Game 5 - Las Vegas - Studs and Duds

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed. My hopes were higher. Maybe it's time for LaFleur to let Stenovich call at least some of the plays...if not all of them. Very stale play calling.
Play calling looks a lot better with better blocking and Aaron Jones on the field.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'll refer you to Rodgers last throw at Lambeau. It wasn't worse than that.
Come on with bringing up Rodgers. This is about Love. Rodgers is the past man. I'm talking about Love's performance and moving forward on the season. This guy is a bust.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on with bringing up Rodgers. This is about Love. Rodgers is the past man. I'm talking about Love's performance and moving forward on the season. This guy is a bust.
You're the one saying that his interception is the worst by a Packer QB since... whenever. It is ABSOLUTELY fair game to point out throws Rodgers made that were just bad.

And 5 games is not anywhere near enough to assess a QB.

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score
You're the one saying that his interception is the worst by a Packer QB since... whenever. It is ABSOLUTELY fair game to point out throws Rodgers made that were just bad.

And 5 games is not anywhere near enough to assess a QB. You talk like a 15 year old.
Right, comparing Rodgers to Love after I'm bringing up specifics is not like a 15 year old. But, but, but... Rodgers is not a sound argument for Love's play. I've not brought up any personal attacks about your posts beyond you're deflecting Love's performance with comparisons to Rodgers.

Love threw directly to the linebacker. He stared his WR down the whole time and was going to throw to him no matter what. It didn't matter the guy was in triple coverage. I stand by the fact that it was one of the worst interceptions I've seen.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling looks a lot better with better blocking and Aaron Jones on the field.

And unfortunately, he's our only real offensive weapon. Doubs and Reed are excellent, but are not good enough on their own to tilt the field. Watson could be a weapon, but Love doesn't yet seem to be able to leverage what he does well.

It's still 2022. Defenses aren't stressed by our players and are not adequately punished for doing what they want.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, comparing Rodgers to Love after I'm bringing up specifics is not like a 15 year old. But, but, but... Rodgers is not a sound argument for Love's play. I've not brought up any personal attacks about your posts beyond you're deflecting Love's performance with comparisons to Rodgers.

You were comparing him to Rodgers first by implying that his interception was worse than anything Rodgers has ever thrown. What other conclusion can be drawn from the phrase "worst I've ever seen?" That is, unless you've seen very few of Rodgers' games the last few years.

Love threw directly to the linebacker. He stared his WR down the whole time and was going to throw to him no matter what. It didn't matter the guy was in triple coverage. I stand by the fact that it was one of the worst interceptions I've seen.

And I stand by the fact that I've seen worse, even just last year. He really liked throwing directly to Kerby for some reason last year.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:

The Packers organization. This is not a fun team to watch. The offense is abysmal. The defense ranges between okay and terrible. Everybody from the top down is responsible.
I think this season is a write-off. It is the year to find out what they have in Love (sneak preview: not very much) and how the team functions without Aaron Rodgers (sneak preview: not very well.) I think the GM, the HC and both coordinators should leave at the end of the season. Somebody else needs to be making the draft decisions next spring. It would not bother me to see a dozen or fewer of the present roster returning next year.

Yes, we were spoiled in the Favre/Rodgers years. We nearly always had the best QB in the division and that wins you a lot of games. Now we have the worst QB in the division. Maybe he'll get better, but I see no reason to expect it.

Bottom line: a total rebuild is required.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
duds :
Lafleur for no creativity on offense. They do not have an identity.
Musgrave goes down on first contact
Watson is not a number 1 wr idc what anyone says. he didn’t even make an attempt to go after the ball at the end. Love has no awareness and makes terrible throws.
Barry and his defensive scheme is horrendous lol Preston smith on Adams? We all saw it. Here’s the thing there is some good things with this team some good young talent around Love has been serviceable and could turn into a solid QB but nothing he has done has proved that so far his completion percentage is like 50%.. hopefully he can fix that. As of now Green Bay is not good. They beat the bears and got lucky against the saints. 6 measly points in the first half of the last 3 games…. Let that sink in. I have been saying it for years that Lafleur is not a
Good coach and had been bailed out by Rodgers. He has no creativity and can not make an adjustment to save his life. He also employs the worst DC in the league.. and allows things to happen. This is a young team that will have high highs and low lows is Love the answer? That is definitely to be determined
The offense is way too young to be creative. You start throwing in curve balls and you see mistakes and penalties multiply. Right now they need to simply execute the fundamentals of basic plays with a few options. Young players do not have the instinct or the mindset to absorb so many plays so fast and then execute them. When Lombardi came to Green Bay he threw out 90% of the playbook. He simplified. They practiced. They executed. And they began to win. MLF should have been able to devise a somewhat successful plan around Mad Maxx. 2 years ago he devised one that handled Bosa and we out up 30 points. But Crosby was not the only one to pressure Love. And MLF had 11 days to prepare.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not call him a bust. Favre gunslinged in his first year starting. Many said he would be a bust. We managed 9 wins because he did not have to do it all himself. And the coaches coached. Holmgren reined him under control and implemented a game plan within his capabilities. And remember that the starting QB of the previous 4 seasons had gone down with a major injury. MLF has to do a better job.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PI is PI. It doesn't matter when it happens. You don't get to shove receivers out of the play just because it's the end of the game.
If you want pass interference called, you have to challenge for the ball as a receiver, not let the defender ease you off the play. On these two picks, the first was more on the pass, but the second one should never have happened. If Watson had challenged for the ball, he would have had the TD, or defensive pass interference would have been called, in the end zone. He has to be more physical.

Krabs

Reaction score
You were comparing him to Rodgers first by implying that his interception was worse than anything Rodgers has ever thrown. What other conclusion can be drawn from the phrase "worst I've ever seen?" That is, unless you've seen very few of Rodgers' games the last few years.
The last few years? Rodgers was back to back MVP and then had a down year last year. As you mentioned, the throw to Hutchinson during the Lions game was bad. That was a designed goal line play. Again, he dropped back and never took his eyes off the receiver and forced it into triple coverage. I'm surprised you're defending that throw.
And I stand by the fact that I've seen worse, even just last year. He really liked throwing directly to Kerby for some reason last year.
Fair enough.

Krabs

Reaction score
I would not call him a bust. Favre gunslinged in his first year starting. Many said he would be a bust. We managed 9 wins because he did not have to do it all himself. And the coaches coached. Holmgren reined him under control and implemented a game plan within his capabilities. And remember that the starting QB of the previous 4 seasons had gone down with a major injury. MLF has to do a better job.
Don't disagree. What I would say is that one could see Favre's abilities. Love seems completely lost.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can look at my post history, I didn't like the Love pick. I mention this so you don't think I'm homer-ing him....

It's too early to judge him on the whole. The pick into triple coverage was bad, but that was, to my recollection, the only bone-head decision he's made. He'll have stinkers here there. We just want them to fewer and farther apart.

He needs to work on his footwork fundamentals. Tom Clements should help here. He needs to improve his accuracy. There are completions he's made that were harder than they needed to be. The sprint-right screen-left to Dillon is a perfect example of this. Improving his fundamentals will help here, I just hope its enough.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's still overly simplistic. Preston is going to have to play coverage sometimes and he's honestly pretty good at it. But he should be taking backs in the flat. Ending up on a WR is the unfortunate outcome of playcall + personnel + alignment + motion. This kind of thing will happen with every front 7 coverage man sometimes.

Hell, Raji did it in for us to make the Super Bowl.
I don't think so. If he isn't going to be rushing the passer; he doesn't need to be in there. Especially when it is probably a pass.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well of course. And so we just call plays as if AJ is playing and we are blocking well? But it isn't just that. All of the runs up the middle when the tide has turned and those plays aren't going anywhere. I wish he would give Stenovich a chance and then he could watch the game better and tweak things as needed. Be a head coach. Even take over for a few plays when he thinks he has something. imho

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so. If he isn't going to be rushing the passer; he doesn't need to be in there. Especially when it is probably a pass.

So you would rather telegraph to the defense our playcall based on personnel? You'd rather not have one of our better run defender edges in case they run a draw?

Who do you propose we sub in?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you would rather telegraph to the defense our playcall based on personnel? You'd rather not have one of our better run defender edges in case they run a draw?

Who do you propose we sub in?
A quick linebacker or a safety. The time for ******** around trying to confuse the offense is not when they are so close to scoring. imho.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A quick linebacker or a safety. The time for ******** around trying to confuse the offense is not when they are so close to scoring. imho.

It doesn't have to be confusing to the defense. If you change personnel, it's an alarm to the offense. The offensive assistant in the booth is going to see that and pass it on to the play caller.

And then we have the problem that this was one play. And now we have one less edge defender. If you swap an edge for an off-the-ball linebacker, you're inviting run. If you do that with a safety, you're demanding they run.

I understand not preferring someone in coverage, but any playcall other than "rush the front 4, drop 7" has a risk. And we're not good enough (honestly, is any team?) good enough to play that vanilla 100% of the time.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be confusing to the defense. If you change personnel, it's an alarm to the offense. The offensive assistant in the booth is going to see that and pass it on to the play caller.

And then we have the problem that this was one play. And now we have one less edge defender. If you swap an edge for an off-the-ball linebacker, you're inviting run. If you do that with a safety, you're demanding they run.

I understand not preferring someone in coverage, but any playcall other than "rush the front 4, drop 7" has a risk. And we're not good enough (honestly, is any team?) good enough to play that vanilla 100% of the time.
Hell, you are making your explanation convoluted. It is not that hard. In that situation, you don't put Preston out there if he might actually be covering someone.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't disagree. What I would say is that one could see Favre's abilities. Love seems completely lost.
Rodgers sees his abilities. Maybe you'll put some credence into what a guy who has been there has to say. See his comments on Pat McAffee's show today regarding Love.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love has no awareness and makes terrible throws.
And throws interceptions. This is the Love I thought we were getting and now it has come to fruition. I hope there, for a game or 2. Right now, Love is garbage. The packers are garbage. Get ready for a terrible season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want pass interference called, you have to challenge for the ball as a receiver, not let the defender ease you off the play. On these two picks, the first was more on the pass, but the second one should never have happened. If Watson had challenged for the ball, he would have had the TD, or defensive pass interference would have been called, in the end zone. He has to be more physical.

Exactly. I can see many a receiver going up for the ball even if they cannot make the catch. And even a PI would have still given us at least one more shot.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I’m not buying into the young team thing anymore, you could use that same analysis by saying we’re and old team also , the problem is poor execution, yes coaching is a big part of this, young or old when you preform poorly at your position(s) you will get a losing result every time..

Members online

Latest posts