Dom Capers is fired

golfman33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Capers is gone, but want no part of Wilkins in round 1. I want Chubb, Key or Harold Landry at DE. If they are gone give me Rokwon Smith to play middle linebacker. We have never had a guy like that in the middle. He's a three down stud.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sir. Sir.

Wilkins is a 3T. Sure he can play the edge very, very, very situationally, but he's a 3T. You aren't putting him on the edge in the NFL. Cmon.

Then line Fackrell up at DE as I'm sure he is another gem of pick TT made that you like. :eek:

We're just oozing of talent.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T Rex...No on Fangio, another Capers student, nooooooo. Del rio wouldn't be a bad choice. Show MM and TT the door and clean house.

Have you watched a fangio defense. Looks way different than what capers does. He may be a student but he has tweaked a lot.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I hope Capers is gone, but want no part of Wilkins in round 1. I want Chubb, Key or Harold Landry at DE. If they are gone give me Rokwon Smith to play middle linebacker. We have never had a guy like that in the middle. He's a three down stud.

Key and Chubb will be long gone when we pick.

"Roquan" Smith would be a great pick if he is available. It's gonna be close.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Bills are in the playoffs and the Packers are not.

What the hell kind of world are we living in.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Bills are in the playoffs and the Packers are not.

What the hell kind of world are we living in.

Even people that put way way less into this then us and far less knowledge can see it plain to the eye that this team is the "Green Bay Browns" without Aaron Rodgers. ****, my wife can figure it out.

The problem is we got to many people "stuck on stupid" with this whole Clown Show.

H

HardRightEdge

If this article is correct, why would MM feel it's necessary to "wait" on Firing Capers?

Is he trying to stash Dom, so nobody else will hire him? Would there really be someone with any bit of knowledge about the Packers saying "Wow, didn't see THAT one coming!" Or would it just be to let us all dangle for THAT much longer on the news? Do it already MM, I want a Happy New Year!

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...official-immediately-nfl-coaching-firing-2017
They would not want to fire him until they have an agreement in principle with a replacement.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They would not want to fire him until they have an agreement in principle with a replacement.

Not that I don't doubt that is the way the Packers may do it, but I doubt it's the norm for teams to wait on firing a guy until they find a suitable replacement. I mean either you want the guy gone or you don't. Is there really a question here that there isn't a better option out there?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not that I don't doubt that is the way the Packers may do it, but I doubt it's the norm for teams to wait on firing a guy until they find a suitable replacement. I mean either you want the guy gone or you don't. Is there really a question here that there isn't a better option out there?
Exactly.

One thing's for sure. How much worse could this defense possibly get? There's no where to go but up.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fangio is a 3-4 guy. That would be consistent with the Packer incremental approach to problems.

Better late than never. The Seattle collapse should have been the moment of truth.

I agree Capers should have been gone years ago. I don't really blame him for the Seattle collapse though. The first 55 minutes of that game was some of the best defense in Packers history. I blame MM's conservatism, Peppers telling the guy to slide when he could have ran the INT back another 15 yards, HHCD not knowing how to jump on the 2-pt hail mary, Bostick...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Capers gone or not?? I'm reading conflicting reports.
I think it is pending. Too much smoke, must be a fire. It probably will be a few days before an official announcement. If it's true, I'm sure Capers and company already know.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Who picks DC....HC or GM?
Yes. Or if you are Jerruh Jones, the owner does.
It probably will be a few days before an official announcement. If it's true, I'm sure Capers and company already know.
I hope they changed the pass code to his office and denied him access to his tablet. We wouldn't want him sabotaging or stealing the defensive playbook for his next gig. :p

Hands

In the land of the blind, the one eye man is king
Reaction score
My first post here, but have been a Packer fan since 63. First off I think MM will want to stay with the 3-4 defense. Second, he needs a guy who can and will run that. Capers wasn't his first choice the last time he looked. Probably won't get his prime candidate this time either. At this point...you can have Vince Lombardi coaching the defense and with the bodies they have available to play you aren't getting this group into the top ten in league defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first post here, but have been a Packer fan since 63. First off I think MM will want to stay with the 3-4 defense. Second, he needs a guy who can and will run that. Capers wasn't his first choice the last time he looked. Probably won't get his prime candidate this time either. At this point...you can have Vince Lombardi coaching the defense and with the bodies they have available to play you aren't getting this group into the top ten in league defense.
Funny you say that. Lombardi inherited a roster that already had 7 HOF players and yet only managed a single win the previous year. Coaching can make a big difference.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they changed the pass code to his office and denied him access to his tablet. We wouldn't want him sabotaging or stealing the defensive playbook for his next gig. :p
Damn, too late! Just found Capers defensive playbook on Craig's List - $2. Signed for $1.50.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4-3, 3-4, it hardly matters. We don't stay in the base that much anyways.

Anyways, I want Fangio. Fantastic defensive coach. Yes, from the same tree as Capers, but they are different. Fangio keeps things simple, and aggressive. Capers defense is more of a read and react. I hate read and react. Why? Because it's slow. Keep it simple, let your guys play fast, and things go better.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally I feel bad seeing a guy lose his job but the time had come two years ago. It was painful to watch this defense get worse. Get the new d coordinator a pass rusher and a corner and I feel much better about next year

In his article Dougherty proposed several possible candidates. If this is true...then I would hope that MM would look for someone younger, who might bring some creativity and fire. The defense needs to show some life instead of looking like they have gone 15 rounds in the 1st quarter.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is the type of guy who will only work with guys that have been within his staff. I can easily see him hiring a guy already within his staff which IMO would cancel out the fact Capers is out. Bring in some fresh blood, PLEASE. I don’t wanna see any residue left behind of Capers damn zone blitz scheme.

I have thought of that, but even if he promotes someone maybe they have some ideas but Capers was the DC and wasn't open to suggestions.?? Trying to be positive.:)

Members online

Latest posts