Making the Playoffs 2019

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not wife, teenage daughter. I don't want her seeing it as a valid lifestyle choice or as a shortcut to fame and riches. The micro shorts and barely there tops she owns are bad enough.

I do not at all envy anyone who has the role of parents these days.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
My ideal offseason looks like this:

Coaching/Training Staff
1. Fire Ron Zook
2. Keep Pettine
3. Hire an offensive-minded HC
4. Bring in a newer age sports medicine team

Free Agency
1. Re-sign Jake Kumerow, Kentrell Brice, Reggie Gilbert, Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, and Eddie Pleasant to smaller contracts (ie. Vet minimum-1.8 million). Total should eat up ~5.5 million of next years projected 37.5 million, bringing it to ~32 million
2. Resign Breeland on a 3 year 18 million contract that eats up ~5 million of next year projected cap (~27 million)
3. Resign Geronimo Allison to a 3 year 15 million contract that eats up ~5 million of next years projected cap (~23 million)
4. Resign CM3 to a 2 year 8 million contract that eats up 4 million of next years projected cap (~19 million)
5. Cut Tramon Williams to free up 5.2 million (~24.5 million)
6. TRY to trade Jimmy Graham. Cannot cut him with a dead cap hit of 7.3 million dollars next year to free up 5 million. Unlikely that anyone will bite...with the exception of the Saints perhaps? Do not know what they will give us for him, but they did try to go after him last year. They are also losing their “#1 TE” Ben Watson to retirement. If this happens (which I would not count on) we free up 12 million. Going to keep this out of the equation for now.
7. Nick Perry. This is another tough call. Next year if released, he is still 11 million against the cap, only freeing up 3 million. Try and restructure? No one will want him. Do not know what to do about this guy.
8. Sign Adam Humphrey’s if TB does not to a 3 year 15 million dollar deal. (~19 million)
9. Have ~10 million to look for veteran help at safety, ILB, edge, DE, G, T during the “last minute cuts” timeframe.

—Would love to work Javeon Clowny into the mix, I just do not realistically think the Packers will be his first choice.

Draft
First Round (2 picks): Take Montez Sweat, Clenin Ferrell, Zach Allen or Jachai Polite. If any of those edge rushers or another that is of comparison are available in the second pick, take them. Worth it to utilize two firsts on edges for this team.
Second Round: Safety. I like Chauncey Gardner Johnson, but this might be too early to take him. Take the best available safety.
Third Round: Guard. Take the best available guard. I like Michael Jordan.
Fourth Round (2 picks): Best available TE and ILB
Fifth Round: Best T
Sixth round (2 picks): Best available RB, S
Seventh round: Best available K

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My ideal offseason looks like this:

Free Agency
1. Re-sign Jake Kumerow, Kentrell Brice, Reggie Gilbert, Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, and Eddie Pleasant to smaller contracts (ie. Vet minimum-1.8 million). Total should eat up ~5.5 million of next years projected 37.5 million, bringing it to ~32 million
2. Resign Breeland on a 3 year 18 million contract that eats up ~5 million of next year projected cap (~27 million)
3. Resign Geronimo Allison to a 3 year 15 million contract that eats up ~5 million of next years projected cap (~23 million)
4. Resign CM3 to a 2 year 8 million contract that eats up 4 million of next years projected cap (~19 million)
5. Cut Tramon Williams to free up 5.2 million (~24.5 million)
6. TRY to trade Jimmy Graham. Cannot cut him with a dead cap hit of 7.3 million dollars next year to free up 5 million. Unlikely that anyone will bite...with the exception of the Saints perhaps? Do not know what they will give us for him, but they did try to go after him last year. They are also losing their “#1 TE” Ben Watson to retirement. If this happens (which I would not count on) we free up 12 million. Going to keep this out of the equation for now.
7. Nick Perry. This is another tough call. Next year if released, he is still 11 million against the cap, only freeing up 3 million. Try and restructure? No one will want him. Do not know what to do about this guy.
8. Sign Adam Humphrey’s if TB does not to a 3 year 15 million dollar deal. (~19 million)
9. Have ~10 million to look for veteran help at safety, ILB, edge, DE, G, T during the “last minute cuts” timeframe.

—Would love to work Javeon Clowny into the mix, I just do not realistically think the Packers will be his first choice.

1) Brice, Patrick and McCray may cost more than you think.
2) Breeland is going ... know what? screw it. This ain't a resign players +/or free agency thread.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kumerow, Patrick, McCray and Gilbert are exclusive rights free agents, meaning the Packers can offer them a one-year contract for a maximum of $645,000 with them not being allowed to negotiate with another team. Brice can be re-signed for a reasonable deal being a restricted free agent as well.

Resign Geronimo Allison to a 3 year 15 million contract that eats up ~5 million of next years projected cap (~23 million)

Once again, Allison is a restricted free agent who can be tendered for approximately $2 million for next season.

TRY to trade Jimmy Graham. Cannot cut him with a dead cap hit of 7.3 million dollars next year to free up 5 million. Unlikely that anyone will bite...with the exception of the Saints perhaps? Do not know what they will give us for him, but they did try to go after him last year. They are also losing their “#1 TE” Ben Watson to retirement. If this happens (which I would not count on) we free up 12 million. Going to keep this out of the equation for now.

The Packers trading Graham would still result in the team taking a dead money cap hit of $7.3 million while saving $ 5.3 million in cap space for next season. That is if they trade him before March 17 with him being due to receive a $5 million roster bonus at that point.

Reaction score
65% chance. Let me follow up by saying I believe the 2020 season could be our “Elvis 68 comeback Tour”.

I feel like we will make a positive gain in 2019 (10-6)
but also we won’t be considered dominant until 2020-2021. It’ll come soon enough.

I think we’ll net 3-4 more upgrades in overall talent compared to 2018. We need a dynamic Safety and an upgrade at ILB on Defense (to be paired with Martinez) and a superior Edge rusher and this Defense would improve markedly.
Burks May turn out to be similar to an early version of Fackrell where he needs time to develop. He’s solid on ST in the meantime.

We have the draft resources to fill some weak spots with young talent. But I think it’ll take 2020 for them to excel. We also have a better footing in the FA market due to increased Cap and also some bigger expiring contracts. We can now afford to resign a few incumbents plus gain 2-3 stellar Free Agents who are formidable and will improve several position groups. None of this Lance Kendricks stuff, it’s time to double down on a couple superior veteran players.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like we will make a positive gain in 2019 (10-6)
but also we won’t be considered dominant until 2020-2021. It’ll come soon enough.
This sounds realistic to me. But just because we get our hat back in the ring next year doesn't mean Gute can take his foot off the gas and coast. He has to keep urgently trying to improve the team and plug holes. Ted's last years seemed to be awfully complacent.