Would Packers Do A Von Miller Type Of Deal?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that Rodgers has a pretty big contract, but $70M guaranteed on a $114.5M 6yr contract for Miller is HUGE for a non-quarterback. Had this been the Packers keeping a Super Bowl team together in a similar situation, would you want us to pay the guy or let him walk and spread the money around to keep more of the team together?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I realize that Rodgers has a pretty big contract, but $70M guaranteed on a $114.5M 6yr contract for Miller is HUGE for a non-quarterback. Had this been the Packers keeping a Super Bowl team together in a similar situation, would you want us to pay the guy or let him walk and spread the money around to keep more of the team together?
I wouldn't complain about the Packers signing a great young defensive player to a 6/114m deal. I wouldn't want to see anymore than 45M guaranteed though.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There should be much more guaranteed money for NFL players period. Of all the major sports the NFL offers the least amount of guaranteed money and its players take way more risk than the other 3 sports with their health.

I love football, but the NFL and the owners need to take better care of their players.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that 70M guarantee is pretty huge. Damn. BUT, he was the reason they won that Super Bowl. I guess he's getting paid like it. Right now today? No, i wouldn't want anyone getting that type of contract on our team.

I get the part about it being the most violent sport of the 3, but there's always trade offs. I'd hate basketball, I'd especially hate baseball. All that travel, all that time away from family, and that long *** season. No thanks. But back to football, on the flip side, taking care of players is one thing, having to commit large guarantees to a player that may not play out a contract and thus hamstring the rest of the team because of the salary cap is another.

It's a nice blend, good balance I think. Because of the variability in the availability and the level at which they can come back in football, will always keep the guaranteed money lower than the rest. Regardless, if they make the team, they're looking at a few hundred thousand dollars a year. I'm not feeling badly for them. My friend tore his knee playing beer league softball, nobody was looking out for him :) to top it off, less than a week after surgery, he caught his brace on the top stair and fell all the way down. Trip to the ortho #2 with 6 or 7 pins and a couple plates for his wrist.

Stuff happens to all of us, they get paid pretty well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There should be much more guaranteed money for NFL players period. Of all the major sports the NFL offers the least amount of guaranteed money and its players take way more risk than the other 3 sports with their health.

I love football, but the NFL and the owners need to take better care of their players.
Salary cap keeps the game interesting. Keeping the game interesting has expanded the popularity to eclipse all the other sports by a significant margin. Competitive advantage can be maintained and owners won't get saddled with one contract with guaranteed money when that players drops off the cliff or gets injured.

With a salary cap all teams are close to competitive. Teams pay out an amount of money every season, what does it matter if a some get a lot or a bunch of players get less?

The popularity of football has generated enormous revenue. The players get their %. Baseball players were far more greedy demanded guarantees and a much bigger %. They won but in the end they lost. Their greed destroyed competitiveness and interst in the game. Revenue has decreased, let alone keeping the pace with the NFL. Baseball got a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

NFL players owe a huge debt of gratitude to Gene Upshaw who brilliantly worked with Roselle to build a bigger pie.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets are paying Mo Wilkerson something like 5 year/ $86 million now. Is he really $7 million a year better than Daniels?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets are paying Mo Wilkerson something like 5 year/ $86 million now. Is he really $7 million a year better than Daniels?

I don't think you can compare any deal to the Mike Daniels deal. I don't know what kind of voodoo the Packers worked, but that contract is a complete bargain. The Packers were able to lockup arguably the best player on the defense for 4-years with only $12M guaranteed. The Daniels deal is like the Steph Curry deal, it is so good that it doesn't make sense.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/mike-daniels/

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you can compare any deal to the Mike Daniels deal. I don't know what kind of voodoo the Packers worked, but that contract is a complete bargain. The Packers were able to lockup arguably the best player on the defense for 4-years with only $12M guaranteed. The Daniels deal is like the Steph Curry deal, it is so good that it doesn't make sense.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/mike-daniels/

No kidding. I didn't realize how solid a deal it was until now, but it looks like a crazy bargain at the moment with what other guys are getting paid.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet some were upset a year ago at the thought of offering Daniels 8M a year. I agree, we got a great deal with him.

To answer the original question, I think we would give out a Von Miller type contract, if we had a Von Miller type defensive player.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Bye bye mr miller... and i thought 10/yr was high for daniels. The 12 mil guaranteed is something I didnt consider for daniels though. If he doesnt perform or has bad long term injury. It seems he could be dropped or traded fairly painlessly. So its high risk/ high reward for daniels if he continues to play well he gets paid. He falls off and he could be dropped.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But there are plenty of folks, even in this thread, who would argue for higher guarantees - if the player no longer performs, so what?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
But there are plenty of folks, even in this thread, who would argue for higher guarantees - if the player no longer performs, so what?
Not me.

I think it's great that Thompson and Ball are able to sign guys to long term contracts with only 10-12 million guaranteed. Let the fools out there give away the huge guarantees. It has improved our position a great deal over the years by the risk of financial suicide that some of these teams continue to commit.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

If the guaranteed money was much higher, the term lengths of the contracts would be much shorter. It would be really dumb for general managers to throw out huge guarantees needlessly. Really bad financial risk and cap management to do that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually Von Miller's deal includes $42 million in fully guaranteed money. His 2018 and '19 base salary will get guaranteed if he's on the roster at the start of the 2017 and '18 league year respectively.

I guess the Packers would sign a star defensive player to a similar deal but mostly the team's front office is pretty smart about contracts like that by agreeing to an extension at least a season in advance before a core player becomes a free agent, thereby saving a ton of money and cap space.

Members online

Latest posts