2024 draft discussion thread

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Another DL... Well, they didn't draft any, so why not
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
My only unchecked box from draft was not addressing defensive line. Glad they are bringing in a couple of 8th rounders now.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
3 more invites to rookie minicamp

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got off the river (no reception) I normally look at our drafts with a grain of salt after the first 2 rounds but top to bottom this draft looks freaking AWESOME!!!

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
My only unchecked box from draft was not addressing defensive line. Glad they are bringing in a couple of 8th rounders now.
I was shocked there were no DL myself
FWIW, I give you my word that your official UDFA thread will be getting all of my UDFA business.

No offense intended to DoURant, of course.
No offense taken, I didn't see a thread started yet, so I was posting here until Iit was opened

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought they would draft 1, if not 2 DL players. Maybe with the 4-3, they'll be using LVN and Gary on the field, along with Preston, Walker and Cooper. Line those guys up with Clark and Wyatt.

Otherwise, maybe free agency?

• Calais Campbell
  • Hassaan Ridgeway
  • Lawrence Guy
  • Bryan Mone
  • Linval Joseph
  • Al Woods
  • Mike Purcell
  • Tyson Alualu

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah? You've seen his board and know this for fact?
I was at Tanor’s draft party. His agent told him that Philadelphia wanted to trade up for him in the 4th. Another funny thing that I was told is that his agent only deals with offensive linemen because he doesn’t want to babysit prima donnas. Can’t say I don’t blame him. He also said that Powers Johnson was the coolest dude at the combine.

Attachments

• IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 22

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kalen King. Sounds a bit too close to Kevin King for my liking.
One or 2 drives into that Tampa Bay debacle I said “that guy is playing with a bad back - he shouldnt be out there” turned out to be spot on - nother guy getting a bad rap from the barstool brigade - thought I saw he’s trying to come back into the league - wish him the best!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was at Tanor’s draft party. His agent told him that Philadelphia wanted to trade up for him in the 4th. Another funny thing that I was told is that his agent only deals with offensive linemen because he doesn’t want to babysit prima donnas. Can’t say I don’t blame him. He also said that Powers Johnson was the coolest dude at the combine.
I wish the Pack could have nabbed Bortolini, I think the Colts got themselves a future solid Center.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
One or 2 drives into that Tampa Bay debacle I said “that guy is playing with a bad back - he shouldnt be out there” turned out to be spot on - nother guy getting a bad rap from the barstool brigade - thought I saw he’s trying to come back into the league - wish him the best!!
I believe it is with the Falcons

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King had a chance to come back the next season in 2021 and prove himself without a supposed bad back. He still stunk it up!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King had a chance to come back the next season in 2021 and prove himself without a supposed bad back. He still stunk it up!
Sat out 2022 for personal reasons ruptured achilles in 2023. He’s hac a career to be proud of already and he’s only 28. Like any former Packer who gave us his best I wish him the best. His last deal with GB was one year $6M so hopefully he’s set for life, playing for the love of the game!

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aw, man, I'm a fool.

Well, y'all probably know that already, but I mean specifically. In this instance.

I looked at Amish's draft thread, but didn't read it carefully. I didn't notice that you still get points if you you predict the player, but not necessarily the exact round. I know full well that I'm in way over my head on this board, especially when it comes to evaluating coolege talent. Because I just don't have the time to study college football; my wife's disabled and I'm her caretaker. So I really can't spend much time on a consistemt basis watching college gamea, and I figured I was in miles over my head with some of y'all. I mean, there are some real geniues here, who really study their stuff and know what they're looking at. And that ain't me. So I only got one correct player in the correct round (Cooper, same as several others). And would have been way, way wrong on several others.

Well, there was no money at stake, so it's all good. But I think it would have made it more fun, and I can see why y'all enjoy it. I need to loosen up a bit next year, and just go with the flow. Stop being such a perfectionist.

Edit: I mean, it's not like I would have won, but at least i wouldn't have been totally embarassed. Just partially embarassed.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sat out 2022 for personal reasons ruptured achilles in 2023. He’s hac a career to be proud of already and he’s only 28. Like any former Packer who gave us his best I wish him the best. His last deal with GB was one year $6M so hopefully he’s set for life, playing for the love of the game!
I have nothing against King from a character perspective. He's always handled himself with dignity. As a football player, he left a lot to be desired. Part of it is bad luck as his selection after bypassing TJ Watt likely cost the Packers a future HOF and trips to the Super Bowl. At the time, I as an amateur was livid at the decision knowing just how good TJ could be from going to games at Camp Randall.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Aw, man, I'm a fool.

Well, y'all probably know that already, but I mean specifically. In this instance.

