Dom Capers is fired

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article just says that Capers was fired "per a source". When is this going to be official.

It's also a concern that apparently the rest of the defensive coaching staff has been retained. That increases the odds that they promote from within, doesn't it? And I don't think any of us want that.
I agree that we don't want to promote from within.... but temporarily retaining the position coaches seems prudent in case the new coordinator wants to keep a few of them. I'm not saying any of them are worth keeping, but a few may be.... I won't pretend to know.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Okay, it is official now, Capers is gone. I totally agree with that decision. A word of warning though. Just remember all coaching changes are a crap shoot, a gamble. Often you go down, before you go back up. Sooner or later you have to give a coach some time, constant coaching turnovers kill a team. Look at Chicago and Detroit.

Let us just look at Packer head coaches that were suppose to save Packer Nation:

Dan "dead dog" Devine
Bart "fresh start" Starr
Forrest " already won a superbowl' Gregg
Lindy "draft Mandrich #1" Infante
Ray "players coach" Rhodes
and last but certainly not least Head coach and GM
Mike "Amad Carrol will save my job" Sherman

That leaves us with Mike Holmgrem and Mike McCarthy as true winners since Lombardi (we sure like Mikes). One Superbowl win each. I am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Also until Teddy is gone, I don't see a lot of change coming. Maybe he is gone still this year, and next to go? We can only wish and pray.

Reaction score
That article just says that Capers was fired "per a source". When is this going to be official.

It's also a concern that apparently the rest of the defensive coaching staff has been retained. That increases the odds that they promote from within, doesn't it? And I don't think any of us want that.
NFL.com just made the announcement also. I received an update text it’s official
I Agree on the retaining staff bit.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers HAS to go. There's no way around it. Now I'm hearing stuff about MM starting to hedge on letting him go.

Okay, given that Capers was officially fired just minutes after you made this post, I have to ask. Where on earth did you hear anything about McCarthy hedging on firing him when every indication has been that he is out? Is there some sort of Packers conspiracy website out there that I'm not aware of? It's almost like you're trying to create fictitious reasons to spread the hate.

H

HardRightEdge

Now we can settle the argument: Was the problem the talent supplied or the use of that talent?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Damn, too late! Just found Capers defensive playbook on Craig's List - $2. Signed for $1.50.
Yeah, but his playbook is still loaded on a classic MacIntosh computer. Hasn't been changed or updated since the '80s.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Literally every day our next wish comes true! Adams, Linsley, Capers gone,.... Burnett? Rodgers extension? Joey Bosa trade for magic beans?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Don't assume they been retained... Be patient.. Jessus

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If a SB win is a 100 on the excitement scale, this is pushing about 60.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't assume they been retained... Be patient.. Jessus
By retained I meant they haven't been removed yet. I don't know the day to day operations of the Packers. I'm sure some of those guys are good coaches, so if some of them keep their jobs, great. My main interest in that was that they don't promote a new DC from within.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
TT is putting alot at risk here. If the new DC cant get it done then TT is fully to blame for not giving 2 DCs the talent to work with.

beveaux1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is putting alot at risk here. If the new DC cant get it done then TT is fully to blame for not giving 2 DCs the talent to work with.

True, but if TT is really thinking about retirement after the 2019 draft, there will be only one season of risk involved.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There goes the theory some had that Trgovac was going to be promoted to dc.

This may be unfair but he had to go. I was actually excited for a while with him on the staff because he had a great run as DC in Carolina. At this point you just have to get rid of anything you think might even remotely stink.

Reaction score
Yeah, but his playbook is still loaded on a classic MacIntosh computer. Hasn't been changed or updated since the '80s.
Hey hey. It’s not his fault nobody upgraded his 1200 Baud Modem (the screech of a dial up connectivity) :cautious:

Members online

Latest posts