All Capers Threads merged

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No idea. I don't think I saw him in ever and I heard nothing about an injury. Even Worthy was in on the last series.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No idea. I don't think I saw him in ever and I heard nothing about an injury. Even Worthy was in on the last series.

Ok so then you dont know if Capers is not allowing him on the field?

Not trying knock you, just want to know why he isnt playing and thought you heard something I didnt

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea why isn't Dhaytone Jones playing? why is a 1st round pick standing over on the sidelines with a thin defensive line? Did Jones even play? why are Teddys last two 1st round picks standing on the sidelines in crunch time? when no injury news was reported? hmmm??

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Cleveland just give the Packers a gift. This should be our off season hire at DC if he does not get a head coaching job. He runs the 3-4 turned around the Cardinals defense and turned Cleveland this year into one of the top defenses in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Browns haven´t fired Horton so far. It´s possible he´ll become their next head coach or that he´ll be released once a new head coach has been named, but so far nothing has happened with him.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but usually when you fire your HC his staff is gone as well. The new HC will want to bring in his guys. Wishful thinking on my part.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea why isn't Dhaytone Jones playing? why is a 1st round pick standing over on the sidelines with a thin defensive line? Did Jones even play? why are Teddys last two 1st round picks standing on the sidelines in crunch time? when no injury news was reported? hmmm??
Draft and develop. We did the draft part, now we are in the develop stage. If 'draft and immediately get an impact' was an option, I'm sure we would go that route.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but usually when you fire your HC his staff is gone as well. The new HC will want to bring in his guys. Wishful thinking on my part.

I'd be surprised if they didn't name Horton to HC. IMHO I think the Packers should promote from within. Maybe make Tyrgo a DC and promote Kevin Greene to OLB/Assistant DC. I like KG but Im afraid he might be too spastic and too excitable to be a Defensive Coordinator.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft and develop. We did the draft part, now we are in the develop stage. If 'draft and immediately get an impact' was an option, I'm sure we would go that route.

Call me old fashioned but the 'draft' and 'develop' thing only works for me if it's a quarterback sorry. How many GM's draft a guy on defense in the first rd. and the guy hardly sees the field? It sure wasn't the case with Matthews or Perry so i'm not buying it for Jones.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but the 'draft' and 'develop' thing only works for me if it's a quarterback sorry. How many GM's draft a guy on defense in the first rd. and the guy hardly sees the field? It sure wasn't the case with Matthews or Perry so i'm not buying it for Jones.
?

Nick Collins, Sam Shields, Pickett, Daniels, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Johnny Jolly, Aaron Kampmann, Desmond Bishop . . .

All players who were marginal in their first season(s) as far as earning playing time and all developed into important contributors. As a matter of fact, I will say most players do not come in and provide an immediate impact. Players like Bahk and Hyde are exceptions and not the rule.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Horton and was hoping he would replace Dom last season. He has some nasty in his defenses and the players seem to really get fired up under him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense stopped the Bears. Kept 'em from racking up more points against us.
And, as always, no credit to Dom Capers.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so then you dont know if Capers is not allowing him on the field?

Not trying knock you, just want to know why he isnt playing and thought you heard something I didnt
I guess it was just my way of saying he didn't get much if any playing time on D yesterday. I would love to know why. Maybe the Big Unit has an answer for us.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, thank the powers that be that you all are just sitting there on your computers sharing only opinions and not in the Packers offices making decisions.
Our team would be in dire chaos if even a minority of Packer forum members were running the team instead.
I trust in the Packers organization.
As always, they will take a very close look at Dom at the end of the season and if they like what they see, they keep him.
If not, he goes. And either one is fine and dandy with me.

H

HardRightEdge

We may have a "single cause" fallacy here, a common issue when solving intractable problems.

One might want to consider that:

(1) Capers D is too complicated for young players still learning their trade. (e.g., these young LBs.)

(2) Capers D is too complicated for players without high intelligence, particularly in the back 8, or 9 as the case may be). (Burnett?)

(3) Certain defensive calls are just goofy. For example, who defends the goal line with only 2 down linemen?

(4) Certain players were drafted to play positions that do not optimize their potential (Neal, Perry, D. Jones?).

(5) Certain players just underachieve. (Raji, T. Williams)

(6) Certain guys are decent ballplayers but are not talented enough to compensate for the other shortcomings above. (Hawk, B. Jones)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
?

Nick Collins, Sam Shields, Pickett, Daniels, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Johnny Jolly, Aaron Kampmann, Desmond Bishop . . .

All players who were marginal in their first season(s) as far as earning playing time and all developed into important contributors. As a matter of fact, I will say most players do not come in and provide an immediate impact. Players like Bahk and Hyde are exceptions and not the rule.

I hear you and i agree but that's not what i'm arguing. My argument was based on where these guy's were drafted. Mainly Matthews and Perry on DEFENSE vs Jones. See what i mean? Because Matthews nor Perry was drafted to sit, both guy's played and started right away.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win or lose doesn't make him a good DC. We still had to score 33 pts to win. Capers needs to go.
Yeah, but still the defense kept it from being a blow out so that our offense could go out there, do it's job and get the win.
So shall we replace Dom with the Bears DC? Yeah, that would be a really great idea, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wouldn't even let Datone Jones step on the field. He also had Raji on the field nearly the entire game. He helped clean up on 1 single tackle. Other than that he sat there like a fat tub. The team has been really good the last few weeks when Datone, Daniels and Boyd were all in at the same time. I didn't see that trio once.

Disagree that Jones is being unfairly held out. Typically DLs need a year or two to figure out the pro game and so it makes sense to use him as a spot player, especially since he missed so much time in camp and during the pre-season. A kid like Datone Jones needs some time to fine tune his technique, watch film, figure out blocking schemes etc. Guys like JJ Watt and Suh are few and far between. See Mario Williams' first season, or for that matter Nick Fairley.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree that Jones is being unfairly held out. Typically DLs need a year or two to figure out the pro game and so it makes sense to use him as a spot player, especially since he missed so much time in camp and during the pre-season. A kid like Datone Jones needs some time to fine tune his technique, watch film, figure out blocking schemes etc. Guys like JJ Watt and Suh are few and far between. See Mario Williams' first season, or for that matter Nick Fairley.
The thing is that he has played in the last few weeks though and throughout the season for the most part. Why was he missing yesterday? I totally understand him developing over time but why was he no longer in the rotation yesterday?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you and i agree but that's not what i'm arguing. My argument was based on where these guy's were drafted. Mainly Matthews and Perry on DEFENSE vs Jones. See what i mean? Because Matthews nor Perry was drafted to sit, both guy's played and started right away.
Maybe Chandler Bing would be an option? (okay, there is a 'Mathew Perry' - Friends joke in there somewhere - best I can do at the moment)

There is a big difference between the top of the first and the bottom. I am not sure many 1st rounders step in and provide an impact immediately. Believe it or not, there is a lot of talent on the Packers DL. I fully realize they are not playing well but personally, I don't think it is a talent issue. Higher in the draft you can get more of an NFL-Ready impact player, but there really are only 3 to 6 per year of that category. Plus, if you are drafting high, your team usually sucks and it is much easier to start.

This season, Jolly was playing very well and Daniels appears to be developing into a pretty good player. This will limit Datone's opportunities. Yes, I would like to have seen more of him, but he has shown glimpses of being a pretty good player. I will wait at least another 2 season before saying if he is a player or not. 2 full offseasons and by his 3rd year we will know what we have in him.

PS: Also trying to figure out a joke for MD Jennings and Micah Hyde. Dr J. and Mr. Hyde. Good vrs Evil. Good play vrs bad play.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Our defense stopped the Bears. Kept 'em from racking up more points against us.
And, as always, no credit to Dom Capers.

We gave up 28 points. 10 straight games this season where we've surrendered over 21 points. There are still issues with tackling and giving up big plays.

We won in spite of the defense yesterday. Rodgers did what he does and carried us to a win.

Jay did what he normally does and that made it slightly easier for us. I don't believe simply because we won, and I'll admit I didn't think we'd make it this far, that this excuses Dom Capers or makes him a great coordinator.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like HRE, I don’t think Capers is the whole problem on defense but I think it’s time for a change at DC. There’s nothing wrong with defending Capers but I have a question for GeeDogWarrior: Does Capers’ history of joining a team, quickly turning around the defense and then seeing the defense decline concern you?

I thought I saw Datone on at least a couple of plays – I’ll have to pay closer attention when I watch the game again.

AmishMafia, word play aside, wouldn't Joey be a better option? Much tougher than Bing! And I hope your joke including Dr. Jennings is moot by the spring/summer. He needs to be replaced.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AmishMafia, word play aside, wouldn't Joey be a better option? Much tougher than Bing! And I hope your joke including Dr. Jennings is moot by the spring/summer. He needs to be replaced.
Yes, I think the pressure is on. Come up with a joke before Dr. J is slam dunked (see what I did there?) and cut next year.

I think the biggest upgrade the Packer defense can make for next season is a fresh face at DC. I think some of the position coaches should be gone as well - including Kevin Greene. Not sure why anyone thinks he should be the DC. Does not seem enough of the cerebral type for guiding the D. Other than CM3, who was instantly good so I'm not sure KG can take credit for his development, no OLB has yet to be developed by Greene. My issue with the overall defense is too many breakdowns. That is a result of poor coaching, IMHO.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts