Your Do Not Draft List

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's much more fun to be positive in the lead up to the draft and I'm always a little hesitant to say who I DON'T want GB to take because I hate being down on their picks as soon as they're made. But we all have guys we don't like. Who are yours and why? For me, age, size, injury history and athleticism are usually the factors that steer me away from a prospect. Players that don't hit until they're older than the competition fail at a higher rate and players who are exceptions in terms of size and/or athleticism are usually bad bets.

Xavier Worthy & Troy Franklin: Despite the recent success of a some smaller receivers, I am still thoroughly out on guys that are this rail thin. I think being extremely skinny makes a player injury prone, unable to accrue YAC, easy to disrupt during a route, and poor at the catch point.

Troy Fautanu: What bothers me about Fautanu is age and when he broke out. He did not establish himself as a starter until his age 22 season and he wasn't dominant until he was a 23 year old. He will be 24 by week 6 of his rookie year. Compare that to a guy like Graham Barton (who is just straight up better) who was playing at 18 and starting by 19. You don't have to like it, but there is strong correlation between a younger breakout age and succeeding in the NFL. This ought to be common sense-- if you're already good AND you have more development in front of you, chances are you will be better than someone who is through more of their developmental years.

Tyler Guyton & Patrick Paul: Guyton and Paul are both on the older side AND the developmental side. They will be 23 year old rookies who will need at least a redshirt before you want them on the field regularly. 1) I don't want to invest high capital in guys who are old and yet need time. 2) It's a red flag that they're older than their peers but still raw. Furthermore, at 6'7" neither of them have a positional safety net; they make it at tackle or they wash out.

Cooper Beebe: I don't think that Beebe has the length or grip strength to be the player in the NFL that people think he will become. He's probably a guard only and I could see him failing to launch in the NFL just because defenders easily get into his chest and he struggles to stay engaged.

Jer'Zhan Newton: If the Packers draft a defensive lineman, I want someone who can bring a skill that they currently lack. Newton's size/game would be redundant, in my opinion, to Brooks and Wyatt. He doesn't bring the elite length of a Darius Robinson and he doesn't have the true 1T/3T versatility of a Byron Murphy.

Braden Fiske: There are a lot of red flags on Fiske. His length is in the bottom 5th percentile, which gets most of the attention. However, my bigger issue is that he's already 24 years old and didn't dominate in his last year of college. He was pretty good for Florida State, but not great. He was very good in the MAC, a la Karl Brooks. But I don't want to spend a top 50 pick on a guy who was very good in the MAC.

Payton Wilson: Stylistically, I think Wilson and Walker are too similar and wouldn't complement each other. Furthermore, Wilson is old (24 this month) and has an extensive injury history. The age bothers more less in his case (he was very good as a young player for NCSU), but I don't think linebacker and shoulder issues marry well.

Nate Wiggins: A lack of physicality and willingness in the running game and at the catch point were the biggest red flags on Wiggins' scouting report and then he weighed in over 6'1" and 173 pounds. The odds that his profile hits in the NFL are stupidly low. Let someone else make that mistake.

Tyler Nubin & Kam Kinchens: Both of these guys worked out in such a way that they would have to be outliers if they were going to hit in the NFL. It's possible that one or both are exceptions, but I like to let other teams draft exceptions.

Calen Bullock: I just fundamentally hate the idea of a safety being 6'2" and under 190 lbs. I am so sick of DB's who can't get guys on the ground.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add Amarius Mims to the list because he's been mocked to the Packers at 25 a lot, but there's one reason he worries me: injuries. He's a beast but I fear another Derrick Sherrod. And I'm not confident he's a Day 1 starter either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is tough, because many of the guys I have issues with us taking they end up being thought of as a lower grade for me, so like example Newton like you I see as redundant, but if he falls to 41 and Gute takes him I get it and wouldn't be mad....so perhaps I just interpret the question too deep.

If forced here are a few of my guys that I don't like that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jonah Ellis - Too small, I don't see it on film to be anything more than a third down edge type. If he goes in top 70 like many seem to think I'm just not on board with it at all.

Austin Booker - I know many are excited about his upside, but he has barely played at a program that isn't amazing and he cut down some significant weight from claimed 260s to 240 for the testing and still didn't put up amazing testing scores. Not always a fan of a guy transferring but I think Austin would have been better served transferring to a higher profile school for one year and coming out next year.....not a dice roll I want to take.

Blake Corum - Look this is the HARDEST one for me and is likely one of the hardest of any draft that I can say I don't want us to pick. Corum is a beast, has a heart of a giant...but his physical traits are just too much to overcome and continue to produce at the NFL level IMO. Now I will say if somehow Corum is still there on Day3 I warm up to the risk of such a size outlier just because I know his heart and his IQ may be able to be a back at the next level...MAYBE.

Marist Liufau - Being a Domer and a local to the team, I have seen a lot of Liufau and I just struggle with thinking he's of more value than like a 5th rounder. Yes he's athletic but to me it never translated into wow type plays or to the point I found myself on saturdays picturing him playing on sundays. He's also an older prospect who IMO still never blew up. Mid/Late Day 3 is about as high as I can get behind and desperately don't want GB to draft him before then. There are other prospects, even older ones that have popped far more (like Jordan Magee).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add Amarius Mims to the list because he's been mocked to the Packers at 25 a lot, but there's one reason he worries me: injuries. He's a beast but I fear another Derrick Sherrod. And I'm not confident he's a Day 1 starter either.
I don't think any of the tackles will be an immediate starter because we have two good tackles it seems. Not saying anything about Mims. But we do need one because I think we only have two. Again, just don't like very much the idea of drafting all purpose linemen. Guard, tackle/center are different positions imho.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Media types who mock Mims to Green Bay have not done their homework. He isn’t their type at all.

I think he’s interesting as a prospect, but he’s risky because if he fails to develop at tackle you really can’t do anything else with him.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Media types who mock Mims to Green Bay have not done their homework. He isn’t their type at all.

I think he’s interesting as a prospect, but he’s risky because if he fails to develop at tackle you really can’t do anything else with him.
I agree, and I don't think drafting "tackle" in the 1st is an option at this point. They are probably looking for a developmental guy, who can play multiple positions. Between Walker and Tom, they have their starters, and need someone to be that swing tackle... why pick someone in the first who will most likely not play much. That's where Barton has been a trendy pick, as he can start right away on the interior. Unfortunately, Barton has been crushing the draft process, which may take him out of the Packers reach unless they trade up.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is tough, because many of the guys I have issues with us taking they end up being thought of as a lower grade for me, so like example Newton like you I see as redundant, but if he falls to 41 and Gute takes him I get it and wouldn't be mad....so perhaps I just interpret the question too deep.

If forced here are a few of my guys that I don't like that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jonah Ellis - Too small, I don't see it on film to be anything more than a third down edge type. If he goes in top 70 like many seem to think I'm just not on board with it at all.

Austin Booker - I know many are excited about his upside, but he has barely played at a program that isn't amazing and he cut down some significant weight from claimed 260s to 240 for the testing and still didn't put up amazing testing scores. Not always a fan of a guy transferring but I think Austin would have been better served transferring to a higher profile school for one year and coming out next year.....not a dice roll I want to take.

Blake Corum - Look this is the HARDEST one for me and is likely one of the hardest of any draft that I can say I don't want us to pick. Corum is a beast, has a heart of a giant...but his physical traits are just too much to overcome and continue to produce at the NFL level IMO. Now I will say if somehow Corum is still there on Day3 I warm up to the risk of such a size outlier just because I know his heart and his IQ may be able to be a back at the next level...MAYBE.

Marist Liufau - Being a Domer and a local to the team, I have seen a lot of Liufau and I just struggle with thinking he's of more value than like a 5th rounder. Yes he's athletic but to me it never translated into wow type plays or to the point I found myself on saturdays picturing him playing on sundays. He's also an older prospect who IMO still never blew up. Mid/Late Day 3 is about as high as I can get behind and desperately don't want GB to draft him before then. There are other prospects, even older ones that have popped far more (like Jordan Magee).

You need to dig deep and find some hatred for some top 50 players. Enough of this namby pamby positivity.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to dig deep and find some hatred for some top 50 players. Enough of this namby pamby positivity.

LOL

Oh the main one was Wilson, but I wasn't looking to repeat any others mentioned - I'm a no go on him honestly before Day3.

Nubin you listed already but he is also off my draft board till Day 3.

Outside of them I'd say maybe the biggest profile types I'm struggling with is Javon Bullard - I struggle to see what many do. I think you transplant him out of that Georgia defense he is a clear 3rd/4th round guy....his film doesn't impress me enough to justify going him in the second over Hicks or Bishop or honestly I like Malik Mustapha more than Bullard even. So I guess you could say I'm out on Bullard

If you consider Ladd a top prospect - you can count me out. Smaller at 6 foot than I want, has failed to be on the field much and I don't see this insane ability others do. If he goes Top 50 I think that team failed.

I'll say I am not a fan of Graham Barton Day1...not a do not draft listee but a do not draft Day1 for me. I don't see a spot he is lights out Day1 good at out the gate. I don't see him playing a snap at a tackle spot in the pro's and I'm not drafting a transition OT -> OG Day1.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say I am not a fan of Graham Barton Day1...not a do not draft listee but a do not draft Day1 for me. I don't see a spot he is lights out Day1 good at out the gate. I don't see him playing a snap at a tackle spot in the pro's and I'm not drafting a transition OT -> OG Day1.
I"m hoping Barton will be there at #41 for the Packers. He'd be a great pick there but I fear he'll be gone by then. C. DeJean or Chop Robinson 1st round for my money.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I"m hoping Barton will be there at #41 for the Packers. He'd be a great pick there but I fear he'll be gone by then. C. DeJean or Chop Robinson 1st round for my money.

I would guess Barton is gone before #25. I think the league will like him more than players that are currently ahead of him on the consensus board like Fautanu and Powers-Johnson.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I don't see JPJ getting drafted by the Packers in Rd 1, but he can play Guard or Center. The Packers will draft Tackles or Centers who are position versatile. Another thing going against JPJ is he doesn't hit the Packers size thresholds (6'3" and 328lbs) If they ever went away from these height/weight thresholds, this would definitely be a guy on my short list to try it on.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One guy I absolutely don't want them to draft is Caleb Williams. That means they would have given a ton of capital ... To the Bears no less... to get him. On the other hand if a photo comes out on draft day of him kicking a puppy and he drops to #25 then I'd say Gute would be a fool to not take him. See below.
LOL

Oh the main one was Wilson, but I wasn't looking to repeat any others mentioned - I'm a no go on him honestly before Day3.

Nubin you listed already but he is also off my draft board till Day 3.

Outside of them I'd say maybe the biggest profile types I'm struggling with is Javon Bullard - I struggle to see what many do. I think you transplant him out of that Georgia defense he is a clear 3rd/4th round guy....his film doesn't impress me enough to justify going him in the second over Hicks or Bishop or honestly I like Malik Mustapha more than Bullard even. So I guess you could say I'm out on Bullard

If you consider Ladd a top prospect - you can count me out. Smaller at 6 foot than I want, has failed to be on the field much and I don't see this insane ability others do. If he goes Top 50 I think that team failed.

Regarding Barton, its kind of what oldschool and I have been saying. For some players there comes a point where you just have to say I can't afford not to take him here. If a guy drops far enough below his consensus ranking you would have to have some serious personal reasons for not taking him. By personal I mean as a GM evaluating a player and not liking him for legit reasons ( too slow, to short etc.) And not personal like I dont like all those tattoos. Or he kicked a puppy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Tyler Nubin every week for the past three seasons as a Gopher fan. He is a gamer. I get all of the combine/workout stuff causes players to move up and down draft boards, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Packers drafting him. He's a ball hawk that isn't afraid to make big hits in the run game - averages 50+ tackles each season. He was absolutely why the Gophers have had a top defense for the past few seasons and a team leader. Don't forget that he learned from and then took over from Antoine Winfield Jr. at safety. PJ Fleck's defensive staff has turned out good defensive players. IMO - he would be a smart pick anywhere from the low 2nd round down.

Reaction score
I’m really going off top of my head, but I’ve been Kinchens because his combine worries me. I suppose he could be the exception as in Brian Branch etc

Tanor Bortolini
Ever since We got Linsley I’ve appreciated upper body strength at Center. I think it’s a key component to being successful at Center.
Tanor was off the charts good in much of his testing. However his weight and upper body strength concern me (303lb-21 Reps)
I’d much rather have Beaux Limmer around that same draft area.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll play.

Don't want: Mims, Latham, Guyton, Paul

No Alabama or Georgia players. Don't trust them to bust double digits on Wonderlic. They are almost always overrated.
We've got two picks in the top 50. I don't want any of the offensive players in the top 50. For me, it's defense with the first two picks.
The honest truth is, on the consensus board, there is only 6 guys that we have a realistic shot at with picks 25&41 that I want. The other 44 can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

I like this thread.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ok, I'll play.

Don't want: Mims, Latham, Guyton, Paul

No Alabama or Georgia players. Don't trust them to bust double digits on Wonderlic. They are almost always overrated.
We've got two picks in the top 50. I don't want any of the offensive players in the top 50. For me, it's defense with the first two picks.
The honest truth is, on the consensus board, there is only 6 guys that we have a realistic shot at with picks 25&41 that I want. The other 44 can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

I like this thread.

Atta boy!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's an interesting comparison to consider regarding age and its potential impact:

Troy Fautanu:

-6036, 317#, 34.5 arms, 9.5 hands
-32.5" and 9'5" in the jumps
-1.71 and 5.01 split and 40 respectively
-9.45 RAS without agilities
-30 career starts, almost all at LT for Washington
-Born 10/11/2000 (23 years old)

Sean Rhyan:

-6045, 321#, 32.4" arms, 11" hands
-33.5" and 9'2" in the jumps
-1.77 and 5.25 split and 40 respectively
-4.81 and 7.55 in the SS and 3C
-9.35 RAS
-31 career starts, almost all at LT for UCLA
-Born 9/15/2000 (23 years old)

So here you have two extreme similar players: they are built similarly, they tested similarly, they were born less than a month apart, and they played basically the same role in the same conference. Fautanu did it at a higher level, no doubt, and his arm length might mean more versatility, but for the sake of this thought experiment, think of him as an interior guy, which is how almost all public scouting services see him.

Consider:

Fautanu:

-2019 (19 yo season): Redshirting on the defensive side of the ball
-2020 (20): Moved to OL; appeared in four games
-2021 (21): Played in 9 games, starting in three of them.
-2022 (22): Solidified as a starter; 2nd Team All P12
-2023 (23): High end starter; 1st Team All P12

Rhyan:

-2019 (19 yo season): Entrenched starter at LT as true freshman
-2020 (20): Remained starter at LT
-2021 (21): High end starter; 1st Team All P12
-2022 (22): "Redshirt" NFL rookie season
-2023 (23): Platooning at RG

So here's my point: Fautanu and Rhyan are the same age and came out in the same recruiting class. Fautanu basically didn't do anything until Rhyan was already in the NFL. Had Rhyan stayed in school for the last two seasons, would he have looked just as good? Better? We can't know-- but it's plausible. The counter is plausible too: is Fautanu really a premium talent? Or has he looked great because he's older? If he had joined the NFL in 2022 like Rhyan, would he have struggled mightily? I tend to think so.

I would guess 95+% of Packer fans would tell you that Fautanu would give them an instant upgrade at RG. I'm not sold. I think age is obscuring the reality. In Rhyan, they get virtually the same player but with two years of development already invested in him. Rhyan may not pan out, but he took a step from year one to year two, and it's very normal for players to take similar steps between years two and three. If he isn't a capable starter this season, then he probably won't become one.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard something the other day, concerning Kool-Aid's practice habits. Not working hard and not taking it seriously. If true, he would be on my list of do not take. Even if he still plays well, you can't have that example for the other teammmates.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard something the other day, concerning Kool-Aid's practice habits. Not working hard and not taking it seriously. If true, he would be on my list of do not take. Even if he still plays well, you can't have that example for the other teammmates.
Especially not with the youngest team in the league. You don't dare send the message that that sort of thing is acceptable if you're an important player.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with nearly all the names posted so far. The players listed are either too old, frequently injured or just aren't athletic enough. I would add Kitchens and don't want Nubin anywhere near Green Bay. The Gophers have a horrible track record of sending flawed players to the NFL. Campbell was a one hit wonder but most of the Gophers suck in the NFL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with nearly all the names posted so far. The players listed are either too old, frequently injured or just aren't athletic enough. I would add Kitchens and don't want Nubin anywhere near Green Bay. The Gophers have a horrible track record of sending flawed players to the NFL. Campbell was a one hit wonder but most of the Gophers suck in the NFL.
Antoine Winfield is an awesome NFL safety.

Reaction score
The more I think about it. Having Xavier really made it feasible to be able to (depends on the value) wait at Safety until that #88-169 at the latest. There’s a really good selection more mid draft. If we had
Our current Xavier McKinney paired with Hicks or Vaki or Bishop or even Tykee Smith or James Williams and I’m completely comfortable. Those guys are all either versatile or dynamic in their own ways. We’d be a much better group than 2023 immediately.

I’m also backing off of Kinchens and Nubin early in. Those were my earlier front runners, but I’d rather get a more athletic, bigger Box Safety. I still think while James Williams is an outlier in size (taller) and has some coverage limitations over the top, I still think once refined he can be really dynamic if given a more focused role shutting down underneath stuff for now, plus being an additive on Teams. I wouldn’t want to meet him head on as a return man that guy scares me.

Id rather use an earlier pick on Colson or Edgerrin if possible. Give me Walker paired with Colson and Xavier and Bishop and go after a good CB in that first 6 selections that can either push Stokes or provide top notch depth alongside Valentine and Balentine

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yikes I have to disagree. I’ve felt recently that MN has been doing quite solid, especially in relation to draftees.

Members online