Fire Matt LaFleur

How many wins does MLF need to keep his job?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 8.3%

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • He shouldn’t be fired this year no matter what

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure I've said it before but I think that broadly speaking the simplest way to assess a coach is as follows:

- Bad coaches take the talent they are given and put out a product that is worse than the sum of its parts. The on-the-field product is below the level you would expect given the talent at their disposal.

- Average (and perhaps slightly above-average or even slightly below-average) coaches take the talent they are given and put out a product that is more or less equal to the sum of its parts. The on-the-field product is right about at the level you'd expect, given the talent at their disposal.

- Great coaches take the talent they are given and put out a product that is greater than the sum of its parts. The on-the-field product is better than you'd expect given the talent at their disposal.

By this (admittedly simplistic) measure I do not think LaFleur is a "bad" coach or even a below-average one. I have also not seen much to suggest yet that he is a "great" coach, either. I don't think he has done anything remotely close to being "fireable" yet, though I do worry that his stubborn devotion to bad assistants may bring him down with them at some point…

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are already in the DARK days in GB.

In their last 26 games that count they are 10-16. That is a 38% winning percentage.

For reference, in Forrest Gregg's four seasons in GB he had a record of 25-37-1 record for a 39% winning percentage.

If Murphy stands pat, it will probably be worse than Gregg's tenure and is already one and a half seasons into accomplishing that kind of failure.

I understand why some of you can't see it yet. You are so emotionally invested in the team it is hard to judge it an unbiased, objective and completely analytical mindset. But, by seasons end I'm sure reality will sink in for many of the die-hards.

And hey, Ron Wolf fired Ray Rhodes after one 8-8 season, so, firing ML after two losing seasons is not knee-jerk irrational. Murphy also fired a Super Bowl Trophy winning coach McCarthy in season, so, it is not unreasonable to think (hope in my case) Murphy may clean house at any time.
I believe Gregg's first 3 seasons were around .500 and it was his last season that sent the team sinking. Not that we were any good but his tenure was at the height of the great Ditka Bear teams. I believe he only beat them one time when he was here.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His major flaw is his slavish devotion to Joe Barry. Otherwise, guys on offense are consistently open in the passing game and his run scheme is pretty good (not great but pretty good). He's not the best offensive coach in the NFL but I'd put him, conservatively, in the top-10.
I have no gripes with MLF. I just am not seeing guys on offense constantly open or a pretty good run scheme. Now that may be the players fault, a lack of talent or whatever but IMO I have not seen these constantly open receivers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no gripes with MLF. I just am not seeing guys on offense constantly open or a pretty good run scheme. Now that may be the players fault, a lack of talent or whatever but IMO I have not seen these constantly open receivers.
Doesn't matter if they get open. Rodgers won't throw it to them anyway and instead heave it downfield to the triple covered "my guy I trust."
OH wait. Rodgers is gone so yeah they better get better at getting open.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they get open. Rodgers won't throw it to them anyway and instead heave it downfield to the triple covered "my guy I trust."
OH wait. Rodgers is gone so yeah they better get better at getting open.
Yes, Rodgers has been gone for a while, they traded him before the draft. He got hurt in his first game as a Jet. So he really hasn't played at all this year. Jordan Love, 1st round pick in the 2020 draft is now GBs starting QB. Their has been a lot of discussion about him. Every once in a great while some people even compare him to Rodgers. They seem to have some obsession and can't seem to let it go. There is an entire thread titled "the Jordan Love era begins". I really think you would like it. GPG.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Murphy should retire early. That would allow a proper house cleaning. I agree that a capable coach won't step into the job if Murphy is still in charge. MLF has shown that he doesn't base his assistant coaching decisions based upon performance. He'd rather keep a good ol' boy network than replace proven failures like Joe Barry or MO Drayton. His unwillingness to manage a competent staff is one of the main reasons he's now 10-16 in his last 26 games.
Really?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He has to go. Arguably one of the worst offensive play callers you will see. I could coach with Rodgers… he has no idea how to exist without a once in a lifetime QB
Still feel that way? Oh wait, you haven't been back the past month, not since the winning streak began.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really want to saddle the team with Joe Barry next year? I've seen enough to want him gone despite the win. I've posted before that Mike McCarthy teams never ever play 4 quarters. I knew that the Packers had a good shot to beat the Cowboys as I posted last week. Cowboys came out flat and stunk it up for the first 26 minutes. Nobody who watched the Packers during McCarthy tenure should be
I surprised. Live was crazy good yesterday and I give Tom Clements more credit than anybody else for that but the Dallas coaching job yesterday was horrendous. I'm glad it was but their soft zone was inexcusable idiotic. Sometimes your good and sometimes the opposition stinks. Yesterday had some of both.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn’t find a thread for this, so I’m starting one. The team looks so unprepared and undisciplined, and that’s on the coaching staff. I’m not saying he should be fired, but given our recent performance, I suspect we will hear more in this vein soon. So it’s worth having a thread.

So let me get this straight. You started a thread called “Fire Matt LaFleur” - even though you’re “not saying he should be fired” but we should just get the ball rolling, get the convo started. Very thoughtful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, he should be gone end of season.

I just don't think we were prepared enough for Love era. The play calling is dire. No innovation, no creativity and no push to change when things aren't working.

I don't think he's getting the best of any player in team now.

The team needs a clean out and it starts at the top.
Lol. Alrighty then.

I'm thinking your credibility is taking a hit. :cool:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My account has been hacked! That wasn't me!

:rolleyes:

Anyway, we were in the dumps then. I was so pissed!
Lol....... pulling levers and flipping switches....... Pay no attention to that man behind the keyboard!

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You started a thread called “Fire Matt LaFleur” - even though you’re “not saying he should be fired” but we should just get the ball rolling, get the convo started. Very thoughtful.
They way this team looked first half of the season coupled with MLFs play calling was not pretty. And calling for MLFs head wasn't unreasonable.
Both MLF and the team had grown tremendously in a shirt period of time which changes everything.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They way this team looked first half of the season coupled with MLFs play calling was not pretty. And calling for MLFs head wasn't unreasonable.
Both MLF and the team had grown tremendously in a shirt period of time which changes everything.

You don't fire a coach that quickly unless your a piece of crap GM like Carolina has....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We disagree. I think it is unreasonable.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't fire a coach that quickly unless your a piece of crap GM like Carolina has....
Who is gonna be in a big hurry to accept that job unless they're extremely desperate for money? Seems to be a career damaging job to have.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is gonna be in a big hurry to accept that job unless they're extremely desperate for money? Seems to be a career damaging job to have.
One of the reasons I'm not nearly involved as a fan. Found this in looking around to see how desperate one needs to be. I'm pretty sure that this kind of compensation package (*****) isn't available to most real people, especially after having failed:

"Carolina Panthers head coach salary is $8.5 million after signing a contract on 26 January 2023. It will keep him in Carolina till the 2026 NFL season.

The exact details of the four-year contract with the Panthers have not yet been disclosed. Still, we do know that the new head coach of the Carolina Panthers will earn $9 million annually as the Indianapolis Colts owed him $36 million in wages.

The Colts had extended *****'s contract through 2026 and during the 2022 season, he was fired and is still being compensated as of now."

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm not nearly involved as a fan. Found this in looking around to see how desperate one needs to be. I'm pretty sure that this kind of compensation package (*****) isn't available to most real people, especially after having failed:

"Carolina Panthers head coach salary is $8.5 million after signing a contract on 26 January 2023. It will keep him in Carolina till the 2026 NFL season.

The exact details of the four-year contract with the Panthers have not yet been disclosed. Still, we do know that the new head coach of the Carolina Panthers will earn $9 million annually as the Indianapolis Colts owed him $36 million in wages.

The Colts had extended *****'s contract through 2026 and during the 2022 season, he was fired and is still being compensated as of now."
***** is censored?

That’s so weird.

Members online

Latest posts