First Quarless , now Rodgers.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im extremely happy with the way Quarless has stepped up this season. With the huge hole left by Finley, we were seeming weak at a position that is growing more and more popular in todays NFL. I am the eternal optimist when it comes to my packers. I cant remember a season I didnt predict 13-3:) But I was serious when I predicted Quarless to continue his comeback to becoming the TE we drafted him to be.
Quarless was a beast coming out of college. Could catch too. Like Finley, had something that dropped him to mid-rounder. And we stole him. The knee was gross. But he seen it through. Now, he not only looks capable out there. It seems to me he is only more looks away from being a legit top 10 TE... And he is still getting better. So we will see... Greenbay might have him pegged as a life long #2 TE? Which would be an amazing job for a 5th rounder that destroyed his knee his rookie year...

Richard Rodgers is the new GB prtoto-type TE. Big, strong, thick, and able to block like a OT. When you are going for a balanced offense, where you can run or pass. The next step is being able to run or pass out of any formation. Which means you need big WRs and TEs that block. And you need TEs and RBs that can catch... At that point a 2 TE set could be 4 recievers down field, with a RB dump off... Or basicly 7 down linemen with Lacy in the back field.

I first noticed this when we had Jackson/ Chamura... Superbowl dominant. the best defense that won superbowls. Ravens in particular, had bad offenses at first glance but always seemed to have 2 good TEs that did it all. And their offenses seemed to do well in the smash mouth playoff stage. When Brady had Gronk and murderboy, they went with athletic TEs and used them as main targets... That worked too.

Its hard to justify not having Davante Adams on the field. He needs his reps, and he is a special physical tallent. But to have 2 good+ TEs to choose from is a huge benefit. I would love to see us show power against seattle. with two TEs and Nelson/Cobb and Lacy/Starks. Then stab them with Starks deep, and Lacy with 10 catches. Then pound the run like nobody has had the sack to do against them in a while. If they want to drop 6 or 7 every down to stop Rodgers, They will be blown up just like the Lions were...

As soon as they bring a guy up, Rodgers should hit them right where they were!!! make a point that we will hit them where ever they are not...

D

Deleted member 6794

Im extremely happy with the way Quarless has stepped up this season. With the huge hole left by Finley, we were seeming weak at a position that is growing more and more popular in todays NFL. I am the eternal optimist when it comes to my packers. I cant remember a season I didnt predict 13-3:) But I was serious when I predicted Quarless to continue his comeback to becoming the TE we drafted him to be.
Quarless was a beast coming out of college. Could catch too. Like Finley, had something that dropped him to mid-rounder. And we stole him. The knee was gross. But he seen it through. Now, he not only looks capable out there. It seems to me he is only more looks away from being a legit top 10 TE... And he is still getting better. So we will see... Greenbay might have him pegged as a life long #2 TE? Which would be an amazing job for a 5th rounder that destroyed his knee his rookie year...

Richard Rodgers is the new GB prtoto-type TE. Big, strong, thick, and able to block like a OT. When you are going for a balanced offense, where you can run or pass. The next step is being able to run or pass out of any formation. Which means you need big WRs and TEs that block. And you need TEs and RBs that can catch... At that point a 2 TE set could be 4 recievers down field, with a RB dump off... Or basicly 7 down linemen with Lacy in the back field.

I first noticed this when we had Jackson/ Chamura... Superbowl dominant. the best defense that won superbowls. Ravens in particular, had bad offenses at first glance but always seemed to have 2 good TEs that did it all. And their offenses seemed to do well in the smash mouth playoff stage. When Brady had Gronk and murderboy, they went with athletic TEs and used them as main targets... That worked too.

Its hard to justify not having Davante Adams on the field. He needs his reps, and he is a special physical tallent. But to have 2 good+ TEs to choose from is a huge benefit. I would love to see us show power against seattle. with two TEs and Nelson/Cobb and Lacy/Starks. Then stab them with Starks deep, and Lacy with 10 catches. Then pound the run like nobody has had the sack to do against them in a while. If they want to drop 6 or 7 every down to stop Rodgers, They will be blown up just like the Lions were...

As soon as they bring a guy up, Rodgers should hit them right where they were!!! make a point that we will hit them where ever they are not...

Rodgers had a nice game vs. the Lions but overall the production out of the TEs has been minimal this season. If we have to play Seattle during the playoffs it would be important to get some receptions from one of the guys.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like Quarless and Rodgers but neither is the stretch-the-field, down the seam vs. cover two type TE that Finley was. And that’s important because playing cover two well is one of the best ways to beat the Packers offense. Bostick was supposed to be at least a decent imitation of that type of TE, but surprisingly (to me at least) he’s fallen far out of favor with the coaching staff.

Quarless is more athletic and better in the passing game than Rodgers and both have improved their blocking this season. I love Rodgers' attitude and I think he'll continue to work hard at getting better blocking. Coming out of college one of his best attributes was his ability to catch the ball and that fits into the possession type of TE he’s likely to be. He seems like the type of person that will get the most out of his talent because he's humble and works hard. But the Packers could really use a TE who has the speed to “threaten the seam” who also is an adequate blocker. But those guys are rare athletes, even in the NFL.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its hard to really gauge their play, because they are perpetually 4th or 5th option. Its hard enough getting Lacy his touches.... But from what I've seen. Both are becoming very good. Richard Rodgers is a brute. Reminded me very much of Chamura. I actually was thinking Quarless was going to have a big game. Rodgers was the one to get most the looks.

Throug 16 games, I feel good about the two...

H

HardRightEdge

But the Packers could really use a TE who has the speed to “threaten the seam” who also is an adequate blocker. But those guys are rare athletes, even in the NFL.
Right, and there's a cost attached to that. Once Cobb is signed, there will be a lot of money allocated to the receiver position. Using a high pick sounds nice, but that would be at the expense of shoring up ILB, D-Line, and maybe even cover corner depending on how the free agents are handled.

H

HardRightEdge

We got the following production out the TE position this season:

51 catches, 80 targets, 63.8%, 551 yds., 10.8 yds./catch, 6 TDs.

It could be better, particularly the completion percentage, but as the 4th. or 5th. option this team can win with those kinds of numbers. If Lacy were not such a good receiver I might weight the matter a bit differently.

D

Deleted member 6794

We got the following production out the TE position this season:

51 catches, 80 targets, 63.8%, 551 yds., 10.8 yds./catch, 6 TDs.

It could be better, particularly the completion percentage, but as the 4th. or 5th. option this team can win with those kinds of numbers. If Lacy were not such a good receiver I might weight the matter a bit differently.

It's pretty obvious Nelson and Cobb get most of the targets but I'm not satisfied with the production of the TEs.

There's no doubt the Packers can win games with these kind of numbers from their TEs, but especially vs. teams capable of limiting Nelson's and Cobb's success it would be important for one of them to step up huge.