All Capers Threads merged

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let Capers go and draft nasty players on the defense. I'm gonna get flak for this but I want a guy like Suh. He doesn't have to be as dirty as Suh, but just someone that plays tough. Raji rubs me off as soft. Hawk and Jones don't scare anyone. Draft safety, ILB and DL early.

I am in NJ so I hear a few people here that want to get rid of Rex Ryan. I don't like the guy and he is an *** but I would love to have him as a DC. I just feel like he could challenge this defense to become a tougher squad. I don't think he will be available but I want a DC with fire and more importantly a change.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must be in the NJ water... can't agree more. Born & bred in God's country with a Packer tattoo on the inside of my skin, but I can't stand all this girly talk about #52's hit on Kap, Aaron waiting to heal 100% (its not his arm, knees, joints), patience with sucking, sitting Rodgers, or waiting n seeing if we truly do suck year after year. I was born in 69.... we waiting for 25 years!!

I don't know who we need but our D has stunk for many, many years. I thought the return of a healthy front 7 validated our patience with Capers. I was so wrong. If I see another LB 20 yards down field I'm going to need a new TV for Christmas.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey sunshine- You're making my point. Our D was Top 5 after the first five games: Niners, Skins, Cincy, Lions! & Ravens. Since... Browns, Vyqueens, Da Bears, Eagles, Giants! (omg), Vyqueens again! & Lions. Now our D is ranked in the 20's... it's an average. Which means we've gone to dead last or near dead last in Oct & Nov. Against crap teams our D is getting blown out. Who are those Top Offenses again? You do realize that our crappy D helped their stats, right?!

No, you must have read my post incorrectly. People weren't complaining about the defense when we were playing San Fran (28th in offense), Washington (7th), Cinc (12th), Lions (minus Calvin), Baltimore (29th), Cleveland (21st) and Minn (14th). After Roders went down we played Chicago (8th), Philly (3rd), Giants (27th), Minn (14th), Detroit (2nd). So we went from playing one top 10 offense with Rodgers to playing 3 top 10 offenses without and our defense is only giving up 6 more points per game. What crap offenses have we played against since Rodgers went down? I count ONE below average offense.

And every team has played 12 games this year, one game played against the Packers isn't inflating anyones stats that much.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must be in the NJ water... can't agree more. Born & bred in God's country with a Packer tattoo on the inside of my skin, but I can't stand all this girly talk about #52's hit on Kap, Aaron waiting to heal 100% (its not his arm, knees, joints), patience with sucking, sitting Rodgers, or waiting n seeing if we truly do suck year after year. I was born in 69.... we waiting for 25 years!!

I don't know who we need but our D has stunk for many, many years. I thought the return of a healthy front 7 validated our patience with Capers. I was so wrong. If I see another LB 20 yards down field I'm going to need a new TV for Christmas.

You must have been looking at the wrong jerseys if you saw a healthy front seven somewhere :D

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'll recall our D was Top 5 by early October. The Packers' D is now 23rd in points, 24th in yards, 22nd in passing, 26th in rushing. We know we suck at math in this country, but its hard to argue the D hasn't tanked to the bottom since early October.

Who have we played? The average offensive rank (in points, not yards) is 12 for the first five teams (nfl.com) and 15 for the last seven teams. But 49rs were not a 30/32 type offense in Sept (yes, their 30th is in that 15th average), Skins won big in week 1 but we clobbered them in week 2, Cincy was a SB pick in Sept, etc.

In the back half of the YTD season: Lions are 12th in total offensive points, but fall to 22nd if they scored 20pts against us, not 40. We helped out a handful of teams in the last 5 weeks also, scoring over 30 pts routinely.

How can you defend our D when the YTD ranks put us on the bottom fifth of the league? Regarding the healthy front 7... Capers has gotten heavy doses of the front 7 picks in the last 3 yrs. It was supposed to be a strength of ours even if a third of these 1st, 2nd n 3rd rounders got injured. How could it not be? Not sure, but they do not help the minion Dbacks as they scramble to figure out who to cover.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'll recall our D was Top 5 by early October. The Packers' D is now 23rd in points, 24th in yards, 22nd in passing, 26th in rushing. We know we suck at math in this country, but its hard to argue the D hasn't tanked to the bottom since early October.

Who have we played? The average offensive rank (in points, not yards) is 12 for the first five teams (nfl.com) and 15 for the last seven teams. But 49rs were not a 30/32 type offense in Sept (yes, their 30th is in that 15th average), Skins won big in week 1 but we clobbered them in week 2, Cincy was a SB pick in Sept, etc.

In the back half of the YTD season: Lions are 12th in total offensive points, but fall to 22nd if they scored 20pts against us, not 40. We helped out a handful of teams in the last 5 weeks also, scoring over 30 pts routinely.

How can you defend our D when the YTD ranks put us on the bottom fifth of the league? Regarding the healthy front 7... Capers has gotten heavy doses of the front 7 picks in the last 3 yrs. It was supposed to be a strength of ours even if a third of these 1st, 2nd n 3rd rounders got injured. How could it not be? Not sure, but they do not help the minion Dbacks as they scramble to figure out who to cover.

I'm not trying to defend the D, i think they stink. However I think people are forgetting that we've played some VERY impressive offenses recently and our defense hasn't been giving up a ton more points despite being burdened with the Jacksonville Jaguard offense. We played the Lions earlier without Calvin Johnson which is basically like playing the Dolphins. We played an Eagles team that is VASTLY superior to what they were with Vick at QB, heck, even the Giants have improved since Andre Brown came back. Thursday games are always weird so I'm not willing to weigh the Lions debacle quite as heavily as other games.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...patience with sucking, sitting Rodgers, or waiting n seeing if we truly do suck year after year. I was born in 69.... we waiting for 25 years!!

I don't know if this entire post was meant to be funny but if not: Who is being patient "with sucking" or waiting to see if "we" suck year after year? And what have you been waiting for, for 25 years? A good defense? If so, you missed a good defense in 2010 and you missed a great defense in 1996.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/4511/players-defend-dom-capers-scheme

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- You can find people willing to criticize Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers in a variety of places.

On talk radio.

In internet chats.

The Packers are backing defensive coordinator Dom Capers despite their recent losing streak.And perhaps most vocally on Twitter.

But you'd have a hard time finding many in the Packers' locker room.

From young players to veterans alike, Capers' players defended him this week as the Packers' non-winning streak -- and their defensive struggles -- have continued.

Just five weeks ago, the Packers defense was on the verge of cracking the top 10. It was ranked 11th in total yards allowed per game and had reached as high as third against the run.

The swoon to 24th in yards, 26th against the run and 22nd against the pass coincided with quarterback Aaron Rodgers' broken collarbone.

When the Packers needed their defense the most, it crumbled.

However, Capers still might be on the hot seat. He's believed to be in the final year of his deal, although the Packers don't reveal details of coaching staff contracts.

If he is on the hot seat, it probably isn't because his players have lost faith in his scheme. Another veteran, cornerback Tramon Williams, spoke with some hesitation on Thursday but in the end offered his support for his defensive coordinator of five years.

"Um, I mean it's been good," Williams said of Capers' scheme. "Obviously we won the Super Bowl with it. It's been around for a while. When you're struggling, you don't know what to think about it, and that's anybody. That's just part of the frustration going on with things.

"We're still buying into what's going on. It's going to be a struggle from both points -- coaches and players. It's not going to be one of those things where we're going to point fingers at the scheme or it's this. We're not going to do that."

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would give Super Shields and Tramon-Man some credit. We FINALLY started to get pressure on Romo in the second half. I actually give Mike McCarthy credit this week for some good play calling.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would give Super Shields and Tramon-Man some credit. We FINALLY started to get pressure on Romo in the second half. I actually give Mike McCarthy credit this week for some good play calling.
This proves my point.
Packers win. Players get the credit.
Packers lose. It is ALL Dom Capers fault. Not the players for not executing. Capers.
This is why I have the sig that I have.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This proves my point.
Packers win. Players get the credit.
Packers lose. It is ALL Dom Capers fault. Not the players for not executing. Capers.
This is why I have the sig that I have.

Of course Capers has now earned himself an extension.

. . . and Flynn has earned the starting spot when Rodgers returns.

Dom Capers is responsible, IMHO, for the players not executing. His responsibility is to have the players, trained, motivated, and in the correct alignment (scheme) to make the defense the best it can be. If a player is not executing - teach him better or put them on the bench.

Can't judge based on the latest small sample of work, you have to look at the big picture. In my view, the defense has not performed up to the talent level for most of this season. This is too little; too late. Even if the Packers go on to win the SB this year, I still have lost faith in Dom and think he needs to be replaced. If we win the SB? Maybe you do give him one more year, but maybe you encourage him on the side to think about retiring on 'top'.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Capers gets a good part of the blame for the incredibly bad first half performance of the D, and he gets a good part of the credit for the incredibly good second half performance. One of the most fun halves of football I’ve watched.

As to Capers future, I’ve called for him to be replaced. If the defense continues its play from the second half, the Packers will likely make the playoffs. And if they do and D continues to play like that, I’ll change my opinion. But that’s a lot of “ifs” for Capers.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were commenting during the Steeler/Bengal game last night that apparently **** Labeau is on the hot seat in Pittsburgh, as if the Steelers struggles on defense don't have anything to do with an aging roster, FA losses and injuries. It's "what have you done for me lately."
While I agree our defense has struggled since Rodgers went down, I don't think it's as much bad coaching or a lack of effort by the players as it might be the fact our offense has had so many three and outs. I think that was borne out in yesterday's second half. Offense sustains drives = defense gets off the field faster.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I give him credit for making Garrett abandon the running game.
I gave you a "winner" on this post. Many fans won't know that's true. Look in on Garrett's post game. He gives credit to the Packer D committing to stop the run (8, 9, 10 in the box). Capers haters won't want to admit it, but it was a huge part of the second half come back.
Go back and watch the game. Capers won this matchup. Holy second half adjustments Batman.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers also gets credit for finally changing scheme and personnel in the 2nd half. More man coverage was played and different defensive linemen were used more often.

That being said, I still think he should be gone.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well i think that this proves we can affort to play a little more man to man. It's no co-inky **** that the last two weeks we've gotten some tunovers when we play more man and not soft zone.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So is it Capers, or the talent? You can't blame both. FTR Shields INT we were sold out on the run, that was ALL Sammy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is it Capers, or the talent? You can't blame both. FTR Shields INT we were sold out on the run, that was ALL Sammy.
Seems like fans like to conveniently forget that we have injuries.
I mean, crikey! Even Clay was out for a few weeks, Packers lose, it's all Capers fault.
Maybe we are simply outplayed by other teams who have the majority of their star players including the QB on offense?
Naw. That can't be it either. All Capers fault.

I really can't believe some of you fans.
Packers lose. Fire Capers!! thread gets dusted off and brought back and gets re-bumped for a few weeks.
Packers win. Hardly any agreement or if there is, it's very reluctant agreement, that Capers should get any due credit.
"Well, yeah. I guess he did something. Maybe. Sort of. But let's give credit to the players instead."
SMH

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Capers also gets credit for finally changing scheme and personnel in the 2nd half. More man coverage was played and different defensive linemen were used more often.

That being said, I still think he should be gone.
Credit and then fire him. I have a feeling you're one of those kind of fans that thinks that firing everybody will bring a SB. Dude..... really?

Members online

No members online now.