Dom Capers is fired

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is Capers gone or not?? I'm reading conflicting reports.

Define "gone"? Many of us have thought he left the building years ago and then every once in awhile during broadcasts they show this propped up image of someone in the press box with a death stare....oh wait, that is TT!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Could you at least attempt to be intellectually accurate?

Don't worry I'm just about done with it and over it. I put way too much time and energy into an organization that to me has become fraud and making money over winning. Tired of the lies and the excuses. Titletown will always be a tourist attraction but "winning" has become secondary. It didn't need to be this way or come to this but we can all thank Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy for that. I can no longer just look the other way and dump $ into this hobby or obsession some might call it.

I only went to one game this year(Seahawks) and I did do family night for my wife's daughter. I was supposed to go to Pittsburgh to watch Packers/Steelers but sold the tickets and we went on a cruise instead which turned out to be a great decision.

Next year I am not doing any games and was also gonna plan a trip to the draft but not as long as the current regime is in place because to do so would just be wasting time and $. I will always be a Packer fan but just gonna take a back seat or no seat in some instances for awhile and let this "Clown Show" play out. Hopefully at the end of it we will still have Aaron Rodgers and some chance at becoming a dominating organization again. Im stepping out of the movie "Ground Hog Day". Go ahead and keep living it. More power to ya. ;)

Edit: #EndTheClownShow

There ya go Buggy

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Don't worry I'm just about done with it and over it. I put way too much time and energy into an organization that to me has become fraud and making money over winning. Tired of the lies and the excuses. Titletown will always be a tourist attraction but "winning" has become secondary. It didn't need to be this way or come to this but we can all thank Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy for that. I can no longer just look the other way and dump $ into this hobby or obsession some might call it.

I only went to one game this year(Seahawks) and I did do family night for my wife's stepdaughter. I was supposed to go to Pittsburgh to watch Packers/Steelers but sold the tickets and we went on a cruise instead which turned out to be a great decision.

Next year I am not doing any games and was also gonna plan a trip to the draft but not as long as the current regime is in place because to do so would just be wasting time and $. I will always be a Packer fan but just gonna take a back seat or no seat in some instances for awhile and let this "Clown Show" play out. Hopefully at the end of it we will still have Aaron Rodgers and some chance at becoming a dominating organization again. Im stepping out of the movie "Ground Hog Day". Go ahead and keep living it. More power to ya. ;)

You forgot "Clown show !!!!" :D

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Capers should have been gone years ago. I don't really blame him for the Seattle collapse though. The first 55 minutes of that game was some of the best defense in Packers history. I blame MM's conservatism, Peppers telling the guy to slide when he could have ran the INT back another 15 yards, HHCD not knowing how to jump on the 2-pt hail mary, Bostick...
I totally agree. That loss was not on Capers. But he still needs to go.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree Capers should have been gone years ago. I don't really blame him for the Seattle collapse though. The first 55 minutes of that game was some of the best defense in Packers history. I blame MM's conservatism, Peppers telling the guy to slide when he could have ran the INT back another 15 yards, HHCD not knowing how to jump on the 2-pt hail mary, Bostick...
Winners close the deal. Those who don’t get a set of steak knives. Laying off blame gets nada. Capers did not engrain a culture of closing. First play, last play, tight game, blow out...it’s all the same in the Capers cat-and-mouse.

Hands

In the land of the blind, the one eye man is king
Reaction score
Funny you say that. Lombardi inherited a roster that already had 7 HOF players and yet only managed a single win the previous year. Coaching can make a big difference.
That is true, I don't see any HOF players on this defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's pretty much the point. They aren't HOF with this staff, they might be elsewhere. Way, way too early and over the top, but it's hard to overlook the two DBs this year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would have said the same thing about the entire team back in 1958.

There is a lot of talent on this defense. I realize it has performed poorly, but I think on an individual basis there are some really good players. I would have bet that Haha would be one of the best in the NFL this season based on his improvement and excellent play last season. Instead he was marginal. Did he suddenly become untalented?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You would have said the same thing about the entire team back in 1958.

There is a lot of talent on this defense. I realize it has performed poorly, but I think on an individual basis there are some really good players. I would have bet that Haha would be one of the best in the NFL this season based on his improvement and excellent play last season. Instead he was marginal. Did he suddenly become untalented?

