Defense under Barry

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers does leave, then definitely load up the defense.

The money allocated to re-signing Campbell and Douglas would be huge.

Restructure the contracts for Zadarius and Preston Smith.

From there? Sign Alexander to a satisfactory deal.

Use the assets from the Rodgers deal to add to the offense.

In a perfect world Rodgers restructures his contract for a 35M annually, with a huge signing bonus.

Adams would return and a couple more players could return.

Reaction score
Eh... one could if they were so inclined, but I don't think turnovers are very predictive.
I’d disagree there. The playoff teams from year to year have a high productivity in that area as a rule. In particular, when the Packers have been successful in that area they tend to shine. I recall us being near top of the league in 2010 also.

GB was 11-0 when winning turnover battle and 0-3 when losing turnover battles in 2021 regular season. Obviously that includes all phases. So let’s look further ….
Leaguewide in 2021 regular season 8 of the top 10 teams in Defensive TO went playoff bound. The other 2 who made top 10 but missed postseason? were the Colts (9-8) and Miami (9-8). In 2021, the top 10 Defenses in TO all had winning seasons.
So imo as @milani suggested in his Defensive TO comment, they are a highly productive and predictive component and important factor. Barrys D came in at #8 which was very respectable.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t want to Rib ya too much …. but the only playoff game the Packers would be playing against the Titans … would be called the SuperBowl lol.
After you watch 40 to 70+ years of Packer football, things start running together a little bit. Not intentional, but it happens.

As you get older, the only thing you fear is that they might drag in the water. That's a scary future, ain't it? :whistling:

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’d disagree there. The playoff teams from year to year have a high productivity in that area as a rule. In particular, when the Packers have been successful in that area they tend to shine. I recall us being near top of the league in 2010 also.

GB was 11-0 when winning turnover battle and 0-3 when losing turnover battles in 2021 regular season. Obviously that includes all phases. So let’s look further ….
Leaguewide in 2021 regular season 8 of the top 10 teams in Defensive TO went playoff bound. The other 2 who made top 10 but missed postseason? were the Colts (9-8) and Miami (9-8). In 2021, the top 10 Defenses in TO all had winning seasons.
So imo as @milani suggested in his Defensive TO comment, they are a highly productive and predictive component and important factor. Barrys D came in at #8 which was very respectable.

Well yeah. Takeaways lead to success.

But what I'm saying is that you can have a coach who is doing an equally good job and in one season the turnovers come and in another they don't.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what I'm saying is that you can have a coach who is doing an equally good job and in one season the turnovers come and in another they don't.
I do think coaches can focus on creating turnovers, and that approach will probably result in more turnovers. In other words, you are more likely to get a turnover if you are looking to create one. But at the end of the day, the players still have to execute.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think coaches can focus on creating turnovers, and that approach will probably result in more turnovers. In other words, you are more likely to get a turnover if you are looking to create one. But at the end of the day, the players still have to execute.

I was thinking that too and to some small degree its probably true...but the more a thought about...i have to believe every defensive coach in the nfl puts a heavy emphasis on creating turnovers and every offensive coach puts an emphasis on preventing them

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have to believe every defensive coach in the nfl puts a heavy emphasis on creating turnovers
I think some put more emphasis on it than others. Some put more emphasis on tackling. I think there's a spectrum there. We've seen teams that are constantly going after the ball, trying to knock it loose. That's not a coincidence.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well as there is at least some interest, Barry's defense tied for 8th with 1.5 takeaways per game.

In 2020, they were 25th at 1.2/game and 14 in 2019 with 1.4/game.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some put more emphasis on it than others. Some put more emphasis on tackling. I think there's a spectrum there. We've seen teams that are constantly going after the ball, trying to knock it loose. That's not a coincidence.

There is also a degree of luck vs. not.

Forced Fumbles tends to be fairly stable year over year. Fumble recoveries are not. You can focus on stripping the ball, but you cannot coach an egg to bounce where you want it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is also a degree of luck vs. not.

Forced Fumbles tends to be fairly stable year over year. Fumble recoveries are not. You can focus on stripping the ball, but you cannot coach an egg to bounce where you want it.
What kind of eggs do you buy? :)

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess I'm always too subtle. The point was supposed to be what kind of eggs bounce? :)

No, that was me being too subtle. The football is not a sphere, it is basically egg shaped.

You can strip the football. You cannot control it bouncing to your guys, the other guys, out of bounds. . . .

Reaction score
Well yeah. Takeaways lead to success.

Sure there’s fluctuations from time to time. I noticed many teams’ Defenses that aggressively go after the ball. I haven’t seen us do that as much, but there’s definitely an art to tackling and punching at the ball simultaneously or similarly even gang tackling and ripping at the ball. The better Defenses seem to be trained or equipped to implement that. Recently Mercedes’ Lewis had that ball punched out and the SF Defender still has him wrapped up perfectly. We could use more training there imo as that was a state of the art trained play and executed perfectly. While it was obviously us that suffered, we can still appreciate the technical side of that Defensive maneuver.
There’s something to be learned from those game changing scenarios and it’s percentage based. Do it enough and there will be positive results.

I also really liked what Barry brought. I think he had some injury setbacks, but he adjusted well.

One last thing. An intact, better OL would open our Running game and that keeps the Defensive snap count down by utilizing the game clock. A winning ingredient for any D is limiting their snaps.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely not the problem this last season. will probably take a step back next season as they'll probably have to let two key player go in Douglas and Campbell. would love to see King's money go to Douglas. a lot depends on what they do on the offensive side of the ball.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding right! I clearly quickly flashed back in mind while at work and didn’t even think lol
This time he will not have enough leverage to keep Cobb. Unless he would take veteran minimum.

Reaction score
King isn't owed a dime anymore. So there is NO money to go to Douglas from King.
Good point. Possibly he meant putting any possible offer directed towards King as an offer to Rasul instead? Kinda how my warped brain read it.
Although if King comes back he’d have to be on cheaper contract imo

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Possibly he meant putting any possible offer directed towards King as an offer to Rasul instead? Kinda how my warped brain read it.
Although if King comes back he’d have to be on cheaper contract imo
I like the trio of Douglas, Stokes, and Alexander. King should only get on the field if one gets hurt or we put an extra back in on 3rd and long, long. Not sure if King could ever play safety. He could get hurt on special teams instead of at CB. That would be a change.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the trio of Douglas, Stokes, and Alexander. King should only get on the field if one gets hurt or we put an extra back in on 3rd and long, long. Not sure if King could ever play safety. He could get hurt on special teams instead of at CB. That would be a change.
If they manage to resign Douglas … I would not expect King to be on the team. he is not signed for 2022 and I doubt he will be.

Reaction score
If they manage to resign Douglas … I would not expect King to be on the team. he is not signed for 2022 and I doubt he will be.
You’re probably correct there.

That said I’m not opposed to bringing Kevin back as our #4 option, but it would have to be #4 type $$.
No more $5mil+ type offers

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And it became very clear this year that Douglas and Campbell are two guys that can get you turnovers. We have very few others on this defense that will do that. Savage needs to be replaced by someone with better instincts and ball skills and another guy in the front seven that will create turnovers must be found yet. Alexander for as good a cover CB that he is doesn't create turnovers. The CB on the other side or the slot must be one of those TO machines. Douglas and Campbell must be re-signed imo even if it means releasing both of the Smiths.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it became very clear this year that Douglas and Campbell are two guys that can get you turnovers. We have very few others on this defense that will do that. Savage needs to be replaced by someone with better instincts and ball skills and another guy in the front seven that will create turnovers must be found yet. Alexander for as good a cover CB that he is doesn't create turnovers. The CB on the other side or the slot must be one of those TO machines. Douglas and Campbell must be re-signed imo even if it means releasing both of the Smiths.
Remember Peanut Tillman. He was a turnover machine. Alexander looked gun shy in the playoff game. Not sure if it was rust or just afraid to hit someone and reinjure his shoulder.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers does leave, then definitely load up the defense.

The money allocated to re-signing Campbell and Douglas would be huge.

Restructure the contracts for Zadarius and Preston Smith.

From there? Sign Alexander to a satisfactory deal.

Use the assets from the Rodgers deal to add to the offense.

In a perfect world Rodgers restructures his contract for a 35M annually, with a huge signing bonus.

Adams would return and a couple more players could return.
I like what you are saying even though I have a couple of big differences. I'm hoping we trade ARod. Nothing personal. Just think it's the right time. I don't want to re-sign Campbell. I just don't think he will live up to the contract we would have to do. And I don't want to re-sign Zadarius. He is too much of a hit or miss scenario. He gets banged up a lot. And though he usually comes back in the game; I think it is too much of a risk for the money.

Members online

No members online now.