Fire! Fire!

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS SCRAMBLE TO DOUSE FLAMING FANS

At a time when wildfires have been raging in several corners of the nation, there's a c-onflagration that currently is consuming Packer nation.

And the front office knows it.

Why else would the team put out an "all is well" press release on Mother's Day?

"We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement. "We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

And Thompson provided a carefully-crafted non-answer to the question of whether, as Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reported earlier in the day, Favre has asked for a trade.

"We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."

Possible translation: "Yes, but because Brett currently has a literal and figurative hold on the ******* of the front office, we don't want to take any chances that he might decide to squeeze even harder than he already has."

In our view, this Mother's Day missive is a desperate act from an organization that is facing a revolt from its fan base. And we're even more convinced that either Favre or Thompson will be not with the team come September. Given that the franchise is publicly owned, we wouldn't be surprised if someone were to file a shareholder's action aimed at forcing the team to have the same kind of accountability that would exist if there was a real owner calling the shots.

For his part, Favre is trying to help put out the fire. The post on his official site regarding rumors of Favre wanting a trade, which were confirmed by board administrator "DavidPHX," has been deleted. And DavidPHX has posted the following message: "Brett has asked that we all tone down the articles and any dislikes for management. He does not want his site to fuel rumors. Ted Thompson is his boss and we need to tone everything down. I believe the situation is over with. Brett vented said what he wanted and I believe management has heard. Brett loves the Green Bay Packers and has always felt we have the best fans in the WORLD . I expect Brett to return as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers on September 9. Go Packers!"

Still, Favre is the one who has started this mess, both by privately asking to be traded and by publicly making his displeasure known. It's a storm of unprecedented proportion for the Packers, and we don't think the situation is going to get better any time soon. The only person to benefit from this brouhaha might be receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who could end up getting a lucrative offer to join the team in light of the fact that he's the only potential impact player who is on the market right now.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans need to stop whining like babies about one player who they all probably hated more than any other person in the league 2 years ago, and just sit back and wait for training camp. Congratulations though, fans, on turning the optimism that we went into the offseason with into complete pessimism over Randy ******* Moss.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats what kills me mass... theres no way we can carry any optimism into the season now... looks like all the negative nancies finally got what they wanted.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I dont get is it seems like we can't make any trades before the start of the season or sign new guys. I mean except for the obvious 2 WR's in FA (Moulds & Keyshawn) we still have decent trade bait in KGB and maybe Fergy. We can still get something different.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans need to stop whining like babies about one player who they all probably hated more than any other person in the league 2 years ago, and just sit back and wait for training camp. Congratulations though, fans, on turning the optimism that we went into the offseason with into complete pessimism over Randy ******* Moss.

I dont think people are whining IMO, they just know that we need a few more good players on our team, and Randy Moss would have made a huge difference. Yes we all hated Moss two years ago, but that is when he was playing for the Vikings, if he would have played with the Packers and he would have made a difference every Packer fan would have loved him. Plus what he did two years ago was in the heat of the moment. I didnt like Moss cause he was a Viking, (sorry vikes). I think Moss did some stupid things, but I truly believe it was because he wanted out of Viking terratory. We didnt hear anything bad that he did playing with Oakland other then he wanted to play with a winning team just like Brett does. They are both getting older they want another shot at going to the Superbowl. IMO Brett has what it takes to get there, but again he cannot get there on his own.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did Randy Moss destroy us? TT wasnt able to come up with the money, or should I say he didnt want to come up with the money. So Moss went to the Patriots. And whose to say we still cant have a great team?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did Randy Moss destroy us? TT wasnt able to come up with the money, or should I say he didnt want to come up with the money. So Moss went to the Patriots. And whose to say we still cant have a great team?

easy there..... you absolutely positive this is on TT.. like positive in that theres facts to back it up. no one knows yet... so dont be too quick to blame anyone.

but your right that we can still be a good team. as long as Favres comments didnt kill momentum and morale.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where in the bloody hell did this "TT wouldn't pay Moss" rumor crop up? Because as far as I can tell from all of the sources, it's complete ********.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
but your right that we can still be a good team. as long as Favres comments didnt kill momentum and morale.

Don't you think that sitting and not bringing anyone other than rookies in to add "playmakers" to the offense didn't kill this mighty momentum of a 4 game winning streak that we hear about time and time again?

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He didn't destroy us because he isn't going to play for us, but because Brett Favre made a damn mess out of it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Don't you think that sitting and not bringing anyone other than rookies in to add "playmakers" to the offense didn't kill this mighty momentum of a 4 game winning streak that we hear about time and time again?

no i dont... but its a purely philosophical difference we seem to disagree on there. nothing concrete.

you think adding free agents is the best way to continue momentum from season to season and build a team. i think its not as necessary, and infact may disrupt any morale and momentum built up. i think TWEAKING a team with free agents and building from within, is the best way to go. thats all. and if your gonna go the route of building within and keeping your own players, then Favres comments may have a damaging effect.

but i dont agree with the notion that the packers SAT through free agency. they were active in several free agent signing attempts. but got hosed/screwed (we dont know for sure yet) up the Moss incident. but to say they were stagnant is wrong they were active in pursuit, just didnt get any deals done except the frank walker deal which bolster a position in need of bolstering. the packers shored up WR, RB, TE, CB, S this offseason, all positions in need of a good shoring up.... just because they arent the guys you wanted to bring in doesnt make it wrong. the season will tell.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Packnic said:

no i dont... but its a purely philosophical difference we seem to disagree on there. nothing concrete.

you think adding free agents is the best way to continue momentum from season to season and build a team. i think its not as necessary, and infact may disrupt any morale and momentum built up. i think TWEAKING a team with free agents and building from within, is the best way to go. thats all. and if your gonna go the route of building within and keeping your own players, then Favres comments may have a damaging effect.

but i dont agree with the notion that the packers SAT through free agency. they were active in several free agent signing attempts. but got hosed/screwed (we dont know for sure yet) up the Moss incident. but to say they were stagnant is wrong they were active in pursuit, just didnt get any deals done except the frank walker deal which bolster a position in need of bolstering. the packers shored up WR, RB, TE, CB, S this offseason, all positions in need of a good shoring up.... just because they arent the guys you wanted to bring in doesnt make it wrong. the season will tell.

I don't necessarily believe that adding Free Agents is a must, but having more than 2nd year players and rookies lining up in close to half of the offenses starting slots, isn't exactly adding playmakers and shoring things up. Maybe 2 years from now, but there is no known entities in the backfield nor past Driver in the WR.

Lots of potential. I could really care less about Moss, but I would have hoped that we would have added a veteran or two proven players to this squad on the offensive side of the ball.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Pack93z said:
Packnic said:

I don't necessarily believe that adding Free Agents is a must, but having more than 2nd year players and rookies lining up in close to half of the offenses starting slots, isn't exactly adding playmakers and shoring things up. Maybe 2 years from now, but there is no known entities in the backfield nor past Driver in the WR.

Lots of potential. I could really care less about Moss, but I would have hoped that we would have added a veteran or two proven players to this squad on the offensive side of the ball.

Well sai, and Ted has the money to do just that

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well you really dont know if its necessarily adding playmakers. you wouldnt have thought that adding marques colston would have bolstered the Saints WR corp last year but it did. Im just saying you can add talent through the draft as well as free agency... they are both unknown commodities that you bring in really.

so if we bring in keyshawn johnson, hes definetly a proven player, and definetly a veteran, even more so than moss on both accounts.... will that make you happy.

i wouldnt mind key at all.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did Randy Moss even want to come to Green Bay? Brett Favre has gone down to the primadonna level of Moss and TO. What a disappointment .

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where in the bloody hell did this "TT wouldn't pay Moss" rumor crop up? Because as far as I can tell from all of the sources, it's complete ********.
its the popular thing to say.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm firmly in the frustrated camp. But it's not about the Moss thing, with me. Sure, it would have been interesting, and might have helped a lot. But we don't know what Moss is going to bring.

I'm simply upset that we have the most conservative GM in the game. I understand if TT wants to rebuild, but you have to give this team SOMETHING.

"Can we get a little help over here." I, and many packer fans, are not asking for Marvin Harrision, Larry Johnson, or other superstars as one TT defender mentioned; I'm simply asking for a few (2) (lol) vets here and there to help out.

Instead you have a frustrated fan base and a HOF QB who has to deal with a RB tandem that's done next to nothing in the league (certainly not enough to be handed the keys)...

I mean, bringing in someone on the level of a Corey Dillion, and a nice pick-up like TE Eric Johnson...

Nothing big. Just showing a little something. Helping out a little. Just a pinch.

Ahhh, in the end I still feel TT will bring in a vet RB before the season starts...

Someone. Anyone. Please.

But thank you, Brett. Talking to TT behind closed doors would have done nothing. You expressed the frustrations of many in Packers Nation.

I don't have a problem with the conservative approach...But that's not an invitation to do nothing...

That's disrespectful to Packers fans everywhere (the real owners) and to #4.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I'm firmly in the frustrated camp. But it's not about the Moss thing, with me. Sure, it would have been interesting, and might have helped a lot. But we don't know what Moss is going to bring.

I'm simply upset that we have the most conservative GM in the game. I understand if TT wants to rebuild, but you have to give this team SOMETHING.

"Can we get a little help over here." I, and many packer fans, are not asking for Marvin Harrision, Larry Johnson, or other superstars as one TT defender mentioned; I'm simply asking for a few (2) (lol) vets here and there to help out.

Instead you have a frustrated fan base and a HOF QB who has to deal with a RB tandem that's done next to nothing in the league (certainly not enough to be handed the keys)...

I mean, bringing in someone on the level of a Corey Dillion, and a nice pick-up like TE Eric Johnson...

Nothing big. Just showing a little something. Helping out a little. Just a pinch.

Ahhh, in the end I still feel TT will bring in a vet RB before the season starts...

Someone. Anyone. Please.

But thank you, Brett. Talking to TT behind closed doors would have done nothing. You expressed the frustrations of many in Packers Nation.

I don't have a problem with the conservative approach...But that's not an invitation to do nothing...

That's disrespectful to Packers fans everywhere (the real owners) and to #4.

BRAVO.... very well put and echoed by many...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We brought in Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson (2) last year.

and, as many people like to ignore, free agency isn't over.

I swear, its either make a bigname splash EARLY, or...you've failed as a GM.

its cute.

I also think we need some more pickups, and...we probably will pick more people up, because....this is how TT goes about business. The short memory of some of the people here astonishes me.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No... we destroyed ourselves because we placed too great an importance on Moss. It doesn't help that Favre is vocally upset about the situation, because a vast majority of the fans side with Favre. They think Favre=Football. That's not helping the situation. In any case, we call just gotta back off and wait to see what happens. Remember people pissed about last years draft? "Greg who???" He turned out to be a pretty good player.

And BTW, I'm a HUUUUUGGGGEEEE Favre fan. I love the guy. He's my favorite player of all-time and I look up to him for a number of reasons. That said, he isn't infallible. It would help if, for once, he answered a [potentially controversial] question with, "No comment." But that's just not how he is. He wears his heart on his sleave.

It's ironic that one of Favre's best qualities is actually hurting the relationship between the fans and other fans, and the fans and the front office.

Let's just cooooooooool our jets, people.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the majority of the fans called Harlan to say they didn't want Moss, the Packers management passed on Moss and now the majority of the fans want their heads for not getting Moss, where is the logic?