess or someone gets IR'd.

EDIT: It's official, Crawford was released.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some posters here have almost convinced me that Gute isn't looking for a Will LB or there just aren't great options out there? I think there is some truth to both and Raven Greene will be playing underneath a lot on passing downs.

Prior to Shurmur taking over with James Bettcher running a 3-4, the Giants ran a 4-3 under Ben McAdoo and Steve Spagunolo, of which Goodson was used as the MLB. Since MLBs in a 4-3 have to cover more ground and assist more in pass protection it's not a far stretch for him to provide depth at WLB.

God I hope so, but unfortunately he's going through the concussion protocol. Not sure if he can be released until he clears. Unless they can put him on IR and cut him later.

Could be, but that would leave GB with only three safeties. I suppose Tramon could be put back there in a pinch.

It wouldn't be the first time in Pettine's career that he's only ran with 3 safeties.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. Gute attacks a weakness of the roster. Goodson seems like a similar acquisition like Morrison last year. He is faster and more athletic than Morrison, good tackler and aggresive player and his strength is run defense. he wont do much in pass defense but seems to be better than Morrison in that. Run stopping and tackling are 2 things that were missing in preseason and the last season so I am happy that something was done.
Its a good trade. He will take over until Burks comes back, who now will have more time and less pressure to come back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thanks for sharing, was going to try and look up his "highlight" reel eventually. While I always say "highlight reels are for making you feel great about a guy", since you don't see the negative plays in most of them, this one was really encouraging. He looks like he has a good nose for the ball, some speed and a thumper!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, was going to try and look up his "highlight" reel eventually. While I always say "highlight reels are for making you feel great about a guy", since you don't see the negative plays in most of them, this one was really encouraging. He looks like he has a good nose for the ball, some speed and a thumper!
yup. good east/west pursuit...no?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
yup. good east/west pursuit...no?
Yup....and North too, prefer that than seeing a LB back peddling or being pushed South and being out of the play.

Still waiting to hear what they had to give up for him, I doubt it was only a 7th, since I read their were multiple teams wanting him, so the Giants I am pretty sure took the best offer. Maybe a 6th?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was never going to be a bidding war. Remember the Packers picked 12th, so the Packers were 12th on the waiver wire. Meaning if any of those 11 teams who picked ahead of us were interested, he never makes it to us. I could see the Jets, Raiders, Lions, and Bengals most likely putting in a claim. It could have been none of those teams however, but all it takes is one who picked ahead of us. The Cardinals claimed 20 players alone this past week.

Reaction score
Missed the action today until now!

Looks like a solid stop gap. Stats like a veteran 4th rounder which is nothing to be ashamed of. Similar production to a guy we’re all familiar with, Jake Ryan. Although..BJ may be a tick better in coverage than Jake (2 INT in 2018 vs. Jakes 0 career) but a tick less in tackles.

I really like this pick because he’s cheap and has average starter production. He’s not overly impressive, but he’s likely a more immediate answer to our woes at ILB. Plays like you’d expect from a 4th rounder. He’s not going to “WOW” us, but he’s going to offer some consistency and/or depth.

My guess? BJ Might be more apt to impress us with the level of talent around him.. he’s got hands if there’s an errant QB toss etc.. I feel good about this one. No harm, no foul if he doesn’t work out in the short to mid-term.