I looked at Amish's draft thread, but didn't read it carefully. I didn't notice that you still get points if you you predict the player, but not necessarily the exact round. I know full well that I'm in way over my head on this board, especially when it comes to evaluating coolege talent. Because I just don't have the time to study college football; my wife's disabled and I'm her caretaker. So I really can't spend much time on a consistemt basis watching college gamea, and I figured I was in miles over my head with some of y'all. I mean, there are some real geniues here, who really study their stuff and know what they're looking at. And that ain't me. So I only got one correct player in the correct round (Cooper, same as several others). And would have been way, way wrong on several others.

Well, there was no money at stake, so it's all good. But I think it would have made it more fun, and I can see why y'all enjoy it. I need to loosen up a bit next year, and just go with the flow. Stop being such a perfectionist.

Edit: I mean, it's not like I would have won, but at least i wouldn't have been totally embarassed. Just partially embarassed.
Nah, you're good bud, there's no need to be embarrassed, the Amish mock draft contest is a fun Packers Forum activity, and the more participants the better. The NFL Draft is like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you will get. I've never won the contest, I think this year was just the 2nd time I picked 3 right. Now, if I could just harness the amount of edits I do of my mock, because I just end up really liking new players throughout the process. The Draft is a hobby for me, and probably a few others in here. It's such a great mind exercise, trying to figure out who the Packers will take. There are tendencies, and measureables that our GM likes, and they give you hints along the way with formal visits, pro days attended, Top 30 visits, etc. But, they won't give you everything, because they are playing poker with 31 other teams. The hardest part about the draft, at least for me, is watching players I really, really like, and would love to see the Packers pick, get drafted by another team... especially if it's a North Team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, there was no money at stake, so it's all good.
Ummm....you mean you haven't mailed your $100 entry fee in yet? I handle the finances for Amish, but I think he will let me waive the late fee. ;)

You did just fine, year in and year out, we all get goose egged at some point and you got 1, so that isn't bad at all. Your contributions to this forum have been awesome, so don't beat yourself up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I am reading about all the draft picks, I can't help but notice the underlying theme of many of the picks. Versatile, character, experience, football IQ. Versatility to play multiple spots on the OL, the secondary or even the DL is important for Gute and the Packers. The big winner this weekend, besides the Packer fans is new DC Jeff Hafley, he has to be smiling about some of the chess pieces that Gutey got him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea; good luck signing Love now. He sees the writing on the wall and is going to have one eye on the door.
Kirk Cousins contract is back loaded too. With 65 mil dead cap space if they let him go after two years...

Cousins counts for 57mil against the cap in each of 2026 and 2027. If he plays...and penix doesn't.

They should've traded penix for a couple days 2 picks and next year's first, to a team who needed their franchise QB. And cut their losses. They had 24 hrs to realize their mistakes and find a way out. And chose to justify the idiotic moves and compare themselves to GB. Lol. Yikes.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
As I am reading about all the draft picks, I can't help but notice the underlying theme of many of the picks. Versatile, character, experience, football IQ. Versatility to play multiple spots on the OL, the secondary or even the DL is important for Gute and the Packers. The big winner this weekend, besides the Packer fans is new DC Jeff Hafley, he has to be smiling about some of the chess pieces that Gutey got him.
The "Crazy" part is he told us numerous times in press conferences that these attributes are what he wants/looks for. How dare he tell us the truth!:whistling:

Reaction score
I feel good about the players we selected and the draft class overall. With that said, I do really wish we had drafted a cornerback within the first 5 rounds and a guard with immediate starting capabilities, especially one that is tough in the run game. Maybe throw in a kicker as well, although we did sign one in free agency.

I do think we have had a great offseason between the draft, the FA signings, and hiring a new defensive coordinator.

My major concerns going into the season are the outside corner spot opposite Jaire, right guard, and kicker. While I do really like what we have done so far this offseason, I do wish more had been done to address those spots on the roster.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Imma be honest the quiet pick I think could be the sneaky better pick of the draft is Monk. Packers could unleash him on Myers as center competition or on Rhyan and challenge him. There is a world I could see him get a starting spot and not Morgan…but I’d not be shocked if you told me it’s week one and both are in our best 5
WHO!! LOL, speaking of quiet, Gute and the boys just pulled a wild card out of their back pocket, and laid it on the table with that pick. Never heard a word about this guy during the process. You look up versatility in the dictionary, and this guy's picture is sitting there. Played all 3 levels of the OL (C, G, and T) The best ability, is AVAILability in the NFL, and Monk is a Super hero (Iron Man) suiting up and STARTING, not just playing...58 of 59 games over his college career. 2 time Team Captain ( another attribute common of the picks selected in this draft) I hope you are right Tyni, he could be a diamond in the rough. He was announced a Center, so I feel that is where they view him starting in camp, and then roll from there.

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes is finally healthy Jaire is also healthy and looking good. Gutey said he likes the guys he has there. The 7th rd guy was a good value pick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts