2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm kind of at a loss. Why are so many Packer fans thinking that the top Packer pick will be a cornerback? That's one of the better stocked position on the roster. We need a safety, we need interior defensive linemen with the 4-3 we're going to see, we need and inside linebacker, and we need an offensive lineman. Possibly someone who could eventually turn into a left tackle. At least be productive at most offensive line positions. Someone like Barton.

But, we're going to see how it goes when they send their pick to the stage. Just my opinion, but I think they'd go McKinstry or Barton, and if neither available, they'd be considering can't miss ILB or interior defensive lineman.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The stat that is telling on Walker is that he improved a great deal from the start of the season to the end. Especially in the last 8 weeks. Which is why (even though we should get a tackle in the draft), I would rather have a top notch guard. And I think inside linebacker will help the team out more than a safety or corner. I like McDuffie. I just think it's imperative to have another. And so I would like the guard in the first and inside linebacker in the 2nd. Although if Dejean is there; I would take him in the first and if we have a choice of all inside linebackers; take that with the second. Then a corner and two O linemen with the next three. Obviously, except for DeJean, I'm not thinking best player available. And who really know who that is anyway. If we are solid on the O line for running and protecting; that will go a long way in helping out the D line. And the score of the game. Don't want to lose another playoff game because we are deficient on the O line. imho

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In regards to Kool-Aid.

I didn't really follow Alabama this year, but I am always a bit guarded when it comes to DB's on top 10 teams. Was the DB good because of the other 10 guys or vice versa? Possibly a bigger concern for me is the Jones fracture in his right foot. Will it heal on its own or will he end up needing surgery and potentially be shelved his rookie season?

I do like his football IQ, as well as his work ethics. Sounds like the guy puts in a lot of time on his game.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm kind of at a loss. Why are so many Packer fans thinking that the top Packer pick will be a cornerback? That's one of the better stocked position on the roster. We need a safety, we need interior defensive linemen with the 4-3 we're going to see, we need and inside linebacker, and we need an offensive lineman. Possibly someone who could eventually turn into a left tackle. At least be productive at most offensive line positions. Someone like Barton.

But, we're going to see how it goes when they send their pick to the stage. Just my opinion, but I think they'd go McKinstry or Barton, and if neither available, they'd be considering can't miss ILB or interior defensive lineman.

Stocked with bodies yes, but....

Jaire Alexander - A top 10 at worst corner still when out there...of course with all the rumblings of displeasure some of it likely has merit. Hafley switch will either save that whole thing or this will be his last year here IMO.
Eric Stokes - Dude looked like a legit TOP outside corner in his rookie year...then injuries. There is no one even named Stokes that knows likely how his body is going to handle the season and to what degree he is what he was looking like. Coin toss type guy...AND is entering a contract year likely unless GB picks up his fifth year option as a first rounder...which I don't foresee. Now they could do an extension similar to Love and essentially pay him the same amount but spread it instead of just hit in 2025....
Carrington Valentine - Roller coaster rookie year, Barry's system wasn't necessarily what his style excels at, but lot of promise for a young guy...but again late round flyer on a guy that the entire league passed multiple times with just one season under his belt. He could be a CB2 this year...or settle down to earth and be a guy we don't want out there as CB2.
Keisean Nixon - Average at best slot corner in the league, who there isn't a world that exists not in fairy tales that he deserved that money for his defensive capabilities illustrated to this point. Now does he continue to progress? Maybe. Does he fit the Hafley system more? Maybe. Do we actually try sliding him to a safety type role? Maybe.

Ballentine is also here but again less proven then any of these, but I am a big fan of him personally for a depth and longshot at being a CB3 or CB4 type guy.

So truly we have one proven guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
unless GB picks up his fifth year option as a first rounder...which I don't foresee.
You can 100% bank on them not. No way should Gute tie up $12.5M of the 2025 cap on Stokes. I think doing that with Savage was a bit questionable, but Stokes, is a no brainer to pass on.

I hope Stokes has a Pro Bowl season, but if I was a betting man, I see someone else not named Jaire, getting more snaps at CB than Stokes. Be it from injury or just inconsistent play, he has a lot to prove for a 2nd contract.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can 100% bank on them not. No way should Gute tie up $12.5M of the 2025 cap on Stokes. I think doing that with Savage was a bit questionable, but Stokes, is a no brainer to pass on.

I hope Stokes has a Pro Bowl season, but if I was a betting man, I see someone else not named Jaire, getting more snaps at CB than Stokes. Be it from injury or just inconsistent play, he has a lot to prove for a 2nd contract.

WHICH here's a little bit of take...draft a high level CB that can play opposite Jaire year one....you lesson what Stokes has on his plate coming back, Valentine not pushed continually into a massive role....you squelch what Stokes is likely to get offered in FA, resign him if he shows he can be a CB3 worst case type guy...Jaire is leaving either this next offseason or one more and you already have a potentially high level CB1 replacement from this draft.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jaire Alexander - A top 10 at worst corner still when out there...of course with all the rumblings of displeasure some of it likely has merit. Hafley switch will either save that whole thing or this will be his last year here IMO.
Eric Stokes - Dude looked like a legit TOP outside corner in his rookie year...then injuries. There is no one even named Stokes that knows likely how his body is going to handle the season and to what degree he is what he was looking like. Coin toss type guy...AND is entering a contract year likely unless GB picks up his fifth year option as a first rounder...which I don't foresee. Now they could do an extension similar to Love and essentially pay him the same amount but spread it instead of just hit in 2025....
Carrington Valentine - Roller coaster rookie year, Barry's system wasn't necessarily what his style excels at, but lot of promise for a young guy...but again late round flyer on a guy that the entire league passed multiple times with just one season under his belt. He could be a CB2 this year...or settle down to earth and be a guy we don't want out there as CB2.
Keisean Nixon - Average at best slot corner in the league, who there isn't a world that exists not in fairy tales that he deserved that money for his defensive capabilities illustrated to this point. Now does he continue to progress? Maybe. Does he fit the Hafley system more? Maybe. Do we actually try sliding him to a safety type role? Maybe.

Ballentine is also here but again less proven then any of these, but I am a big fan of him personally for a depth and longshot at being a CB3 or CB4 type guy.

I see what you're saying, but now you should do the same analysis at safety. I think that the entire list of people you can count on is one player deep, period. Johnson is not starting material in the NFL in my opinion. Even worse, what's behind the starters? Start breathing in and out of a paper bag because it's going to make you hyperventilate. They got squat!

That can be cared for in round, in my book. Round 1, get that protection for Love, or start grooming your back up to spend a lot of time on the field. This is absolutely no time for the Packers to start looking for that guy who's a diamond in the rough and could be dynamite in two or three years. We need the cavalry, to give them a chance at doing some playoff damage.

I put my analysis out here some time ago. Nothing has changed in my opinion, at this point. They haven't made any moves that would change it.

But, as I said, it's my opinion. A great first two picks in my book would be Barton in round 1, and McKinstry in round 2. Outside of that, I'm not certain where it will go, but please! No DeJean, unless he's out there in round 3 or 4.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why do we need an interior defensive lineman? IMO we are 5 deep there. Now if the BPA at 25 is an IDL, I get it. If not, I wouldn't draft one at all. Wooden and Brooks are 2nd year players that IMO will continue to get better. Maybe I am too high on Wyatt breaking out.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but now you should do the same analysis at safety. I think that the entire list of people you can count on is one player deep, period. Johnson is not starting material in the NFL in my opinion. Even worse, what's behind the starters? Start breathing in and out of a paper bag because it's going to make you hyperventilate. They got squat!

That can be cared for in round, in my book. Round 1, get that protection for Love, or start grooming your back up to spend a lot of time on the field. This is absolutely no time for the Packers to start looking for that guy who's a diamond in the rough and could be dynamite in two or three years. We need the cavalry, to give them a chance at doing some playoff damage.

I put my analysis out here some time ago. Nothing has changed in my opinion, at this point. They haven't made any moves that would change it.

But, as I said, it's my opinion. A great first two picks in my book would be Barton in round 1, and McKinstry in round 2. Outside of that, I'm not certain where it will go, but please! No DeJean, unless he's out there in round 3 or 4.
IMO it is highly doubtful McKinstry would be available at pick #41. I agree with you that safety has the absolute worst depth chart on the team followed by ILB. Which is why I am so confused by your take on drafting DeJean. Also, IMO there is not an ILB worthy of pick #25. OL and CB depth charts are the next 2 worst IMO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is stating otherwise, however the vast majority of the time you got three of your corners on the field sometimes four....safeties you RARELY have more than two. Just from a positional discussion you need far less.

Also, I think everyone knows Gute is going to draft someone, and potentially two...you also have Johnson Jr that at minimum appears a strong depth/reserve youngin. Safety is chalked full of Jonathan Owens and Rudy Ford types out there to sign depending how the draft goes as well. Having Xavier McKinney, literally an ELITE safety also is a massive reason why Gute likely slid the dire need of safety somewhat when they signed him.

Also FTR I wasn't arguing against the pick or prospect, merely the claim that CB is a strong positional group. I just happen to massively disagree considering the immense pressure and need the NFL puts on needing honestly three good CBs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is stating otherwise, however the vast majority of the time you got three of your corners on the field sometimes four....safeties you RARELY have more than two. Just from a positional discussion you need far less.

Also, I think everyone knows Gute is going to draft someone, and potentially two...you also have Johnson Jr that at minimum appears a strong depth/reserve youngin. Safety is chalked full of Jonathan Owens and Rudy Ford types out there to sign depending how the draft goes as well. Having Xavier McKinney, literally an ELITE safety also is a massive reason why Gute likely slid the dire need of safety somewhat when they signed him.

Also FTR I wasn't arguing against the pick or prospect, merely the claim that CB is a strong positional group. I just happen to massively disagree considering the immense pressure and need the NFL puts on needing honestly three good CBs.
And that's why I'm in favor of moving up to get a CB. McKinney solves a lot of problems at S, but that still leaves one gap (and not considering depth). The current CB group, after JA, is average to forgettable. Nixon in the slot, and Stokes in the question mark position. They desperately need CB help. Kool Aid is an interesting prospect, and may very well be there at #25. But the talent in the first half of the round is significantly better.

The OL can be addressed in the second round, at #41 and #88. Sure, they need an ILB, a starting S, an Edge guy, and a RB. Problem is the talent/value is just not there in this draft. There probably are some diamonds in the rough, but where?

Finally, there is still S talent in FA. The longer these guys stay unsigned, the better. I'd much rather have McKinney paired with a solid rookie S - there just aren't any.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's why I'm in favor of moving up to get a CB. McKinney solves a lot of problems at S, but that still leaves one gap (and not considering depth). The current CB group, after JA, is average to forgettable. Nixon in the slot, and Stokes in the question mark position. They desperately need CB help. Kool Aid is an interesting prospect, and may very well be there at #25. But the talent in the first half of the round is significantly better.

The OL can be addressed in the second round, at #41 and #88. Sure, they need an ILB, a starting S, an Edge guy, and a RB. Problem is the talent/value is just not there in this draft. There probably are some diamonds in the rough, but where?

Finally, there is still S talent in FA. The longer these guys stay unsigned, the better. I'd much rather have McKinney paired with a solid rookie S - there just aren't any.

Truthfully I wouldn't be shocked one bit if Gute approaches off ball LB or Safety not even inside the first three or four picks, but instead doubles up quickly end of Day2/beginning of Day3. Think say drafting Malik Mustapha and Kitan Oladapo instead of trying to nab Hicks or Bishop in the second...

Or grabbing Trevin Wallace and Ty'Ron Hopper again end of Day2/beginning of Day3 instead of grabbing Cooper Day1/2 or Colson with likely one of the two seconds.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jaire Alexander - A top 10 at worst corner still when out there...of course with all the rumblings of displeasure some of it likely has merit. Hafley switch will either save that whole thing or this will be his last year here IMO....

I'm very skeptical that the Jaire Alexander we saw last season is worth the $80,000,000 cap hit he carries over the next 3 seasons. If he doesn't have a really good year in 24, Gutekunst is going to have some tough decisions to make with him.

I really think we need to be drafting with that in mind. Getting a top-level CB next week seems like it would be a draft pick well-spent.

One way of looking at it is this... yes, we are thin at O-line, and there's no question we need depth at that position and could easily stand to add a player good enough to provide tough competition - maybe even make it possible to replace Myers. And the top end of this draft is an excellent opportunity to do that.

But as it stands, the line we have is one of the best in the NFL - arguably Top 1/3. The key players are all young enough that we can expect them to be around for a few years, and it's reasonable to expect that both Tom and especially Walker are even better in 24. Barring injuries, it is not an immediate or even looming vulnerability.

On the other hand, we only have (as you say) one proven guy at cornerback (who missed 13 games because of a shoulder injury 2 seasons ago, 9 games last year from another shoulder injury, plus 1 more from an attitue suspension), and there's a good chance this will be his last season.

What would be the smartest use of the 25th pick in the 1st Round? Where is the greater need?

And let's keep in mind, that entire O-line that we have now did not require a single first round pick. Jenkins is a mid-2nd, Myers is a late 2nd, Rhyan is a late 3rd, and the two tackles are 4th and 7th rounders. And while every GM would love to have Alt or Fautanu on his team, I don't think Gutekunst is afraid of waiting to see who drops into the 2nd or even 3rd round.

Some would say Green Bay just gets lucky and wins the O-line lottery every year, but some would say they're historically very, very good at identifying and developing talent. I'm inclined toward the latter position, and I suspect Gutekunst is as well. Do we really need the best possible OT we can get, or do we more badly need the best possible CB?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully I wouldn't be shocked one bit if Gute approaches off ball LB or Safety not even inside the first three or four picks, but instead doubles up quickly end of Day2/beginning of Day3. Think say drafting Malik Mustapha and Kitan Oladapo instead of trying to nab Hicks or Bishop in the second...

Or grabbing Trevin Wallace and Ty'Ron Hopper again end of Day2/beginning of Day3 instead of grabbing Cooper Day1/2 or Colson with likely one of the two seconds.
Interesting idea. In a draft where off ball LB and S isn't very strong, use the extra picks to double up at a position(s) at the end of day 2, day 3. Let's face it, even round 1 can be a crap shoot and picks only become more unpredictable in later rounds. At the same time, we've seen All Pros come from round 4 and later (for ex, Bakh).

That makes having more picks valuable - well as long as at least one player from round 4 or later turns into a starter.

It's an interesting strategy, and depending how the draft falls, one Gluten might want to use. Thanks Ty.

PackFan727

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to running backs in this year’s draft: I would love to see Ray Davis (Kentucky) in a Packers’ uniform. Love his elusiveness and power. I think he’s gonna be a good one.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to running backs in this year’s draft: I would love to see Ray Davis (Kentucky) in a Packers’ uniform. Love his elusiveness and power. I think he’s gonna be a good one.
He's the only RB they're brought to Green Bay for a Top 30 visit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey Ty, I've seen a few mocks lately that have Duke OT Graham Barton going to the Packers at #25. How do you like him considering who else may be available in the latter half of the first round? Thanks.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Ty, I've seen a few mocks lately that have Duke OT Graham Barton going to the Packers at #25. How do you like him considering who else may be available in the latter half of the first round? Thanks.

I'm not as high on Barton as some personally. I see a very cross positional value guy, but personally I don't see a potential All Pro at any position. I'd personally take quite a few potential OL guys before him at 25 even; Mims, Guyton, Suamataia and Morgan are four quick guys I personally say I like above him.

I'd describe Barton this way; high floor, low ceiling and low risk. Likely starter at any position, but one I think will be viewed like Josh Myers by us in GB towards end of rookie contract - thanks but you may not be worth investing further in.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as high on Barton as some personally. I see a very cross positional value guy, but personally I don't see a potential All Pro at any position. I'd personally take quite a few potential OL guys before him at 25 even; Mims, Guyton, Suamataia and Morgan are four quick guys I personally say I like above him.

I'd describe Barton this way; high floor, low ceiling and low risk. Likely starter at any position, but one I think will be viewed like Josh Myers by us in GB towards end of rookie contract - thanks but you may not be worth investing further in.
Thanks a lot Ty, much appreciated.

Yeah a guy with a low ceiling does not sound worthy of a first round pick to me. I get that he's versatile, can-play multiple positions, but that can lead to "jack all trades, master of none" - and to your point, there are other guys who hopefully will still be around at #25 - well if the Packers stand pat and IF they go for an OL.

I have looked at Mims and he's probably my fave out of guys who may be there at #25. With all the OL talent, I don't think a trade up is needed. CB is another matter where I would trade up.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Ty, much appreciated.

Yeah a guy with a low ceiling does not sound worthy of a first round pick to me. I get that he's versatile, can-lay multiple positions, but that can lead to "jack all trades, master of none" - and to your point, there are other guys who hopefully will still be around at #25 - well if the Packers stand pat and IF they go for an OL.

I have looked at Mims and he's probably my fave out of guys who may be there at #25. With all the OL talent, I don't think a trade up is needed. CB is another matter where I would trade up.

Thanks again.

That's just me, I know quite a few I respect think higher of him than I. Barton to me is more a coin flip than some others is all. Example I think Morgan offers less from a positional diversity but I think has a much higher potential to be a stud guard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just me, I know quite a few I respect think higher of him than I. Barton to me is more a coin flip than some others is all. Example I think Morgan offers less from a positional diversity but I think has a much higher potential to be a stud guard.
Flexibility is a useful trait if the line itself has talent gaps, or to add depth. I don't think that the Packers have significant talent gaps on the OL that can't be fixed in this draft. I'd like to see an OT, ideally a LT to either start or provide backup to Walker. Either way, it increases competition.

As for the interior line, I'd like to see a guy who can play G and C. There may be a guy like that on the team already, but again depth is a good thing. It's preferable to have a stud G, as you mention. Eventually, I'd like to see Myers replaced. Maybe that happens this year, next year at the latest.

I'm still conflicted about how the Packers use the first choice. It probably will be OL or CB. The GM gets paid a lot to make those calls......

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been mentioned moving Tom to center. Just saying I don't think that will affect his worth on his new contract. I would prefer to see trying Jenkins there. I don't think he has really had that chance. And then draft for the interior. If what Tyni says about Morgan is accurate; then he sounds like a great pick. Though all the mocks have him going quite a bit later than Barton.

Members online