Changes to 2008 Draft

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To sum up the article below, the starting time has been moved from noon EDT to 3pm on Saturday and 11am to 10am on Sunday. Round 1 has been shortened from 15 min per pick to 10 and round 2 has been shortened from 10 min per pick to 7. Also Saturday will only be rounds 1-2 and Sunday rounds 3-7.

NFL cuts time between draft picks in first and second rounds
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- The NFL announced several revisions to its annual college draft on Tuesday, including cutting the time between picks in the first round of selections.

The time allocated for each club to make selections in the first round of the draft has been reduced from 15 minutes to 10 after a 2007 record round of 6 hours and 8 minutes. The NFL also moved the starting time of the draft from noon EDT to 3 p.m. and limited the first day to two rounds instead of three.

"We believe this will make for a more streamlined and efficient draft," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement issued during the league owners meetings in Philadelphia.

The changes also apply to the second round, which will go from 10 minutes to seven between choices for next year's draft, which will be held April 26-27 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

In recent years, teams have often used most of the 15 minutes in the first round, entertaining trade offers or making them.

The time between picks will stay at five minutes for the last five rounds, which will take place on Sunday. The second day of the draft will now start at 10 a.m. instead of 11.

Both draft days will be televised by ESPN and the NFL Network.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about time. I never understood why it takes 15 minutes to make your pick. I mean, they spend all year deciding who to pick, and if that guy is gone who would be next on their list. When the Packers picked in the first 5, i would watch it on TV. Anytime it's been later then that, i just come back to see who they picked. I just can't sit there and watch NOTHING happening for 6 hours.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank god like cheesey said i dont see y it takes u 15mins to pick a guy u been looking at for 1 year Also i dont have to get up a Dumb *** english times to watch the draft

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike my college days, when this was an excuse to sit in front of the TV and eat and drink beer all day long, I now have a life and family. I would try to figure out roughly when GB would be picking and tune in around that time if I was available, if not, I just caught it later.

Now, I may be somewhat more inclined to watch more of the coverage, especially if the weather is not that great.

Members online

Latest posts