2024 draft discussion thread

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a shocker because to me it's a bit early. Also, 4.7 to me isn't that fast for a linebacker and his agility wasn't great. He doesn't excel in coverage and isn't really the thumper we need opposite of Cooper and Quay. I feel like we needed a Colson or Gray type linebacker to go next to the two we have to back up McDuffie. I don't hate the pick, just think it's early for him and there was a lot of other talent on the board. Would've liked Hicks or Mahogany but that's just me.
Mahogany been awesome. I was actually expecting to hear Austin Booker called.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I don't see how folks could scratch too hard. He was profile/prospect very similar to Wallace and GB brought them both in on a Top 30. Hopper is a very Packer athletic type profile and with Wallace gone I thought if we double dipped it was likely Hopper or Gray

He is a very fast, quick and explosive side line to side line type guy. He gets lost in the shuffle of a pack though and will need to work on base strength and ability to bend and fight off engagements but dude wasn't a big shocker persay.

I had him as 127th ranked on my big board.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Hopper's athletic profile is underwhelming. A 4.68 40 speed is not going to keep up with near all RB's and a lot of TE's. Poor agility isn't impressive. Hard to swallow the fact that at this point, a 3rd round pick was spent on a guy who projects out to maybe a special teams player. With Walker, Cooper, Wilson and McDuffie ahead of him on the depth chart, Hopper may make the 53 and not suit up or potentially even be sent to the practice squad.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopper. Watch the film. Watch it and you'll see more of the player and reasons Gute liked him. I'm not defending the time of the pick, but it makes a lot of Packer sense. I had a fourth round type grade on him so I get it.

Reaction score
With Hopper being 6'2 221 I'm wondering if we didn't double dip at Safety
We’re not done there imo. There’s like 10 good options in Rd5/6. In interactives I normally took 1 early and another one in Rd5-6. It’s a thick area for Safety and good ones too.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Open Burks had a very high RAS of 9.78 as a 3rd round LB and he flopped. Hopper is a lot less athletic so I don't have any confidence his collegiate highlights on tape are going to translate into the NFL. It's a passing league and LB's need to cover and be able to blitz. With his lack of speed and ability, he will struggle to do those things. It's bad enough a 3rd round pick was used but what makes it worse is that Rasul Douglas was traded to get that pick.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Open Burks had a very high RAS of 9.78 as a 3rd round LB and he flopped. Hopper is a lot less athletic so I don't have any confidence his collegiate highlights on tape are going to translate into the NFL. It's a passing league and LB's need to cover and be able to blitz. With his lack of speed and ability, he will struggle to do those things. It's bad enough a 3rd round pick was used but what makes it worse is that Rasul Douglas was traded to get that pick.
Ted's issues were showing by this point when he drafted Burks over Cunningham

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well no kidding Madden, if any one drafted perfectly it would be such a flip of the coin type thing that most teams rarely see even half their draftees sign a second contract with them.
Don’t get butt hurt you were disagreed with. You sound like you’re trying to talk yourself into liking the pick yourself for Christ sake. Right now they whiffed on it. Plain and simple.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TyRon who?

Don't ever recall anybody talking about him. Just looked him up. He was the 13th ranked LB and no. 171 on the consensus board. Gute just reached into the 6th round. Shades of Deguara all over again. What makes it even more of a bitter pill is Douglas was dealt to get a 6th round pick.
That is a bit odd...... I would've liked to see that big DT McKinley Jackson picked there. Cincy got two of my favorite DTs. With Kris Jenkins Jr included....
Cullen Jenkins nephew, who would've been a sweet power DE for us, if we had got him. Imo.

Reaction score
As far as Hopper. I had him going Rd4, but he’s a very good LB. Second team All-SEC. Team Captain. He was a finalist for the best LB Nationally (Butkus award) very recognized in the realm of accolades.
This is a terrific trio we now have at ILB. We just got better at LB.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted's issues were showing by this point when he drafted Burks over Cunningham
I agree that Ted was suffering at that time but despite his health struggles, he spent a 3rd round pick on a more athletic LB in Burks. What's Gute's excuse ? I get it that every GM misses picks but overreaching is a great way to miss them and not give yourself much of a chance to succeed in that pick.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TyRon who?

Don't ever recall anybody talking about him. Just looked him up. He was the 13th ranked LB and no. 171 on the consensus board. Gute just reached into the 6th round. Shades of Deguara all over again. What makes it even more of a bitter pill is Douglas was dealt to get a 6th round pick.
I have Hooper in the 5th round of the Amish contest so he is obviously a 5th round talent not 6th.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a bit odd...... I would've liked to see that big DT McKinley Jackson picked there. Cincy got two of my favorite DTs. With Kris Jenkins Jr included....
Cullen Jenkins nephew, who would've been a sweet power DE for us, if we had got him. Imo.
With switching to a 4-3 we're overloaded with quality DL. Remember all those OLB/EDGE rushers from last year are now Defensive Ends

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Ted was suffering at that time but despite his health struggles, he spent a 3rd round pick on a more athletic LB in Burks. What's Gute's excuse ? I get it that every GM misses picks but overreaching is a great way to miss them and not give yourself much of a chance to succeed in that pick.
WHAT?

I saw Cunningham HURDLE a long snapper and block a fieldgoal. Burks would've tripped over the long snappers cleats.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed odd, but figured they know best where to utilize him. Plus the NFL completely changed kickoff rules which I think is going to necessitate a rethinking of personnel groups. Guess they figure he can really be of immediate use there.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Hopper being 6'2 221 I'm wondering if we didn't double dip at Safety
That's an interesting take. Maybe a tweener in whatever sort of defense Hafley has in mind?

Hopper has lean, wiry frame, and could easily beef up 10 or 15 pounds. Plus, he's fairly young - when he woke up this morning, he was 23 years old, but when he wentb to bed last night, he was still 22 (this is his birthday). They may look at him and see a player with some potential who'll get some snaps and experience this season, and whom they can hopefully bulk up and coach up to be a genuine contributor in 25.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Sounds pretty damn good to me for a late 3rd rounder. I'm sold.
Packers went to the Missouri Pro Day, then had him in for a Top 30 visit. Obviously they like something after these two events. If he was 2nd team all SEC at LB, and a finalist for the Butkus Award, there obviously is something there to validate the pick.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers went to the Missouri Pro Day, then had him in for a Top 30 visit. Obviously they like something after these two events. If he was 2nd team all SEC at LB, and a finalist for the Butkus Award, there obviously is something there to validate the pick.
RickFlair mentioned the idea of him staying slim in the 220 range and playing safety.... That skill set at safety would be a punishing prospect for some of these slim WRs to face in the middle. And a good match up at 6'2" 220+- against these TEs.

I kinda love that tweener idea.

Members online

Latest posts