HaHa's effort yesterday was past pathetic. He totally quit weeks ago. I think he lacks some instincts as far as tracking the ball all the way back to the 2015 champ game on that two point conversion. He gets lost at times is my point. As someone else posted a lot if his picks were due to horrible QB play.

Overall I don't think Dix will ever be a top tier NFL free safety. I think he needs to be put down closer to the box and up the effort.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My first post here, but have been a Packer fan since 63. First off I think MM will want to stay with the 3-4 defense. Second, he needs a guy who can and will run that. Capers wasn't his first choice the last time he looked. Probably won't get his prime candidate this time either. At this point...you can have Vince Lombardi coaching the defense and with the bodies they have available to play you aren't getting this group into the top ten in league defense.
Lombardi was an offensive coach coming up. Landry was the defensive coach under Red Blaik at Army. If I remember correctly, Lombardi turned over the reins to the defense to his DC Phil Bengston and provided him the players he needed by drafting guys like Herb Adderley, Bob Jeter and Dave Robinson, moving them to the defensive side of the ball, picking up Willie Wood and Willie Davis, doing the same with them and trading for Henry Jordan. Bengston molded them around Nitschke and turned the entire group into a formidable defense. Lombardi put the offensive pieces into place around his created centerpiece known as Bart Starr.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HaHa's effort yesterday was past pathetic. He totally quit weeks ago. I think he lacks some instincts as far as tracking the ball all the way back to the 2015 champ game on that two point conversion. He gets lost at times is my point. As someone else posted a lot if his picks were due to horrible QB play.

Overall I don't think Dix will ever be a top tier NFL free safety. I think he needs to be put down closer to the box and up the effort.
There are very few perfect players in the NFL. A great DC understands each players strengths and weaknesses and game plans accordingly. I think theree are issues with talent on defense, but those issues are less than many of the teams ranked ahead of the Packers on defense. I think our primary issue is coaching.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I like to puke out my almighty opinion, as if god had hand picked me to decide. But as time goes on, I look at the subject from every angle, and get a much clearer picture... opinions change.

I always thought dom was a hall of fame caliber coach. He was chosen to build the team when the ravens, and Texans were expansion teams!!! Or Titans, whatever. Can't remember. Doesn't matter.
Point is. He is a renowned football genius. That is fact.

So the options are to fire him. In a way scapegoat him. And hopefully field a better defense next year... OR keep him and demand a different scheme...

To say capers isn't capable of coaching a scheme change, would be wrong . And rather than scrap the nearly decade long relationship and system, capers and the rest of the packers built. When all everybody needs, is to quit chasing unicorns. The 2-4-5 doesn't work. Simple as that. It's streaky. It's way too dependant on having the right pieces to the puzzle in place. One or two injuries, and it quickly becomes a bend but don't break defense. A prevent mentality...
I think it's because we play undersized. From the scheme itself, only two Dlinemen. Holding only 5 on the roster... It's the root of the failure.
From there we had tweener safety's playing ilb. And a whole pile of CBs under 6' tall who runs 4.5 40's... bad plan..

Greenbay drafted Clark to help Daniels. That's working great. King and Jones last year. You can see what size and speed does. They looked great imo.

I believe Greenbay and capers are working on the players for this scheme change. But until I see more good Dlinemen on the field. And CBs who don't get bullied by every wr we face. I will be on the fire capers bandwagon. But if he brings a 3-3-5 with quality dline rotation, and big tough physical secondary. We will be a better defense.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers HAS to go. There's no way around it. Now I'm hearing stuff about MM starting to hedge on letting him go, and if MM does in fact keep Capers on staff for 2018, then he has to go too.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More defensive changes as well...Hold on I need a beer to re read this.... A whole new defensive coaching scheme... Happy New Year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180101-142810.png
    Screenshot_20180101-142810.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 128
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We`ve got enough threads on the go about Capers ! I`m merging this one.

Reaction score
It’s like Christmas all over again!

seriously tho, my best wishes to Dom Capers and his family it’s nothing personal.

I would love to ask him why he rarely played full man press off the LOS when blitzing.. that always perplexed me. Also the application of a 3 man rush playing loose zone in critical down and distance when a sack literally takes away a FG try or forces a Safety. smh

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article just says that Capers was fired "per a source". When is this going to be official.

It's also a concern that apparently the rest of the defensive coaching staff has been retained. That increases the odds that they promote from within, doesn't it? And I don't think any of us want that.

Members online

Latest posts