WR corps

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, Love IS an uncommon talent at his position. Very few players are available at his position that ever are reachable where we draft. Look back over the last 25-30 years at our 1st round picks. Not much there in the way of uncommon talent.

That uncommon talent is going to be uncommon on the actual field for 3 seasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Also, Love has lots of talent, but he also has a lot of question marks. I am happy for you however, that you're content with drafting a third-string QB with a first round pick who won't help the team for a minimum of 3 seasons.

Sounds like a post many probably made about Aaron Rodgers back in 2005 ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can you send me the years of retirement discussions that Rodgers has had recently? Because I must have missed those.

I never mentioned anything about Aaron threatening to retire. The Packers might have had other signals that made them want to start shopping for his replacement though. Can you present me with evidence that they didn't?

To put your reply in perspective, I was merely pointing out that the portion of your statement, that I quoted, was very similar to the questions around the Aaron Rodgers pick. He was selected when the Packers already had a HOF QB, who didn't immediately retire and actually ended up playing 3 more seasons for the Packers and a total of 6 more in the NFL. Like Love, there must have been a lot of question marks about Rodgers or he wouldn't of dropped to the Packers at #24. Rodgers basically sat on the bench for 3 seasons.

What am I missing from your statement that isn't similar to the Love pick?

Also, Love has lots of talent, but he also has a lot of question marks. I am happy for you however, that you're content with drafting a third-string QB with a first round pick who won't help the team for a minimum of 3 seasons.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never watched Love in college, except for one or two highlights after we drafted him. What I read is that he has Patrick Mahomes qualities in terms of a rocket arm, ability to drop the ball anywhere on the field, and immense physical abilities to make the plays happen. On the downside he threw a ton of picks last year, likely not seeing and diagnosing the field well enough.

We all obviously have to wait a few years to see what we got, but if he is able to learn how to be a great QB from Rodgers.....it'll all be worth it. GM's need to balance short and long term needs when drafting and using the salary cap. I still have no problem with this pick considering how Rodgers' play has been slowly deteriorating for the past few years. I love that he is on the top of his game right now, but it also reminds me of an old carbureted boat motor. Right before they run out of gas the engine revs really high and you get that last push of power....then nothing. Hopefully it's a bad analogy for Rodgers, but so far it fits the model.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was such a can't miss talent, that his own team drafted a QB in the 2nd round the year after drafting Rodgers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you referring to the electrifying QB Ingle Martin, drafted in the 5th round of 2006? The bottom of that draft class was filled with winners:

Abdul Hodge
Cory Rodgers
Will Blackmon (not bad actually)
Tony Moll
Tyrone Culiver
Dave Tollefson

Only Johnny Jolly really did anything from the bottom of that class.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you referring to the electrifying QB Ingle Martin, drafted in the 5th round of 2006? The bottom of that draft class was filled with winners:

Abdul Hodge
Cory Rodgers
Tony Moll
Tyrone Culiver
Dave Tollefson

I presume we're talking about Brian Brohm (sp?). Same draft that we got Matt Flynn in the 7th. They were meant to be insurance in case Rodgers fell flat his first year as a starter, so before the 2008 season.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Abdul Hodge
Cory Rodgers
Tony Moll
Tyrone Culiver
Dave Tollefson

Oh my goodness, I'm a little embarrassed!

I got my years way mixed up.

I was actually referring to Brian Brohm (2008 draft). GB took him in the 2nd round right before Aaron Rodgers was to start for the first year. I think my point still stands though. If he was some can't miss QB, they aren't doing that. There were a decent number of people that thought Brohm was better than Rodgers, too.

Brohm turned out to be a bust, and all's well that ends well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never mentioned anything about Aaron threatening to retire. The Packers might have had other signals that made them want to start shopping for his replacement though. Can you present me with evidence that they didn't?

To put your reply in perspective, I was merely pointing out that the portion of your statement, that I quoted, was very similar to the questions around the Aaron Rodgers pick. He was selected when the Packers already had a HOF QB, who didn't immediately retire and actually ended up playing 3 more seasons for the Packers and a total of 6 more in the NFL. Like Love, there must have been a lot of question marks about Rodgers or he wouldn't of dropped to the Packers at #24. Rodgers basically sat on the bench for 3 seasons.

What am I missing from your statement that isn't similar to the Love pick?

That, for years, the Packers didn't know if Favre was going to retire that year, so they needed a replacement soon. The Packers KNOW Rodgers isn't retiring anytime soon, so there was no rush to replace him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That, for years, the Packers didn't know if Favre was going to retire that year, so they needed a replacement soon. The Packers KNOW Rodgers isn't retiring anytime soon, so there was no rush to replace him.

Again, you are telling me something I knew, acknowledged and wasn't trying to debate with you. Go back and read your post and my response. I was merely saying the situations had some similarities to them. Plus, as we all eventually admit, we don't have all the facts. Who is to say Rodgers wasn't threating things or vice versa? None of us fully knows what fully goes on behind the scenes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Did I say every single case? Or generally? I get it, we had some rookies over the years step right in and never ever look back. Jenkins most recently, Tauscher comes to mind, etc.

In general I believe that successful teams need some rookies to have an impact.

Your opinion. Guys with Love’s physical abilities are seldom available to us considering our normal draft position.

It's not an opinion but a fact. 32 quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round from 2006-17 with Mahomes being the only one aside pf Rodgers on path to becoming a HOFer. Yet some fans believe the Packers are the only team in the league capable of correctly evaluating talent at the position.

Again, just your opinion. We (you included) know absolutely nothing about what staff and management felt about the current players on the roster prior to the draft and what the draft board looked like.

It's not an opinion that the Packers spending their first round pick on any other position would have had a larger impact this season than using it on a quarterback who isn't even active on game day either.

Like Love, there must have been a lot of question marks about Rodgers or he wouldn't of dropped to the Packers at #24.

The difference being that Rodgers was considered a possible first overall pick who dropped to the 24th pick while the Packers seemed to reach for Love.

GB took him in the 2nd round right before Aaron Rodgers was to start for the first year. I think my point still stands though. If he was some can't miss QB, they aren't doing that.

True, but that doesn't have any bearing on the current situation with Love.

In my opinion Packers fans need to stop acting as if Love will automatically follow the same path as Rodgers solely based on him being put in a similar position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even think about Love. I was OK with the pick and I am OK with waiting to see what happens. Rodgers did not look real good last year and I was thinking he might be coming to his end. That he is playing great is great. But he can't play forever. I'll be surprised if Brady lasts much longer. He made a few good moves in the pocket against chicago but he looks his age. I wonder what Love would cost us if Rodgers keeps playing through his whole rookie contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In general I believe that successful teams need some rookies to have an impact.

It's not an opinion but a fact. 32 quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round from 2006-17 with Mahomes being the only one aside pf Rodgers on path to becoming a HOFer. Yet some fans believe the Packers are the only team in the league capable of correctly evaluating talent at the position.

It's not an opinion that the Packers spending their first round pick on any other position would have had a larger impact this season than using it on a quarterback who isn't even active on game day either.

The difference being that Rodgers was considered a possible first overall pick who dropped to the 24th pick while the Packers seemed to reach for Love.

True, but that doesn't have any bearing on the current situation with Love.

In my opinion Packers fans need to stop acting as if Love will automatically follow the same path as Rodgers solely based on him being put in a similar position.

I have smugly referred to Love as our next HOF QB on several occasions. :cool:

That being said, to project HOF QB’s from 2016 is a tad premature imo.

Imo, Love has phenomenal arm and leg ability and I did see draft projections as high as the 6th pick though I must admit I don’t do a lot of research and don’t put a lot of stock in draft projections. The fact that Gutekunst traded up to 26 to get Love tells me that he and his scouts had him rated very high and couldn’t let this opportunity pass by.

Love is not an automatic lock to be successful. Much work to be done. He’s not a generational elite polished talent like Elway, P. Manning and Luck. Neither were Favre and Rodgers.
Imo, Love does possess eye popping arm, leg and fluidity talent that cannot be taught.

Basically, what all this comes down to is that many people want the Packers to draft college players and build the roster like the Vikings, Bears and Lions do. I very much prefer we not take that approach to drafting and roster building. I prefer the Wolf, Thompson and Gutekunst way.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have smugly referred to Love as our next HOF QB on several occasions. :cool:

That being said, to project HOF QB’s from 2016 is a tad premature imo.

Imo, Love has phenomenal arm and leg ability and I did see draft projections as high as the 6th pick though I must admit I don’t do a lot of research and don’t put a lot of stock in draft projections. The fact that Gutekunst traded up to 26 to get Love tells me that he and his scouts had him rated very high and couldn’t let this opportunity pass by.

Love is not an automatic lock to be successful. Much work to be done. He’s not a generational elite polished talent like Elway, P. Manning and Luck. Neither were Favre and Rodgers.
Imo, Love does possess eye popping arm, leg and fluidity talent that cannot be taught.

Basically, what all this comes down to is that many people want the Packers to draft college players and build the roster like the Vikings, Bears and Lions do. I very much prefer we not take that approach to drafting and roster building. I prefer the Wolf, Thompson and Gutekunst way.

They all built in different ways. Wolf did say he regretted not getting Favre more help at receiver. Ted built an amazing front office but fell apart once those other guys became GMs, while Gute appears to be more of a traditional approach GM. Love has immense physical skills but last year he showed he has a lot to learn on the mental aspect. I don't dislike Love as a player, I dislike taking a guy that won't be a good draft pick until Rodgers leaves.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That back-shoulder throw to MVS in the Falcons game is all we really needed to see if we can rely on MVS. We cant. Hope EQ & Adams returns after our bye. Lazard may be back later in the season but core injuries are no joke. Glad to see Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams stepping up.

I'm not sure if this was discussed earlier but it really would've been really nice if we drafted a WR this year. Of the three OL we drafted we only kept Runyan (Stepniak is injured and redshirt year for Hanson). KJ Hill or Donovan Peoples-Jones would've been nice late-round pickups.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cmon man. Cam Newton and Matt Ryan may make the HOF. Andrew Luck (had he been healthy and wanted it) would have been up there too.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That back-shoulder throw to MVS in the Falcons game is all we really needed to see if we can rely on MVS. We cant. Hope EQ & Adams returns after our bye. Lazard may be back later in the season but core injuries are no joke. Glad to see Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams stepping up.

I'm not sure if this was discussed earlier but it really would've been really nice if we drafted a WR this year. Of the three OL we drafted we only kept Runyan (Stepniak is injured and redshirt year for Hanson). KJ Hill or Donovan Peoples-Jones would've been nice late-round pickups.

That one play is the determining factor? I don't really buy that logic. He also made a clutch pass on 3rd and 10 for a first down. What if that one play was all we really needed to see?

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That one play is the determining factor? I don't really buy that logic. He also made a clutch pass on 3rd and 10 for a first down. What if that one play was all we really needed to see?
Thats all I needed to see.

Members online

No members online now.