Am I The Only One Who Is Mad...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That the Packers actually kept that last punt in bounds? You have a ten point lead with less than a minute and a half to go. The oppenent has no time outs. Why wouldn't you either kick the ball out of bounds or just blast it out of the end zone? Why would keep the ball any where near the field?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Should have snapped it to the personal protector. I think Kuhn could have gotten the four yards and it would have caught Chi flatfooted just like their return of the same punt caught GB. Did they have dual returners or what? I didn't notice Hester and Knox on the return unit earlier in the game.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have snapped it to the personal protector. I think Kuhn could have gotten the four yards and it would have caught Chi flatfooted just like their return of the same punt caught GB. Did they have dual returners or what? I didn't notice Hester and Knox on the return unit earlier in the game.

They had duel returners and some how convinced 10 of 11 Packers to run the wrong way. Everything went wrong on that play.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good point. They should have. If that play had gone to the dark side for us, it could of cost Mastay his jersey. Or did MM tell him to do that. I can't imagine he'd take the chance. He'd have to be super confident in the ST and I just don't see that. That was one hell of a gamble. We are lucky for that holding call.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well, except the holding call!
That's a good point. They should have. If that play had gone to the dark side for us, it could of cost Mastay his jersey. Or did MM tell him to do that. I can't imagine he'd take the chance. He'd have to be super confident in the ST and I just don't see that. That was one hell of a gamble. We are lucky for that holding call.

Well I bet Mastay was screaming it to the other ten guys all the way down to the goal line.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm only guessing but I would imagine all STs players are coached to watch for the players receiving the ball. All the players were focused on where they thought it was going.
Truth be told, it was a brilliant ST play by the Bears. They knew the keys for our players and fooled them. Nobody in the stands or the punter had a chance to yell or alert the players the play was to the other side, they were all faced downfield. The punt was over their heads and the keys for defending the return probably has to do with the reaction of the receiving team. I'm a little confused Masthay didn't tell anybody he was going left though.
Great, great ST play by the Bears, thank goodness there was the hold on the gunner.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
My head is starting to spin. Does the receiving team have to declare which player will be receiving the ball and does that player have to receive it? I don't think so. The issue here seems to be the holding call, not which player elected to receive the ball and which player didn't. That was a trick play. The Bears tried to confuse our ST but switching up which player they thought was receiving the ball. The fail came because somebody was holding. I'm just making sure I don't have my rules confused. I'm sure the receiving team has somebody appointed, they can't just say kick it and have a free for all like a jump ball. That would be madness. Now things happen on punts where the intended receiver doesn't wind up with the ball but that doesn't happen that often. This play with the Bears was intentional. With the Bears it's almost automatically assumed it's going to Hester. It has me wondering if there isn't some kind of rule with this and the number of eligible receivers they have to return the punt.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
My head is starting to spin. Does the receiving team have to declare which player will be receiving the ball and does that player have to receive it? I don't think so. The issue here seems to be the holding call, not which player elected to receive the ball and which player didn't. That was a trick play. The Bears tried to confuse our ST but switching up which player they thought was receiving the ball. The fail came because somebody was holding. I'm just making sure I don't have my rules confused. I'm sure the receiving team has somebody appointed, they can't just say kick it and have a free for all like a jump ball. That would be madness. Now things happen on punts where the intended receiver doesn't wind up with the ball but that doesn't happen that often. This play with the Bears was intentional. With the Bears it's almost automatically assumed it's going to Hester. It has me wondering if there isn't some kind of rule with this and the number of eligible receivers they have to return the punt.
Every member of the receiving team (Bears) is eligible. The holding call came against the Bears early in the play when the Packers "gunner" (who is the guy racing down the sidelines looking for a direct shot at the receiver) was held. It was tricky because the kicking team has to take it's cues from the reactions of the receiving team. While the ball is in the air it makes sense to cue on the opposing team's players.
True that the receiving team has a designated returner, but every ST player knows that the kicking team might try something tricky like kicking to the receiving team's bigger guys. (Like what happened against New England last year)
There is no rule you're considering. It's legal for any of the receiving team to advance the ball. It was an exceptional ruse by the Bears to take what they know about the game and cue points to misdirect the Packers. It was gutsy, chancy and bold and it almost worked except for the holding call.
It was for all intents and purposes a brilliant play. We were very lucky to have survived that call. That play was made up some time ago, probably with the playoffs in mind.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every member of the receiving team (Bears) is eligible. The holding call came against the Bears early in the play when the Packers "gunner" (who is the guy racing down the sidelines looking for a direct shot at the receiver) was held. It was tricky because the kicking team has to take it's cues from the reactions of the receiving team. While the ball is in the air it makes sense to cue on the opposing team's players.
True that the receiving team has a designated returner, but every ST player knows that the kicking team might try something tricky like kicking to the receiving team's bigger guys. (Like what happened against New England last year)
There is no rule you're considering. It's legal for any of the receiving team to advance the ball. It was an exceptional ruse by the Bears to take what they know about the game and cue points to misdirect the Packers. It was gutsy, chancy and bold and it almost worked except for the holding call.
It was for all intents and purposes a brilliant play. We were very lucky to have survived that call. That play was made up some time ago, probably with the playoffs in mind.

Wish I could give you 10 likes, you explained that perfectly! I thought I had a good idea of it but that play was a bit confusing. I'm sure it confused the Packers ST as well as the Bears confusing themselves! I'm just so glad it worked out in our favor. If it wasn't for that hold, oh Lord have mercy on our souls!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Wish I could give you 10 likes, you explained that perfectly! I thought I had a good idea of it but that play was a bit confusing. I'm sure it confused the Packers ST as well as the Bears confusing themselves! I'm just so glad it worked out in our favor. If it wasn't for that hold, oh Lord have mercy on our souls!
To be honest, the only people in the world who weren't confused were the Bears ST unit. That Kitten....
was professional football at it's best. An absolutely brilliant play call and execution by the Bears. I'll remember that play forever. I hate the heck out of the Bears but oh my goodness, that's why I respect them from time to time.