Dom Capers is fired

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've heard Fangio isn't a yes man and will voice his opinion. That won't fly with MM. I hope they hire him!!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yes. My opinion, you need elite playmaking from all three levels to make a 3-4 defense work. In order to make a 3-4 thrive, you need elite playmakers!!! GB doesn't have the personnel. However, switching to a 4-3 will suddenly make the players currently on the roster better. Why?...because a 4-3 will play to their strengths, and you can get away with average players in this scheme. From the front seven to the secondary, everyone will be better. As of today (4-3 scenario), Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels clogging up the middle, with Daniels getting a sack or TFL for measure. Blake Martinez zipping all over at MLB. The other guys cleaning up with tackles and assisted tackles. Ha Ha and Burnett/Jones enforcing. CBs playing zone/man depending on offense. A cover 2 or Cover 3, 4-3 defense is essential in the NFC North and really for the league as a whole.

Go 4-3 and draft Wilkins

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is the type of guy who will only work with guys that have been within his staff. I can easily see him hiring a guy already within his staff which IMO would cancel out the fact Capers is out. Bring in some fresh blood, PLEASE. I don’t wanna see any residue left behind of Capers damn zone blitz scheme.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm gonna party so hard tonight someone gonna have to bail me out of jail. ;)

Better days are coming, Packers fans!

BlueRidgePackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really is time for a change. Injuries aside, we are consistently among the bottom in most categories defensively. Sometimes change is needed.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Really is time for a change. Injuries aside, we are consistently among the bottom in most categories defensively. Sometimes change is needed.
I've only been around the forums for a little over a year so I wasn't here after the NFCCG debacle in Seattle, but I said immediately after the NFCCG debacle in Atlanta that he needed to GO. This move is so far overdue it's not even funny.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every defense requires playmakers, a 43 perhaps even more so than the 34, given that it's more of a vanilla scheme. We do not have a stable of 43 defensive ends, we would likely need atleast 2 years to build an appreciable amount of depth for the position and that's assuming that Nick Perry holds up and a rook produces as a starter. Clarke and Daniels are already functionally used as 43 DTs. Sometimes in this Sport it pays to stay put as the game can be circular. Back when we went to the 34 everyone else was doing it, now more and more teams have rolled out the 43 defense. If we change scheme I hope its not a full scheme change but rather a hybrid scheme using both 34 and 43 concepts.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING! I was really, really down on the entire organization the past few weeks. I'm feeling much better after locking up Adams and Linsley and showing Capers the door. I just hope that the new defensive coordinator will play towards the strengths of the players.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for speed, I'd argue that speed is more of a requirement for 43 Mike and will backers than for 34 ILBs. Cats like Navarro Bowman, Bart Scott and our own Desmond Bishop were not fast guys. They were, however, smart physical and had great short range burst.

Martinez isn't fast enough to play mike or Will backer, Ryan isnt fast enough for Will or instinctive enough for Mike. Ryan and Matthews probably would be plus Sam backers, Matthews would probably be a 3-4 sack a year guy in that position. Yes Clark and Daniels could play 43 DT, Lowry probably doesnt fit in this defense. Outside of that you got Nick Perry playing a more physical position which would probably see him injured more often.

H

HardRightEdge

Fangio is a 3-4 guy. That would be consistent with the Packer incremental approach to problems.

Better late than never. The Seattle collapse should have been the moment of truth.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the rumors about Gruden possibly going to Oakland are true, I'd like to see Jack Del Rio. He has a strong track record, and that's what we need. Rodgers isn't young anymore, and experimenting with unproven DCs can cost us valuable time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If this article is correct, why would MM feel it's necessary to "wait" on Firing Capers?

Is he trying to stash Dom, so nobody else will hire him? Would there really be someone with any bit of knowledge about the Packers saying "Wow, didn't see THAT one coming!" Or would it just be to let us all dangle for THAT much longer on the news? Do it already MM, I want a Happy New Year!

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...official-immediately-nfl-coaching-firing-2017

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T Rex...No on Fangio, another Capers student, nooooooo. Del rio wouldn't be a bad choice. Show MM and TT the door and clean house.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put this dude on the edge and let him loose. With Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, and Nick Perry on the other side, GB's D-Line could be stout.

Sir. Sir.

Wilkins is a 3T. Sure he can play the edge very, very, very situationally, but he's a 3T. You aren't putting him on the edge in the NFL. Cmon.