Your Opinion on the NFL

Reaction score
So many changes of rules, (what is a catch and what isn't), lack of discipline at the top, taking a knee, etc. etc.

Do you see the wheels coming off the NFL as we know it in the last couple years?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I have seriously curtailed my NFL watching to Packers and occasional Eagles (wife's team). Maybe watched 20 games this season as compared to 65ish in normal years. Throw out also 6-8 hrs of NFL TV and Radio per week which I completely stopped.

Did not miss it. Some of my friends and 2 of my employees stopped watching even Packer games desite living there and being very dedicated fans. I can't give my money to people who don't like America. F them. We are flooded now at every game with honoring our vets. Sorry. You can't **** on them one minute and praise them the next. NFL thought Kappernick was a revolution and pimped him as a hero but the fact is 75% of America was offended. PC is nearing its end.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever since goodell took over. I have seen the ability to manipulate outcomes, built into the rules.

Or maybe I just don't like change. Either way. I don't like it.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Hundley under center, it was easy to dismiss the Packers.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The over exposure of football is killing it for me. It used to be fun and it would become an event to see football on Sundays. Now it's all over the week. Also the over officiating kills games and also makes them feel scripted.

I've stopped watching espn, NFL network and just news in general. I no longer have any of the social media stuff because they try to make stories out of anything and kill it for me . The NFL has gotten too big and only cares about the sponsors and forgotten about it's fans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
The NFL has gotten too big and only cares about the sponsors and forgotten about it's fans.

Case in point.......attend a Packer game to verify the above.

All parking in the stadium parking lot is by preferred members only.
Escalators usage is by preferred members only.

It's not just the "Packer Team" any more, it's the NFL controlling the team.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL is a circus and an absolutely brilliant one at that.

I don't consider myself that self-righteous to get indicated and throw a strop over kneel/stand type of incidents. But in my view all non sport posturing should be kicked out. There are other social media to get your message popular.

No sport can ever be truly bound by paper rules imo and the catch rules etc makes it much more fun.

If any the only complaint I have is on the length of the game due to commercialization. For a 4x15 min game, it sure takes a hell of a lot longer. Make it shorter and crisper, I'm watching this for all time!

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
If any the only complaint I have is on the length of the game due to commercialization.

BINGO......here's the reason my wife and I hate watching TV period.
Watch a 1/2 hr. program and get 15 minutes of commercials with repeating commercials twice in those 15 minutes.
Talk about insulting your intelligence.

Sorry, maybe I should start another thread on the subject.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about the kneeling, what's more American than protest? and at home, outside of the Super Bowl, it was rarely televised anyway and maybe a TV cutaway of a flyover or something to go to a commercial break. I don't always care about the rules, make them and play by them. Celebrate when you win. I don't want as much as I used to, I have a lot of other things to do. Raise kids for one. They're too young to really care about football. That said, I do make time for Packer games. Saw them all but the last one last year and the first half of another because of travel for family. I don't watch near the games I used to, but then I don't have near the time for TV in general I used to either. I guess I could make it, but that sort of stuff just isn't all that important to me anymore.

The main thing, outside of kids and family that have been eroding at my NFL time is all the damn fluff. Everywhere fluff. Fluffing everyone, 24 hours a day fluff. Talk about the rules, fluff, debate the rules, fluff. Talking heads everywhere fluffing everything. Did a last tuesday date night interfere with that 3rd and 7 pass on SUnday? Lets debate it for 72 hours or more and find out. I'm not a fan of celebrating every play and now they celebrate the celebration by celebrating every celebratory action of every single play. and if a fan reacts to that celebration, they'll show that over and over too. Fluff what happens around the anthem, when 5 years ago, nobody outside the stadium knew what was going on anyway or cared. Now they act like they do. why? because of 24 hour a day fluff cycles. In doing so they cater more to the fans who love fluff over the fans who fell in love with the game.

thankfully there is still enough game for me, but the more they erode at it, the less likely I'll be watching. The less I watch, the less I pass on the love for football to my kids. Maybe they pick it up on their own, maybe they pick up on all the other things I do with them.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more they push political and social agendas, the less I watch. This happens for other sports as well, I was trying to watch the nba all star events last night and right in the middle they had some type of activist concert. I watch sports for sport, not to be told I’m a terrible person for not supporting different agendas or movements. Sports needs to nip that crap in the bud asap. I’ve turned off games already for players kneeling, if they keep going down that route I won’t have a problem stop watching forever despite being a packer fan for over 2 decades and nfl being a big part of my recreational life. I’m a former Marine, as is my step father, my brothers are cops, last thing I want to see are players wearing pigs in police uniform socks or players kneeling during the anthem when I’m trying to enjoy my Sunday off and watch some football. The players can do that crap on their own time if they’d like, just not on my tv. I just want sports to be sport again.

Reaction score
The NFL has pulled a fast one on its fans. It’s making it increasingly more difficult to access games without having pay subscriptions of one sort or another. I miss the days you could watch Monday Night Football with rabbit ears antennae.
The NFL used to be the class of sports in general, or at least they made you feel tha way... respectful, dignified. I, like many, used to watch as sort of a distraction from the drama
of everyday life. It is becoming the leader of that very drama I despise.
I have been recently reminded by my Lord time and again, I love sports but it’s just a game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about the kneeling, what's more American than protest? and at home, outside of the Super Bowl, it was rarely televised anyway . . .
I disagree, they made it a point to highlight it with cameras on these guys.

Protest if you want, I don't have a problem with it and I have the right to boycott games to express my opinion. In Kappernicks own words, he said "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". Now if you believe that most Americans are white racists, I don't know what to tell you. I would ask how the hell we elected a black president if we are all racists?

Anyway, it was ignorant and racist of Kappernick.

Our biggest issue in this country is a lack of respect. You can't protest something and offend 75% of people.

I think gay marriage is okay. Shall we protest gay marriage restrictions by urinating on statues of MLK? He was against gay marriage afterall. Or would that be wrong to offend all those who admire the guy?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People can do whatever they want to offend me, as long as it doesn't physically hurt me or my family. Pee on whatever. And I agree, they trained the cameras on these guys, because they want the fluff. They rarely showed the anthem on TV, then it became a necessity and they did it to take names and have something to talk about.

I don't want to get into the whole Kaep thing. I don't believe he thinks most of this country is white racists, but one only had to peruse a bit of social media commentary to see racism alive and well.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think institutional parity, trying to make all teams competitive, has gone a bit too far. I also think the limits on training camp and preseason preparation has led to the first four weeks being pretty damn sloppy. I really don't like the post-Peyton Manning DPI rules.

But, most of all, the overexposure has become unbearable with pundits beating to death every possible off-field story. The league is beginning to get into ouroboros territory where they not only start getting diminishing returns, but lose long-term support from people that don't like the 24/7/365 news cycle.

I can't give my money to people who don't like America. F them. We are flooded now at every game with honoring our vets. Sorry. You can't **** on them one minute and praise them the next. NFL thought Kappernick was a revolution and pimped him as a hero but the fact is 75% of America was offended. PC is nearing its end.

LOL

I always forget that there are people simpleminded enough to actually want this propagandizing flag worship and military fetishism, let alone people insecure enough to think that black men kneeling during the anthem was some pointed affront to veterans.

Luckily, every intelligent veteran that I know (who, by the way, are generally self-interested persons who enlisted because it offered better career advancement and social prestige than they could get in the private sector) think the "you're disrespecking our trooooops" crowd are mouth breathing idiots.

Also, your last post is one of the stupidest things I have ever read on the internet. I've never actually seen someone say "we can't be racists--- we elected Obama!" in real life.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

I always forget that there are people simpleminded enough to actually want this propagandizing flag worship and military fetishism, let alone people insecure enough to think that black men kneeling during the anthem was some pointed affront to veterans.

Luckily, every intelligent veteran that I know (who, by the way, are generally self-interested persons who enlisted because it offered better career advancement and social prestige than they could get in the private sector) think the "you're disrespecking our trooooops" crowd are mouth breathing idiots.

Also, your last post is one of the stupidest things I have ever read on the internet. I've never actually seen someone say "we can't be racists--- we elected Obama!" in real life.
And there it is. You don't agree so call me names and belitttle me. So arrogantly steadfast in your "truth" there can be no room for other opinions.

The struggle is real.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
There is a thread in the Adult Asylum to debate the protesting. https://www.packerforum.com/threads/disrespecting-our-national-anthem.75273/ Please take the debates on that subject to that thread.

As far as the NFL, it has lost some of it's shimmer to me because of a couple of things already mentioned. There are so many commercials, it takes forever to watch a game. Also, those who mentioned the high fees added to cable bills, etc. in order to watch events, are a deterrent for me. I just can't afford to spend that kind of money on sitting in front of a TV when I could be spending it on fishing lures. ;)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BINGO......here's the reason my wife and I hate watching TV period.
Watch a 1/2 hr. program and get 15 minutes of commercials with repeating commercials twice in those 15 minutes.
Talk about insulting your intelligence.

Sorry, maybe I should start another thread on the subject.
The DVR is your friend. I use mine all the time.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some people think they can have 'opinions' about facts. They often don't understand the difference, lack any sort of objectivity, or can't think outside their own perspective.

I thought the protests were a distraction. But I never failed to understand what the point of them was like "75% of Americans".

LOL.

Too much hype. Too many commercials. Thursday night football. The NFL is just plain too greedy and its a major turn-off.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many changes of rules, (what is a catch and what isn't), lack of discipline at the top, taking a knee, etc. etc.

Do you see the wheels coming off the NFL as we know it in the last couple years?

I do believe Roger Goodell is first and foremost the problem here. He himself has never played, never coached and knew nothing about football when he became the commissioner, in fact he was nothing but a wimpy limo driver. It takes some very stupid people to make a limo driver an NFL commissioner just because his dad was a politician. Make Mike Holmgren the next NFL commissioner and I guarantee this nonsense would stop.

I put Roger Goodell at the top because his CBA has caused injuries on a more frequent basis than any other time in NFL history. I can recall about 10 years ago the IR hardly ever had anyone in it, but now you see teams putting about 10 star players into it in a given season. I don't think you should wear players out in spring or summer minicamp training, but it's definitely clear the conditioning that should be making their bodies stronger is not being done anymore. Lack of technique coaching too I think is also bringing this about. Axe this CBA and let's get these weak players off the field.

I also think the greed of NFL owners is what's caused a bad product as well and while thankfully the Packers will never be leaving town, I think it's bad that you've got pigs out there moving their teams into LA and now Vegas (a totally dumb thing), and to me that really speaks volumes about how you really have no loyalty to those who've filled up your stadiums for years.

As to the commercial time, I think fans need to start asking the FCC to start punishing the NFL's advertisers when they take up too much air time. Stick a big old cap on commercial time and punish the NFL and TV networks hard for going over it with million-dollar fines for every second of commercial time that goes over the cap.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL has been losing me for a few years now.
Too much advertising, too many flags and too many replays.
If it wasn't for my beloved Green Bay Packers I probably wouldn't watch any games, at least in their entirety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there it is. You don't agree so call me names and belitttle me. So arrogantly steadfast in your "truth" there can be no room for other opinions.

The struggle is real.
I'd never belittle the Amish, especially not one in the Mafia. Even if we don't agree, you're still ok to me

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd never belittle the Amish, especially not one in the Mafia. Even if we don't agree, you're still ok to me
It doesn't bother me if I disagree with someone. Hell, i was going to meet CaptWimm for a beer when he was in town but his trip was cancelled. And there is nobody i disagree with more than Wimm. But I still respect him and his opinions.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my day, we didn't have limo drivers as commissioners. We had Football guys and we liked it! We loved it!! Now get the hell off my driveway....damn kids.

Members online

Latest posts