Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's something interesting about Sweat and RAS:

Vita Vea had an RAS of 9.52. He weighed in at 6040, 347#, had a 1.76 10 yd split, benched 41 reps and didn't jump or do agilities.

Dexter Lawrence had an RAS of 9.86. He weighed in at 6044, 342#, had a 1.75 10 yd split, benched 36 raps, and didn't jump or do agilities.

T'Vondre Sweat had an RAS of 4.07. He weighed in at 6044, 366#, had a 1.80 10 yd split, didn't bench, and jumped 26" and 8'2" respectively.

So you look at the raw RAS scores and imagine there must be a huge difference, but there really isn't. He was a little slower but also a little bigger. So that stuff is a wash for me. Vea and Lawrence got a boost from their bench reps and Sweat didn't (I could not care less-- Sweat is immovably powerful on tape and bench is meaningless). Sweat got dinged for his jumps, which the others would have too if they had opted to do them.

So the difference between the scores in reality is almost nothing.

Now if Hafley wants to build the defensive front in the image of SF, he won't want Sweat. It's all penetration and disruption over there. But if he values a 2 gapper, Sweat should still be firmly in the conversation.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always love when you start posting the cluster thoughts!

Kris Jenkins I think has to be in the mix round 2 for me…as does Khyree Johnson CB

Third round guy I’ll throw out is Beaux Limmer iOL - this cat could be our best RG this year and the succession plan at center for next year and not spend money on Myers. I just hate his age but third round I’m not paying attention to age like Day1

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if Hafley wants to build the defensive front in the image of SF, he won't want Sweat. It's all penetration and disruption over there. But if he values a 2 gapper, Sweat should still be firmly in the conversation.
We fans are all about safeties this year, and RBs, O-line... the more I look at the defenses Hafley's been associated with in the NFL, the more I think we're not giving D-line the proper respect. We may be in for a surprise on draft weekend; may see an early emphasis on massive, penetrating defensive linemen. Especially if we solve the bulk of the safety problem in free agency, which is starting to seem more and more possible and perhaps even likely.

I think we take a big offensive lineman with one of our first few picks, probably still an RB on Day Two, but I would not be shocked to see 2 DL by the end of the 3rd - and especially if we trade back from #25, which is highly possible.

I can't remember a more exciting off-season since the 60s.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always love when you start posting the cluster thoughts!

Kris Jenkins I think has to be in the mix round 2 for me…as does Khyree Johnson CB

Third round guy I’ll throw out is Beaux Limmer iOL - this cat could be our best RG this year and the succession plan at center for next year and not spend money on Myers. I just hate his age but third round I’m not paying attention to age like Day1
I agree with you on Jenkins. Especially, because of the point made above. If we want a front that's similar to San Fran, he probably fits that mold better while still being an elite run stopper. Not that I don't like Sweat, but it makes sense.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame: The forty time wasn't very good, but I don't think Estime is that slow-- I just think he doesn't know how to run in that setting. He tested like a plus athlete and could provide a grinder option to replace Dillon in the offense.

I can't help being leery of this guy... I took some time during the combine to watch some Audric Estime highlight reels, and the more I watched, the more they looked like Blake Fisher and Joe Alt highlight reels. Almost all of the big runs I saw involved either Alt or Fisher blasting open a 15-foot wide hole and Estime grabbbing the ball and racing through it untouched. I only saw a very few plays where he did anything to create a play by himself. If it was there, he'd see it and run; if it wasn't, it just wasn't.

He's got some good tools, and seems like a great kid, but I just don't see him as one of the best in his class like a lot of people seem to. He'd probably be a big upgrade over Dillon, but i don't see him replacing Jones.

Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky: Phillips is one of my handful of favorite prospects in this class. He is extremely physical and has man skills to boot. Ideal slot corner. 20 years old.
I see a lot of him, and I'm surprised he doesn't make more Packer mocks. He has next level skills, and with some NFL coaching, I think he would be a great addition. Very confident and quick-thinking, not afraid to attack the run.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help being leery of this guy... I took some time during the combine to watch some Audric Estime highlight reels, and the more I watched, the more they looked like Blake Fisher and Joe Alt highlight reels. Almost all of the big runs I saw involved either Alt or Fisher blasting open a 15-foot wide hole and Estime grabbbing the ball and racing through it untouched. I only saw a very few plays where he did anything to create a play by himself. If it was there, he'd see it and run; if it wasn't, it just wasn't.

He's got some good tools, and seems like a great kid, but I just don't see him as one of the best in his class like a lot of people seem to. He'd probably be a big upgrade over Dillon, but i don't see him replacing Jones.

I see a lot of him, and I'm surprised he doesn't make more Packer mocks. He has next level skills, and with some NFL coaching, I think he would be a great addition. Very confident and quick-thinking, not afraid to attack the run.
I'm not saying I disagree with you about Estime, but you're really not going to be able evaluate a prospect based on highlight reels.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying I disagree with you about Estime, but you're really not going to be able evaluate a prospect based on highlight reels.
Not comprehensively, no... it's just impressions, and subjective. But when you consider that whomever put it together picked plays that they thought would make the guy look as good as possible, there really weren't many plays that showed he can do anything but run really really fast through open holes. He hits top speed by about his 2nd or 3rd step, which is impressive, but that's the only move I really saw.

But you're right, in order to really evaluate him, you'd have to see a lot more.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good enough for me. I know just what you mean. I'll take a pass.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Estime isn’t the type of back we need now with Dillon.

We need outside the tackle explosive type. Will Shipley is a scat outside burst back on my radar now that we can wait till late third or fourth. He would pair excellently with Josh and AJ

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong Estime is that dude but we don’t need a third between tackles running style back.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Estime isn’t the type of back we need now with Dillon.

We need outside the tackle explosive type. Will Shipley is a scat outside burst back on my radar now that we can wait till late third or fourth. He would pair excellently with Josh and AJ
Shipley also appears to be 1 of only 2 "first 2 days" RBs the Packers have looked closely at on pro days. Allen is the other. There are still a lot more pro days to come (including Texas and Notre Dame), but so far all the other backs they've looked at are projected as 5th rounders or lower. So there definitely is some homework being done on him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm changing this up.

Here are the guys that I think should be considered near locks to go in the top 24:

1. C. Williams, QB, USC
2. D. Maye, QB, UNC
3. J. Daniels, QB, LSU
4. J. McCarthy, QB, UM
5. B. Bowers, TE, UGA
6. M. Harrison, WR, OSU
7. R. Odunze, WR, UW
8. M. Nabers, WR, LSU
9. J. Alt, OT, ND
10. O. Fashanu, OT, PSU
11. T. Fuaga, OT, ORST
12. J. Latham, OT, UA
13. A. Mims, OT, UGA
14. B. Murphy, DL, UT
15. D. Turner, ED, UA
16. J. Verse, ED, FSU
17. T. Arnold, CB, UA
18. Q. Mitchell, CB, TOL

So that leaves seven slots until the Packers select. Here are the next highest ranked players on the consensus big board:

1. L. Latu, ED, UCLA
2. B. Thomas, WR, LSU
3. N. Wiggins, CB, CLEM
4. T. Fautanu, OL, UW
5. C. DeJean, DB, IA
6. J. Powers-Johnson, OL, OR
7. J. Newton, DL, ILL
8. K. McKinstry, CB, UA
9. T. Guyton, OT, OK
10. C. Robinson, ED, PSU
11. A. Mitchell, WR, UT
12. G. Barton, OL, DUKE
13. D. Robinson, DL, MIZZ
14. B. Nix, QB, OR
15. X. Worthy, WR, UT

Weeding this out:

-B. Nix, QB, OR: They're not taking a QB

-X. Worthy, WR, UT: They aren't going to draft a twig

-T. Fautanu, OL, UW: He's old (24 in October) and probably an iOL; I could be surprised, but I don't think the Packers would spend a round 1 pick on an interior OL, especially when they have viable starting options.

-J. Powers-Johnson, OL, OR: iOL only.

-G. Barton, OL, DUKE: iOL only.

-J. Newton, DT, ILL: To me, Newton is too redundant to Wyatt and Brooks; if they think he could play 1T as a one gapper, that could be a different story.

-L. Latu, ED, UCLA: Old (24 in December) and very extensive injury history.

-N. Wiggins, CB, CLEM: Again, I don't think the Packers will draft a twig.

-C. DeJean, DB, IA: I don't think Dejean is a corner in Hafley's defense-- he's a nickel/safety. At safety, the more valuable position is filled. I don't think they value nickel or SS enough to spend a round one pick on it.

So what does that leave? Here there are in order of my own preference:

1. B. Thomas, WR, LSU: The offense can reach new heights when there is a legit deep threat, but Watson's health has been unreliable. WR isn't a big need, but there's room on the roster and Thomas Jr. would be a great investment.

2. C. Robinson, ED, PSU: The edge room is a little crowded at the moment, but there's snaps to give with Enagbare on the PUP; Preston may be in his last year too. Robinson brings the explosive speed to be a true high side rusher, which they don't really have.

3. A. Mitchell, WR, UT: Mitchell is a little under-developed, but his speed, COD, and size combination is pretty freaky. I think he could develop into a legit WR1 X and would give them the same depth at vertical receiver as Thomas Jr.

4. K. McKinstry, CB, UA: McKinstry has legit man corner skills, but it remains to be seen if he's the type of athlete the Packers would be likely to invest in.

5. D. Robinson, DL, MIZZ: DL again is a little crowded, but Robinson's versatility and length (86th% arms, 95th% wingspan) would add a unique dimension to the front.

6. T. Guyton, OT, OK: I'm not wild about drafting a developmental OT at #25 when they are already seeing progress with Walker, but Guyton's tools are undeniable and it's a premium position.

My prediction right now: the Packers don't a position fans aren't expecting, causing lots of angst on draft night.

I updated this with a different line of reasoning.

I'm not against the Packers drafting an iOL in the first round, but I just don't think they will.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not against the Packers drafting an iOL in the first round, but I just don't think they will.
It's impossible for me to figure out what they will do. But I do think there will be a very good football player there. Placekicker haha. That could help us from losing a couple of games.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think and see the layout of the prospects...I think it is going to end up being defensive IMO, and from there I think likely to be one of two premium positions - Edge or CB. With the equity of draft picks later I don't see Gute saying lets draft our center...or safety...or RG....

Now I could see off ball as we have a need and he has shown with Quay he will do it....but the only one arguably good enough for a Day1 atm is Wilson who is old and has more flags about him than Six Flags LOL

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more I think and see the layout of the prospects...I think it is going to end up being defensive IMO, and from there I think likely to be one of two premium positions - Edge or CB. With the equity of draft picks later I don't see Gute saying lets draft our center...or safety...or RG....

Now I could see off ball as we have a need and he has shown with Quay he will do it....but the only one arguably good enough for a Day1 atm is Wilson who is old and has more flags about him than Six Flags LOL

I think if they take a LB in round one, it will be Cooper. But I don't think they should and I wonder if the Quay selection was a unique one-off in that Gutekunst was just trying to fill immediate holes for the sake of a win-now season.

Reaction score

I agree. With WR, QB and OL gobbling up 12-14 spots. That bodes well for a Defender.
It’s likely we will focus on Defensive fits earlier. I’m going to guess 2 or 3 of #25,#41, #58 get used on Defense.

Since there’s a cluster of good DL middle draft? Id wait on that.

I really like the early-mid Day2 options at Safety, LB, CB. I wash we had 1 more top 64. That would solve lots

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Anything that ramps up the angst on draft night is great by me. Fans don't know squat and the loudmouths know the least of squat. I do highly value their entertainment quality though. Where else can you find free entertainment this good???

Edit: the Bears and Cowboys fan forums in full meltdown mode is probably superior.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. With WR, QB and OL gobbling up 12-14 spots. That bodes well for a Defender.
It’s likely we will focus on Defensive fits earlier. I’m going to guess 2 or 3 of #25,#41, #58 get used on Defense.

Since there’s a cluster of good DL middle draft? Id wait on that.

I really like the early-mid Day2 options at Safety, LB, CB. I wash we had 1 more top 64. That would solve lots
Bet you could get that extra top 64 pick if you offered up 88 & 91. Wanna do that?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if they take a LB in round one, it will be Cooper. But I don't think they should and I wonder if the Quay selection was a unique one-off in that Gutekunst was just trying to fill immediate holes for the sake of a win-now season.

I agree Cooper is the only Packer type if they go one - Wilson I doubt would enter Gute's mind till third given all his red flags and age. Dude is special and he could be an all pro but it also could be just a three year career.

Reaction score

I agree. With WR, QB and OL likely gobbling up more than a dozen spots before our selection we will very likely see a Top 10 selection outside of those positions.
That spells a Defender to use as a chess piece for our 1st year DC

Reaction score
Bet you could get that extra top 64 pick if you offered up 88 & 91. Wanna do that?
I was thinking more trading back without losing stabs such as e.g,
25/168
For
33/65

or
25/91/126
Ravens
30/62/113

These are just examples +- but we’ve been pretty good at moving around the board in a variety of moves

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree Cooper is the only Packer type if they go one - Wilson I doubt would enter Gute's mind till third given all his red flags and age. Dude is special and he could be an all pro but it also could be just a three year career.

I also think that they want Walker to be a WILL, not a MIKE. I'm not sure he has the instincts and football IQ to be the MIKE. He's better in a "see ball, get ball" role where he can just cut loose and use his natural gifts to swallow ball carriers.

My guess, given that they haven't signed a LB, is that they're OK with McDuffie in the MIKE role. He's a pretty good athlete, did a decent job in his opportunities last year, and played under Hafley at BC.

But he's also entering a contract year, so that's also where I think they are more likely to draft-- a MIKE not a WILL.

That would lead me to guys like Junior Colson, Nathaniel Watson, Edefuan Ulofoshio, Curtis Jacobs, Marist Liufau, Tommy Eichenberg...

Colson would seem to be the best of that bunch by a big margin.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

In your scenario, I see a trade back, maybe even to early second round.

Members online

Latest posts