1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

WR reverse play

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Robert Mason, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136
    Does anyone recall the Patriots play where the WR went in motion to the middle of the field and then reversed to the outside to get open ? I believe Shields got caught up in traffic trying to follow him. Who was the receiver ? An interesting play I have never seen before.

2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
    It's fairly common.

The play call may require the receiver to motion back and forth, or he may be in read mode, continuing across the field or reversing depending on how the defense reacts.

As with any motion, the object may be to get a read on whether the defense is in zone or man, to target a match-up, to ascertain if the corners stay fixed or match up #1 against #1, or to see how the safeties might be leaning. I'm sure there's an "etc." that could be put at the end of that list.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,890
    My favorite in motion play is the "Jet or Fly Sweep". Something the Badgers had unbelievable success running with Melvin Gordon. I know Pro defenses are a lot faster then college but with both Cobb and now Montgomery, I would love to see the Packers use it in their offense. Periodically faking it as well for a hand off up the middle or a quick pass. This might loosen up the defenses on those short yardage 3rd and 4th down plays.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015