OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You want to chance our entire running game on someone picked up off a practice squad? Cmon..

That chances of finding another Ryan Grant off of a practice squad are less than one percent.

Yup. Just ask Arian Foster.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they were changing their minds, I think they were just covering the fact that no one wanted to pay their price. It was clear they were gonna have to cave some time, I just never thought it'd be this soon. Honestly, I thought there would be at least one team that would offer up a 3rd, and if not, we'd be able to snatch him up for a deal like this around the trade deadline.

Oh well, regardless, it's over with Lynch. Time to start looking elsewhere or seriously start investing in Starks and Nance. Nance better be reading those playbooks 12 hours/day.

Maybe it was just me, but they seemed to be pulling the we're trading him/ we're keeping him game,s o I thought something was up. I thought they were asking too much for him too, at least with the Pack. I think Seattle got the short end of the stick on this trade.

But back to the Pack, in terms of looking elsewhere, who else is in the market? With the trade deadline looming maybe somebody will get desperate and we'll score a good one. But, I have to wonder if T.T. has not written the whole idea off, (pure speculation on my part). I would like to see them develop Starks and Nance, whether we get a RB or not. I think we have potential there.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch practically is a draft pick at his age. A draft pick with Pro-Bowl credentials and proven NFL success. You're not likely getting a better player at #4 than Lynch.

And with the possibility that the NFL goes into a lockout, the lower round draft choices of 2011 will be competing with the 2012 draft choices for roster spots when NFL resumes in 2012. That makes it even less likely they'd even make the roster (unless they expand the roster past 53).

If Lynch is going that cheap though, and if Slaton is in the market, he'd probably go even cheaper (like a 5 or 6). At that point, I'd almost just risk seeing what nance and starks give ya cause I don't really care for him.

But if TT doesn't make a move and it costs us a Super Bowl run this season, I'd write him off as the Andy Reid of GMs: Very good GM who can get you into the postseason, but too stubborn to ever manage the team into the championship.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to fuel the fire, the 2nd pick Buffalo got from seattle is a 6th rd pick in '12 that could go up to a 5th based on lynch productivity.

Read that via twitter on adam shefter.

You are correct sir. I think Thompson was playing hardball and was holding firm on a 4th while Buffalo was trying to squeeze a 3rd out of him. Seatle came to the table with a 4th next year and conditional 6th which could go up to a 5th in 2012. Buffalo perceived that Seatle 4th would be more attractive than Green Bay's 4th. Thompson could've gotten it done for a 3rd. but Buffalo was sick and tired of waiting on Thompson. Former Packer assistant GM John Schneider swooped in and closed the deal. Once again Thompson gets caught with his pants down. Same thing happened when he thought he had done deals for Randy Moss and Tony Gonzales. Thompson asleep at the wheel again.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody else agree? He doesn't have great speed and he doesn't break of huge 50 yard runs, but he consistently gets 5-6 yards per carry. And that final drive kind of proved it.

Agree? Disagree?

^^^This

The Lions *knew* we were going to run, yet we did it anyway. And I dunno how many times this season Kuhn has carried the whole ****ing defensive line with him for a good 3-4 yards down the field. I'd love him to get more carries and see what he can do.

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, we don't know if the packers were offered a fourth rounder. It's very likely the Bills would have wanted more from the packers as they have an obvious need there. Also, maybe Green Bay wasn't given a counter offer. That said a fourth didn't seem like much. I haven't seen Lynch's contract but I can't imagine there is much time left on it. I would also bet he is due for more cash than most teams would want to pay a player of his caliber. All that considered, he may very well be not worth a 4th rounder and a conditional pick. Again, maybe they wanted more from GB.

I'm not counting out Nance or Starks yet. Remember, neither need to carry Grant's load. We could see some sort of three-RB combo. They could be bringing Grant in slow like 2007. And maybe James Starks is the steal of the draft.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW. Could have had Lynch for a 4th plus conditional late round pick. Instead we're sticking with the Jackson-Kuhn combo with the unheralded Dmetri Nance playing special teams.

Frustrating

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not counting out Nance or Starks yet. Remember, neither need to carry Grant's load. We could see some sort of three-RB combo. They could be bringing Grant in slow like 2007. And maybe James Starks is the steal of the draft.

You do realize Starks did not play his entire Senior season or the preseason?

I don't really like banking on a running back who hasn't seen live contact in over a year.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
without going back and looking at every single post (sorry) , everyone was freaking out because we didn't get Lynch.......but has anyone heard anything else about the Panthers DeAngelo Williams??? Updates on that?

Cali Packer 14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also like to hear more updates regarding the potential DeAngelo Williams scenario . . .

Hearing reactions to Marshawn to Seattle are entertaining and all, but that's a done deal.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also like to hear more updates regarding the potential DeAngelo Williams scenario . . .

Hearing reactions to Marshawn to Seattle are entertaining and all, but that's a done deal.

My guess is that after Rodgers frustation with the play calling and the receivers complaining about not getting enough touches, the Packers would be reluctant on trying to upgrade the running back position. If you get a good running back then he needs at least 20 carries and that means even less opportunities to an already frustrated receiving core.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct sir. I think Thompson was playing hardball and was holding firm on a 4th while Buffalo was trying to squeeze a 3rd out of him. Seatle came to the table with a 4th next year and conditional 6th which could go up to a 5th in 2012. Buffalo perceived that Seatle 4th would be more attractive than Green Bay's 4th. Thompson could've gotten it done for a 3rd. but Buffalo was sick and tired of waiting on Thompson. Former Packer assistant GM John Schneider swooped in and closed the deal. Once again Thompson gets caught with his pants down. Same thing happened when he thought he had done deals for Randy Moss and Tony Gonzales. Thompson asleep at the wheel again.

It's becoming increasingly obvious you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

It was reported that Ted went after Moss not once, but twice. He went after him hard, but Moss only wanted to be a one year rental and Thompson wanted at least a two year commitment.

A deal was done in principle for Gonzales, but KC decided to up their price at the last minute. Literally they yanked the deal off the table and upped the price as the agreement was being faxed over. I don't blame Thompson for telling them to stick it. Besides, that Finley guy sure is pretty good!

Anyway, without knowing what Buffalo's asking price to us is, it's not fair to judge Thompson for not making this trade. An educated guess tells us we would have had to shell out a 3rd rounder next year since our 4th round pick is likely to be lower than Seattle's. In that context, it's also likely our conditional pick would have been higher as well. But until we know all the facts (And I doubt we will for some time), it's not really fair to pass judgement.

Besides, I think it's nonsense that Ted isn't willing to trade draft picks for players. He did it in last year's draft when he traded back into the first round to pick up Clay Matthews. I dunno about you, but I think that worked out pretty well. And as has been pointed out, he was willing to trade for then malcontent Randy Moss and was also willing to trade for Tony Gonzales, so he *is* willing to make moves to improve our team. One thing he's not willing to do though is over pay players.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RE: DeAngelo Williams- I doubt this trade happens for a couple reasons:

1) He's going to be a restricted free agent next year, which means we'd have to give him a new contract now or else keep him for what would amount to an 11 game rental.

2) While we could offer him a new contract now, we still have players we need to re-sign this year like Cullen Jenkins and Tramon Williams, who are both due to be a free agents next season. Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley are due to be a free agents in 2012, though I imagine Finley see a new deal as soon as this off-season. He's pretty well under paid.

3) Any trade is likely to require a hefty payment in draft picks. While I doubt they ask for a premium, Carolina wouldn't be out of line asking for a first and a third round pick, since that's usually what RFA's carry as trade compensation and we'd be considered a team in need. More than likely they's ask for a 2nd and 4th or even a 3rd and 5th, all of which would feel kind of expensive.

So to summarize- To get DeAngelo Williams we'd likely have to give up multiple draft picks AND give him a new deal while also having to sign a couple more key players both THIS year and next. And we'd have to clear yet another roster spot, which is tough considering the loss of Burnett and the possible loss of Chillar for the year destroys our depth.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RE: DeAngelo Williams- I doubt this trade happens for a couple reasons:

1) He's going to be a restricted free agent next year, which means we'd have to give him a new contract now or else keep him for what would amount to an 11 game rental.

2) While we could offer him a new contract now, we still have players we need to re-sign this year like Cullen Jenkins and Tramon Williams, who are both due to be a free agents next season. Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley are due to be a free agents in 2012, though I imagine Finley see a new deal as soon as this off-season. He's pretty well under paid.

3) Any trade is likely to require a hefty payment in draft picks. While I doubt they ask for a premium, Carolina wouldn't be out of line asking for a first and a third round pick, since that's usually what RFA's carry as trade compensation and we'd be considered a team in need. More than likely they's ask for a 2nd and 4th or even a 3rd and 5th, all of which would feel kind of expensive.

So to summarize- To get DeAngelo Williams we'd likely have to give up multiple draft picks AND give him a new deal while also having to sign a couple more key players both THIS year and next. And we'd have to clear yet another roster spot, which is tough considering the loss of Burnett and the possible loss of Chillar for the year destroys our depth.

I thought the trade was going to be something like a second rounder next year and James Jones. I don't have any problem with that at all.

As far as Ryan Grant is concerned, DeAngelo Williams is just as good (my opinion) and we can sign Williams and let Grant go.

A couple other things to keep in mind when it comes to paying all these guys. More than likely, three people on our team won't be there next year who are taking up some $$$$. Clifton, Tauscher, and Hawk.

You made some pretty good points but we will see if TT is going to do anything within the next 2 weeks or so.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's becoming increasingly obvious you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

It was reported that Ted went after Moss not once, but twice. He went after him hard, but Moss only wanted to be a one year rental and Thompson wanted at least a two year commitment.

A deal was done in principle for Gonzales, but KC decided to up their price at the last minute. Literally they yanked the deal off the table and upped the price as the agreement was being faxed over. I don't blame Thompson for telling them to stick it. Besides, that Finley guy sure is pretty good!

Anyway, without knowing what Buffalo's asking price to us is, it's not fair to judge Thompson for not making this trade. An educated guess tells us we would have had to shell out a 3rd rounder next year since our 4th round pick is likely to be lower than Seattle's. In that context, it's also likely our conditional pick would have been higher as well. But until we know all the facts (And I doubt we will for some time), it's not really fair to pass judgement.

Besides, I think it's nonsense that Ted isn't willing to trade draft picks for players. He did it in last year's draft when he traded back into the first round to pick up Clay Matthews. I dunno about you, but I think that worked out pretty well. And as has been pointed out, he was willing to trade for then malcontent Randy Moss and was also willing to trade for Tony Gonzales, so he *is* willing to make moves to improve our team. One thing he's not willing to do though is over pay players.

Since I don't know what the HELL I'm talking about I'll stop posting any information I receive now and in the future. I'm getting tired of posting and then being called a lier. There are a lot of people who value what I have to say. It's a shame that they won't be able to read any more of my posts. I'm just getting too frustrated having to constantly defend myself. I'm outta here.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the trade was going to be something like a second rounder next year and James Jones. I don't have any problem with that at all.

As far as Ryan Grant is concerned, DeAngelo Williams is just as good (my opinion) and we can sign Williams and let Grant go.

A couple other things to keep in mind when it comes to paying all these guys. More than likely, three people on our team won't be there next year who are taking up some $$$$. Clifton, Tauscher, and Hawk.

You made some pretty good points but we will see if TT is going to do anything within the next 2 weeks or so.

I think these are all valid points as it relates to a DeAngelo Williams trade. Trade compensation could very well be a player and a second round pick. I was suggesting Carolina wouldn't be out of line by asking for a 1st and a third, since that's what they'll be asking for once free agency opens up next season. Any variation of anything listed above would certainly be on the table as well.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you had such vital information that people really wanted to hear then why not just start your own blog and bank on it instead of posting it on random message boards?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I don't know what the HELL I'm talking about I'll stop posting any information I receive now and in the future. I'm getting tired of posting and then being called a lier. There are a lot of people who value what I have to say. It's a shame that they won't be able to read any more of my posts. I'm just getting too frustrated having to constantly defend myself. I'm outta here.

Jesus, not this crap again. I didn't call you a liar, I said you didn't know what you were talking about as it related to Ted Thompson attempting to trade for Randy Moss and Tony Gonzales.

Eh well, see ya.

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well
i'm only bringing this up because
brett favre is going to haunt us forever.....!!!!!
if randy moss goes to the vikings - and ted thompson does nothing, he will lose packer nation and possibly his own team !

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I'M HEARING ON ESPN RADIO.......HOLY ****

LIKE I SAID WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD 2 WEEKS AGO...

TED THOMPSON - WE NEED A RUNNING BACK NOW!@!!!!

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score

:bye:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you going to start another thread about how your leaving only to come back but then threaten to leave again?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well
i'm only bringing this up because
brett favre is going to haunt us forever.....!!!!!
if randy moss goes to the vikings - and ted thompson does nothing, he will lose packer nation and possibly his own team !

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I'M HEARING ON ESPN RADIO.......HOLY ****

LIKE I SAID WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD 2 WEEKS AGO...

TED THOMPSON - WE NEED A RUNNING BACK NOW!@!!!!

We need an O line is what we need, the running game is a very distant 2nd.