Clements to direct QBs...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Pete Dougherty - PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers are set to hire former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Tom Clements as their quarterbacks coach.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

An NFL source on Friday said McCarthy had chosen Clements over Steve Logan, the former head coach at East Carolina and a quarterbacks coach in NFL Europe for the past two seasons.

McCarthy interviewed both on Wednesday, and barring any last-minute snags, could announce Clements’ hiring as early as this weekend.

In choosing Clements, McCarthy put a premium on NFL coaching experience. Clements coached quarterbacks for New Orleans, Kansas City and Pittsburgh from 1997 to 2003, and was Buffalo’s offensive coordinator for the past two seasons. Logan never has coached in the NFL, though he has worked in NFL Europe the last two springs and has coached two future NFL quarterbacks, Jeff Blake and David Garrard, at East Carolina.

In Clements’ two seasons as offensive coordinator, Buffalo finished seventh in the NFL in points and 25th in yards in 2004, and 24th and 28th, respectively, in 2005.

The Bills’ offense struggled this year as it tried to break in second-year quarterback J.P. Losman as a starter. Losman finished with the NFL’s 33rd-ranked passer rating (64.9 points) and had a difficult year in which he was benched in midseason, returned after an injury to Kelly Holcomb, and then missed the final two games because of a shoulder injury.

Clements, 52, played quarterback in college at Notre Dame, for 12 seasons in the Canadian Football League, and for one, 1980, in the NFL with Kansas City.

I like this hire -- nice experience as a player and a coach. Having a former coordinator as QB coach is a good move -- IMO, though I also liked Logan.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
The only thing I have a concern about is Losman struggled this year.

I hear you net, but I have to believe that was more about Losman and injuries to the Bills offense than about Clements.

If you look at his experience as a QB and as a coach in its entirety -- I think you will agree that this is a very solid hire.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts