1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charles Woodson getting released

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by justcallmedaddy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Copy cat...I posted that on facebook years ago lol
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    What if the PAck just kept DD to avoid a Brett rerun? What if he truly couldnt beat out anyone and that is why he was benched...That is what I am pretty sure of..He couldnt beat anyone to make gameday rosters...

Woody IS NOT worth 10 mill a year...Why can't people figure that out..And instead of trying to keep him around for lesser amount the Packers didn't offer a contract..ot sure why but it is little confusing why they didnt..But I trust in them

OMG do a pick 6 on Rodgers to WIN in the playoffs....Wow is all I can say..If that happens, you better be ready for the bashing..

I LOVE woodson, he DD and Rod are my favorites...But even I can accept he was to old and wanted to much $$
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 54 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    My only guess is they didn't want to insult him with the contract they would have proposed. Still, it was probably worth a shot at least.

As for why people don't get it:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see from the diagram above, the brain is not involved in a knee-jerk reaction.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +388 / 7 / -0
    If the Packers can trade their #1 pick back a few for a high 2nd rounder + another pick (maybe a high 4th), and then take Matt Elam, then I this move would be a home run.

Elam has a good chance of being there early in the 2nd round. I'd like to have confidence in Morgan Burnett and Jeron Williams, but that's very iffy.

Not sure what team picking in the top-10 might want to trade their #2 plus another pick with us however.
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +757 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    - Rooting for Woodson to get a pick 6 against Rodgers to show us up? Cmon...that sounds like the scores of bitter "Packer" fans after the whole Favre fiasco. I thought if we learned anything from that whole saga, its that the team comes before the player, 53 times out of 53.

- Driver was loved here and I am sure benching him was not easy. But to call it a mistake, I think that the coaches who made that call probably have a little more insight into the ability of every WR on the team than we do. Even from a fan standpoint, can you really make the case that Driver deserved to play over any of Jennings, Nelson, Cobb or Jones?

- Woodson was cut because he would have made 11 million dollars this year and there isnt a GM on the planet that would pay him that at this point in his career. Strictly business, nothing more. Even Woodson's agent said that. I cant understand why people still are surprised every time TT makes a tough business decision. Every player's run here ends sometime, whether it be by retirement or release. Someday Aaron Rodgers won't be a Packer anymore either.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +924 / 16 / -9
    What a fantastic picture!!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Well I could give you a disagree but I'll just do it here. I don't think we will miss Woodson that much if at all. Also, don't overlook the benefits of having an additional $10 million in cap room for 2013. I wish him the best as I stated but I never cheer for an ex-Packer to do well when he becomes our opposition.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58 / 12 / -7
    The key question is that: is Woodson worth $10 million? However, it's not that clear cut a negative. IF he is chronically injured to the point another broken collarbone is likely or he has to not play like his old self on purpose to avoid another break, then yes, he's not worth $10 million. But IF it's just a matter of quality diminished by age, then I think even with that slight slowing down, he's better than anybody else we have and well worth $10 million. I don't know which way it is, maybe Thompson does. I HOPE that is the basis for his decision, not just cheapness for cheapness sake. As for the cap situation, $10 million is a lot, but they can always juggle things around to get to where they need to be.
  9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Rodgers gets less then what Woody wants
  10. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 16 / -7
    thought we already had for most of the season anyway ? Can we really think we can fill this position with free agency or the draft this year ? Obviously you guys in the states see more than us overseas, but I watched the seniors game this year and didn`t really see anybody outstanding. Any serious contenders ?
  11. UtPacker

UtPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    They should have at least made him an offer. That guy is hardcore-dedicated to the team. Matthews had better have a great year and step up to prove his new deal is worth letting Wood go.
  12. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,868 / 48 / -17
    Calling Driver one of the Packers’ best WRs is funny at this point. Jones was better than Driver in 2011 and so was Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb. With the benefit of hindsight it should be obvious to any serious fan Driver should not have been paid $2.3M this season. As mentioned many times now, he was a healthy inactive on a team with WRs inactive because of injury. That’s a clue that shouldn’t be too hard to decipher for a thinking fan.

Why is it some of the fans complaining about Woodson’s release don’t seem to acknowledge his 2013 salary and the consequence of retaining him on the cap? Why don’t they detail which players will have to be let go if they retain him? Even beyond the cash and cap considerations, thinking a 37 year-old Woodson is worth $10M in 2013 is just nuts IMO.

There are legitimate reasons to criticize Thompson but some of the fans who criticize his every “controversial” or unpopular move reveal themselves as Favre-first fans IMO. How else can you explain their extreme bias against a GM who led the franchise to a championship? How else can you explain them ignoring the cash and salary cap consequences of these moves? How else can you explain them posting they hope former Packers perform well against the Packers? After all, for them Favre was/is the franchise. Now that their idol is officially retired, what the hell they’re rooting for is beyond me. Perhaps they’re just waiting for his number to be retired and then they’ll be on their way to another franchise? Maybe the Jets or Vikings?

Back to Woodson; check out Tom Oates’ column:
    http://host.madison.com/sports/colu...cle_0a198da4-77d1-11e2-ba5c-001a4bcf887a.html
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +110 / 14 / -1
    Elam is the only guy that came to play vs louisville he made every play and pretty much every tackel in that game it seemed. If you want a hitter that can Tackel he is your man!!! He will be missed. Now on another bad note the vikings and bears seem to like to pick gators.:poop:
  14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,308 / 65 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    We're all accustomed to cursing bankers by now.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 54 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    There are only 3, true FS in this years draft, and they're all slated for the first 2 rounds. There are another 4 guys who are basically Burnett clones, who we may be able to get as low as the third, and everybody else is a box safety that we don't need.

Take into account that we ask a lot from our Safeties (complicated Defense reliant on speed at that position) and it could be a while before we get somebody on the level. Took Collins 4 years (though he was a CB convert)

Elam doesn't tackle, he hits. Going to need a LOT of coaching to get him to actually tackle. Still would fit what we like to do with our Safeties.
  16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +578 / 31 / -20
    Woodson will always have a special place in my heart. It is very rare that your favorite player from your favorite college team wins a Super Bowl with your favorite pro team. He might be my favorite Packer of all-time.

With that being said, $10M is a huge cap number for a 36 year old defensive back. The money is needed to resign Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,388 / 7 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    How can you just say goodbye to a legend and the heart and soul of your team. I am almost ashamed to admit I teared up when I heard the news. I'm not going to lie and say a part of me didn't see it coming but I always thought Woodson would retire as a Packer. I understand management had to do what's best for the team and put the team first but this was even worse to take than losing DD.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Hype

Hype Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35 / 2 / -0
    i slammed my keyboard down when i heard the news....

to make matter worse, i wore my Woodson jersey to work yesterday :( so i had to put up with alot of crap from the co-workers
  19. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 16 / -7
    Because it`s business Kitten. He was a great Packer but would just cost us too much. I think though with two seperate serious injuries, he`s being a bit optomistic thinking a Serious contender picking him up for what he expects to be paid IMHO
  20. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,388 / 7 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Understood. Which is why I stated I kind of saw it coming though I very much dreaded it. It's going to be hard to imagine the Packers without Woodson but I understand they did what they had to do.
  21. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Just talk about FACTS, baby

Ratings:
    +301 / 36 / -5
    Packer Fan Since:
    I gotta say, I still rooted for Darren Sharper after he got released; never against the Pack though. Any time he did something good against them I apologized for rooting for him the rest of the season under my breath.
  22. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +924 / 16 / -9
    You should see us when we drink to excess...it ain't pretty.
  23. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,868 / 48 / -17
    In the thread on the Packers’ needs, I quoted this blog from jsonline:
    IMO this goes a long way toward explaining what the front office was thinking regarding Woodson. Add the fact that Hayward had a great rookie season as the slot CB which was Woodson’s spot in the nickel.

Many of us were blessed to have witnessed the Lombardi years. Younger fans who missed that era have been blessed to have watched two of the best defenders ever to play the game, Reggie White and Charles Woodson, wear the Green & Gold and help the franchise add championships twelve and thirteen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think Woodson will choose to go into the Hall of Fame as a Packer. I'll be proud on that day. Great Packer player.
  25. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +757 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    My understanding is that a player goes into the HOF as an individual, not under the designation of a member of any team.
    • Agree Agree x 1