2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been mentioned moving Tom to center. Just saying I don't think that will affect his worth on his new contract. I would prefer to see trying Jenkins there. I don't think he has really had that chance. And then draft for the interior. If what Tyni says about Morgan is accurate; then he sounds like a great pick. Though all the mocks have him going quite a bit later than Barton.
Good point. The team has options at C, some of them with existing personnel. With Love emerging as a top 10 QB, it's gonna be important to keep him protected (well, yeah, that's true for all QBs.....). So the immediate needs are finding a v good G, and supplanting Walker at LT, if necessary, or providing depth at the blindspot position.

Myers is adequate and the team can probably afford to wait a year to replace him. LT and G are higher priorities IMO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been mentioned moving Tom to center. Just saying I don't think that will affect his worth on his new contract. I would prefer to see trying Jenkins there. I don't think he has really had that chance. And then draft for the interior. If what Tyni says about Morgan is accurate; then he sounds like a great pick. Though all the mocks have him going quite a bit later than Barton.

Again though I'll say the engines are not gospel...look at the PFF engine...just recently they finally figured out that Jordan Magee wasn't a bottom of the barrel UDFA prospect and magically my picking of him in the 4th continually is now an A or B grade vs an F.

Brandon Coleman and Roger Rosengarten FINALLY are where they ought to be IMO...

It can work the other way as well though. Elijah Jones from BC is a great example....I hold to he is a 4th/5th rounder....PFF now has him as a UDFA.

Mock engines are awesome, BUT many folks (not directed at you or anyone specifically here) get WAY TOO wrapped up in the grading and base their opinions of picks and such on them way too much.

Example was up until the update, if we picked Roger Rosengarten in the second round, folks here would have lost their effing mind - strictly because an engine still had him available in the 6th.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it isn't as much if he is a direct upgrade at Center specifically, but if Tom is able to move off of a Tackle position to Center that tells me as a whole our OL is better.

As I stated clear back in November - moving Tom to center is a luxury I want this draft to provide. If we can slide Tom to center because we have a solid RT - this OL just got immensely better.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The stat that is telling on Walker is that he improved a great deal from the start of the season to the end. Especially in the last 8 weeks. Which is why (even though we should get a tackle in the draft), I would rather have a top notch guard. And I think inside linebacker will help the team out more than a safety or corner. I like McDuffie. I just think it's imperative to have another. And so I would like the guard in the first and inside linebacker in the 2nd. Although if Dejean is there; I would take him in the first and if we have a choice of all inside linebackers; take that with the second. Then a corner and two O linemen with the next three. Obviously, except for DeJean, I'm not thinking best player available. And who really know who that is anyway. If we are solid on the O line for running and protecting; that will go a long way in helping out the D line. And the score of the game. Don't want to lose another playoff game because we are deficient on the O line. imho
Was it ever mentioned why he was underdrafted? I had us actually taking him in the third round. Wonder why he fell so far.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it ever mentioned why he was underdrafted? I had us actually taking him in the third round. Wonder why he fell so far.
I don't see someone that went undrafted in the post you quoted? Who are you speaking to?

McDuffie was a 6th rounder in 2021 and Walker 7th in 2022.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Besides the OL, which I actually think isn't in all that bad of shape, the Packers are pretty well set on Offense, when it comes to starters. I see this draft being one where a majority of the picks will be on the defensive side of the ball. They may spend 3-4 picks on DB's, 1-2 picks on DL's, 1-2 picks on LB's and an Edge player or 2.

As far as the offense goes, 2-3 OL, 1-2 RB's and maybe a WR.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember who was undrafted between Walker and McDuffie. I'll assume Walker and I'll guess at why. 1. Went to a small school. 2. Needed quite a bit of refinement. 3. Was not that great in college. 4. Had not played the position very long. 5. Hard to believe it was the wrong body type. Anyway, guesses.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the OL, which I actually think isn't in all that bad of shape, the Packers are pretty well set on Offense, when it comes to starters. I see this draft being one where a majority of the picks will be on the defensive side of the ball. They may spend 3-4 picks on DB's, 1-2 picks on DL's, 1-2 picks on LB's and an Edge player or 2.

As far as the offense goes, 2-3 OL, 1-2 RB's and maybe a WR.
I don't know why you are not concerned about the O line. The guard we have coming back did not play any better than the guard I was glad to see go. Most say our center is not very good. Maybe he'll improve??? And we don't have any proven depth anywhere nor worldbeaters sitting in the wings. We lost two playoff games because of O line imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't remember who was undrafted between Walker and McDuffie. I'll assume Walker and I'll guess at why. 1. Went to a small school. 2. Needed quite a bit of refinement. 3. Was not that great in college. 4. Had not played the position very long. 5. Hard to believe it was the wrong body type. Anyway, guesses.
Both were draft picks of the Packers. McDuffie in the 6th round (#220) of the 2021 draft and Walker was a 7th round (#249) in the 2022 draft. For what the Packers invested in both, I like the returns thus far.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I posted above - neither he or McDuffie were undrafted. Walker was a 7th rounder.

I also think you might be mistakenly thinking of someone else on Walker.

He didn't go to a small school to many - Penn State.
Was their starting LT for three years.
Wasn't an elite graded out LT, but was solid in his time there especially given some of his match ups.

The reason Walker fell was due to right miniscus injury and bone bruise in right knee - this made testing not possible and of course teams had a lack of ability to know future recovery.

Most folks saw him no higher than a beginning of Day3 type guy so the fall was real, but not crazy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know why you are not concerned about the O line.
When did I say I wasn't concerned about the O Line? I said that I felt it was in better shape than some fans felt, but the Packers will use 2-3 picks on it. If you listen to some people, the Packers don't have a LT, RT, RG and the center sucks. The Packers have always been good with draft and develop when it comes to the OL, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted above - neither he or McDuffie were undrafted. Walker was a 7th rounder.

I also think you might be mistakenly thinking of someone else on Walker.

He didn't go to a small school to many - Penn State.
Was their starting LT for three years.
Wasn't an elite graded out LT, but was solid in his time there especially given some of his match ups.

The reason Walker fell was due to right miniscus injury and bone bruise in right knee - this made testing not possible and of course teams had a lack of ability to know future recovery.

Most folks saw him no higher than a beginning of Day3 type guy so the fall was real, but not crazy.
Geez guys. I keep reminding you about reading comprehension. He said UNDER DRAFTED!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Geez guys. I keep reminding you about reading comprehension. He said UNDER DRAFTED!
So is that "underdrafted" or "under drafted"? Asking for a friend.

underdraft: a tendency of a rolled piece to curve downward after passing through a stand, occurring when the upper roll is faster than the lower.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest I assumed it was a typo - mainly because declaring someone underdrafted is something I have always struggled with the merit of such a statement. Guys are drafted right where they were - every single player, and I mean every single one is going to have folks that say they had no business there, had business higher or shouldn't have been picked at all.

I wasn't attacking him for the thought so won't apologize, but sorry for the information on Walker...it still explains why if someone felt he should have went earlier he likely didn't.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is that "underdrafted" or "under drafted"? Asking for a friend.

underdraft: a tendency of a rolled piece to curve downward after passing through a stand, occurring when the upper roll is faster than the lower.
Nice try. Reading comprehension has nothing to do with spelling. Which I believe I comprehended reading in the rules it was not okay to correct someone's spelling.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
At the Detroit Tigers game today, Mike Sainristil and Jaylen Harrell are throwing the 1st pitches today.

Attachments

• 20240418_123104.jpg
    20240418_123104.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240418_122916.jpg
    20240418_122916.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 8

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myers is adequate and the team can probably afford to wait a year to replace him. LT and G are higher priorities IMO.
I agree. Myers was the weakest link on the O-line, but it was still a damned good line despite that - probably upper 1/3 in the league, and should be better if Walker improves even more (which is not unlikely). Plus, I think Myers did play better toward that end of the season, so replacing him may not seem as urgent next year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Myers was the weakest link on the O-line, but it was still a damned good line despite that - probably upper 1/3 in the league, and should be better if Walker improves even more (which is not unlikely). Plus, I think Myers did play better toward that end of the season, so replacing him may not seem as urgent next year.
Yeah the draft will be an opportunity to create a consistent group of starters, and of course add some depth. As far as speculating on the draft, after Joe Alt, there isn't much consensus in how the elite OTs come off the board. So if the Packers stand pat at #25, they'll likely take a T, ideally with the versatility to move inside. And then somewhere in rounds 2 and 3, they'll grab a G.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ McCarthy has really moved up in mock drafts, with the consensus now slotting him to MN with the #5 pick. Is this hype because the guy had a great combine and he's smart, or is he really that good?

It seems like a risky choice. MI didn't rely on the passing game. Thoughts?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Guys are drafted right where they were - every single player, and I mean every single one is going to have folks that say they had no business there, had business higher or shouldn't have been picked at all.
Spot on. I do chuckle when 30 minutes after a Packer pick, I read the comment "oh man this guy was a total reach, I never even heard of the guy, what was Gute thinking?" Maybe on the casual fans draft board that player was an unknown reach, but I doubt Gute had him 3 or 4 rounds later on his board.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
JJ McCarthy has really moved up in mock drafts, with the consensus now slotting him to MN with the #5 pick. Is this hype because the guy had a great combine and he's smart, or is he really that good?

It seems like a risky choice. MI didn't rely on the passing game. Thoughts?
Might be a little of the Tom Brady and Josh Purdy effect, as well as QB desperate teams willing to risk their 1st round pick on the hopes of finding THAT guy.

I for one hope that 6 QB's come off the board before the Packers are on the clock, as well as 3-5 or more WR's and TE's. That just leaves the Packers with way more options on picks and filling needs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be a little of the Tom Brady and Josh Purdy effect, as well as QB desperate teams willing to risk their 1st round pick on the hopes of finding THAT guy.

I for one hope that 6 QB's come off the board before the Packers are on the clock, as well as 3-5 or more WR's and TE's. That just leaves the Packers with way more options on picks and filling needs.
Good point on McCarthy. Just me, but seems like he has done little in real football games to justify a #5 pick. As you say, desperate teams will take the risk when it comes to QB. Trubisky and Lance are two examples, although I'd argue they had a greater body of work than McCarthy.

And yeah - it now seems likely 6 QBs, 3 or 4 WRs, and one TE will come off the board before #25. The Packers don't need anyone at these positions. So maybe the Packers get one of their guys at #25 w/o having to move up. I like that.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yeah - it now seems likely 6 QBs, 3 or 4 WRs, and one TE will come off the board before #25. The Packers don't need anyone at these positions. So maybe the Packers get one of their guys at #25 w/o having to move up. I like that.
Probably at least 2 or 3 tackles, too.

I don't think we're moving up, though, unless it's a couple of spots for a CB. I think we're more likely to move down a few, although probably not out of the 1st Round. In 6 years, Gutekunst has traded up 4 times in the 1st, including 2018 when he first traded down and then back up again to draft Alexander. With this many picks to work with, I think it's very likely he dances around again in the first, and we need immediate CB help more than we need O-line.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on McCarthy. Just me, but seems like he has done little in real football games to justify a #5 pick. As you say, desperate teams will take the risk when it comes to QB. Trubisky and Lance are two examples, although I'd argue they had a greater body of work than McCarthy.

I would be pleasantly surprised if 6 QBs go before pick 25.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts