2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not ready to mock him to us in the 1st just yet, but keep an eye on Jackson Powers-Johnson. If there isn't a CB at 25 that Gute particularly likes, JPJ ticks some boxes. He probably steps in as an immediate starter and upgrade at Center, bumps Myers to RG and keeps Tom at RT.

Not a sexy draft pick, but one that might set your starting OL in 1 pick and an improvement over 2023. Now if he likes a RT over JPJ, he could draft him, bump Tom to C and Myers to RG.

Whatever happens in the draft, I view Myers odds of being the starting C in Brazil at 50/50. Even a 25% chance he's traded/cut before then.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Myers? Sure, for proper compensation. Cut him? Not me. Even with the A. Dillard signing they still need depth on the OL. Myers is on his rookie deal. Surprisingly Runyan got 10 mil a year. To me that means there is a chance Myers could get enough for a 7th round comp when he hits FA the following year. As always this is just my opinion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be pleasantly surprised if 6 QBs go before pick 25.
It's very possible. I would not have believed it when the first mock drafts started arriving, but guys like Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr. are now appearing as first round selections, along with the "big three" - Williams, Daniels, Maye - and the fast-rising JJ McCarthy. That's 6 right there. Add in another 3 or 4 WRs, a TE, and a lot of talented players may still be available, likely will be available at #25. The Packers may have choices at OL and CB when they pick - well assuming they go that direction.

And I won't be surprised 6 QBs are chosen before #25. QB is so crucial to a winning team that GMs will do almost anything to get anyone with a lot of press - oh and some college accomplishments. And I don't have stats, but it seems they mostly get it wrong.

All that said, predicting the first round order is like filling out a March Madness Bracket. But hey, we need something to do in April that's football related.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably at least 2 or 3 tackles, too.

I don't think we're moving up, though, unless it's a couple of spots for a CB. I think we're more likely to move down a few, although probably not out of the 1st Round. In 6 years, Gutekunst has traded up 4 times in the 1st, including 2018 when he first traded down and then back up again to draft Alexander. With this many picks to work with, I think it's very likely he dances around again in the first, and we need immediate CB help more than we need O-line.
I agree with you on prioritizing CB over the OL in round 1. Gluten might have to move up some to make that happen.

There are three or four v good corners in this draft, not including Cooper D who is a S/slot hybrid. I'd be happy if they get one of those corners. Cooper is an interesting guy, but like a jack of all trades....... I'd rather they didn't take him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If more than four QBs go in the first I’d be astonished. Honestly I think only two are worth a first rounder talent wise, while a third has a massive ceiling worth the risk possibly (Daniel).

For our sake I hope a ton of dumb GMs overdraft QBs before pick 25….i just don’t see it personally.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Trade Myers? Sure, for proper compensation. Cut him? Not me. Even with the A. Dillard signing they still need depth on the OL. Myers is on his rookie deal. Surprisingly Runyan got 10 mil a year. To me that means there is a chance Myers could get enough for a 7th round comp when he hits FA the following year. As always this is just my opinion.
Like I said, a trade/cut of Myers I would put at a 25% chance. Breaking that down, I would put the trade at 90%, an outright cut at 10%. There is definitely incentive for the Packers to trade or cut Myers, IF they have enough cheaper and better options to replace him. That incentive? A 2024 Cap Savings of $3,116,000, as well as him being in the final year of his contract. As far as keeping him in hopes that somehow he helps secure a 7th round pick, nahhh, you should be able to get a higher 7th rounder in a trade, possibly even a 6th.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take a year of Myers on the depth chart + a 7th round comp pick over a 6th round pick. That's just my opinion though. Now if somehow they all of a sudden have 8 lineman better than a 3 yr. starter, go for it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take a year of Myers on the depth chart + a 7th round comp pick over a 6th round pick. That's just my opinion though. Now if somehow they all of a sudden have 8 lineman better than a 3 yr. starter, go for it.
By the way! I loved the "Missus a Wigguns" bit earlier in the thread. My favorite comedian. The guy was amazing!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess we differ. For me, if Myers can be adequately replaced, I'd take the $3.116M cap savings and the better draft pick. Not to mention it would free up a roster spot for someone who might have more than a 1 season future in GB.

That said. This is Myers "make bank or not" season. He isn't only playing for a second contract, he may be playing to save his starting job. Maybe that, along with a move to RG would propel him to a new level for the Packers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of you have talked about how well we pick later round O linemen and develop them. We have had some success there. Also some success in drafting in the 4th and some in even later rounds. When you can afford to do that and they see someone they think they can do something with; that can be good. Because you have to keep working at the draft for those positions every year imho. But this year is not the year to draft and develop an O lineman. We have a chance at a superbowl run and don't have depth there. We will need men that can come in and actually play well. A better chance of that with the higher draft pick. That's why I want to take two O linemen early.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of you have talked about how well we pick later round O linemen and develop them. We have had some success there. Also some success in drafting in the 4th and some in even later rounds. When you can afford to do that and they see someone they think they can do something with; that can be good. Because you have to keep working at the draft for those positions every year imho. But this year is not the year to draft and develop an O lineman. We have a chance at a superbowl run and don't have depth there. We will need men that can come in and actually play well. A better chance of that with the higher draft pick. That's why I want to take two O linemen early.
At a quick glance, since 2010 the Packers have selected 5 OL players in rounds 1 and 2. Bulaga, Sherrod, Spriggs, Jenkins and Myers. I would say that probably puts them at about 50/50 success rate on O-Lineman in Rounds 1-2.

Compare that to the players (16) they got in rounds 3-7 during that same time period.

- Newhouse, Schlauderaff, Datko, Tretter, Bahk, Linsley, Murphy, Amichia, Madison, Stepaniak, Runyan, Van Lanen, Newman, Walker, Tom, Rhyan.

I would say they have had about a 50/50 rate with getting quality OL players outside of rounds 1 and 2. Then you throw in Free Agency, trades and of course UDFA's for other avenues to fill depth and starting positions.

While I get some Packer fans hand wringing over thinking that the Packers NEED to draft an OL player in rounds 1-2, I don't feel the same way. That said, if the best player that is available happens to be a T, G or C that they are really high on and is the BPA, then yeah, grab him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be pleasantly surprised if 6 QBs go before pick 25.
If it does happen, two guys who weren't expected to be first rounders would have to move up - Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr. Along with McCarthy's jump in perceived value, this seems like NFL GM mass hysteria. That's fine. Leaves more players for the Packers to choose from at #25 if they decide to stay there.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it does happen, two guys who weren't expected to be first rounders would have to move up - Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr. Along with McCarthy's jump in perceived value, this seems like NFL GM mass hysteria. That's fine. Leaves more players for the Packers to choose from at #25 if they decide to stay there.
It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a run on players at one position. It happens at least half the time in drafts. You just never know where it's going until it happens.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we differ. For me, if Myers can be adequately replaced, I'd take the $3.116M cap savings and the better draft pick. Not to mention it would free up a roster spot for someone who might have more than a 1 season future in GB.

That said. This is Myers "make bank or not" season. He isn't only playing for a second contract, he may be playing to save his starting job. Maybe that, along with a move to RG would propel him to a new level for the Packers.
It won't be $3million but there will be a bit of cap savings when they cut Newman.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope they draft a C and see if he can outplay Myers. To your point, why wait a year for a guy who only has a year? The Packers had a record of solid C play until Myers. He's not terrible, but why settle? And the sooner they get a consistent starting 5 in front of Love, the better.

Along with some very promising WRs entering their second and third years, and two productive TEs entering their second year, along with an All Pro RB, the entire O is shaping up very well. Very young and just a few gaps to plug.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you draft Myers replacement and then you cut Myers you have not added anything to your depth which is the #1 issue with the OL. IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you draft Myers replacement and then you cut Myers you have not added anything to your depth which is the #1 issue with the OL. IMO.
I agree with that. I didn't mean to suggest cutting Myers. Even if a rookie outplays him and becomes the starter (unlikely), Myers should still be around for depth. It's more likely that Myers starts and the rookie becomes backup, or can play G. Thanks for the observation Schultz.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To that point.

Myers could become an integral piece of the Packer roster, either as a starter or as a backup. Which is why I have said all along, he isn't traded/cut, unless they find his replacement and feel comfortable with their depth without him. As you have pointed out, currently, that depth doesn't exist and will have to be achieved via the draft/trade/FA route.

I will even go so far as to say this. Myers very well could stick as the starting C or become the starting RG. He could also improve in his 4th and final money year of his contract. Maybe even to the point where the Packers see him in their long term plans.

I think around this time next Sunday, we will have a much better idea on how Gute sees the OL. I recall last year people talking about him drafting multiple OL players, he drafted Zero. I don't expect that next week.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To that point.

Myers could become an integral piece of the Packer roster, either as a starter or as a backup. Which is why I have said all along, he isn't traded/cut, unless they find his replacement and feel comfortable with their depth without him. As you have pointed out, currently, that depth doesn't exist and will have to be achieved via the draft/trade/FA route.

I will even go so far as to say this. Myers very well could stick as the starting C or become the starting RG. He could also improve in his 4th and final money year of his contract. Maybe even to the point where the Packers see him in their long term plans.

I think around this time next Sunday, we will have a much better idea on how Gute sees the OL. I recall last year people talking about him drafting multiple OL players, he drafted Zero. I don't expect that next week.
I said last year take an OL in the 1st round or not at all. I was still surprised when they did not draft a single one. This year I say at minimum draft 1 within the 1st 2 days and another on day 3. If they do not draft at least 2 OL I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED, I WILL BE SCHOCKED!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said last year take an OL in the 1st round or not at all. I was still surprised when they did not draft a single one. This year I say at minimum draft 1 within the 1st 2 days and another on day 3. If they do not draft at least 2 OL I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED, I WILL BE SCHOCKED!
Agreed. Take two O linemen, maybe three. There are two potential All Pros in Love and Jacobs. Protect Love and open lanes for Jacobs. Sounds easy, but of course it isn’t.

I think Gluten has earned some respect for his drafting. It’s kinda like baseball - if you bat .300 that’s exceptional. Same for the draft. If they ultimately get 3 maybe 4 starters (not all starting in their first year), that’s a good draft IMO. And while some guys will wait to start, they still provide depth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree on this year. I will not be one bit surprised to see Gute select 3 or maybe even as many as 4 OL candidates. 11 picks could easily turn into 12 on Thursday night. OL and RB are the only 2 positions I foresee Gute using picks. Potentially a WR or QB if they are a steal, otherwise, I'm expecting a draft that is skewed towards defensive picks.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
11 picks could easily turn into 12 on Thursday night. OL and RB are the only 2 positions I foresee Gute using picks. Potentially a WR or QB if they are a steal, otherwise, I'm expecting a draft that is skewed towards defensive picks.
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying there, and I usually hear you loud and clear. Did you leave a word out?

Members online

Latest posts