WR reverse play

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone recall the Patriots play where the WR went in motion to the middle of the field and then reversed to the outside to get open ? I believe Shields got caught up in traffic trying to follow him. Who was the receiver ? An interesting play I have never seen before.

H

HardRightEdge

It's fairly common.

The play call may require the receiver to motion back and forth, or he may be in read mode, continuing across the field or reversing depending on how the defense reacts.

As with any motion, the object may be to get a read on whether the defense is in zone or man, to target a match-up, to ascertain if the corners stay fixed or match up #1 against #1, or to see how the safeties might be leaning. I'm sure there's an "etc." that could be put at the end of that list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My favorite in motion play is the "Jet or Fly Sweep". Something the Badgers had unbelievable success running with Melvin Gordon. I know Pro defenses are a lot faster then college but with both Cobb and now Montgomery, I would love to see the Packers use it in their offense. Periodically faking it as well for a hand off up the middle or a quick pass. This might loosen up the defenses on those short yardage 3rd and 4th down plays.

Last edited: