All Capers Threads merged

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or how about last game? Against Atlanta?
Falcons only scored in the 2nd quarter of that game. I think they really only benefitted from blown assignments/ broken coverage, one score was a pick-6. That was more of a complete game than one that needed to be adjusted at half.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to give Capers credit when the Cowboys put up 26 points while averaging more than eight yards a carry in the first half. I'd like to give credit to the Cowboys coaching staff for running the ball seven times in the second half with a 23 point lead... and DeMarco Murray averaging 7.6 yards/carry. With that being said I was very happy to see the defense get some turnovers and pressures.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How far have our standards for a competitive defense dropped if we are supposed to be impressed by games where we gave up nearly 500 yards and 36 points?

Shields and Tramon made season-saving plays, at least for the moment, no doubt. But this was about the 5th out of the last 6 games where our defense has been absolutely gashed on the ground. Inexplicably, the Cowboys got away from it late.

Take the emotion of the game out of the equation and realize that if the last INT hadn't happened and the Cowboys had driven down for the winning FG, Capers is still under a ton of fire today.

If you look at the play-by-play, we were no more effective stopping Murray in the 2nd half than the 1st half. The only one who stopped him was the Cowboys. They just took the ball completely out of his hands.

I'm not saying it's hopeless, just that we do have to take the emotion out of it and realize we are still looking for solutions on how to stop opposing ground games. The "clog it up" approach with Pickett and Raji is just not working. On the bright side, I was impressed with Josh Boyd yesterday. Frankly, I'm more impressed with Boyd than I've been impressed with Raji the entire season.

Preach brother Preach!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too slow in game or too slow over the season? He adjusted and they won. They only allowed 10 points to a pretty good offense this week in the second half.

The key to the game was the Cowboys going away from the run. The running in the second half breaks down as follows:
  • 3rd Quarter: Murray had four carries for 17 yards (4+ yards/carry)
  • 4th Quarter: Murray had two carries for 9 yards (4.5 yards/carry)
Even after "adjustments" Murray was averaging over four yards/carry

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The key to the game was the Cowboys going away from the run. The running in the second half breaks down as follows:
  • 3rd Quarter: Murray had four carries for 17 yards (4+ yards/carry)
  • 4th Quarter: Murray had two carries for 9 yards (4.5 yards/carry)
Even after "adjustments" Murray was averaging over four yards/carry
Yes, my point was they went away from the run because of the scheme the Packers D was employing.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Falcons only scored in the 2nd quarter of that game. I think they really only benefitted from blown assignments/ broken coverage, one score was a pick-6. That was more of a complete game than one that needed to be adjusted at half.
Soooooo...... no credit for scheme?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, my point was they went away from the run because of the scheme the Packers D was employing.

What scheme is this exactly that has scared defenses from running the ball against us, and why haven't we been employing this the last 6 weeks?

I don't buy it, regardless of what Garrett may have said. It was just bad playcalling.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This proves my point.
Packers win. Players get the credit.
Packers lose. It is ALL Dom Capers fault. Not the players for not executing. Capers.
This is why I have the sig that I have.

It's a stupid point. How do we determine whether failure is the result of players not executing or shortcomings in the scheme?

Any coach will claim that if his plan is executed properly, the team will succeed. But no game plan is perfect and mistake-free execution is a fantasy. When players aren't executing, much of that is on the coaching staff and, as a practical matter, you can't fix the entire roster in a single off-season. It's much easier to try to breathe some life into a unit through a change in coordinator...

Big picture: our blitzes aren't getting home and all the zone coverage is ****ing infuriating. We could use some new ideas and fresh energy from the defensive coordinator. Dallas regularly blows games they shouldn't. A good half of football against less-than-savvy opposing coaches doesn't change this.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas scored how many points and gained how many yards? And you want Capters exonerated? No, just no. If it hadn't been for some nice INTs and a clutch performance by Mr. Flynn and Mr. Lacy, we'd be calling for Capers' head immediately following the game yet again.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
What scheme is this exactly that has scared defenses from running the ball against us, and why haven't we been employing this the last 6 weeks?

I don't buy it, regardless of what Garrett may have said. It was just bad playcalling.
Are you kidding me? He said it: they were stacking the box with one high safety. That's an unfriendly scheme for running the football. It doesn't matter that they were successful before that, that's a tough road to go for any RB including Eddie Lacy. Why is this difficult for you to understand? Capers schemed against the run so they passed, you'd rather believe the coaches were just stupid but that's stupid to assume so. Capers gave them the look to pass and took the run out of it. Why oh why is this so hard to accept?
Look Adam, you can decide to defend the run or the pass and you will have mixed results depending on what the offense does. If you defend the run and they pass then you have weakened yourself. If you play coverage and defend the pass then you leave yourself vulnerable to the run. It's how football is played ya know?
The Packers (and Dom Capers) decided to sell out and defend the run and that put the Cowboys in a position to try to gain very tough yards on the ground or take advantage of the passing opportunities the Packers allowed. They gambled on the latter and lost. A few dropped balls and a few poor passes killed them.
They might have tried to run but the Packers were set to defend that first and foremost. Good lord, what would it take for anybody to open their eyes and see this was a well coached win?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Credit for scheme. Just stating that I didn't think it was a point of half time adjustments that won the game.
Okay NWCH, let's just say they made the adjustments right after the Packers second half drive. Would that make you feel better?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Seems like fans like to conveniently forget that we have injuries.
I mean, crikey! Even Clay was out for a few weeks, Packers lose, it's all Capers fault.
Maybe we are simply outplayed by other teams who have the majority of their star players including the QB on offense?
Naw. That can't be it either. All Capers fault.

I really can't believe some of you fans.
Packers lose. Fire Capers!! thread gets dusted off and brought back and gets re-bumped for a few weeks.
Packers win. Hardly any agreement or if there is, it's very reluctant agreement, that Capers should get any due credit.
"Well, yeah. I guess he did something. Maybe. Sort of. But let's give credit to the players instead."
SMH
Wow, lots of defensive butthurt there. Check my post history, I usually defend Capers. Know the official position of those you criticize, otherwise you get the "Assume" quote. We've both been here long enough that you should at least have an inkling. I stay away from the Fire Capers! thread because there's no listening there.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to be persistent in giving Capers credit and showing the errors of the ways of why he is not to be blamed.
It really is something that the majority of fans keep on insisting to not give him any credit for the wins.
(Kudos to the few of you that do.)
If he isn't fired or the Packers themselves don't blame him for the losses then why should we want him fired or blame him?
As I've mentioned before and I'll mention again: We are not part of the Packers organization. So we really have no first hand knowledge of what goes on in the coach's offices.
The fans reactions of wanting Capers fired are wrong.
What will it take for you to give Capers credit? A 2,000-0 win for the Packers?
Maybe some of you are just really hard to please and like to complain and somehow throwing around blame even after a win gives you some sort of satisfaction?

Here are two parts of opinion pieces with other well done perspectives which illustrates why Capers is not to blame.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/b...es-nothing-for-Green-Bay-Packers-defense.html

So what has changed between now and the 2010 season? Why was there such a steep drop-off from the Super Bowl run of 2010 to the near-perfect season of 2011 that ended with a second-round loss at Lambeau Field to the New York Giants?
Has Capers lost his mind?
No.
He just lost his team.
Of the 25 defensive players who were credited with a sack, interception, forced fumble or fumble recovery in 2010, only 11 remain with the Packers today.
Of the 14 who have since moved on, seven were released or not re-signed in free agency immediately after the Super Bowl win.
Only five starters from 2010 — linebackers A.J. Hawk and Clay Matthews, defensive back Tramon Williams, and defensive linemen B.J. Raji and Ryan Pickett — are still on the roster this season.
Many of the 14 players Packers general manager Ted Thompson let go over the past three seasons have a history of injuries, with former Green Bay free safety Nick Collins leaving football because of a severe neck injury.
Yet, eight of the 14 — including four starters from 2010 — are still in the NFL. That group includes cornerback Charles Woodson, defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, and linebackers Desmond Bishop, Nick Barnett and Frank Zombo.
Individually, none of these players are overly impressive at this point in their careers. But together, the Packers had a dominant group of defenders that could carry the team if, say, a certain MVP quarterback got injured.
Thompson was probably right in thinking each player’s individual skill set was easy to replace with a younger, healthier, cheaper body. What he didn’t take into account was the value their chemistry and experience held.
Don’t blame Capers for missed tackles, blown assignments and worse communication on the defensive side of the ball. He’s doing the best he can with what Thompson left him, which isn’t much.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...pson-not-Capers-defensive-woes?nclick_check=1

The Green Bay Packers’ defense has been a disappointment this season, but calls for coordinator Dom Capers’ head are irrational.
Sacking Capers in midseason, which has been suggested by a portion of the fan base in recent weeks, will not generate better tackling, improved coverage or a more vigorous pass rush.
A coach’s job is to put his team in position to succeed, but then it’s up to the players to produce on the field.
Is it Capers’ fault that Packers defensive backs can’t make plays on the ball, and then turn sure interceptions into opponent touchdowns?
Is it Capers’ fault that would-be tacklers get juked out of their socks by opposing running backs and turn short gains into long runs?
Is it Capers’ fault that he is forced to use below-average talent at one of the safety positions?
Is it Capers’ fault that the injury-ravaged linebacker corps has been rendered null and void at times with rookies trying to fill major roles?
When something goes wrong on defense, as it frequently has this season, the easy way out is to blame everything on the coordinator.
Of course, Capers should be held accountable for his role in the operation, and his coaching performance will be evaluated at season’s end like it is every year.
But the Packers’ defensive woes go well beyond Capers. It starts with personnel, and the buck stops at the desk of general manager Ted Thompson.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, lots of defensive butthurt there. Check my post history, I usually defend Capers. Know the official position of those you criticize, otherwise you get the "Assume" quote. We've both been here long enough that you should at least have an inkling. I stay away from the Fire Capers! thread because there's no listening there.
My apologies.
I didn't mean it at you personally. I was echoing or piggybacking off of your thoughts.
And the second part was for the general members and not at you directly or at all.
Again, my sincere apologies for any misunderstanding on my end.

Thank you for clarifying your position on this subject.
We cool? :cool:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? He said it: they were stacking the box with one high safety. That's an unfriendly scheme for running the football. It doesn't matter that they were successful before that, that's a tough road to go for any RB including Eddie Lacy. Why is this difficult for you to understand? Capers schemed against the run so they passed, you'd rather believe the coaches were just stupid but that's stupid to assume so. Capers gave them the look to pass and took the run out of it. Why oh why is this so hard to accept?
Look Adam, you can decide to defend the run or the pass and you will have mixed results depending on what the offense does. If you defend the run and they pass then you have weakened yourself. If you play coverage and defend the pass then you leave yourself vulnerable to the run. It's how football is played ya know?
The Packers (and Dom Capers) decided to sell out and defend the run and that put the Cowboys in a position to try to gain very tough yards on the ground or take advantage of the passing opportunities the Packers allowed. They gambled on the latter and lost. A few dropped balls and a few poor passes killed them.
They might have tried to run but the Packers were set to defend that first and foremost. Good lord, what would it take for anybody to open their eyes and see this was a well coached win?

Why oh why is it so hard for you to understand that allowing 6 YPC in the second half was NOT us stopping the run?

Are you that blinded by Garretts' explanation? Of course he's going to try to chalk up Dallas' lack of rushing attempts to the one high safety. What did you expect him to say, "I blew it?". You're telling me that a team that has failed to stop the run the last half of this season can just make a good running team stop trying because of a single safety in the box? Laughable explanation. Even the Packers were baffled as to why the Cowboys stopped trying, several said as much.

Troy and Buck and every "expert" and analyst out there (since you like to use that argument) questioned why Dallas stopped running in the second half. Yet here you are, apparently chalking it all up to our intimidating high safety in the box.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/16/garrett-admits-cowboys-abandoned-running-game-in-second-half/

Here's a good article that you will conveniently ignore, with Garrett admitting that they should have run more in the second half and also stating the Packers changed NOTHING about their defensive look in the second half. Do you honestly believe that Dallas is the FIRST team in the last 6 weeks that we've tried to scheme to take the rushing game away?

I have little interest in getting into another long winded argument with you. You clearly think you're just smarter than me and most other on football related matters and nothing I say is going to change your mind.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers committed to stop run in the second half but i think had Dallas continued to run the ball we lose. If anything Dallas deserves more credit for making the adjustment to try to throw the ball up by 23 pts. BTW Raji and Pickett should never play again on passing downs...that was the biggest adjustment that worked.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, Garrett doesn't call plays. He was stripped of that duty.

No, but he can certainly pull Bill Callahan aside and tell him to get his head out of his ***, so it's ultimately his fault either way.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I`m so relieved I got to use this :D

Members online

Latest posts